Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17

Author Topic: Deathgame - A Very Insignificant Fort - LNP 42.06  (Read 69090 times)

Blahsadfeguie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgame - A (hopeful) Succession Fort With a Twist - LNP 42.06
« Reply #90 on: August 07, 2016, 04:45:16 pm »

Yeah this is about what I expected to see the moment my save was handed over. Revisions, reversals, re-imaginings. Not that I have a problem with that, of course.

I didn't think there was a risk of flooding, at least after I would have installed the door between the reservoir area and the stairs, but oh well.

No steel? I figured it'd save a bit of time to go ahead and make some steel weapons. Though I guess it wouldn't amount to much right now.

Loving the projects. The orchard is a brilliant idea. Secret projects are always fun.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 07, 2016, 05:21:19 pm »

Your projects are fine, Blahsadfeguie.  The area you dig will work ok, but I prefer my well are on stone instead of sand.

I also just have a more fancy cistern / water source in mind.  Hopefully, the miners are levelled up after digging 2z of 31x31 dirt, and 5x 31x31 stone layers.

I could make steel, but since we do have limited, I prefer the weaponsmith level up some before making steel weapons, to hopefully make exceptional or masterful by that time.  Anyway, I leave that project for other overseers, since hopefully this year remains peaceful. :)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 07, 2016, 05:38:42 pm »

To be fair, I do that to my forts do (as in move stuff around and such). Still, I think dwarves outendure their surroundings.
Speaking of that and steel, I may very well go for path of "train for mooding"...eh, a length project.

Also, instead of a door (which would not prevent water rising up through the well's hole), building 1 wall at the end of the pipe would be enough to diagonally depressurize. Otherwise...

How's the pop, Sanctume? I think should be in 50s by now, perhaps?

And yeah, though vampires are bit less of a curse with taverns. Nevertheless....*shrugs*

Do named trolls get cursed when toppling statues in omni-pantheon temples?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 05:41:47 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 07, 2016, 06:46:57 pm »

We're at 48 pop when autumn arrives.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 08, 2016, 10:21:12 am »

Chapter 2: The Workforce

Slate, 501

It is mid-spring already and I noticed a peculiar path going up.  Oh, this is a kea trap of sorts, but definitely not secure.  To do a quick remedy, I set a path secured by a hatch cover.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ahh, my first 6 copper picks are ready.  Now let me assign the farmers, cooks, and haulers to mining labor.  We have plenty of dirt to excavate.  I further contemplate on letting the dabbling miners dig my special project since any blood spill will probably give it character.

And the good news, we have twenty-one migrants join our now Hamlet Deathgame.  So, I immediately seized the copper picks from the dabbling miners as I allocate labors to my new workforce.

‘Kea’ Dishmab, ‘Kea’ Minkot, ‘Kea’ Ingish, ‘Kea’ Kubuk, and ‘Kea’ Olon are to be reserved for later recruitment.  In the meantime, they will do hauling and odd labors.

‘Axe’ Astesh and ‘Axe’ Nomal join the wood cutters in mass felling of trees.

‘Miner’ Mosus, ‘Miner’ Medtob K, ‘Miner’ Rith, ‘Miner’ Logem, ‘Miner’ Zuglar, ‘Miner’ Zasit, and ‘Miner’ Bembul will be miners, and thus I ordered six more copper picks.

‘Farmer’ Lolor just for the laugh, but seriously, you can work in food services.

We have a few others trained in weaponry: ‘Hammer’ Sakzul, ‘Spear’ Amost, and ‘Sword’ Litast.  ‘Hammer Sakzul comments that Deathgame is where the action is for “soldiers of fortune” whatever that means.

And the useless but artful prospects: ‘Engrave’ Olon, ‘Engrave’ Ral T, and ‘Engrave' Thob.

Cmdr Rovod starts hunting as soon as the copper bolts are made, so a large refuse pile is created outside.  I check what is the hold up on the garbage disposal.  Architects?  We need a few more architects. Mechanics?  Suspend making mechanisms.  Maybe we need more mechanic's apprentices.

Woodburn Ral seems to spend much time meditating in the temple about being wealthy.  And he is one of my architects.

Hematite, 501

Summer arrives, and spring have gone by too fast as excavations continue, and now our workforce is increased again by the arrival of eight more migrants.

Word from the Mountainhome is that Hamlet Deathgame is a wealthy and peaceful area, so it is not unusual for trained military drop-outs come hiding here seeking wealth:

‘Sword’ Imush, ‘Hammer’ Mech, ‘Hammer’ Cerol, ‘Hammer’ Atir, ‘Hammer’ Asmel E, ‘Hammer’ Stinthad, ‘Kea’ Iteb, and ‘Kea’ Ral L join the haulers.

A few weeks into the month, Engrave Ral T withdraws from society and claims Craftdwarf’s workshop.  He grabs a pair of gabbro boulders and made a sceptre.  I could use a rock back scratcher, actually.

After the excitement for our first artifact, Forge Asen continues to stud weapons with gold like this exceptional copper crossbow with superior bands of gold sported by our very own Cmdr Rovod:

A gem storage room is marked for excavation, and then building walls around the jewelry shop.  How this side project got priority is unknown to me, but what’s done is done.

However, these excavations for storage expansions are like needy children wanting attention all the time.  The food area is full and the meager dining hall only have four sets of gabbro tables and thrones.  Dining hall is not my priority.  However, our booze count is almost 800 and food stores is near 2500.  The food storage expansion can wait.

There is an air of resentment.  It could be that I removed poor quality beds to be dumped in our new garbage disposal.  Complaints about noise from all the stone scratching is also on the rise but this is only temporary as all the first 24 bedroom (z137) floors are all smoothed.  Installing exceptional and masterful beds seems to thwart the growing resentments and complaints.  I may be forgetting something though, but I shrug it off to focus on the project at hand.  The masterful cobaltite lever that controls the garbage disposal is handsomely placed to give good thoughts.

The second 24 bedroom floors and five office suites are still being smoothed on z136.  My office is there, and it only has priority three.  Where are the perks of this noble job?  No respect at all.

Galena, 501

It’s late summer already and I yelled at the mechanic apprentice for putting a wooden spiked ball with nine other silver spiked balls.  I demand the disassembly to correct the problem since early summer, and to this day it still isn’t disassembled.  I’m am stressing here.

A bit of good news! ‘Kea’ Iton Logemgutis, Peasant has given a birth to a girl... alone, out there in the woods.
To celebrate, she keeps on hunting Giant Hamsters.  And with the assist from Cmdr Rovod, it is time to feed the baby.  You so dwarfy ladies.

The miners are doing great but I am concerned for stone digging may take longer for The Orchard.  I think the bonus surprise project will take one more level to complete, but I want some extra stone smoothing before the final level.

With all the hunting done by Cmd Rovod and Kea Iton, someone neglected meat in the butcher’s shop.  A rotting mountain goat meat is spreading miasma inside.  It seems the temporary "All Food" stockpile is really full, so I added a meat locker, a meager cheese and milk pile.  The expansion to the food storage is still pending--oh right, I said it can wait, but not anymore.

With the rotting meat fresh in my mind, I ordered to slaughter animals: cows, water buffalos, and donkeys.  We’re keeping the pair of sheeps even though they have not produce any lambs. 

My orders for seven leather quivers are completed, so I order two more to complete a set of ten for the hamlet.  I must be reminded to order backpacks next, and gold flasks for all.

For the last week of summer, I start planning for the water cistern.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 11:32:51 am by Sanctume »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 08, 2016, 11:34:37 am »

This story post gives a certain sense of gravitic dragging, what's with the question answered being in autumn.

I'll take on the grand dining hall. I have an idea for a mural, though I'm not certain it is feasible...

Regarding food industry, with the mass herbalism,  remind me how to mass-cook everything in a container again? Liquids such as milk work fine, but I don't remember right now how to do the saladupas.

Is Sakzul our first mercanery to petition to join? I guess he can patrol the cavern till being eaten by that flying firespitter, if the FBs will be same.

An architect medidating on wealth...Is fitting but troublesome.

A legendary engraver is nice for your project, I guess. Speaking of engraving images, can't you specify image for gold studding? Or does that crash the game?

Regarding garbage disposal, I think the main pain is more setting up stockpiles for nerves and spines and feathers and such, really. Got any macros for that?

Btw, I expect it is built for including magma :P will the bridge melt when cartful is dumped in?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 08, 2016, 12:07:59 pm »

Oh, when I play, I have 1 google doc of game notes.  Auto saves on seasons, so I take a break, and probably read my notes a few times creating a separate note for chapters. 

Then I play again, adding to the original game notes and by this time, I usually see some story where to break off chapters, so it is not all just spring, summer, etc. 

Also, during play, I pause a lot, do screen caps, crops, and pasting then write into the notes for reference, even wiki stuff again.  After the first draft, that's when I usually upload the images to imgur.  Then, I do another draft in the forum via reply so I can preview.  I would then save the reply preview.

As I continue playing, I refer the un-posted reply preview as reference on where to focus next. 

But when I reply in the forums last, I was already starting autumn, posted Chapter 1, and have Chapter 2 in draft with no uploaded images yet.

Still, even after I post, I usually still see typos that I missed in a few proof readings.

--

You know what's funny?  I thought the Cloud Monastery was a tavern, but it is a generic temple for all deity.  I also set this to Citizens and residents only.

Which means, we have no tavern, so no visitors, no petition.  We have one guest, the baron consort / liaison.

It was just a bit of RP when 'Hammer' Sakzul commented which I adlib in my final draft but it will be relevant in autumn story-wise.

Our dining hall is around 11x11, not smoothed, 4 gabbro chairs and thrones, 5x11 drinks (full), and 5x6 prepared food pile. 

The adjacent "All Food" was around 11x11 and it was full also.  Prepared meal isn't really an issue since dwarfs are ok eating raw stuff.

The main bridge of my special project, I saw a "masterful design" message, so that was nice.

I was not able to "d" when studding weapons with gold. 

The setup was Weapon Feeder -> Forge.  Gold bars -> Forge.  Then Forge -> Weapon stockpile in the armory.
I only studded the few copper and silver weapons I made.  After the trade caravan, I did not stud anymore, and worked on melting the no-good metal weapons (bronze and copper mace / war hammer).  There some metal armors, shields and buckers too, but I did not touch them.

Re: I am using garbage disposal to dump low quality beds.  And even started on door, but it is time crunch, so focusing on finishing the projects.

It looks like I can finish
1. Orchard collapse
2. Well Plumbing, but no hospital / jails
3. Secret Project is functional, but it went crazy larger for its other amenities.

Haha, I did not dig down deeper than the tetrahedrite vein.  So no cavern.  No magma.  We do have a decent mining force.

Oh shi... I went for aesthetic and used colbaltite bridge for its blue color, but not magma-safe.  It is accessible for reconstruction and using gabbro though, so no biggie.  I did my usual 5z drop garbage chute though.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 12:11:15 pm by Sanctume »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 08, 2016, 01:12:13 pm »

Mm, I personally don't autosave - preferring instead of doing designations+quicksave and saving again when at least 1 next thing is done.

And reminds me to turn off autodeletion on my freeform screenshots. Should probably make that a toggle...

- - -

So far, I have not had visitors to temples anyway, not that I have extensively tested it (haven't seen performance troupe yet, either). Library, yes (my volcano fort has no tavern), but not temple. And huh...Well, I guess I might send Sakzul down anyway, but hammers are not great on cavern critters.

- - -

Yeah I'll expand that. I tend to go for at least 30^2 square dining halls. Probably put it underneath the soil drop.

- - -

Prepared meals are for caravans, hence the question. Barring that, I'll probably set up a boozecart for it. Or perhaps just produce silver spiked balls with the ton of silver around *shrugs* Longer hauling but simpler/less jobs per ⛭
- - -
- - -
Regarding drop chute, with the diagonal the mist can't escape anyway (I actually have done a minecart double-diagonal design for dumping). I recall Quietust theorizing that two-tile wholly magma-submerged bridges may or may not be magma safe depending on which direction they open in.

I shall do science on this.

*does science*

Results: Opening South and East is safe, North and and West burns the tower-cap bridges. So no retrofitting needed.    

E: Tree caveins totally happen in 42.06 (that place had a fully grown tree caved in and then bridged over)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 03:50:04 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 09, 2016, 09:26:23 am »

Chapter 3: Water Works

Limestone, 501

Autumn has come and a mandate to mint two stacks of gold coins to commemorate Deathgame 501 results in some fancy coins.

I asked Blahsadfeguie and his axe-crew to continue cutting the rest of the trees in the land far to the east and south.   It is also easy to miss the trees on the hills above us to the west.  There are already holes on the ceiling that needs patching.

Finishing the excavation of the fourth stone layer underneath The Orchard is done and should be enough to this plan I drafted.

The baron consort Urvad Vutokbisl of Earthenappear from Tun Deg arrived and brings news, “The world is the same as ever.”

We requested bear and large predator-cat leathers, iron and steel, some choice cloths, a passing interest for instruments, and sheets.  Apparently, seeds and metal bars are in high demand back in Tun Deg.

The caravan from Tun Deg unloaded three wagons and a few pack animals.  The haulers move gold crafts, masterwork booze barrels, gold goblets, and wooden spiked balls to the Trade Depot.

We got some metal bars, iron ores, metal weapons and armors and trap components, anvils, books, sheets, instruments, toys, leather, bags, backpacks, quivers, and metal bolts.

We traded out 120,000 worth of goods, and took in about 70,000 giving the traders a hefty 50,000 profit.  Tell your merchants friends to bring more metals next time.

The cistern and plumbing are excavated.  I assigned all rocks to be dumped to clear the dig site of the water tunnel, while I set up two temporary mason shops to make blocks out of the boulders in the well cistern.

I also pondered about the 5z worth of gold and gabbro underneath The Orchard.  The gems are hauled away to the gem storage excavation.  I will attempt to save as much gold nuggets in a separate stockpile room dug out of the red sand layer, and I will just let the gabbro boulders be obliterated in the collapse.

Sandstone, 501

Mid-autumn, ‘Woodburn’ Asmel has given birth to a baby boy.  Oh my, I hope that baby Ezum is not inside the wood furnace.

Oh noes!  When the caravan departed, masterwork items are reported to have been lost.

That’s one masterful work from Forge Asen (a gold craft), and 29 masterful items from ‘Carp’ Morul (masterful barrels of booze).  They both have this same thought:

We are not a hamlet anymore as nine more migrants arrive to the Village Deathgame. 

Miner Datan, ‘Mech’ Morul
‘Axe’ Ushat, ‘Hammer’ Rigoth, ‘Sword’ Ber, ‘Mace’ Mebzuth
Engrave Ducim, Engrave Mebzuth, and Engrave Zuglar

Mech Medtob is taken by a fey mood and claims a Mechanic’s Workshop and makes a gabbro mechanism.  I shall use this for the well.

Timber, 501

Before late-autumn, the “Well Fill Floodgate” is finally installed, and so I ordered to breach the brook for our water source.  The water will flow down from the brook on the surface, then passing through the raising bridge that functions as a “Water Source Shutoff”. 

The water tunnel is carved with “up stairs” to prevent tree growth.  The water goes through a double “u” bend that functions as a natural water filter via water pressure.  This engineering is powerful enough to convert any salt-water to fresh water.

The water rises up through cobaltite grates thus ensuring safety in case building destroyers try to enter from the water tunnel. 

The water then travels diagonally to reset the water pressure in a junction that can block water with the “Well Fill Floodgate”.

The lever controls for the well system is above this junction.  The water will then flow through a fortification to fill the well cistern.

The well cistern itself has stairs access from the well-head and down to the drain.  Each of the 3 levels are excavated, smoothed, and then finally the floors are channeled out carefully. 

The second level of the cistern showcases four “Water Plumbing Extensions” that is controlled by "floodgate and lever" linked pairs.  Future overseers may safely use these extensions for more water projects.

The bottom of the cistern is smoothed and a cobaltite hatch cover is set and controlled by a lever for draining purposes.

The portable drain system below the hatch is compact and can handle any amount of water via pressure and minecart track stop.  A masterful apple-wood minecart is placed even though nobody will see much of the portable drain in action.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 09:38:30 am by Sanctume »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 09, 2016, 12:20:02 pm »

The Orchard image is cute
>
The wars not happening is sad and unexpected. Dwarves totally are in range of humans, at least, though this fort in particular isn't, and I think the green in OP screenshot is goblins who have conquered at least one dwarven site?

Guess elven corpse-munching is more offensive or something.
>
High value leather, I assume?

I should probably make a list or something....
>
Tun Deg can eat roasts. Masterwork defacement...heh. Of 42.06 bugs, I think I find the tavern-goers joining siegers most concerning.
>
Hm. I personally use multiple direct feeder stockpiles to clear out even something as light as gems. Does dumping have higher priority than stockpiling?
>
I wonder if 'Mech Medtob' has the image of that same flaming fly...I mean, flying flamespitter FB that will have savaged the fort in 502?
>
Wait, double U bend converts salt water to fresh(not that there is any salt water on map)?

This I have to see *tests*

Sweet ocean water. Actually, single u-bend is enough. Not that salt water or building destroyers are a danger when drawing from a brook, I think.

...Also, I have too many worldgens.

Using stairs for well, huh? I usually use ramps for escape since wiki mentions them :P

Why both water fill and water source shutoff?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 09, 2016, 12:36:28 pm »

That sad kea paint.exe

I was binge re-watching Game of Thrones s6 and wanted bear and lion leather cloaks.  And it's almost winter.

With use of Dwarf Therapist, I disable all hauling except refuse gets dumping go fast. 

The miners only do stone hauling which move the gold nuggets fast with a nearby stock pile.  Oh an the 11x11 gold nugget is broken down into 3x11, 4x11, 4x11 each with 3 wheelbarrows.  I know that dfhack allows more wheelbarrows, but I stick with 3 max wheel barrows per stockpile to limit hauling labors.

Double u-bend was just for aesthetic since I made a 3-wide water tunnel.  A 1-wide tunnel will do, but it looks "not grand".  Besides, the miners are at least level 5+ so they dig stone fast.

Water source shut off let us use the water tunnel to make some hidden rogue hideout, maybe?

Water fill shut off just in case I need to fix well expansions or the drain (untested) but it worked in previous test I've done.

Also, water freezes above, the water tunnel can serve as a secondary cistern if the well is contaminated.

And where else can I use up the cobaltite mechanisms?  That thing is heavy to haul for weapon traps.

p.s. I don't have cage traps.  The fortress is open to invaders if there any.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 12:38:34 pm by Sanctume »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 09, 2016, 12:52:28 pm »

Heh, forgot about hauling labours. Used to autohauler.

I'll probably QSP the piles or something if I actually take a proper look at them. Tbh, all the eventual plans I have largely depend on the location of orchard.

That rogue hideout shouldn't be necessary, surely the fort's defences can deal with some titans and were...Hm, okay hope it won't be necessary.

There should be some cage traps in kea trap, but those won't work on werebeasts or titans anyway.

PS: Hm, what do you think of digging downstairs into surface floor to prevent tree/shrub growth after clearcutting for FPS?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 09, 2016, 01:45:13 pm »

I think the original "all food" pile, go north 11x11, then a 3-wide hall will meet the bottom left corner of the orchard. The bridge was still pending, and wall not yet breach to access.  Need to wait on sky bridge covers, and I ran out of gold bars trying to frame above the orchard.

Surface downstairs would be a cheap and fast way to go, but probably look ugly.  Gold roads?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 09, 2016, 02:05:20 pm »

Hm.

Seems like initially quite so, though it'll improve when grass sets in. Maybe paint a microcline and marble windows welcome screen on top.

Gold roading 288x288...Somewhere over 20736 blocks? Eep, the weight of those roads will affect FPS on their own.

E: Hm, isn't there a dfhack command to remove building materials from buildings?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 02:12:47 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 09, 2016, 04:24:29 pm »

Doesn't a road use less blocks per number of tiles?  1x3 needs 1 block, 1x7 need 2 blocks?

And the north-east area does not have trees, it could be a mountain biome, although there is grass.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 04:26:25 pm by Sanctume »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17