Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Giving gifts of money  (Read 2169 times)

bsnott

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_PATIOS]
    • View Profile
Giving gifts of money
« on: April 06, 2016, 08:32:19 pm »

I created an adventurer that would essentially act as a defender of the common people on my newest world. The idea was that I'd complete a quest and use any money/assets gained from completing the quest (taking coins/armor/weapons/items from the slain bandits/criminals/beasts/skulking vermin) and give it back to the lords of small hamlets or to the common people.

However, when I tried to give away money to the lord of a hamlet and some other commoners, they just said, "I'm confused. Did you want something?" and it wouldn't allow me to gift them the money.

Is there any way to gift a person money, and will it have any long term effect?
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"

*gobbles menacingly*

bsnott

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_PATIOS]
    • View Profile
Re: Giving gifts of money
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 08:50:05 pm »

Nevermind, figured out a different way than offering currency. You have to actually select the coins from your inventory, you can't just offer currency.

EDIT: I still have the question though; does this have any effect?
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"

*gobbles menacingly*

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 09:25:31 pm »

Nevermind, figured out a different way than offering currency. You have to actually select the coins from your inventory, you can't just offer currency.

It makes them think you are generous/good for a deal
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Sit_Rom.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 08:39:50 pm »

It makes them think you are generous/good for a deal

I'm also curious about this, as I usually give any currency stacks and other valuables that I stumble upon to the the Lord I work with...

Aside from their impression of the player, does this effect anything...

Does the NPC actually get something tangable from me pouring gold down his gullet (IE. more power/influence due to having enough spare funds to hire more subordinates, and/or afford expansions/improvements to his holdings)?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 08:48:24 pm by Sit_Rom.exe »
"After a while I got fed up and threw my coins at him. The silver coins hit him in the body and shattered his upper spine. I sat there watching him slowly suffocate."

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 05:13:20 am »

I'm also curious about this, as I usually give any currency stacks and other valuables that I stumble upon to the the Lord I work with...

Does the NPC actually get something tangable from me pouring gold down his gullet (IE. more power/influence due to having enough spare funds to hire more subordinates, and/or afford expansions/improvements to his holdings)?

The probable answer is no it probably does not do anything.  There are only very limited uses for money in the present DF Universe and the economy is not yet developed enough for NPCs to automously do anything with their money even within the very limited scope of things you can do with money.  The only thing that you can do with money is buy things from the shops in towns and use it to pay taverns again in said towns, though I am not even sure even that works. 

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 11:08:10 am »

The probable answer is no it probably does not do anything.  There are only very limited uses for money in the present DF Universe and the economy is not yet developed enough for NPCs to automously do anything with their money even within the very limited scope of things you can do with money.  The only thing that you can do with money is buy things from the shops in towns and use it to pay taverns again in said towns, though I am not even sure even that works.

In fact the best thing you should do with money is buy gems because if you go to a different Civ your money has no value  but gems are reliably valuable.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 11:10:18 am by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 07:19:53 am »

In fact the best thing you should do with money is buy gems because if you go to a different Civ your money has no value  but gems are reliably valuable.
I found that two copper coins from another civ is 1 dwarfbuck. So they are not that useless.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository