Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: NEED HELP, FLOODING  (Read 1332 times)

KillerHP

• Bay Watcher
  • im french :D
    • View Profile
NEED HELP, FLOODING
« on: September 29, 2015, 11:39:17 am »

Hell , my fortress is currently being flooded.Really , i did not planned that the water would go up the well.And i should really have built that floodgate in the front of the opening..... now i need HELP!
A random person which does stuff and likes roguelikes and SS13...

KillerHP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NEED HELP, FLOODING
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 11:46:03 am »

Phew,built a big wall around what i need.

paperhermit

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 11:58:03 am »

KillerHP, for small updates on what's going on on your fort, consider using http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15096.0 it's a good way to keep this forum organized.

I remember the first time I flooded my fort. I hit the basin of a brook to make an underground farm. That was my first attempt at irrigation. Poor miners.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 01:38:41 pm »

Water will go up as high as the source. Two ways to deal with it: Build your well on the same level as the source, or build a floodgate to block off the flow. I tend to build the top level of my wells on the same level as the river/brook, and then dig a three level reservoir and put the in-flow pipe on the bottom of the well. I use a floodgate in the bottom in order to prevent aquatic enemies from using the well as an access point to the fortress. That's why I have the access pipe on the bottom.

timotheos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 01:53:33 pm »

Water will go up as high as the source. Two ways to deal with it: Build your well on the same level as the source, or build a floodgate to block off the flow. I tend to build the top level of my wells on the same level as the river/brook, and then dig a three level reservoir and put the in-flow pipe on the bottom of the well. I use a floodgate in the bottom in order to prevent aquatic enemies from using the well as an access point to the fortress. That's why I have the access pipe on the bottom.

Or if you want to fill a cistern along way below the water source use a diagonal opening. This removes the pressure and the water will not flow higher unless you pump it back up.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 05:00:25 pm »

This is exactly the same way I killed my first fort.

Nice memories :)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 09:18:41 pm »

Dig down to the magma sea and pump that to the surface to seal up the water source with obsidian then drain the flooded fort off into a cavern layer or to the edge of the map ending in carved fortifications. 

I find it's always safest to have magma on hand when working with water.  Magma starts fires, but is otherwise easier to manage since pseudopressure only seems to happen when a pump is active and only if the plumbing is full to the ceiling.  Any fluid source can be stopped by casting magma into it and then you can drain it off the map. 

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 02:07:53 am »

It's usually easier to haul magma in a magma safe mine cart than to spend years to build a magma pump stack (and when you're done you have already finished screwing up all the water usages, so if you survive to finish your pump stack you managed to deal with it anyway). There is, of course, nothing that says you can't use both mine cart hauling and a pump stack.

KillerHP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 09:20:55 am »

Meh , for now i sealed off the part that being flooded.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 10:32:11 am »

A bit whimpy (but that doesn't mean it isn't the sensible choice for now...)

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 02:32:35 pm »

It's usually easier to haul magma in a magma safe mine cart than to spend years to build a magma pump stack (and when you're done you have already finished screwing up all the water usages, so if you survive to finish your pump stack you managed to deal with it anyway). There is, of course, nothing that says you can't use both mine cart hauling and a pump stack.

Depends on if you are willing to use impulse ramps.  A powered lifter needs a lot of mechanisms while pump stacks transfer power on their own.  I don't think anyone has even published lifter designs that don't use the impulse ramp exploit.  Ideally the magma stack is already there as it's a lot more flexible.  You can at any time shut a pump stack off, open it at any level (with a raising bridge to close the new pipe and a retracting bridge in the intake above to prevent pumping past the pipe) and piping it off to burn out (or if it's under a tower cap seal up) that blasted FB that pathed into an underground lake and sits there in one bloody spot for seasons on end. It's harder to get magma out at an arbitrary point from a cart lifter and the high volume from a pump stack suffers less evaporation when spreading out to go around the trees that plague underground lakes.  High volume magma that you can pipe anywhere is also handy for clearing up liquid forgotten beast ichor or extract when you kill one by more mundane means.  You just have to dig out a pipe, not also carve tracks and build a track stop and engineer a switch into the side of your cart lifter. 

You don't strictly need to do any downward water moving provided you have soil.  You can build a sealed well house on the surface above an aboveground reservoir pump purified from a stagnant source or if you have a pure source you can divert it on its own level and bob's your uncle.  Raising water is fairly safe.  It's in lowering it that pressure builds up and does things you weren't expecting.  Even farming should be a water raising job since if there's no soil you should also have mountains above your water source to farm in do it's still just a raising job with no pressure buildup, and a manually pumped one at that since you only do it once. 

Since the OP walled off his flood before anyone else managed to reply his problem is recovery, which isn't time sensitive.  He'll probably want a pump stack anyways in the long run.  Magma is just such a handy all purpose problem solver. 

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2015, 03:48:02 pm »

Well, I usually just let the dorfs CARRY the mine cart. There is a bug in that which causes mine carts that are dropped due to a tiring hauler to be hauled to a stockpile rather than the destination track stop, though.

I agree it takes some time to build a track, and if you're not using impulse ramps you'd have an interesting task to to power a track (I use a spiral impulse ramp driven track [although I've never used it for magma hauling purposes], and it should be possible to replace the impulse ramps with rollers, but it's a lot of work to power that, and it won't fit in the 3*3 footprint my track does (unless you replace the downward shaft in the middle with a power train and place the downward chute elsewhere). Still, given the dorfpower and production power to build both projects in parallel, I'd say the track would be finished first. If you replace impulse ramps with rollers on a 1:1 basis you'd end up with a gear at every level that automatically would hook up to the roller beside it (in one of the four perpendicular directions). You could even install the gears in parallel once the rollers are built, since they ought to support the gears, whereas a pump stack has to built growing upwards/downwards from the bottom/top, unless you do some messy trick with supporting axles/gears sideways for the pumps (with the attendant leakage).