Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: The Bay12 DF Gladiator Challenge Tournament - Reborn! III  (Read 27957 times)

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
The Bay12 DF Gladiator Challenge Tournament - Reborn! III
« on: July 14, 2015, 05:35:52 pm »

Welcome, Welcome! To the arena!

Hello everyone, almost a month ago I began the second tournament through the object testing arena, it was an awesome success. You may find the link to it right here here. Well, I hope we are going to have an even greater tournament this time! Here is all the rule thingies!

Again, congratulations to Princess Klackon-Ktsss-Ktss and her manager Tesseract for their excellent performance in the first arena.

An Introduction

What is this?

A Fight to the death! Dwarf, Human, Elf, and countless other creatures locked in Mortal Kombat!
Arrows Flying! Swords Slashing! Blood and Guts Spread Across the Arena Floor!

To what end?

Countless Riches? No
Honor? Glory? Fame? Perhaps
To be recognized as the strongest, fastest, or cleverest? Most Assuredly
But most importantly, to earn the title:

CHAMPION OF THE ARENA

You'll be the best! Songs will be song about your skills in the ring! Your name will never be forgotten!

At least until the next tournament, of course.

Who came up with this?

It wasn't me, I assure you! In fact, it was our lovely friends at the SomethingAwful forums who deserve the credit.   
One Bard, in particular, deserves high praise indeed!
He is the Founder of the Fight, the Mediator of Discord, the Grand Master himself!

Vox Nihili

We are but feint imitators in comparison

What Format Will the Tournaments Take?

There are many possibilities: Single-Elimination, Double Elimination, Round Robin, etc. It could be Team based, or a Free For All!. The format for any particular tournament will be decided by the Arena Master beforehand.     

How many people can join a tournament?

It Depends on the format and how much interest there is! However, typical sizes are 16, 32, or 64.

How do I join?

It's easy! Usually you'll just have to post a message declaring your interest, and include your Gladiator's name and race!

I don't know much about Dwarf Fortress. What race is best? What Weapons and Armor should I use?

Only the base essentials are provided in the thread. Since this is competitive, its up to you to figure out whats best. Feel free to ask any questions in the thread or on the forums. A good source of information is the Dwarf fortress wiki found at http://dwarffortresswiki.org/.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overview and Rules
These Rules( including the point system ) were originally developed by the esteemed Vox Nihili at the SomethingAwful forums, and were changed throughout the incarnations.

The Arena Master

The Arena Master runs the tournament. His or Her duties are extensive. They include, but are not limited to, the following: Maintaining and updating these rules, recruitment, running the battles and writing commentary, and settling all disputes that may arise in a just and timely manner. It is essential that the Arena Master remain fair and unbiased. I, Unraveller, shall humbly serve in as the Arena Master for this tournament, and pray that I didn't miss some post that banned these kind of games.

Joining as a Gladiator

Before the start of a tournament the Arena Master will decide on the tournament format, including whether or not a gladiator's skills and equipment will be known to all or kept secret. The first is called a Open Tournament and the latter is called a Blind tournament. The tournament format will also dictate the number of gladiators who may join, or at least a series of upper limits. For example, in a single elimination tournament typical sizes are 16, 32, 64, etc. In order to join, all you must do is announce your intention to join in this thread, along with your Gladiator's name and race. If its an open tournament, you will need to post your skills and equipment purchases in the thread before the start of the first match, while in a blind tournament you must send them directly to the Arena Master.

In the event that too many Gladiators wish to spill their blood, the Arena Master may, at his or her discretion: extend the joining period, deny entry outright to the extra combatants, or call for a battle royal to decide who gets the final spot in the tournament. It's first come first serve*, so sign up as early as possible.

*In future tournaments, gladiators who fought in the preceding tournament will have the right-of-way, and a non-random seeding system may be implemented.

About the Tournament

The subsequent post will lay out the details of the current tournament, including whether or not it will be an open or blind tournament, what system it will follow(Single-Elimination, Round Robin, etc.), whether or not its a team game, etc. If there is something that is not clear, please ask.

The Arena

The fighting will take place in a variety of different stages as seen below. The two contestants will agree on a stage to be selected. If they cannot come to a mutual agreement one will be randomly selected.

Spoiler: Klassic (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Heat Stroke (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Castletop (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Peaceful Meadows (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Water Hazard (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Vertigo (click to show/hide)

The Version

The newest version of DF will be used assuming combat and other relevant game mechanics weren't broken. The same version will be used throughout the tournament. The version being used for the current tournament will be listed in the Tournament overview in the next post.

The Races

The most important decision you'll have to make before the start of the tournament is what race your gladiator will be. Which race you chose will determine what equipment you can use, how much damage you can inflict, grant you special abilities, or even extra limbs.

Your race will also determine how many points you get to spend on equipment and skills before each round.  This is mainly for balance reasons, but also to represent smaller creatures cleverness.

The most important distinction between the races, besides the points they receive, is their size. Size effects the amount of damage they will inflict*, and their ability to knock their opponent over. Gladiators that have been knocked over have a nasty tendency to get pulverized(unless they are wearing some nice armor), and is thus a position you'll wish to avoid.

*smaller creatures can generally match their larger counterparts in slashing and stabbing attacks, but bigger opponents are much better at bashing and punching

Some of the more fanciful races have different or extra appendages compared to your average humanoid. This may allow them to wield extra weaponry or armor, but it also may mean they can't use certain items. These differences are listed under the special abilities category.

Races may also have special abilities. For instance, many of the animal-like races can bite in unarmed combat.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Points are the life blood any worthy gladiator. The way you spend them will determine your success in the ring.

As stated in the previous section, the amount of points you get to spend before the tournament depends on your gladiator's race. If you manage to win a match, you will earn the same amount of points to spend on the next round. You do not have to spend any points to heal yourself.

You may spend points on Equipment and Skills, which are summarized below.

Any points left unspent at the end of a round are doubled, for example. Wundle the Crundle has 34 points remaining from the first round. If he reaches the second he would have 68 points in addition to the points he gains from being a Crundle.

Skills

Your gladiator can purchase skills before the start of each round. Skills can be upgraded as many  as 14 times, the first level being Novice and the last being Grand Master.

The first level of each skill is assigned a base price, and the price of each subsequent level is equal to the base price of the skill multiplied by the level of the skill you are purchasing. For example, if your gladiator was a Level 2("Adequate") fighter and wished to purchase the 4th level, it would cost 3 * 3 + 3 * 4 f=  9 points. 3 is the base cost and does not change, multiplied by the levels to be purchased. Note that the cost is cumulative: you must buy all the preceding levels!

What each skill does is fairly self explanatory. Please go to the Dwarf Fortress wiki or ask on the forums if you are unfamiliar with any particular skill.

Equipment

As you've probably surmised, your gladiator will be able to purchase an assortment of equipment, made out of various materials, to wield  in the arena. Equipment can be divided up into two categories: Weapons and Armor.

Note that you cannot make weapons, shields or bucklers, out of leather.

You may sell back equipment before each round for half its original value. You may NOT sell skills back.

A longsword has a base price of 24; if its made of of steel, which has a "cost multiplier" of 4, the total value will be 96 points.

Materials

Materials have gotten complicated in Dwarf Fortress of late. In terms of combat, though, materials have 3 primary properties: Weight, Edge, and Stopping Power. [I take no credit for this chart, its taken directly from the SA thread]

Weapons

Weapons and Shields(including bucklers), are held in your gladiator's hands. Depending on the race, it may take one-hand or 2-hands to wield any particular object, or they may not be able to wield it at all. Please look at the Race table for a summary. Unless you are fighting unarmed, you should try to use all your hands in combat. Once again, if you have any questions about the abilities a weapon or piece of armor, please feel free to ask, but check the wiki first.

Bows come with 35 free arrows and Crossbows with 35 free bolts and are the same material as the ranged weapon.

Armour

Generally, you can only wear one of any type of armour. Think in terms of body parts, and test your combination out in dwarf fortress to see if it works. If you (or I) notice a problem after the current round is underway, it can't be fixed until the current round is over. For example, you can't wear both leggings and greaves or low boots and high boots at the same time. There are two exceptions though: you may wear a leather cap under a helm, and you may wear a (non-leather) mail shirt under a breast plate. Gloves, Gauntlets and boots come in sets of two. Also note that shields take up a hand-slot, and aren't worn as such. Shields may also be used as weapons and are dependent on the Misc. object skill.

Rule Changes

From Bay12 2st edition
- In an effort to balance the disparity from tiny creatures and huge creatures their points have been adjusted.
- The dodging skills have been combined into one skill making the size classifications irrelevant.
- The lashing skill has been increased in price, while swords, hammers, and maces have been decreased. Hopefully this will promote more variety in weaponry.

You may also wish to know that times between 12:00 P.M. to 5 P.M. EST are when I stream on twitch, it will be impossible for me to post during those times, streaming has become a big part of my life but it also takes a lot out of me, forgive me if I am slow to post.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 10:50:25 pm by Unraveller »
I've lost control of my life.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 DF Gladiator Challenge Tournament - Reborn! III
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 05:38:36 pm »

Settings
Format: Classic single elimination tournament, bracket style.
Open Play: Post the fact that you wish to enter as a mighty gladiator and add your skills and equipment when you get the chance.
Number of Participants: (20/32)
Version:  0.40.24
Initial Seeding: Randomly generated numbers by myself, to simulate each gladiator pulling 'em from a box.

Spoiler: Gladiators (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tourney Bracket (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Elimination I (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Elimination II (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Quarter-Finals (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Semi-Finals (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Finals (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Fan Art (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: HALL OF CHAMPIONS (click to show/hide)

Well then, I hope I'm not missing anything. And I sure hope that this will actually garner some attention. And I REALLY hope that you will all enjoy this. I am as dedicated as I could be to see this through to the end, I hope that you will join me. GOOD LUCK!

NOW PLEASE JOIN ME FOR MONTH NUMBER 3!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 03:11:37 pm by Unraveller »

Arkansan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 06:54:55 pm »

Alright looks like I'll go first

Bronan the Unbreakable
Minoatur

Striking - Proficient 60pts
Wrestler - Competent 24pts
Dodging - Proficient 75pts

PresidentFord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 07:34:03 pm »

How many points for a brown recluse spider man?

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 07:58:34 pm »

I believe 260 will be the right cost there.

Bronan the Unbreakable
Minoatur

Good to see ya again Arkansan, avenging Thud this time around?

Dancing Anatolia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 08:17:28 pm »

How many points would it be for a Tick Man?

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 08:20:20 pm »

Rama the Under-Bane
Amphibian man (280 points)
Lore
 "When Rama had just barely outgrown tadpole-dom, her tribe was massacred by a rouge dwarven adventurer. Afterwards all she could find to remember her tribes killer by was a discarded war hammer, it was then that she knew she had to bring justice to the cave world, so that it could become united under one banner, and truly rise to power. She would find the Reborn Arena, and fight here to bring word to her cause."

Items -
silver war hammer
oak mailshirt
oak leggings
oak cap
oak lowboots
oak gauntlets

Stats -
skilled hammerer
skilled dodger
skilled amour user
competent wrestler
adequate fighter

1 point spare
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 08:28:41 pm by The Lupanian »
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 08:36:48 pm »

How many points would it be for a Tick Man?

A tick man would have 260 points, their size is 35,000.5.

Rama the Under-Bane
Amphibian man (280 points)
Lore
 "When Rama had just barely outgrown tadpole-dom, her tribe was massacred by a rouge dwarven adventurer. Afterwards all she could find to remember her tribes killer by was a discarded war hammer, it was then that she knew she had to bring justice to the cave world, so that it could become united under one banner, and truly rise to power. She would find the Reborn Arena, and fight here to bring word to her cause."

Items -
silver war hammer
oak mailshirt
oak leggings
oak cap
oak lowboots
oak gauntlets

Stats -
skilled hammerer
skilled dodger
skilled amour user
competent wrestler
adequate fighter

1 point spare

Nice, good that you know what should be what in terms of points / size. Adter all amphibian men are the same size as kobolds.

Dancing Anatolia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 08:50:31 pm »

Sorry, one last thing. I was going to go with a tick, but then I found out they can't suck blood. A rodent man would be like, 250-260, right?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 09:31:32 pm by Dancing Anatolia »

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 09:29:52 pm »

Yaaah new tourney!

Leg'olam The Delicious
Elf Blade Dancer

Long Sword, Steel- 96
Helm, Oak- 9
Breast Plate, Oak- 15
Greaves, Oak- 13.5

Sword, Competent- 30
Dodging, Competent- 30
Armor, Competent- 12

205.5/220 points used

Arkansan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 09:35:03 pm »

I believe 260 will be the right cost there.

Bronan the Unbreakable
Minoatur

Good to see ya again Arkansan, avenging Thud this time around?

Thanks, good to be back. I'm hoping Bronan tramples all comers under his hooves!

MrLupenTails

• Bay Watcher
  • MrLupenTails admires Gnolls for their bloodlust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 09:37:56 pm »

PTW.

PresidentFord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 10:04:43 pm »

"Young" Pelkior of the Freeclimbers
Brown Recluse Spider Man - 260 pts.

After hearing of his grizzly death in a foreign land, Pelkior gave up his life of underweb wrestling to avenge his fallen uncle. Bidding farewell to the forest of giant apple trees he has called home, he remembers his uncle's word's... "Aim for the head."

-Skills-
Talented Wrestling - 84 pts.
Talented Biting - 84 pts.
Talented Dodging - 84 pts.

Sub-total: 252 pts.

Equipment
None - 0 pts.

Total: 252/260 pts.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2015, 10:06:13 pm »

Sorry, one last thing. I was going to go with a tick, but then I found out they can't suck blood. A rodent man would be like, 250-260, right?

Yep, no problem 255 sounds right for it.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 10:10:24 pm by Unraveller »

Swords-Otter

• Bay Watcher
  • "there is always hope"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2015, 10:17:11 pm »

How many points would a boar person get
There are two types of great forts. Theres "hey guys look at my awesome fort were we kill all the invaders and have steel everything". Then there's
 "Holy **** every thing is all ****ed up What the **** have we done ?"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14