Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17

Author Topic: Deathgame - A Very Insignificant Fort - LNP 42.06  (Read 69019 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgame - A (hopeful) Succession Fort With a Twist - LNP 42.06
« Reply #105 on: August 09, 2016, 07:33:44 pm »

Yes, roads use 1+floor(squares/4) materials. Guess how I got that number :P

and oh it totally is a mountain biome, just look on the minimap marking it as mountains.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 10, 2016, 08:50:31 am »

ooc - I didn't get to play the past two nights, except for sort of save-scumming to capture the collapse in gif.  It took about 3 times, and the gif has a semi-fail "add text" to indicate z-level to it.   Also, leaving trees on the surface results in no trees but holes in their roots after.  So I re-load and cut all the trees before collapsing so the bottom floor is flat.  The result is a mix of grass, red sand floors, and gabbro pebbles.  No sapplings, but I hope surface trees will still grow.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 10, 2016, 09:04:45 am »

I hope you removed saplings in addition to cutting down trees before the collapse?

(I dunno if necessary, but if it is not sure if building wall below the spontaneous cave in point would be enough :p)

Roots are kind of weird. I've gotten embark wagon spawning on roots, resulting in walls without ceilings when wagon was removed.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 10, 2016, 09:37:41 am »

Um, nope, did not remove saplings.  What will happen?  A surprise fun.

I'll be focusing on finishing the addendums to my surprise project.  It was just a simple idea, and now it's somewhat largish with only winter left. 

I'm out of gabbro blocks and gold bars.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 10, 2016, 11:03:34 am »

Well....I guess it will be a surprise, at least.

Though it doesn't exactly give warm feelings about your project, quad-digit material grand it may be :P

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 11, 2016, 01:29:59 am »

Chapter 4: The Orchard Collapse

Winter, 501

As the manager, I profiled a lever to my own name, Sanctume, and pulled to start The Orchard collapse.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Something has collapsed on the surface!  And now we have The Orchard.

On Opal, 501 we have a couple more good news:
‘Miner’ Bembul Legonfikod, Miner has given birth to baby boy Lor.
‘Miner’ Rith Nubamedem, Miner has given birth to baby boy Likot.

My bonus surprise project is a simple defense (7 letters) Dodge Bridge entrance.  It is normally a 3-wide path to allow the caravan to come in unhindered.  This was taken last autumn.

In case of invaders, the three retracting bridges will be pulled leaving a 1-wide path dodge bridge.  The victim falls down from z143 to z138 (5z drop), and they if they survive the fall, they can climb up to the start of the dodge bridge to repeat dodging and falling again.

Currently, there are only 4 weapon traps each with 10x silver spiked balls.  So future overseers may add fun to this mini project.  The gold road and floors are now covered by vomit from cave adaptation.

The expansion to the dodge bridge became largish when I decided to add a shooting gallery fortification above, an archery range, and walls to help secure the village entrance.

Winter was also spent setting up the temporary gold nugget processing with the saved gold nuggets prior to the collapse, and three new wood burners, and three new smelters.  A temporary wood pile is setup to gather the nearest logs.

Going inside, the office level with added bedrooms are all smoothed with minimal bed and doors.  The important thing I forgot was to assign the beds as free bedrooms.  So the bedrooms are not available for claiming the entire year until this winter.

The Armory progress only to the point of clearing most of the boulders by making gabbro blocks.

I already furnished one of the wing of the "Shared Bedrooms with Private Storage".  This east wing showcases masterful beds, exceptional gabbro doors, gold chest and gold cabinets.

The original Dinning Hall needs work.  I already excavated expansion storage rooms specially for drinks.  I also started the Orchard Access but still waiting for the bridge to be set before breaching the walls; thus no levers are link, but one is available already in the Control Room.

Speaking of levers, I try to put Notes on both lever and bridge and put text notes on what z level to find it.

The New Year, 502 has come and my one year contract is complete.  I do hope I can keep this noble manager position.  Either way, I am now a Legendary Brewer.

Deathgame 502-01-01. End of Sanctume's turn.

SAVE is using windows compressed folder (zip).

Malakor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 11, 2016, 10:34:33 am »

Very nice!
Thats a neat way of defense you did there. Good job! :D

Reading thru this and looking at the screens, i realized that the weapons stockpile almost has an Swastika symbol. hah!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 11, 2016, 11:51:41 am »

*Hope for the orchard*

That's an interesting red/dark grey pattern on the 137z.

I see your project, and it is a surprise. Got to say, the claim on surface is probably the real price here.

That's an odd placement and outside access of archery range, with the stated defensive purpose?

Ditto for ammo placement. Am I missing something, it seems like they were supposed to protect just 1 gate?

And now, 60 pop is lot lower than I expected, but I guess I do have migrant wave incoming.

Still, I guess I get a better idea when I look around in save myself.

*loads up the save*

Hm, tileset issues....Not entirely unexpected. Well, I have my zipped 42.06 LNP just for this (not PE, but the dude removed pack).

*attempts to use PyLNP*
*It predictably skips the Deathgame*

*frowns* Well, since the game should have no mods, lets try replacing the raw folder.

*replaces*

Looks like it worked (if that was a bad idea, warn me now), which prompts me to ask:

Why is that inaccessible loam wall revealed, did you dig downstairs before paving with log floor above?

Hm...what's with the marked channeling designations in orchard sand, measuring?

I notice you have drake cage surrounded by ducks. Any fertilized eggs from that?

Hm...how well did kea trap work? I see no blood splatters, no giant kea meat in kitchen options, no caged beasts in creatures list.

Farm plots...Have no dimple cups or plump helmets to plant.

Spoiler: "Well...." (click to show/hide)

I'm sure the fort won't be running out of drink anytime soon, though.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 11, 2016, 12:10:42 pm »

I initially only wanted the dodge bridge, then added the fortifications. 

I was low on gabbro blocks, so I decided to save by making the archery range.  Notice the un-floored area to the right of the range?  I was skimming on blocks.

The Armory was just kinda out of the blue as I needed more gabbro, but did not want bedrooms, so I made some fancy digging. But then I needed a weapon stockpile to "Give To" after studding. 

p.s. Oh yeah, gold stud can 'd' change the details.  I was probably sleep deprived last weekend when it did not work.  I think I place 4 styles of studding using Image chosen by crafter, but make it "banded", "spikes", "covered" and something else.

Hmm, tilesets.  I may have used Pheobus Diagonal, but I did not think it changed the raw?  My bad, I should have set it to ascii before saving.

The loam, they are floors and roots, but then I used logs to floor the area inside the wall.  It was that way already.

The markings on the sand layer was a guide I was going to use to frame the surface open space with gold.  It should leave a 10x10 area for a retracting bridge, and 9x9 on the upper right.  All in all, it fits the max size zone of the orchard.  I did notice some sapplings there, so it looks like it will work ok.

The farm plots are there already and larger then my usual 3x5s or 1x7s.  So I did not touch them at all, and rely on plant gather and meat for food and brew.

Yeah, Legendary Brewer + safe water source with artifact well !

« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 12:15:18 pm by Sanctume »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 11, 2016, 12:24:54 pm »

Hm, looking at labours, any particular plan you used for your setup? I'm a bit mystified by numerous disabled Great skills, even if they're not used presently.

Yea, I initially thought the cause was just my minor description mod I installed and forgot, but it might be something about LNP/graphics interaction itself.

Why 9x9 on upper right? Otherwise, I notice apple, apricot and sand pear as far as brewables go.

E: Any remaining orders/jobs I should know about?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 12:31:58 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 11, 2016, 12:40:47 pm »

I think I had LNP to have migrants show up with 0 skills enabled except hauling. 

For a small pop and large projects, I tend to micro manage even hauling, but I did not want to use DT's Profession templates because that changes the profession titles also. 

Largest zone size does not fit adjacent 10x10 with 1 frame in between, thus leaving a shorter 9x9 on the end to maintain a 1 wide frame outside also.  I gave up on symmetricals :)

I don't think I was able to start the gold nuggets smelting on the red sand which would benefit if the wood burners and smelters inside not have jobs for a while.
This is suppose to be temporary, thus a down stairs from the dirt to haul wood faster.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 11, 2016, 05:15:50 pm »

Ah, I see. Quite a few workshops waiting for construction now as well.

And ow, I think the deforestation has to proceed with ballista and fire; the game pauses when I scroll down to the thousands of logs on the stocks screen. Getting 35 FPS.

And hm. Bit of a pickle rn looking at layout: Planned to do dining halls and such under - or above, even, cave adaptation and all - orchard, but now that I look at it, all the lengthily-designated bedrooms and such have at least 90 tile walking distance from the center of it.

On the flip side, the fortress of deathgame has access to the following colors:

white
light grey
dark grey

yellow
brown

blue
dark blue

cyan
teal

red

light purple
dark purple

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 11, 2016, 06:04:15 pm »

you forgot the temporary colors of vomit

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 11, 2016, 06:08:26 pm »

For the purposes of murals, they better not exist :P

Anyway, I've decided: I shall progressively abandon the old complex so that relocation can proceed to below the orchard, a decision helped along by the idea of waterboarding my dwarves.

1st Granite, 502

'HMetal' Silverystopped has walked the halls of Deathgame in his xclothesx for two years. A legendary miner who loves plump helmets, Lim Veilconfuses and palaces, the fitting image of a dwarf.

Yet...something was missing.

Loneliness, boredom, lack of fighting or touch or even Singing has left him unfocused. And what of the dreams of crown he had? All he is doing is hauling! Half the population is just carrying stuff around!

"Who likes crowns here! Golden gold-decorated crowns? Hello?"

"I do!" answers Rith Tealkeys.

"Uh, me as well" says Lor  Doorpainted.
"And me," finishes Sakzul Vesselcaves.

"Eh, kinda? It's more that I like wearing one. I'd pick up a new one the moment I see a better one." says Lolor, the only one among them to wear a crown.

. . .

"What about you, Zasit? Or you, Asen? You're certainly capable of creating crowns as well."

Asen shrugs his shoulders: "Yeah, but we don't really care for them, you know? Only created two here. "

Zasit bares his teeth. "Which would you rather have? Gold crowns, to weigh you down? Or gold goblets, to drink with?"

"You know, if you want the best crown imaginable, you need help from the fey- " says Medtob, "- or whispers." finishes Ral T.

"What's that like?"

"In a single moment, your artisanship eclipses itself and you obtain solitary focus and obsession towards a single creation." says Ral T

"You can, however, do what you want with it. I like myself and the work I created, for instance." says Medtob.

At this point, Guzlogem steps up: "I know what you're thinking! 'I want to do that too!'
I propose that we all train so that all of us can produce something of great value!"

Several dwarves are seen nodding along, Sakzul foremost among them.

"Let us have skill with gold!" he roars.

"Let us have skill with steel!" answers Commander Rovod.

"...I'm not great at crafting anything, even if I want to be." says Litast. "And you shall never be either, HMetal. What will you be doing?"

"You're right. I'll take up my pick and defend you while you learn, then. I helped found Deathgame, I'll protect it."

. . . 

In the end, an agreement was made for 21 dwarves to spend a week learning craft so that more may be created:

Sakzul, Rigoth, Cerol, Rovod, Ra, Lolor, Astesh and Litast decided to learn a bit about metalcrating, with Zan insisting on sticking with woodcrafting.

Fath, Ushat, Imush, Iteb, Olon, Ral L and Asmel E, Mebzuth and  Guzlogem liked weapons (or enermous corkscrews) and thus agreed to dabble in it, the latter two in crossbow-making.

Asmel Workedchances and Sanctume decided to try their hand at armoring due preference for mail shirts and gauntlets, despite Asen already being great at it.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 08:06:43 pm by Fleeting Frames »

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
  • WipEout - CONTENDER ELIMINATED
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 14, 2016, 02:45:14 am »

How good is my archiving?
The giant louse is on the loose and some loser dwarf has blood to lose.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17