Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about installing and updating to the latest version...  (Read 909 times)

jpwrunyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question about installing and updating to the latest version...
« on: January 12, 2016, 10:13:24 pm »

I don't know the best place to ask this question, so I'm hoping I'll get a reply here.
I currently have Dwarf Fortress 40.12.
I'd like to switch to the newest version but the thing is I did some work getting custom graphic assets to work and I don't want to have to do it all over again.
Is it possible just to copy over the .exe file and keep playing? I don't care if I have to delete my save games.
Also, if this is possible, what other files would I need to copy over if any? I assume there's probably some creature settings I'd need.
Finally, tell me if trying to do this isn't possible or dangerous. For example, do graphic sets and tile sets get messed up if you try to do what I'm suggesting?

Thanks for any help/answers.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question about installing and updating to the latest version...
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 10:37:40 pm »

I currently have Dwarf Fortress 40.12.
I'd like to switch to the newest version but the thing is I did some work getting custom graphic assets to work and I don't want to have to do it all over again.

Graphics sets have to be redone to match the new raws.  Even from 0.42.03 to 0.42.04 there were changes to the creature raws, which means graphics sets have to be redone.

Is it possible just to copy over the .exe file and keep playing?

Nope, sorry.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

burned

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • burnedFX
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 01:28:24 am »

Creature tilesets will transfer smoothly from 40.12 all the way to 42.04; there will be no issues.
To further the point, a 40d graphic set will work in 42.04 with zero errors.

You would have to update your nameofgraphicsdefinition.txt for the few name changes that greycat mentioned, if you defined them based on previous raws. But, you'd only get a minor fixable issue related to creature tilesets with previously saved games because of those name changes. However transferring a 40.12 save to 42.04 might introduce other problems unrelated to tilesets, so thankfully you don't care about that part.

And, since you don't care about that part . . .
  • Start with a vanilla copy of the latest DF.
  • Use your old inits as a reference to your preferred settings and change them manually; do not overwrite the new files directly.
  • Copy over your raw > graphics > stuffyouwantcopied to 42.whateverversion and then update your nameofgraphicsdefinition.txt if necessary.

Unless you used an unsupported method to change your graphics (e.g. TWBT) you'll probably kick yourself for overthinking it.

I hope that helps.
DFMA Profile | burnedfx Graphic Set

The process of delving into the black abyss is to me the keenest form of fascination. - H. P. Lovecraft
The Delvers
. . .the middle ground between light and shadow . . . - Rod Serling
The Delvers' Podcast

jpwrunyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 01:43:43 am »

Thanks guys. I usually end up doing that song and dance each time there's a new release. But I was hoping to find a short cut this time since it's been a while since I last modified the game.
I'm glad I asked first though, since it would have been an even bigger waste of time had I not.
Appreciate it!