Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 811444 times)

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: THE HYPE TRAIN HAS REACHED ITS DESTINATION
« Reply #3030 on: November 10, 2015, 11:45:46 pm »

*Sigh* Nope. My laptop will definitely not handle the game. Ah fuck. :( No Fallout 4 for me for a few months.

It isnt out on PS3, is it? That's all I have.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3031 on: November 10, 2015, 11:51:39 pm »

I really liked this review (it's a two-parter).

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3032 on: November 11, 2015, 12:12:30 am »

*Sigh* Nope. My laptop will definitely not handle the game. Ah fuck. :( No Fallout 4 for me for a few months.

It isnt out on PS3, is it? That's all I have.

Dosent look like it. PS4 and the Xbone, yes.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3033 on: November 11, 2015, 12:16:33 am »

That review was hilarious! Thank you. Love me some Conan!
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3034 on: November 11, 2015, 12:30:42 am »

That's odd. Usually both male and female characters would have the same backstory (previous Bethesda), or let you choose a backstory (DA:O). Even in Fable III you were either a prince or a princess, the only change was your girlfriend or boyfriend at the start of the game.

not so much in fallout 4. If you explore the pre-war house and examine all the objects and stuff, it gives both the male and female their own background sort of. You can still decide the future of the character, just not the past part of it, unless you ignore the pre-war stuff.

And yeah I can see how you'd be forced to use a gun and stuff, but it still felt more jarring as the female who presumably never used a gun (guess you could make it where she went to the gun range or something), where as the male almost for sure did.

But if you ignore the settlement part (which seems to be a big feature of the game), the pacing is still a bit weird overall, which probably makes the female not as fun to play (at least for me). The pacing even when skipping the settlement stuff, doesn't seem quite right. It was good in the pre-war, good in the vault...but get outside and suddenly a whole bunch of stuff is thrown at you. Heck, it only took 15 minutes of leaving the vault to meet and join a faction, about 3-4 minutes to get power armor (but can't use it very much, so its not OP, the power cells are very rare it seems) and it all seems not like how fallout 3/nv and even skyrim was paced at. Which goes back to the male's backstory kinda makes it better in that he'd probably already have some experience in a survival setting. And I don't even rush through games, it takes me ages to even finish the main quest or do anything in most open world games lol. But fallout 4 pacing seems...vastly different than anything else by bethesda. And its like an entirely different game to me almost, so much is different.

I do love fallout 4 a lot, it just doesn't seem like a bethesda game at all. Its so different than fallout 3 and NV (which wasn't bethesda) or even skyrim. And the pacing is...not quite right. its like the game could have been from a different company to me lol.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3035 on: November 11, 2015, 01:16:08 am »

Bethesda certainly learned one of the most important lessons of FO3. All of the settlements, Boston in particular, are fucking wonderful. No giant walls of rubble, no empty white shells you can't enter. Granted, the majority of buildings are still shells, but any given area will have at least 2-3 buildings which you can enter and/or climb without ever having a loading screen, and a couple more with discrete interiors. You can navigate anywhere in the city through the streets and alleys, and most places with rooftop/elevated highway freerunning mixed with occasional dips down to street level to cross an alley to another fire escape or something. This is the urban exploration & combat experience I desperately missed in both FO3 and NV.

See that white scope I found for my sniper rifle?

It can't be all good, though.

Also!

I'm definitely loving the new dialogue system.
Gone are the days of the Skyrim/Oblivion camera-grab! Gone are the days of staring at expressionless AI faces as they drone on!

Now it feels like they actually put effort into the dialogues. The use of camera angles and actual facial expressions (while not as good as they could be) make the experience so much more cinematic.
The best part? You can literally walk away. No button to close the dialogue, just start moving away from the person you're talking to.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3036 on: November 11, 2015, 01:20:39 am »

So I'm still not quite getting the point of Settlements.
I mean, sure, they're cool. But what else do they provide other than shops and crafting stations? Both of which aren't exclusive to settlements. (but settlement shops can apparently hold the best items?)

So far the 'actual' benefits I'm seeing are monetary income and minuteman support. Though I'm still not clear on the details of the latter. The minuteman guy tells you that you'll get more support as your influence grows, but what exactly does that mean? Does more soldiers assigned to defense mean more people helping me? Is it just more total population = more help? Or something else..?

But yeah. Are there any other benefits to building settlements than what I stated?
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3037 on: November 11, 2015, 01:26:15 am »

You can use that flare gun he gives you to call for backup.

But yeah, mostly shops since there are a lot fewer in FO4 than in previous games. Also, safe place to dump your loot and craft.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3038 on: November 11, 2015, 01:27:59 am »

Can you modify the flare gun?
Black lives matter.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3039 on: November 11, 2015, 01:32:11 am »

building buildings is driving me INSANE. such a horrible way to do it.
also, keybindings. i always have to take my hand from the fuckin mouse cause i have to use the bloody enter key to confirm scrap or store, and i cant rebind it.
bloody mess this ui. no idea if i would have enjoyed this with a better ui, but as it is, i totally HATE it.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3040 on: November 11, 2015, 02:33:45 am »

Well, guess it's best for me to stop reading this thread 'til I get a chance to play the game.
Hopefully two of my housemates and I will be all chipping in to buy it soon.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3041 on: November 11, 2015, 02:38:48 am »

So far, I have not encountered any annoying children.
Then again..
I have not been to
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
yet. :p

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3042 on: November 11, 2015, 02:45:49 am »

So uh is there anyway to get the dog back? I lost him in the first 5 minutes of having him. I have no idea where he went, he just up and disappeared.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3043 on: November 11, 2015, 02:48:53 am »

So uh is there anyway to get the dog back? I lost him in the first 5 minutes of having him. I have no idea where he went, he just up and disappeared.
Probably fell through the world like all the other Bethesda games. There will likely already be a step by step on how to teleport NPCs back to you or maybe the commands haven't even changed from the third game.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3044 on: November 11, 2015, 03:02:57 am »

The ref IDs are probably different, but this runs on creation engine which has identical steps for that, yeah.
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 462