Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Game crashes with windows 10?  (Read 12801 times)

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
Re: Game crashes with windows 10?
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2017, 03:03:19 pm »

All of these problems could be alleviated by installing a gnu/linux distro ;)
'ere the Chias get hungry...

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2017, 03:51:30 pm »

While that'd work, additional hassle to dual-boot or to run virtual machine can drain enjoyment.
No, the default game doesn't work either, it crashes on start. ("Dwarf Fortress.exe does not respond")
Well, not the starter pack at fault then if default game has problem.

Just checking that you're not trying to use 64-bit game on 32-bit system?

Maybe DL the vanilla version of the game you used before in 2016 and see if that works?

Jairl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2017, 05:51:59 pm »

All of these problems could be alleviated by installing a gnu/linux distro ;)

That only creates more problems if you don't know what you're doing. Especially with how many distros insist on installing their own boot manager... and more shame on the extra nasty ones that screw with anything that is already on the EFI partition.

Windows 10 has fairly strong VM capabilities, just VM the *nix distro.

Just saying, *Nix isn't always the solution. The real solution is to VM Windows 7 in a *nix system that is being VM'd by windows 10. That will fix EVERYTHING!

Saavedroo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2017, 04:58:03 am »

The legacy 32bits version works, but in full screen my game is in 4:3 and I don't know how to put it in 16:9. This is the only way I have to make DF work.

In the legacy 64bits version I miss fmod64.dll though. I don't know what it is (I know a very little about coding, and I don't know what a .dll does at all)

EDIT : I found how to put it in 1920x1080, so I can play now.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 10:36:36 am by Saavedroo »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2017, 12:46:39 pm »

Sounds like you're running a 32-bit system and/or windows. (Since 32-bit windows was cheaper for some time, there's bunch of them running on 64 bit computers.)

In that case, my recommendation would be, if you want to use LNP, to use 43.03 LNP. Notable vanilla features you'd miss over the latest version would be armour wear in combat (and related crashes with non-armour wear, such as with weapon traps and ballista) and force transfer (weakens armour and generally buffs all attacks).

Saavedroo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2017, 04:46:59 am »

Ok, thanks for the tip. I didn't go far enough in the game to take in consideration Force Tranfer and all, so I won't miss that part I think.

EDIT : So, the DwarfFortress.exe works, I can play with the mods, but the LNP launcher still says "Cannot create temporary directory".
When i launch DF.exe I get a DFHack error message :
"Lua failed to initialize
DFHack will not deactivate.
Checkfile stderr.log for details"

Here is what I have at the end of stderr.log :

Failed to list directory: dfhack-configCould not load dfhack-config/script-paths.txt
module 'dfhack' not found:
   no field package.preload['dfhack']
   no file 'C:\Users\Leo\Downloads\PeridexisErrant's Starter Pack 0.43.03-r09\Dwarf Fortress 0.43.03\hack\lua\dfhack.lua'
   no file 'C:\Users\Leo\Downloads\PeridexisErrant's Starter Pack 0.43.03-r09\Dwarf Fortress 0.43.03\hack\lua\dfhack\init.lua'
   no file '.\dfhack.lua'
   no file 'C:\Users\Leo\Downloads\PeridexisErrant's Starter Pack 0.43.03-r09\Dwarf Fortress 0.43.03\dfhack.dll'
   no file '.\dfhack.dll'
stack traceback:
   [C]: in ?
Could not load dfhack.lua
Lua failed to initialize
DFHack will now deactivate.
Lua failed to initialize
DFHack will now deactivate.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 08:58:10 am by Saavedroo »
Pages: 1 [2]