Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Warhammer: End Times, Vermintide. Now with II!  (Read 22297 times)

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Warhammer: End Times, Vermintide. Now with II!
« on: October 19, 2015, 02:40:37 pm »

Vermintide is on pre-order now and you get instant access to the beta. I was wondering if anyone had any first impressions? It looks like it could be a very fun L4D-like co-op game.

Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv9EiBnB0d0

And here's some info from the steam page:

Core Features:
Cooperative Survival For up to 4 Players - Band together with your friends or die alone. Vermintide will continuously test the teamwork and skill of you and your friends. Drop-in, drop-out Multiplayer and the addition of A.I. bots ensures a full team at any time, regardless of available players.

Play as Five Unique Heroes - Five distinct characters to choose from, each with their own personality, agenda and story to tell. Learning what it means to work together is key to the group's survival.

Huge Hero Arsenal - Each hero has its own unique weapons arsenal to draw from, allowing players to adjust their combat style to fit their gameplay preference. There are hundreds of different weapons, includíng swords, daggers, axes, hammers, bows, guns, magical staves & more

Embark on an Epic Quest - Boasting 13 diverse levels - on the ground, in buildings, on walls and underground - ranging from the immense Magnus Tower to the treacherous Under Empire, Vermintide will take you on a journey you’ll never forget.

Experience the Skaven Like Never Before - A rising tide of malicious and cunning rat-men await you, hacking, clawing and eviscerating all that stand in their way. Face vicious packs of clan-rats and deadly specialized elites.

Gather Mountains of Shiny Loot - Rewarding teamwork above all else, players are given loot dice at the end of a mission that will reward them with a weapon, a hat or a trinket. Completing side objectives means that better loot dice can be added to the roll.

Battle Unpredictable Enemies - Vermintide features a dynamic spawn system providing a constant set of new challenges lurking behind every corner.
Experience an Immersive Story - Games Workshop veterans have banded together to write a fantastic new addition to the Warhammer lore, offering a new perspective on the cataclysmic events of The End Times.

Find a Path to Safety - The Skaven boast incredible mobility, able to climb and leap fantastic distances to make life a living hell for the Heroes. No matter where you go, they will be there, ready to pounce.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 07:53:07 am by Wiles »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer: End Times, Vermintide
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 02:53:27 pm »

PTW. I've been keeping an eye on this game but I haven't yet purchased. Mostly I'd like to hear some folks' thoughts.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 04:08:57 pm »

Steeljo is a let's player who has a few videos of gameplay up. From what I have seen of it, it seems fun.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 04:21:05 pm »

I will say that this game feels VERY much like Left 4 dead...

In fact, it feels more like a Fantasy Warhammer version of L4D

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 04:32:16 pm »

I will say that this game feels VERY much like Left 4 dead...

In fact, it feels more like a Fantasy Warhammer version of L4D

Good. What more do you want, dammit?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 04:36:04 pm »

Been watching it. Have been waiting for some reviews. I like how messily the Skaven die, some of those kill animations look great. But I'm waiting to hear where the holes in the game are.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 04:38:11 pm »

Good. What more do you want, dammit?

The ability to make my own character >_> to admit.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 05:14:50 pm »

I got the game. My only complaint is that when you start out, it's very hard to distinguish your teammates from skaven in dark areas... and the game is mostly dark areas. It gets a tad better with experience, but it can still be hard to spot your allies sometimes. In addition to everything being intentionally dark, both enemies and allies use dark colours on their models.

The only serious bug I've ran into so far (and I'm guessing it will be fixed by release) is that I ran into a spot that infinitely spawned skaven. You'd kill one, another popped up on the same spot. Fortunately, it didn't seem to be any trouble once we ran past it.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 05:47:32 pm »

I got the game. My only complaint is that when you start out, it's very hard to distinguish your teammates from skaven in dark areas... and the game is mostly dark areas. It gets a tad better with experience, but it can still be hard to spot your allies sometimes. In addition to everything being intentionally dark, both enemies and allies use dark colours on their models.

The only serious bug I've ran into so far (and I'm guessing it will be fixed by release) is that I ran into a spot that infinitely spawned skaven. You'd kill one, another popped up on the same spot. Fortunately, it didn't seem to be any trouble once we ran past it.

So is it pretty much L4D2 with a meta upgrade system?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2015, 03:40:11 am »

It takes A LOT from Left 4 Dead. If you die, your character is held hostage somewhere along the level, and you can be freed again to rejoin the party. Specials also act in similiar fashion to the way Special Zombies did. Poison Globardiers are spitters, Packmasters are Smokers, Rat Ogres are tanks and Gutter Runners are the pouncy-guys which names I forgot. I think the only specials that cant be linked directly to a L4D Zombie is the Ratling Gunner and Stormvermin.

Now, that doesnt mean it's a straight up Rip-Off. The game is much more melee-oriented. Each class has up to 3 different Weapon Choices for either Melee or Ranged. Some are armor Piercing, some hit multiple Enemies in front of you, some are faster others are slower. To get trough difficulties past normal, you need a decent setup. Without a good counter for armored targets, Stormvermins will tear you apart. Without a guy or two focused on taking down Hordes, Slaves will overrun you. There's a randomized Loot system, paired with a Forge to salvage gear and upgrade uncommon, rare or epic items.

Basically, green items have one trait, blues have two and purples will probably have 3 (I didnt get a purple equipment yet). These traits are locked off until you upgrade the gear at the forge, which costs materials you get by salvaging other gear. The traits arent anything massive. Usually you have a % chance to get attack speed after pushing, more Stamina while Blocking or something along those lines. The real motivation to get rarer gear is that they usually do more damage. And the difference between killing common Enmies with two or three hits can be massive.

Looting is based on dice. Basically, you roll your dice Pool, while on the right there's a line of stuff you can get. On the bottom there's grey standard items, followed by greens, followed by blue or purple equipment. For each success, the bar goes up one level to the next item. You usually need 3-4 successful roles to get a green item. 6-7 for rare stuff. You can increase your dice pool in three ways. The first is picking up Loot Dice, dropped by Pack Rats or found in Chests. The second is to carry Tomes to the end of the Level. Tomes take up your Healing-Slot, denying you the ability to carry around Medpacks and Healing Draughts. The third is Grimoires. They are pretty well hidden in each level. If you pick one up, it takes up your potion slot, and each Grimoire carried by your Party also decreases the Max Health of each character by 25%. Carrying two will make you fall in only a couple hits. The tradeoff however, dice gained by Grimoires are a guaranteed success when looting.

Missions are also your standard L4D stuff, only in a Warhammer Setting. Sometimes you have to open Doors (Which triggers Hordes, and they open slowly, of course). Sometimes you have to gather items, other times defend a position for a couple minutes. After your objective's done you have to bolt to the Cartdriver to make a swift exit.

That's the basic gist of it. Just so it was said, the Beta only includes 3 Maps, while the Full game will appearantly have 13.

Now my personal opinion on the deal:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

All in all, the game is rough, but fun nonetheless.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2015, 03:45:05 am »

The game is much more melee-oriented.

I kind of find it funny that you put it in that way as if to say that left 4 dead a game with guns was also melee-oriented.

But having played Left 4 Dead... I actually think Vermintide is actually MORE ranged-oriented AND Melee-oriented at the same time. If I am making any sense.

Mostly because while you do have guns in Left 4 dead, you will pretty much be using them at very close ranges. While Vermintide actually makes use of wide and close spaces.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2015, 04:08:21 am »

I think my question is, why is this better than L4D2? Like why should I play this with friends rather than firing up ye olde z-killer? (Other than for the change in the fluff)

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2015, 04:41:01 am »

Wasn't there some other AAA Warhammer game being developed that was supposed to be amazing? I swear this was a thing but I can't remember much about it for the life of me. There was a trailer I think and a fair amount of hype, but it vanished off my radar.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2015, 04:49:23 am »

Wasn't there some other AAA Warhammer game being developed that was supposed to be amazing? I swear this was a thing but I can't remember much about it for the life of me. There was a trailer I think and a fair amount of hype, but it vanished off my radar.

Warhammer Total War?

It was exciting but I think the TONS upon TONS of Total War Failures... has sort of made people very hesitant.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2015, 04:52:56 am »

Warhammer: Total War is the other big one for Fantasy that comes to my mind, along with Bloodbowl 2. For 40,000 there's Eternal Crusade, Battlefleet Gothic: Armada, ARPG "Inquisitor" and the various Space Hulk games.

There is a thread for Warhammer: Total War, but aside from a few unit videos and other small tidbits there hasn't been any other really big announcements.

On Vermintide: I liked that they emulated the zombies climbing over fences and down buildings for the Skaven. I've been waiting until it's fully released until actually trying the game however. One article I read likened it to the enemy movement in "Rage" by id Software, an element I rather liked about that game with how the enemies would vault, swing and clamber over objects while moving about.
I watched a video done by "Arch Warhammer" who has mostly been covering the total war game.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13