Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Beyond Sol (IC Thread)  (Read 7648 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Beyond Sol (IC Thread)
« on: October 10, 2015, 06:37:39 pm »

OOC Thread, Top Post
OOC Thread, Character Sheets

The loss of Earth provided a great deal of strain upon its colonies upon the Moon, Mars, and the orbit of Venus.  However, while it was difficult, each of these colonies managed to provide for themselves and eventually grow into three great powers in the Solar System.

Those within the orbit of Venus had a difficult time at first.  They had the lowest amount of population, a measly twelve hundred colonists, the population maintaining the various mining and terraforming vessels that were being utilized upon the planet.  After some measured scavenging and the scuttling of a large portion of one of the smaller, earlier colonies to improve their factory system, they managed to do fairly well for themselves.  After a few generations, the Venutian air had been terraformed to the point where it was rendered safe for humans to live upon the planet, the strain to support the space required for the slowly growing population was lessened by a fair amount.  Lingering chemicals within the atmosphere resulted within the appearance of the colonists shifting to one with a slightly blue tint working its way into the melatonin-rich skin tone of the population.

Those upon the surface of Mars had a moderately less difficult time than Venus, as several of their colonies already had access to all the production facilities that Venus would have a measure of difficulty in gaining, but without the terraforming drones that Venus had been granted by the United Nations upon Earth before the planet had been destroyed and not having a high density atmosphere to work with, the terraforming of Mars was delayed by two further generations.  In the long term, this gap only really meant that the population upon Venus managed to catch up to the same number as the count of the number of humans existing upon Mars.  Over the generations, the population has slowly gained a slight dark orange tint to their skin tone.

The colonists upon the Moon had an inverse to Venus.  As the nearest to Earth, the population there was the greatest of the three areas with a population that could be sustained for several generations.  However, this proved to its detriment, as they had been unable to secure a method to continually expand their living spaces.    The population upon the body turned towards population control and careful genetic engineering to increase the efficiency of resource use within the human body.  The multiple generations of genetic modification led to the appearance held by the populace of the Moon to hold an appearance a fair degree different to those in the rest of the colonies.  The people are covered in a slightly gray exoskeleton, added to counter problems that had developed due to the low gravity, low atmosphere environment.

While in the beginning there was contact between the three installations, over time communications between the three dwindled and slowly died out.  Belief in each of the colonies was that the two others had slowly dwindled and died out, so when a Venutian Ship came by the Moon several generations later after Venus had constructed outposts upon Mercury, the fact that some were still alive upon the moon was surprising, much less the ones upon the Moon having such a strange appearance to the Venutians.  Things became more confusing when a Martian ship came by soon after.  In the ensuing confusion, it is unsure who exactly fired the first shot, just that the Moon Colonists ended both ships through use of their asteroid defense system.

The resulting war undid multiple decades of progress that had been made by the various colonists, on top of the backslide in progress caused as a result of Earth's destruction.  A peace was established between the worlds, but after only two generations it was already beginning to become strained between Venus and Mars.  Both of their planets managed to recover while the Moon was in the process of attempting to utilize the Venutian and Martian terraforming techniques to restore Earth, though failing, and had started to expand outwards once more.  Venus expanded upon its colony above Mercury, and had begun to add more, while Mars was starting to colonize the asteroid belt and look outwards to the Gas Giants.  The great deal of freedom in its colonization prospects caused tension to begin to build between Venus and Mars, which likely would have resulted in the two planets going to blows again, if not for a discovery made by scientists on the Moon.

This discovery was a device which could generate a wormhole to a region they had termed 'subspace' in order to allow for faster than light travel.  Initial testing resulted in a successful jump to the rings of Neptune, to the elation of the scientists.  Sadly, this proved to be a lucky fluke, as most later jumps proved to have a maximum range equal to around a single astronomical unit before things became too dangerous and the ship would need to return to normal space.  Despite this, the technology began to be frequently utilized for fast travel around the Solar System.  With the rapid transport provided by this technology allowing easier access to the outer planets, tensions between Venus and Mars began to wane.

Within a few years, a scientist by the name of Dr. Edward Forge came up with a idea.  It was a speculation that, if the Wormhole drive was utilized at a certain Langrine points within the Solar System, it is possible that the wormhole opened by the drive would be able to remain stable for a period of time to permit travel on an intergalactic scale.  As evidence, the Doctor claimed that the reason behind the initial launch from the Moon to Pluto, which for a yet to be determined reason had used the exact amount of energy as the common 1 AU jump, was due to the drive having interacted with a miniature Langrine point created between the Earth and Moon.  Very few decided to believe this theory, but rather than going onward in trying to convince people through additional papers, Dr. Forge, with a few followers, took a recently finished prototype ship that was in the process of being constructed as a joint project between the Moon, Venus, and Mars, went to the nearest Langrine, and made a wormhole jump at the Langrine point.  Detection satellites that monitored Wormhole travel did not detect an exit signature from the vessel, despite last transmissions indicating the subspace destabilization protocols as still being online.

Keeping the situation quiet, the three governments determined that a joint mission should be attempted to recapture the prototype and test whether the theory of Dr. Forge was true, as well as bringing the doctor to justice.  They took an aging Lunar vessel, the LSS Judgement, and equipped it with the latest technologies of all three interplanetary powers.  A crew was selected from the military ranks of all three powers, with the Captain being determined to be from the Moon.  This is where you come in.  As a member of the crew of the retrofitted cruiser, your mission is to capture the prototype and Dr. Forge, determine if intergalactic travel is possible, and, if possible, find further planets for colonization and determine if we are alone in the universe.

While the resulting crew of the Judgement was a mite understaffed, but it was not to such a degree that it would prove to be a major problem to the operation of the vessel.  The nineteen members were brought aboard the ship quite rapidly, but speed was not required all too much.  The ship was not scheduled to leave the shipyard for a fair amount of time, as a measure for the crew to enable the crew to have a period of time to adjust to the ship before they headed out upon their mission.  Currently, all members were within the boarding area between the two hanger bays that contained the Amazon Transports that had brought them aboard.  None had yet moved onto the rest of the ship, having either just arrived or having decided to see all of those that had been assigned to the vessel.

What do you do?

Spoiler: Ship Specifications (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
Re: Beyond Sol (IC Thread)
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 06:48:45 pm »

Looking around at all those who had accompanied him, Lionel tips his hat.
"Hello, everyone. I'm Lionel, one of the assigned transport pilots. I'll be looking forward to flying with you in the future."
After the conversation ends, he heads aboard one of the transport ships - the first - to familiarize himself with its insides.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 07:55:19 pm by Sentient Bowtie »
Black lives matter.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 07:48:06 pm »

Stavus fingers the black armband as he walks off the ship.  Smooth and impossible to get off from the outside.  They really didn't need to do that, I would have come along anyway.

He looks up as Lionel speaks, a frustrated look quickly dissolving into a friendly smile.

Ah, good to meet you.  I am the resident expert on the subspace systems, so I suppose I will be working with you a lot.

He starts to take a step forward and reach out a hand when he glances over at the captain and steps back.

Well I guess I will see you around the mess anyway.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 07:56:14 pm »

Lionel takes his hand anyway.
"I guess so."
Black lives matter.

Fr0stByt3

• Bay Watcher
  • Co-Creator of Woven Worlds Productions!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 08:07:42 pm »

Ilse shakes her head slightly, chuckling softly to herself. "Oh, come on! Do y'all really feel the need to act all stiff and stuffy? I'm Ilse, By the way. I'll be trying to keep this hunka junk an intact hunk of junk. Nice ta meetcha!"
Funding rebels because seriously, fuck those guys.
((They're basically the new Mongols.  I gotta say, I have a newfound respect for the Jamaican police force after playing this game.))

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 08:19:20 pm »

Ground supply loading crew wear bright orange full body suits, safety, visibility, access confirmation, uniformity. One carried 3 crates to the crew quarters, lower deck. Door locked and closed, the orange unexpectedly came off, revealing light combat armor. Visa claimed the top bunk and inside storage area, unpacking his personal effects and casually equipping his knives to his boot, concealed forearm, and thigh, along with his sword to his integrated back armor. The shared quarters would not have been Jacob's first choice, but he certainly wasn't going to check in, submit to security scans, or bother with discussing who got what in the room. He folded the and stored the orange bodysuit for later. Having already seen the full ship while calmly helping to load its supplies, Visa simply meditated for a small period of time, did some light exercises and stretching, and napped.

Calm and focus, pressure and time make everything. Geology, psychology, doesn't matter, all of it is pressure and time. Slow and steady wins that race, and Visa didn't run the race, he strolled it. The ship itself may have been fast, but there was little room to run on it anyhow. Small, sleek, simplified, Jacob could respect all of that. Took 2 minutes to memorize the exact dimensions of the room and all its lovely compartments, then roughly searching for any loose panels that things could be hidden in... none, air tight. Better that way.

Visa, everywhere you wanna be. Does he wants to be there though?

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 08:20:35 pm »

"I like to have fun as much as anyone else, but it can hold its horses until after we've gotten settled on the ship."
Black lives matter.

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
  • The damning skull motif
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 09:18:28 pm »

A mildly-conditioned somewhat lanky Venutian man dressed in some sort of variant of standard starship gunner attire had his eyes darting all around the room, looking around the boarding room and at the others. With a somewhat hard face and a swing of his robotic arm upwards, the man began to sepak

"Well ye' basterds, guess weer gonna ave' to find something to do. Less' ya' wanna clean couple uns' or argue wit med-staff. Or you gut' sumthin' bettah tu do."
All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well

DontBanTheMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 09:30:52 pm »

Terrance listened to the conversation with a bemused expression on his face, but instead of chipping took a walk around the ship. In his experience, it was always best to know one's surroundings. Most of that experience was thanks to the military drilling it into his head. Should probably inspect where he'll be living, first; he walked into the crew quarters and, seeing Visa, nodded politely. "Morning, sir."
Life isn't fair, and neither am I.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2015, 09:36:41 pm »

"I'll be looking at the transport ships soon, unless anyone objects."
Black lives matter.

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
  • The damning skull motif
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2015, 10:11:18 pm »

With an acknowledging nod, and a quick few seconds of what seems to be an amused smile, Will proceeds to speak,

"Well, if I'm nut andlin' the bridge, I'm the bastird tu be gunnin' em', least' the best at it ere' on the ship. I'll check ut' crew quarter's and mayhaps te' rec oom'."

With a strong stride, Will speed-walks towards the crew quarters, muttering something about what adjustments engineers and such would do to affect his duties
All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well

Zormod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2015, 11:41:22 pm »

Brian steps toward the LSS Jugdement, and looks at the people around him. "Hello. My name is Brian."With that said, he heads to the crew's quarters, and chooses a bed. Preferably one near a corner.

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2015, 03:26:18 am »

Gary waves to everyone. "Hey. I'm Gary." He walks to the crew quarters and claims a bed, then goes over to check out the engine room.
I'm with stupid |
                      v

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2015, 05:42:18 am »

"Klaas Busch, pleased to meet you all. I'll be helping Ilse make sure we get where we want to go and that, indeed, we get there in one piece."
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

armach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2015, 06:25:38 am »

As Rico stepped off the transport he looked around to observe the people nearby. He wanted to converse with some of them, but the nagging of the extremely heavy and large duffel bag over his shoulder convinced him to head to the crew quarters first. While he was looking through the quarters, he found some of the members of his ground force unit occupying one of the rooms. He walked in and gave the bald martian man a quick salute.

"Commander."

He then set his duffel bag carefully on the ground near one of the unclaimed bunks and started to unload it.           
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5