Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: su - forums # Linux thread!  (Read 800 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: su - forums # Linux thread!
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2017, 10:10:18 pm »

Getting to say you use arch?

It doesn't earn you as much beardcred as gentoo or from-scratch naturally, but you get a bit of beardcred from the fact that you gotta stick it together like a box of mismatched legos, megablocks, a few lincoln logs, uh, I think that's a puzzle piece... is that a kitten? Anybody lose a kitten in my distro? No? I'm keeping it.

Really it's just that it's a rolling release so any time I want I can be on the newest version just by running a pacman -Syu and letting the update roll in.
Engraved here is a rendition of an image of the Dwarf Fortress learning curve. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It depicts an obsidian overhang which menaces with spikes of obsidian and tears. Carved on the overhang is an image of Toady One and the players. The players are curled up in a fetal position. Toady One is laughing. The players are burning.
The VectorCurses+1 tileset strikes the square set and the severed part sails off in an arc!

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • whip cracking mad overseer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2017, 04:30:54 am »

I have never really used an arch based distro before. Always used debian based ones.

What is the major advantage to using arch?

I was going to be cheeky and just reply with the one-worder: 'ArchWiki'. 

But thinking there's a bit more here...

The community rocks. 
If a package exists in the linux world it's almost certainly in the AUR.
Rolling release so always up to date with the latest.
Whatever DE you want, use it.

The downside (if you can call it that) is a degree more self-reliance.  It's your system after all.

So, uh, what MaxTM said.  If ya gotta have a beard, grow your own.  :P

p.s. pacman -Syyu  less !fun!

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2017, 09:44:08 am »

Ok, this may seem like a stupid question, but how can I discover a second device on a public network using mint?

I have a raspberry pi I would like to use for something, but I want to run it headless and control it via SSH from a laptop running linux mint. I can get the pi to connect on startup fine, but how do I find its ip? I would prefer not to do anything that will get a paranoid admin on my ass...

Is there some way to broadcast a "trigger" to all hosts on a network? I can write my own tools if I need to, but I'm not all that knowledgeable about networks aside from the basics.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2017, 11:03:50 am »

There's an option under ping to check for local addresses I think, but make sure you toss in the count cap, first time I fucked with it I had to ctrl+c to make it knock that shit off.
Engraved here is a rendition of an image of the Dwarf Fortress learning curve. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It depicts an obsidian overhang which menaces with spikes of obsidian and tears. Carved on the overhang is an image of Toady One and the players. The players are curled up in a fetal position. Toady One is laughing. The players are burning.
The VectorCurses+1 tileset strikes the square set and the severed part sails off in an arc!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2017, 03:38:44 pm »

Personally, I would use a static assigned IP address if it were in my network.

If you are plugging foreign devices into somebody else's network, (such as at work), then you are already going to get a network admin breathing hot and angry down your collar.

Exactly where to define the IP address on the Pi depends on what distro you have loaded on the SDCard. 

Between you and me though, I would put it at the very bottom of the IP address pool, where it is very unlikely to ever collide with anything that uses dhcp. Say, 192.168.0.254 for a 192.168.0.X based subnet.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2017, 04:28:11 pm »

The situation was described as going onto a public network (give or take registration/authorisation, if not entirely free(as in speech)-to-use).

I'd be tempted to shell-script something to pick up the IP (e.g., though that may suffer from both-ways NAT, when the truely local RFC1918 address would be a better direct link) and POST that info to a web-resource you control.  The device that wishes to discover what to connect to just queries the external site, reads the "last known location" info and then tries a suitble handshake with that to verify it.

I wouldn't rely on hard-coding any RFC1918 address, TBH. Administrators (knowingly, or just by using the given auto-setup script for the hotspot service) might do all kinds of weird things with the network masks and allowable ranges. You might be able to tinker with successive attempts (or a series of attempts to 'register' as one of several preconceptions until it doesn't seem to bug out) to see what works on a given AP that you can get away with.

(Somewhat the reverse, but with some similarities, twenty+ years ago I had my University account run on login (if detected as on a suitably static workstation) a check of what IP I was logging on from, see if it had a location (room, position in room) recorded in a simple text file and prompt me either to confirm (or note as unreliable) or else provide (if not yet listed) the relevant location info.  Then I could use this same personal lookup file to augment a "where my friends1 are" display, plus a "who else (known or otherwise) is logged in in this room" one. A nice little toy that saved time and did my 1337-h4ck3r cred no harm at all...  ;))

1 I had some. I didn't always know their real names, without fingering their accounts, but they either existed or were very good at Turing Tests. ;)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 04:30:10 pm by Starver »
Pages: 1 [2]