Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 431 432 [433] 434 435 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 808168 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: It Just Works
« Reply #6480 on: December 03, 2016, 11:29:24 pm »

..I've never seen any mod out there use a SWF file. I've seen java programs that run semi-externally, i've seen normal ESP/ESM/BSA sorta mods, but I can't honestly say that any mod I've ever seen that's legit uses Flash.

The inventory screen from Skyrim is in flash, for some reason, and so was SkyUI, which replaced it.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #6481 on: December 03, 2016, 11:30:52 pm »

The inventory screen from Skyrim is in flash, for some reason, and so was SkyUI, which replaced it.
Wait what.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6482 on: December 04, 2016, 08:46:42 am »

So, I'm having a bit of a problem with the workshop. In-game workshop, not mod workshop. In short, items and building parts are not rotating right, snapping between 8 positions (which I suspect are the cardinal directions) only and clipping through everything, or sometimes even being able to be placed in the air. It makes it awkward to build stuff.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6483 on: December 04, 2016, 09:25:55 am »

You have rotation snapping enabled, I can't remember the hotkey to toggle it without having a keyboard in front of me, but it's one of the symbols more to the left side of the toolbar, next to the snap-to-grid and snap-to-reference toggles.
Love, scriver~

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6484 on: December 04, 2016, 10:07:34 am »

You have rotation snapping enabled, I can't remember the hotkey to toggle it without having a keyboard in front of me, but it's one of the symbols more to the left side of the toolbar, next to the snap-to-grid and snap-to-reference toggles.
Uh... what toolbar?

And by the looks of it, the key to toggle it is not available in the FO4 options.

EDIT: Trying to search the internet about this problem only returns stuff about walls snapping to each other and such. I suppose I should make it clear that this is not the case. For instance, I want to place a bed inside the red rocket: trying to rotate it causes it to switch between 8 "directions" and nothing in-between. Moving the bed into the air or inside a wall causes it to rotate properly so long as it is in an invalid position. Moving it back where it can be placed causes it to behave oddly again. I pressed pretty much every key in my keyboard with the item selected and deselected and it did fuck-all, so I don't think it is that.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 10:32:30 am by Teneb »
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6485 on: December 04, 2016, 03:54:31 pm »

I apologize, I read this:
In-game workshop, not mod workshop
...as it's opposite. Disregard what I said in the previous post.

I'm not sure what is causing it. It's been a while since I played, hut iirc the presence of other items or assets would sometimes cause the rotation/placing to become problematic. It took a lot of fiddling and/order collision toggling to get it right.

You can toggle folission by opening the console and typing in tcl. Any item or furniture you place in the workshop afterwards will lack collision until you toggle it back on (tcl again). However, when evaluating the placement-validity of new assets the workshop will still recognise the colission fields of stuff placed before the toggle, but selecting an item and then tab-cancelling to make it return to it's previous position will also disable collision.

...am I being too vague? I'm not the best at writing clear descriptions.
Love, scriver~

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6486 on: December 05, 2016, 05:02:41 am »

I might have gone a little overboard with the settlement designing...

I started by building this 4-story concrete, communist, haven:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Then I tried my hand at the DLC that lets you build factories and ended up building a gigantic factory behind it:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Pretty sure I've exceeded Starlight's settlement limit by 10 - 20x.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6487 on: December 05, 2016, 05:24:37 am »

Throw in some ghouls/raiders/synths/super mutants and that looks like it'd be a pretty fun dungeon.

What? Admit it, Fallout 4 is D&D with guns.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6488 on: December 05, 2016, 07:35:22 am »

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6489 on: December 05, 2016, 10:38:55 am »

I've been making neat little specialized settlements and thought that was a nifty time-consuming project. I should really put more time into beautification projects.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6490 on: December 05, 2016, 01:59:42 pm »

Heh, thanks guys.

It took way too long and most of it was spent trying to create an infinite, perfect loop for the factory. I gave up on that though, when I finally accepted how limited and worthless the factory tools are.

Seriously, some of the directions for the sorters and conveyer belts only go one direction and not the other. So if you wanted to sort your items leftwards instead of right, it's not possible. Why?

Also there's a way to take items out of a container but none to put items back into a container.

I spent so long on the stupid, super factory only to delete all of it and made a bunch of simple machines instead... sigh...

---

You know what's the funny part? All of it is completely pointless. There is literally no reason to do any of this.

Because you get instant access to your storage in any settlement, it's faster and easier for you to craft the items yourself in your workbenches than to wait for the factory to slowly make them one by one. Also they don't work when you're not in the area so you can't go away and come back to a million bullets.

I'd say the only reason you'd need this is to make stuff you can't craft yourself, like fresh processed food or armor but... do you really need those things? There's so much of it in the wasteland.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6491 on: December 05, 2016, 02:52:28 pm »

Honestly, I think it's there just so people who are inclined to make awesome factories can. Or flavor. I mean, having a trading post settlement manufacturing weapons to 'sell' is a lot more flavorful than it just being implied.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6492 on: December 05, 2016, 03:10:18 pm »

I mean for as inefficient and rough around the edges it can be, I appreciate that there's at least an attempt to make it an occasionally immersive FPSRPG. Sure, mods do a lot of the work, but at least there's some foundation to work off of. Better than half the games that come out nowadays. I'm gonna go apply my gold bond and talk about Reagan at the bingo parlor now.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6493 on: December 05, 2016, 05:05:11 pm »

Here's more problems with the factories:
1. What the vacuum hopper considers to be a container is completely arbitrary. Crates aren't containers apparently but dressers are. But in this case we're hooking it up to the workshop itself so that should theoretically work unless it decides it doesn't want to, which happens.

2. The hopper sucks in materials by batches. So it will suck in ALL the plastic before sucking in ALL the lead and so forth. So if you're waiting on your gun, and you have 100 lead bars in line before you have 100 plastic pumpkins... well... you'll be waiting awhile.

3. The hopper doesn't have a filter. It sucks in everything. So lets say you only need copper, lead, and plastic. Well, it's sending in EVERYTHING so wait while it goes through every single thing in its glacial pace in addition to problem #2. I hope you don't have a farm or a water filter in this system because that's going in there too.

4. Component sorters sort ALL of the material you've asked them to sort. This really frigging sucks. Do you know why? Because it means if you want to make more than one thing that uses plastic in the same chain, that ain't happening. If you ask sorter A to sort all the lead, no one else is getting lead. So in this scenario, you can only have one weapon factory MAX. There is a workaround though, you can use lasers and timing to split the lead into two different routes and send them into different lines. Theoretically. Practically however... well... see point #8.

5. I hope you weren't planning on putting your factories on the left-hand side of the conveyor belt, because there's no way to do that in the game. Unless you make the world's largest u-turn because the turning conveyor belts are like 6 tiles long for some reason. Or you can use rollers, which don't work. I don't think anyone actually tested the rollers because they straight up don't work.

6. You have to go manually collect your guns yourself because there's no way to deposit them directly into something. There's no reverse vacuum hopper. You can put them into that dedicated storage thing but you can't make an infinite chain by depositing stuff into the workshop again.

7. I hope you weren't planning to have anything on one elevation pane above or below, because there's no way to do that. You can only do TWO elevation planes above and below, mwahahaha. By the way there's only a lift up, not a lift down. If you want to go back down 2 levels you need to use the massive giant hopper.

8. The joints and junctions for the conveyor belts are almost useless. Most of them have rollers on them, which are actually completely unworkable in-game because your stuff gets stuck on them. Other than that they are really, really, REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY hard to line up with your existing conveyor belts. Because all the corner pieces are like 6 tiles long, it's like trying to hook up those giant tetris L shapes by their ends.

It's really frigging dumb. I really hate how you can't make an automated food factory that produces something other than ONE type of food at a time. There has to be a mod that gives more sorter options or something.

Or maybe it's best if there isn't. I've already spent like 20 hours on this thing as it is.

------

I'm going to put aside the factory stuff for now though.

I still haven't checked out the arena stuff, the robots, or the raiders yet.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6494 on: December 05, 2016, 05:24:04 pm »

in vanilla you cannot make ammo or non-healing/food items so there's a purpose for these tools despite them being kind of terrible.

But then again who plays Bethesda RPGs without mods?  :P
Pages: 1 ... 431 432 [433] 434 435 ... 462