Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Into the Depths of Space - [6/6] - Down the rabbit hole.  (Read 9144 times)

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Into the Depths of Space - [6/6] - Down the rabbit hole.
« on: March 19, 2016, 04:23:43 pm »

***Into the Depths of Space***

Background:
It is 2245 and you are a member of the Special Combat and Reconnaissance Corps of the Terran Alliance. It is a special group of the human military that serves both in general combat missions and in other more secretive ones.  You serve on the Sol, a military frigate designed to move across the galaxy quickly and discreetly, capable of quickly responding to threats to The Alliance.

The Sol has been shadowing a ship wanted of piracy in a rim-sector for several days, it comes upon a highly active moon orbiting a gas giant. The moon holds a large pirate base, and you have all just been tasked with attempting to take control of the base and capturing high value targets and items instead of just nuking the base from orbit.

How do I play?:
This game works like a standard RTD. You post an action in bold that you want your character to do. I roll a die for level of success or failure. For some things there might be more than one roll, or a  positive or negative bonus depending on how I interpret the situation. Impossible actions will have a good chance of hilarious failure.

How Do I join?:
If there is a limit on players, it will be noted either in the thread title, or on the top of this post. Just copy the below form, fill it out, and post it on this thread. I'll look it over and place you in the game if it is good to go.

Fill out this form and post it to join(Starred(*) fields are optional):

Code: [Select]
Name:
*Description/Background: What do you look like, background story, etc.
Skills: Three skills, used to aid in rolls. Try not to be too broad.
Attributes: See directly below... 10 points to distribute.
Luck:
Charisma:
Dexterity:
Strength:
Endurance:
Items: What items would you like to start with? Check out the armory, you start off with 5 points.

Attributes:
You start with 10 points which you can distribute among these attributes. Each attribute by default is set to one and can be no lower. Values at 3 have no effect, they are the baseline. Below three cause negative effects, while above it aid in completing roles.

Luck - Can used to aid in many rolls, simply how lucky or unlucky you are.
Charisma - Used in conversational rolls. Including threats, persuasion, and arguments.
Dexterity - Used in rolls that require physical finesse and speed.
Strength - Used in rolls that require brute force and power.
Endurance - Used in rolls which involve completing actions when injured and when under extreme pain, also in rolls which determine if your character survives large injuries.

Notes:
All armor doubles as a space suit unless otherwise specified
All players start with 5 requisition points, a gauss pistol and light armor.
If you are getting the heavy armor to start you can get it for 4 points instead of 5 by selling back the light armor.
Light armor offers minimal protection, it will almost always protect you from plain steel blades and low velocity shrapnel, it can also hold up fairly well against small gunpowder weaponry, and moderate blunt force impacts.
If you get a horrible roll that could result in your death, you get one extra roll to determine the result.
I have not decided on my dice yet so I will likely be experimenting with them a bit during this.
All gauss weapons have disposable heat sinks built into them which absorb the heat from firing, if you fire for long periods of time without giving pause you may have to dump the sink and put a new one in. Searing hot heat sinks could be useful. Laser rifles have inbuilt cooling elements, and do not generate as much heat as the gauss weapons.

Spoiler: Armory (click to show/hide)

Players:
lawastooshort(reserved).

If I have left anything out or if there are any oddities please let me know.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 08:04:24 pm by HavingPhun »

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
Re: Into the Depths of Space - [0/6] - Looking for players.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 04:26:53 pm »

((Something I would like to point out is that Gauss weapons function by accelerating metal spikes several times the speed of sound. Even a gauss pistol would be capable of scrapping a tank irl. The main limiters being recoil powerful enough to dislocate your arm and the power supply. Unless the armor is made from unobtanium, I can't see light armor having sufficient stopping power.))

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: Into the Depths of Space - [0/6] - Looking for players.
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 04:40:20 pm »

I would like to join but cannot post a sheet until tomorrow; if that is acceptable please reserve me a spot.

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Into the Depths of Space - [1/6] - Looking for players.
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 04:44:47 pm »

((Something I would like to point out is that Gauss weapons function by accelerating metal spikes several times the speed of sound. Even a gauss pistol would be capable of scrapping a tank irl. The main limiters being recoil powerful enough to dislocate your arm and the power supply. Unless the armor is made from unobtanium, I can't see light armor having sufficient stopping power.))
I'll admit, I have an rudimentary understanding of the physics behind the devices. But, just because it is a gauss weapon, would it really have to be going at speeds that immense? Couldn't a smaller version just drive less current into the device and accelerate the rounds at a much lower speed to keep the size down? I will however modify the description of the armor a slight bit, I was thinking more along the lines of slowing the things down so they don't completely swiss cheese whoever is hit by them. Perhaps still causing injury depending on the roll.

I would like to join but cannot post a sheet until tomorrow; if that is acceptable please reserve me a spot.

Yeah that's fine, you have a spot reserved. I'll stick it up in the main post.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 05:26:40 pm »

A Gauss Weapon legitimately would be firing at speeds that immense. The difference between a Gauss and a Rail is purely on if it's a coil or a set of rails.

Basically what a Gauss/Rail does is it uses electromagnets to accelerate a metal spike. This has.. Absolutely no upper limit of velocity whatsoever. The limit is purely what the structure of the gun/gauss stake can take. Too fast and it burns up in a ball of plasma due to air resistance or shatters into the equivalent of a supersonic shotgun. Irl we do have handheld gauss weapons and irl it is powerful enough to swiss cheese a tank or heavily fortified entrenchment. They are considered Anti Material weapons for a reason. The main limiters are that the barrels and firing rods tend to warp with prolonged use and the powersource needs to be huge. Limiting it to vehicles that can mount such a powersource such as large boats (read aircraft carriers) and experimental tanks.

You could theoretically tune it down, but then the question is "Why would you?" The goal of a weapon is to kill the enemy dead before they can kill you dead right? If you have a powersupply sufficient to run a handheld gauss weapon, you'd want to make sure whoever got hit by it got pulped to justify the power expenditure. If you wanted a weaker weapon you'd be better off using a standard ballistic gunpowder weapon or a pneumatic stake thrower. Or an electrolaser if you want to shoot lightning at the target for whatever reason and have the option of tazing them at range.

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 07:39:39 pm »

Considering that the RTD is set in 2245, I would say that potent, miniature power packs would be a common thing. I like your argument, so I am going to strike something in the middle for the gauss pistols. They won't being blowing holes straight through heavy armor with ease, as that is more something for the heavier versions. But, they will be able to pierce light armor with ease, and they are going to gain an ammo increase since the rounds themselves are just small bits of metal.

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 07:45:41 pm »

Added a reflective armor coating to the armory, providing some limited protection against energy weapons.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2016, 07:51:06 pm »

Actually I'd say an ammo increase wouldn't make sense. They don't fire tiny pieces of metal. They fire aerodynamic stakes of metal. Think crossbow bolt sized for snipers/antitank Gauss and .50mm sized stakes for pistols/assault rifles.

Although assuming we're using rapid fire Gauss weaponry and reasonable power supply, the issue is heat dispersal to prevent barrel warping from repeated firing. There are a few ways to go about that actually. One way is preloaded cheap barrels that fire rapidly and then are discarded when ammunition is expended and reloading is simply just slapping another barrel on the weapon. Another way is higher quality barrels intended to last for a couple battles without issue before being discarded and replaced, ammo being loaded via a more standard weapon loading system (Ammo cartage). Generally the rule with Gauss/Rail weaponry is that the barrels will not last very long without needing a replacement. Supersonic bits of metal produce lots of heat.

Theoretically a possible way to nudge gauss rounds out of the way is a negatively charged electromagnet mounted on armor. It wouldn't stop close ranged gauss, but longer ranges traveling slightly slower might nudge it further out of the way.

Also I'll prolly/might join. Theoretical weapons are fun.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 07:52:52 pm by Kevak »

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2016, 08:04:06 pm »

Alright, any suggestions such as Kevak's are welcome, as I am by no means an expert on the physics involved in some of these things. One thought is to do what the weapons in Mass Effect do. They have disposable cartridges which all the heat is vented into that have do be discarded to keep the weapons cooled. I'm thinking some material (perhaps undiscovered) which has an extremely high specific heat.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2016, 08:07:26 pm »

Always possible to do a Handwavium material to simplify the physics. I personally like keeping the physics as realistic as possible in my settings but Handwavium does tend to cut down on the number crunch.

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2016, 08:15:30 pm »

I'm going to go for that, so, another change to gauss weapons, if they are fired continuously without being allowed to cool, you might have to dump their heat sink and put another in before firing.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2016, 08:31:50 pm »

Spoiler: Aleph (click to show/hide)

Also, in response to the gauss argument, you can estimate the (maximum possible) kinetic energy of a coilgun by having the projectile sweep out a magnetic field with a given energy density with a volume equal to that of the barrel.

The formula is: Kinetic Energy = Volume * 400k * B^2, where B is the strength of the magnetic field in teslas.
For a 1 tesla gauss weapon (go too high and you will saturate your magnets) and a 50 caliber barrel (A = pi*.0126^2) with a 20 cm length, you get a kinetic energy of... 40 Joules. That's weaker than a punch. Or a 22 cailber pistol. Definitely not enough to bust a tank.

You can make a higher magnetic field using superconductors. Let's say 25 Teslas. That gives you about 25,000 Joules, which is more than a 50 caliber sniper rifle. But it won't wreck a tank.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 12:39:01 am by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
Re: Into the Depths of Space - [2/6] - Looking for players.
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2016, 09:59:35 pm »

Name:Reid Johnson
Description: A man of average height; Slightly muscular; Curly blonde hair; 35 years old; Has a very minor case of severe amnesia.
Skills:
Swordsmanship: When attacking with a sword or similar weapon, gain +1 chance to hit until the beginning of the next turn.
Buckle down: Lower center of mass, lower hit chance. Enemies gain -1 chance to hit.
PARKOUR!!!!! When doing dexterity rolls involving urban environments and movement (not saving throws) gain +1 to the roll.
Attributes: See directly below... 10 points to distribute.
Luck: 2
Charisma: 2
Dexterity: 5
Strength: 2
Endurance: 4
Items: 1 Power Sword; 1 Pack of Frags; 1 Canteen of Alcohol
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 10:10:53 pm by Sosoku234 »
Monster stowage inventory running low. Starting #2 Monster Pump, filling #4 Monster tank, via #2a Demonizer.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
Re: Into the Depths of Space - [2/6] - Looking for players.
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2016, 10:20:15 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Into the Depths of Space - [4/6] - Looking for players.
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2016, 02:33:36 pm »

All three sheets are good to go. Today I bought a years worth of hosting for a vps for learning purposes and experiments. So, you might see me making a sub-domain on it for all your sheets once this starts, which I will keep up to date.

Also, I feel I didn't do enough explaining about the Special Combat and Reconnaissance Corps(SCRC). Basically, they are a smaller group within the human military which one might consider to be special forces. They generally get greater funding and support than other corps. They are always looking for talented individuals, so they not only recruit people already in the military, but also those that they find living in the civilian population, sometimes criminals. They don't carry as many of the rules and protocol of typical military divisions, so zany and unorthodox people are welcome. Also, you all can decide how long each of your characters have been in the military and in the SCRC, and if they know each other. However, even if they have been in for years it doesn't mean they get any more skills or attributes than other starting players.

I am going to give this another day or two to see if others join. We need one or two or more players, depending on whether or not Kevak is playing since they said they might.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7