Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 602 603 [604] 605 606 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5859121 times)

Mr. Argent

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:TRAITOROUS_NATURE]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #9045 on: December 22, 2010, 08:43:54 pm »

I've done some save deleting, so unfortunately Oraclepaddle fell because of the fact that the universe that contained it collapsed.

Now i'm experimenting with War/hunting Fluffy Wamblers.
Urist McVenom Cancels strange mood: Being exiled.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9046 on: December 22, 2010, 08:45:40 pm »

I just pitted 7 kittens into the caverns to explore.

Then I remembered the forgotten beast lurking down there, the feathered leech with webs.

Then I smiled, just a little.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Mr. Argent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9047 on: December 22, 2010, 08:52:13 pm »

GENTLEMEN, BEHOLD! THE ULTIMATE SOLDIERS!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9048 on: December 22, 2010, 08:52:59 pm »

Good god.

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9049 on: December 22, 2010, 09:10:52 pm »

GENTLEMEN, BEHOLD! THE ULTIMATE SOLDIERS!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You, sir/ma'am, are indeed awesome. Make sure to post the results of your first battle using them.

Mr. Argent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9050 on: December 22, 2010, 09:41:20 pm »

I didn't take all 400, mind. Didn't want lag death before i even got started! however, once i can get into some combat with them i'll post the log.

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9051 on: December 22, 2010, 10:04:35 pm »

My fort, Craftedplain, wasn't perfect sealed, and a whole herd of a dozen elephants walked along the walls to get to inside.  I have driven away or killed most of them, but lost 4 of my 7 military dwarves.  I think my fort is channeling Boatmurdered!  There are still 3 to kill...
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9052 on: December 22, 2010, 10:08:28 pm »

a whole herd of a dozen elephants walked along the walls to get to inside

I would like to see this illustrated.  The narrower the wall, the better!
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

ImaDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9053 on: December 22, 2010, 10:15:34 pm »

My 3 man squad's militia leader grew attached to his his Cotton Candy Short sword, it was forged out of my last Cotton Candy, he better not die and lose the sword!

Dunc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9054 on: December 22, 2010, 10:22:29 pm »

Today I made a fort that uses an askari-based army.

My fort is an above-ground city out in the desert. After my population was twenty-something, the fort's citizenry became a closed-shop and any new migrants were now colonial askari. When a migrant wave arrives at the fort, they are all drafted, given an iron spear, and told to start sparring at the barracks. No armour allowed except for the citizen officers, who wear plate armour and are marksdwarves, and serve to keep the askaris in line.

Threats are dealt with by dwarven waves of spear-wielding unarmoured soldiers. I haven't had any sieges yet, just a few ambushes, so I'm not sure how bad casualties are going to be yet. So far my only military losses have been in sparring (no wooden weapons allowed.. learn to use your combat weapon) except for a couple askari who have been out on patrol and discovered ambushes without backup.

The first askari wave was a pretty awesome scene though. Ten migrants arrive in the desert colony and immediately are drafted and told to go get a spear. Before they can do so, a giant eagle swoops in and kills one of them instantly. Moments later, they see a flurry of crossbow bolts and the eagle drops. The Colonel has just welcomed them to Africa.

I've started rewarding particularly brave and effective askaris by letting them wear leather armour, more for bragging rights than for actual protection. The latest leathered askari won his for getting a hat trick of three sparring dwarfkills. I don't imagine anyone likes doing spear drill with him anymore. I can't wait to unleash him in a siege situation.

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9055 on: December 22, 2010, 10:32:32 pm »

a whole herd of a dozen elephants walked along the walls to get to inside

I would like to see this illustrated.  The narrower the wall, the better!

Shoot, I wish I'd thought to get that...  Now several more made their way in, and I've lost all but one of my dwarves.  Fortunately, the surviving guard of the dwarven caravan has killed two or three of them.  There're now...  6 left.  Time to start training.
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9056 on: December 22, 2010, 11:10:39 pm »

Shoot, I wish I'd written a story about this 'un, because this elephants gig is getting out of my hand.  My last soldier is currently bedridden with a broken spine and there are four elephants rampaging around my fort.  Fortunately, I've almost tamed 8 that I captured, and they will soon be war elephants, muahaha!  Then their former compatriots will KNOW DWARVEN (elephantine) FURY! RAWR

Drenake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9057 on: December 22, 2010, 11:15:07 pm »

I just got my first ambush in my last fortress.

A Goblin Swordsman just killed one of my starting dwarf, who was a legendary marksdwarf, legendary archer and high master ambusher... with no bolts left :S

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9058 on: December 22, 2010, 11:38:14 pm »

Fortunately, I've almost tamed 8 that I captured, and they will soon be war elephants, muahaha!  Then their former compatriots will KNOW DWARVEN (elephantine) FURY! RAWR
If you just tame and release the animal it'd immediately run back to where it was caught and fight its old buddies in your steed... Really should have done that sooner :D
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Slade Beds

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9059 on: December 23, 2010, 12:14:22 am »

I tunneled into the caves, on what turned out to be the 2nd level. I realized there were caves above it and bored a hole in the wall to send in my weavers for more cave spider silk. After checking the unit list to see if there was anything immediately dangerous in there, a forgotton beast came into view... and another... and another... and another. Two of them were killed in the battle that followed, leaving only a humanoid made out of pig iron and some kind of eyeless sauropod that spewed clouds of boiling gas. They lost a foot and a hand, respectively, but killed all my dwarves except for the mayor, who walled himself in his bedroom and went mad, and some migrants which were killed horribly after they tried to harvest plants. This was my second year and I had no military to speak of.
Pages: 1 ... 602 603 [604] 605 606 ... 3836