Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17

Author Topic: Deathgame - A Very Insignificant Fort - LNP 42.06  (Read 68406 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgame - A Dying Succession Fort With a Twist - LNP 42.06
« Reply #180 on: September 29, 2016, 04:41:53 pm »

Ahahaha, 5* adamantine?

Yeah, worth a lot. Though might want to cut some new raw adamantine, now :p

And hopefully it makes a good BD bait. There's kinda a defensive hole there, I think, and the reason I designed the defences to shut down entrances in case of destruction.

*preens & approves*

Wait, peregine  falcon was out of cage? Huh. Didn't know they took them out.

A coffin. A coffin with images of gem, and a Roc.

Okay, we should expect a roc.

This is a good time to mention that I recall that while there's a wall blocking the stairs up to the Orchard, a flier could still fly diagonally downward from there. (Intended to replace wall with stairs and floor over the orchard when trees grow up, but that will take 2 more years.)

Also *wikis coffin*

Hm, seems like a buildingdestroyer would topple it, not attempt to destroy it. You could try with a gabbro coffin first when baiting Zom, of course, but...

Eeeh. It serves as an incredibly appropriate warning of death and destruction.

Though the in-story reactions were cute ♥

The image is cool, though I'm dissapointed by how the passing-by dwarves never actually look at engravings - only buildings! Maybe craft it into a statue as well - maybe in the mines, since Stinthad is a miner (or is she a military in LP, now? Don't recall.)

PS: Ahahaha bronze colossi only need 100k to attack. The fort is worth now like 56 mil?

Lightning Picks didn't have barracks before, btw :v So this will be the first time they'll spar :>

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
  • WipEout - CONTENDER ELIMINATED
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 29, 2016, 04:53:48 pm »

The falcon was in the cage. I was stooped to engage.

So, you approve the Fleeting Frames? (The pun was very much intended)

Stinthad's a dude. At least the coffin maker.

What's a BD?
The giant louse is on the loose and some loser dwarf has blood to lose.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 29, 2016, 05:13:30 pm »

Ah, falcon is intended to stay in a cage. I suppose you could chain it next to food stockpile and make that an animal training zone, I suppose, but perhaps can catch a female for mating pair to leave kittens behind ^^;

Yeah I do :p This name was chosen in large part for it's alliteration.

Hm, multiple Stinthad's then. Mayor Stinthad was a girl.

BD = short for buildingdestroyer (use this often in my notes).

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 05, 2016, 03:54:17 pm »

Journal of HMetal Silverystopped, Overseer
27 Slate, 503

The Spirit of the Frames has said that I should make a statue for our proud fey miner. So I'm about to order this:

Spoiler: Stinthad's Statue (click to show/hide)

I'm reading this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also this just in: . Congratulations! Boy oh boy, her family should really be happy. What's his name?

Spoiler: His name's Tholtig (click to show/hide)

So the Picks' new barracks is this:

I get it. It's the ammo stockpile. But I have no use for it, so I make this place the barracks for my squad.

28 Slate, 503

I've ordered 10 weapon racks to be made.

1 Felsite, 503

12 Days To Go

Our Mayor has just mandated this:

Why??

Also, I've cancelled the production of weapon racks, as they don't really do anything. So armor stands instead.

7 Felsite, 503

6 Days to go

I hit a snag. The room I dug out wasn't going to work, so I took one of the rooms with the golden chests and cabinets as my barracks.

"Oi, Blahsfeg!" "Yeah, what?" "Could I borrow one of the bedroom halls with the golden chests and cabinets?" "What for?" "Barracks." "Just take it, will you. You already dug out an archery range for Rovod's so I don't see why not." "Thanks!"

When he took the reins, it was very relieving. I just resigned from the position of expedition leader, after that nightmare burned into my mind, alongside my "deathly screech", as Blahsfeg put it in his log, into Blah, Rovod, Nish, Morul, Erush, and Fath's minds.

So all I had to do was demolish the walls by pick. Thanks, Medtob!

8 Felsite, 503

5 Days To Go

Spoiler: Our new barracks (click to show/hide)
The room with the microcline walls is the weapons stockpile, for all squads. The aforementioned golden chests-'n-cabinets room is the not-so-humble barrack of the Lightning Picks.

We have two rather unfortunate dwarves here. There's Stinthad, also known as the guy who just had to make a raw adamantine coffin, Iton's father, and the grandfather of little Tholtig. And there's Lor. He's the father of Tholtig, son-in-law of Stinthad, and husband to Iton of the Tongs.
Goody gumdrops I have to pray.

9 Felsite, 503

4 Days To Go

I'll be organizing a striking demonstration shortly.

"Alright, Monom. WHY DO YOU HAVE YOUR DAUGHTER HERE?!"

Lokum then cries loudly. "Sshhh. Sorry, Sir. She needs to be with me. She cries when I'm away. Please forgive this slight infraction." "Well, mothers are allowed to bring their children to combat and training according to Dwarven law everywhere, so I'll let it slide." "Thank you, Sir."

"Anyway. I've seen you all dig. You are legends of hacking away rock with your picks. But we aren't competent warriors yet. So I'm here to teach you how to strike with your picks.", says Monom.

Few hours later

"You STILL aren't getting that focusing your strike on the enemy is the most important part, Kumil.", Monom said disdainfully. "Seriously, Kumil, listen to her. She's very skilled with hacking someone with a pick." Kumil responds, saying "Says the one who killed a minotaur with a pick. She haven't done anything yet!". "We're training so that we can kill that damned deer under us with dandruff that can kill us all. You need to practice, okay? So LISTEN.", I had to tell him.

Later, I also started to lead. "It might help in mining, but letting your weapon, your pick, slip away to hit the enemy more accurately DOESN'T CUT IT. LITERALLY. Always strike with a firm grip, because if you don't, the enemy will easily disarm and kill you. Need any tips? Dry your hands before you go out. It'll help with gripping your pick. Also, don't hold the pick in the middle. Hold it between the tip of the handle and the middle of the pick. And on that spot, use your dominant hand to strike the enemy. Your non-dominant hand should be closer to the edge to help swing."

Also When will they be ready?

"So now, Monom's asleep. WHY?! WE NEED TO TRAIN! Anyway, here's how you fight. Only fight like this when you're disarmed. And against the deer in the caverns, it'd be useless. But still if we survive but the fort doesn't, you still have more job prospects! Logem, you're exempted from this. You're good. Real good. So teach some of the striking techniques, okay?" "Sir, I feel Lor should show Erith." "Why?" "His striking accuracy is something to aspire to." "Okay Lor, you show Erith, okay?" "Yes, Sir!"

"First of all, a mug of ale before the fight is key to this technique, as you can whack the enemy with unparalleled force. Clench your fists and aim for the face if the gobbo is armored; that'll daze him temporarily and leave your friend from the archer squad an easy shot! Bite into the eyes, as it'll hurt there the most..."

And it went on into the next day.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 05, 2016, 05:16:05 pm »

- The Doors of Evening - Where even our books menace with sharp tooth - wait, shouldn't that be about animals, not dancing?

- Hm, Tholtig...Ugh. Do we have any quinoa (beer)? Because if not, that boy is going to be veeery distracted when he grows up. Still good for furnace operator/mechanic, I suppose.

- Fights in a stockpile can result in dwarves using things lying in that stockpile to attack. Ammo stockpile? Hehe.

- Room with golden chest and cabinet...Hm. All the ones I recall are in living or traffic areas.

This could be interesting. Could go well, in allowing passing dwarves to gain observer skill when watching. Or not so well, in allowing passing dwarves to collide with wrestling-thrown dwarf.

Lets see what happens?

Oooh those rooms. I had completely forgotten about those. Scratch the above - that might be just a bit of distance to walk from tavern, but there should be some chairs, tables, food and booze above.

- Why are Stinthad Sarąbim and Lor Tunlogem unfortunate? Potential deaths in family?

Hm. Doesn't Stinthad have any chairs or tables assigned? Might assign her some in the tavern, that also takes care of the lack of armor stands.

Though :( on mandates.

- I like the demonstration :) How many participated? Any sparring yet?

And hehe, "damned deer under us with dandruff that can kill us all" Is so accurate XD

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 11, 2016, 01:22:15 pm »

10 Felsite, 503

3 Days to Go

Okay. It's even weirder that Stinthad, Creator of Singclubs, is atheistic. And

19 Felsite, 503

WTF nothing happened

Spoiler: Poetry Recital (click to show/hide)

Why are they listening to Goblin poetry?

Also, I get it that nothing happened here, but it just felt off somehow. And no, I'm not going to be complacent with anything. Ever.

24 Felsite, 503

Can't believe it. I could swear my nightmare wasn't past yesterday, chronologically speaking. Yet we all live. I couldn't be happier.

Spoiler: But er... (click to show/hide)

WHAT THE LITERAL FLYING POISONOUS WEB-SPINNING FIERY ZOMBIE CARP DEMON HAPPENED HERE?!?!?!?!?! Armok's bloody beard! Seriously, why are there ashes here? Did some fire titan sprawl its way here? A dragon perhaps?

25 Felsite, 503

Spoiler: Our Own Poetry (click to show/hide)

We certainly need these, especially to remind ourselves that we are dwarves; we fight to both defend our friends and family, and to attain honor in battle.

27 Felsite, 503

For any performers willing.

Also Sanctume, our manager, has shown me the notes of the levers controlling the bridges outside.

28 Felsite, 503

The month and the season draw to a close. So far I like this job! Also,

1 Hematite, 503

And

Also, I've decided to reverse the change on the Tongs. Many of the craftsdwarves were complaining of a lack of logs. Bone isn't any better; we may have a lot, but they're certainly less efficient.

Sorry about not posting that much, but RL and procrastination can kill a fort. I have no excuses.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 01:24:01 pm by HMetal2001 »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 11, 2016, 10:25:38 pm »

Love conusion, hehe

Stinthad just wants to raise a family ♥

And Sing, I guess? I've only recently started looking at poetry myself. Didn't expect goblin poetry to be vicious. Isn't Kulet not only a dance move, but an instrument too? (unsure)

And yeah, history can differ. Have fun.

I set the surface on fire with magma minecarts, maybe that's why there's the ashes?

Hm, I guess Tongs are back to metal ammo then. Are they training? Either way, they seem low on bolts in that screenshot, only four of them having any.

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 11, 2016, 10:39:25 pm »

Actually, the fort has 1040 or so bolts. I was hoping to save them for any incursions. Dagnabbit, the bridges drive me crazy.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 12, 2016, 01:10:53 am »

I think every bridge has been noted and marked, but if there's been confusion might as well ask here so others can see, rather than in PM: Which bridges are confusing to you?

(those probably could be more clearly noted, obviously)

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 12, 2016, 07:43:30 am »

The raising bridge at the entrance. That one is blocking the new migrants, and cutting me off from all the logs outside.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 12, 2016, 08:27:41 am »

I think you can link more than one lever to a bridge.  Or just dismantle and re-create the bridge and re-link a new lever.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 13, 2016, 12:14:07 am »

Do you mean the http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-33448-entracemaze bridge being raised?

Yeah it is raised, noted, and linked multiple times.
Checking save, this is the note:

Quotes for the link:

"Well, then you'll like this too. After the mood room was done, I consulted with Brassfaiths, and added setup for your squad to control fort access."

"Above, the north slate bridge controls the entrance gabbro bridge. Meanwhile, the rough cobaltite bridge controls the entrance cobaltite bridges." gestures Onciblu.

Sanctume-built entrance for reference.

Putting a hand on Rovod's shoulder, she instructs: "Merely briefly entertain the thought of them not being in the way, and the fortress is sealed - or unsealed the other way."

"Below, the carts cycle, dictating whether this thing is on or off. "

And Sanctume's:

My bonus surprise project is a simple defense (7 letters) Dodge Bridge entrance.  It is normally a 3-wide path to allow the caravan to come in unhindered.  This was taken last autumn.

In case of invaders, the three retracting bridges will be pulled leaving a 1-wide path dodge bridge.  The victim falls down from z143 to z138 (5z drop), and they if they survive the fall, they can climb up to the start of the dodge bridge to repeat dodging and falling again.

Speaking of levers, I try to put Notes on both lever and bridge and put text notes on what z level to find it.

I'll now add more text to that POI, I guess.

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 14, 2016, 02:24:15 am »

4 Hematite, 503

We have a food problem.
So that we can do something about it, I have ordered all squads to remain inactive.

Also, I will try to get the main bridge to come down. The dwarves crying for food are stuck outside.

6 Hematite, 503

And help is on the way! Can't believe I am this stupid. What could make me stupider is that even when off duty, I still do individual combat drills! The bridge worked. I just don't have patience apparently. Thank you Manager!

7 Hematite, 503

I also forgot to note that we're replenishing our log stocks.

20 Hematite, 503

OH GOD IT'S COMING UP TO US!!!!!!!!! THE BEAST IS COMING UUUUUPPP!!!!! AND WE'RE NOT READY! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If the fort falls, I'll run my backup save from summer. More nightmares!!!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 14, 2016, 02:28:58 am »

- Food problem, just outside? We have hundreds of poultry, plants on the surface, farms setup to produce marvellous roasts, etc...There shouldn't be a food problem.

- You let beast bypass all our outer defences, did you?

There should be hatches in the way for lot of them, so can forbid those. Or just slap a wall in place.

Though, which beast? Lot of beasts. FB, Werebeast, titan, dragon, etc? Anything fleshy or non-metallic without deadly dust, poison vapours, fire or webs should be easily handled by the military anyway.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 02:31:08 am by Fleeting Frames »

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 14, 2016, 02:31:42 am »

No. It's climbing up. Already at the floor of the cavern.

The FB
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17