Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17

Author Topic: Deathgame - A Very Insignificant Fort - LNP 42.06  (Read 69034 times)

LegendaryTyper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgame - A (hopeful) Succession Fort With a Twist - LNP 42.06
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2016, 10:55:25 am »

Wait a sec am I still in the game?
Urist approved

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2016, 10:59:58 am »

I think you have the ball, go make fun with it.

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
  • WipEout - CONTENDER ELIMINATED
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2016, 01:49:27 pm »

Let 'er rip, Samy.
Do good for Tun Deg, or get hammered if you fail.
The giant louse is on the loose and some loser dwarf has blood to lose.

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2016, 01:52:11 pm »

Oi Frame, I'll gladly sign you up. We could use an experienced overseer.

JumpingJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2016, 06:11:24 pm »

PTW. I've got a good feeling about this.
I'M NOT HERE TO CHAT, I'M HERE TO DANCE OVER YOUR DEFEAT.
Imagine how much more exciting the dinosaur exhibits would be if we had necromancers.
Sigtext

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2016, 08:38:57 pm »

Hello everyone sorry for being late  :o  I'll go grab the save
Do we post the updates here as a reply?
Hopefully - bottom line, we want to know what's going on/you/dwarves do :)

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2016, 01:14:52 am »

The Journal of Udil Silverystopped, retired expedition leader
15 Granite, 500

Dear journal,

This dream I had, the others died from Rithesa. They were trapped in the webs. OH ARMOK THE WEEEEEEEEEBBBBSSS!THEY DIED FROM THE WEBS

It toppled the golden kitchen. It destroyed the trade depot. And all the mayor was worried about was catapult parts exports. Thank goodness the gems were safe, but the corpses piled in the tens. I recognized my 6 compatriots and saw a lot more. A little over 90 I think. By Lim, it spewed a row of webs into them. The marksdwarves shot their wooden bolts into it (after all, it was composed of VOMIT of all things) and it hurt. Its webs pushed me so hard that I collided with a chicken and died from it. I could feel its webs getting into my feet and into my heart. How sharp its edges were, dear journal! Feeling a shortness of breath, the beast hovered over me and kept on buzzing. It was a putrid, horrifying sight.

I have hereby resigned from the position of expedition leader. My Number One, a LegendaryTyper, is as qualified for the job as I was before this. It felt too real to be a dream, though; I could smell the vomit the giant beetle was made of. In fact it was so pungent, that we could smell it coming up the caverns. It then disappeared. The mayor, or commander-in-chief rather (heads of fortresses are de facto commanders-in-chief of their respective sites, aren't they?) ordered the squadron to stand down. And then it hit us like a silver hammer coming down on a goblin's head.

I'm too weak to do anything here. I will write more, though. Just to make sure that a record is left if something ever happens.
Signed,
Udil "HMetal" Silverystopped
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 07:57:38 am by HMetal2001 »

LegendaryTyper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2016, 03:09:54 am »

Apparently I can't run the DF version required  :'( for this save and the version I can run doesn't load it.
Whoevers next can start I retire from the position until I can get the save file running
Urist approved

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2016, 04:21:15 am »

Y u no use Lazy Newb Pack 42.06?

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2016, 09:58:36 am »

Could anyone download the save I uploaded? And test it?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2016, 10:57:05 am »

I can probably check later after work.

Blahsadfeguie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2016, 11:30:26 am »

Weird, I've never heard of anyone simply being unable to run the game. I've never had to do anything special to get it to work. Troubleshooting is beyond my expertise, unfortunately...

Welp, I was kind of hoping not to be first but oh well. I'll grab the save and start playing sometime this afternoon.

EDIT: Does anyone know where I can find a LNP for 42.06? I thought it'd be a quick Google search away, but I'm only able to find the current 43.03 one.

EDIT2: pfft nevermind I'm dumb.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 12:28:52 pm by Blahsadfeguie »

Blahsadfeguie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2016, 04:18:34 pm »

The Journal of Zefon "Blahsadfeguie" Simplepainted, Woodcutter
15th Granite, 500

I'll be frank - when the King decided to send us across the sea to establish a fortress in the middle of nowhere, I was skeptical at first. We'd be cut off completely from everyone, probably never to see our families again. But apparently, the earth would be rich with gold. Upon hearing this, my ears twitched in anticipation. Perhaps too hastily, I accepted, my greed getting the better of me.

However, upon setting foot on the northwestern soil, my venture was immediately validated. Glints of golden ore peeked out from the hills, left and right! Truly this was a land blessed by Datan the Bronze Gem Herself. I could only imagine what lies beyond the surface, waiting to be unearthed and shaped into visages of beauty.

Once we had settled on a final resting spot for our caravan, we spent the rest of the night partying. It was a blur, but I have vague memories of leading an impromptu choir...

Regardless, I woke up this morning with a distinct rasp to my voice and a monster of a headache. This, sadly, was the least of my problems.

The first spot of bad news was the realization that we had feasted perhaps a bit too hard - our food stores were nearly depleted. Just a handful of meat and plants remained. Thankfully, we saved all the seeds.

The worst of it started with a deathly screech. At first I thought we were under attack, so I reached for my copper battle axe... only to find out our expedition leader, Udil Silverystopped, had had some sort of nightmare. All I remember was him raving about a beast covered in vomit, shooting webs and slaughtering dwarves. We tried to calm him down, but this dream was apparently so vivid that it caused him to step down as leader out of sheer fright.

He asked for someone called LegendaryTyper to take his place, but nobody responded. Perhaps they weren't ready to take on the responsibilities of leadership just yet... but by Armok, somebody had to do it. So, I volunteered. Nobody contested; in fact, I'm pretty sure the collective reaction was that of relief.

Their loss. If nothing else, I get first dibs.

I will forge a glorious golden fortress the likes of which the Universe of Dawn has never seen. For Tun Deg! For Datan! For all dwarfkind!

Okay, maybe not ALL dwarfkind. Just us. Those other dwarven kingdoms can find their own gold.

Census: 7 dwarves
(M) Erush Cloisteredtrance, Miner
(M) Fath Filledceilings, Farmer
(F) Morul Flashsilvers, Butcher
(F) Nish Urnequaled, Mason
(F) Rovod Glazecrews, Hunter
(M) Udil "HMetal" Silverystopped, Miner
(M) Zefon "Blahsadfeguie" Simplepainted, Woodcutter

16th Granite, 500

I've immediately ordered Fath to scavenge for edible plants in the area. Rovod didn't say a word; first thing in the morning, she grabbed a crossbow and some bolts and wandered off.

I slung my axe over my shoulder and asked the miners to start digging into the hills, laying out the foundation for our fortress. I then got to work clearing some of these trees. Blasted things... that'll teach you for obstructing my view of the gold!

17th Granite, 500

Rovod has returned, triumphantly toting the body of a bolt-riddled hoary marmot. Good to know she hasn't already gone mad after all.

3rd Slate, 500

The tunnel down is complete. Just as I thought, the walls are lined with gold and glittering gemstones! I'm conflicted; I want to mine out every square inch of it, but I don't know if I want to live in a fortress filled with ugly, misshapen tunnels.

While I'm thinking about it, I'll have all of our supplies brought in at once, starting with the food. We're grateful that we've managed to get by on what nature provides, but my next priority is setting up a farm.

17th Slate, 500

Operation Plant All These Armokdamn Seeds is underway. There isn't a soul in this fortress who isn't putting baby plants in the ground right this instant. Don't ask me how I'm writing this and planting seeds at the same time. I'm a wizard or something.

(or I'm not actually planting seeds, but don't tell them that)

27th Slate, 500

Rovod returned to the fortress today after a long hunting session, looking dejected and sweating all over. I asked her what happened.

She told me that she encountered a giant wolverine. Rovod had chased it through the trees, shooting bolts at every opportunity. She landed a clean hit on the beast's lower body, causing it to erupt into a brutal fit of retching and vomiting. But that didn't seem to slow it down, even when she unloaded a bolt into every limb. Eventually, she ran out of ammo and the wolverine got away.

She looked especially upset, so I told her not to worry about it. The farm was coming along nicely, so we'd have plenty to eat in the coming seasons. I didn't see our talk as any more than that, just simple consolation for a minor setback.

But then, she did something I could not have expected.

She hugged me.

She then proceeded to gush about how she was worried the change in leadership would ruin everything, but when I stepped forward it was "like an angel descending from the heavens". She thanked me at least 20 separate times.

It was at that point I caught a strong whiff of dwarven ale from her breath. She must take her job extremely seriously - enough that missing such a big game target was reason enough to get thoroughly hammered.

We talked by the wagon until the wee hours of the morning. Rovod, I must admit, is actually quite adorable while drunk off her rear end. I'm not sure how much of this she'll remember, but I have certainly found love tonight.

15th Felsite, 500

The past month has been dull, but easygoing. Our first crop of plump helmets is ready for harvest. We've been digging out space for a dining hall and workshops, stockpile space soon to follow.

Naturally, the dining hall is going to be massive and studded with gold and gems right off the bat. I won't settle for anything less.

Oh yeah, and I've been talking to Rovod a lot more lately. Turns out the other night was no fluke - she had been crushing on me ever since we left Tun Deg. Additionally, she worships Zas, the deity of jewels and minerals and Datan's twin sister. An interesting coincidence...

28th Felsite, 500

Spring is coming to a close, and we're only just getting started. The craftsdwarf wing of the factory floor is nearly complete, and in the summer I'll get to work on the metalworking wing so we can start refining all this gold.

My heart is racing just looking at the gold nuggets scattered around the fortress - I've never seen this much gold in all my life! I can barely sleep knowing that soon, we will be drowning in the stuff.

Or maybe that's just from three months of sleeping on hard dirt and stone floors. I tried sleeping on a pile of gold ore once... my back hasn't loosened up since. But it was worth it.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 04:31:00 pm by Blahsadfeguie »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2016, 06:17:10 pm »

I like the idea of leisure/sleeping area being done in engraved ore areas, though I find the location often impractical.

Surprised to learn you have only 7 dwarves. The impression that I got from HMetal was that the next overseer would start with 80+ after 2 years of fort.

Lots of storytelling, there. Will we be seeing kids between Zefon and Rovod? Hunters aren't usually ones to get lovers, spending their time outside and sleeping in the rain outside.

Can we have some screenshots of the work of first 3 months?

Blahsadfeguie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2016, 08:10:00 pm »

I think the idea is that HMetal played a fort by himself, which ended prematurely from the aforementioned forgotten beast attack. That "timeline" was a dream of his character's in this one, which is starting from the beginning with the same embark.

Will there be kids? I dunno. Rovod is already out of ammo, and making bolts is not very high priority right now, so chances are she will be spending a lot of time in the fort helping with general labor. Plenty of opportunity, I think.

Though I kind of want to disable her hunting labor just so we don't use up a ton of wood on ammo and we can keep some in reserve, Just In CaseTM. Something I didn't get a chance to touch upon yet is Zefon's axedwarf skill - it'd be neat to see the two fighting together.

I would have taken some screenshots during the game, but I figured there wasn't really much to see. I'm not overly fancy or efficient with layouts. But, since you asked, sure.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17