Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17

Author Topic: Deathgame - A Very Insignificant Fort - LNP 42.06  (Read 68520 times)

ringringlingling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgame - A Dying Succession Fort With a Twist - LNP 42.06
« Reply #225 on: November 19, 2016, 07:48:46 pm »

Within a few minutes the new overseer had developed a nervous twitch.  Overlooking the grounds he felt dizzy.  There were thousands of staircases leading to nowhere.  What he thought were bedrooms had been in fact, some sort of drowning chambers, linked to some sort of bizarre reservoir that circled the entirety of the meeting halls, bedrooms and several floors.  Everything lay scattered about in ashes.

Less than an hour in, he began muttering to himself.  Finally, he asked the bookkeeper for a record of their livestock. 

"MEAT FOR THE MEAT GOD!  BONES FOR THE BONE THRONE!"  His eyes bulged out of their sockets and the vein in his forehead swelled.
"Uh, sir?"
"slaughter...EVERYTHING!!!"

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 19, 2016, 10:06:10 pm »

Oh wow. This is unexpected.

Hehehe. I know it is mean to say this, but at least it isn't battlefailed :P

The bedrooms were supposed to train the swimming in their sleep. It didn't work out in practice :< I had insufficient testing, and this is quite a shame, since sleep time is otherwise wasted.

Ahahahaha killall?

Including the FBs?

Good luck my good sir. I run a meat industry sometimes, but I tend to forget about the "butchering part" - herbalist is OP :v

*looks at the screenshot*

What is that place....Oh.
Just so you know - since I have a feeling you didn't read the thread -  there is a quantum stockpile for everything, including refuse. I laid out posts detailing the locations of such for all.

Well, you have alreay proven you have your own vision for the fortress, different from any previous overseer. Now that's the proper rulership of bay12 way! :P

(I guess that means have to wait for orchard again, though, what's with the trees being trampled :v Well, that's not long)

ringringlingling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 20, 2016, 01:59:07 am »

Dammit, game crashed.

It was actually improving the fps, i think, but for some reason I couldn't build any butcher shops in the large outdoor area you channeled/caved in.  They would all start building then get suspended, so i ended up building butcher shops indoors in the main meeting hall, which caused miasma.  I channelled through the roof but that meant i had to remove the outdoor meat/bone stockpile, which caused all the food to rot, and I had a cave in even though I could only channel one strip of terrain at a time.  By the time the miasma hit, i was at 7 frames per second, before it finally crashed.

I just built my first minetrack so i could transport some magma to my other fort.  I managed to get it to work but it was huge pain in the ass, for some reason my dorfs just did not want to haul my minecart to the dump area.  Once they finally decided to move it the rest was pretty easy.  Maybe I can take another look at the fort now that I understand minecarts a little better.  I still don't think this fort was laid out very organized, seems more like a series of experiments rather than a fort.

I guess you guys have been playing the game for so long you basically just spend your time fiddling with the engine, I still like pretending my dorfs are little dudes and building them a proper home.  I still approach DF as a game, not like the ultimate black box puzzle.  But there is no wrong way to have fun, right?  Maybe I'm a tard, I dunno, lol.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 02:05:56 am by ringringlingling »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 20, 2016, 07:45:03 am »

Start building, then get suspended....I did mention that I mass-hid and -forbid all stones and rocks there, just to make extra sure nobody will trample plants. But jeez, 7 FPS. Really suggests "this is a bad idea", I mean I'd expect that from a car.

And there already existed a butcher's shop...But I guess you were in a hurry to kill 'em all?

Granted, it may be that the industry didn't just have the QSP input (solution: declare (temporary) larger input and make it take from there - since output is Light/Above Ground, no problems) to handle multiple butchery shops (with the wheelbarrows, it is more built to move singular large beings). I built one and only one due the assignment taking animals for butchery to the west-side fortress.

And heh, this fort was the first time I built magma transport elevator as well. I only started playing DF this year.

PS: Psh. You're one to complain about organization when your first actions was to build workshops dozen times farther away from raw materials and to designate a giant stockpile :P

Did my caring of the dorfs I was building a home for not come across in updates, then? I spent hours researching dwarven personalities and explicitly spoke against being any kind of overseer possessing and completely overriding a dwarf from on high and afar.

It's feel odd to be said to be uncaring what their personalities are like with that, but I guess if it was missed, it was missed.

But enough critique; show us instead!

Show how you write a character-driven story, and build your own fortress, like it is tradition :)!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 08:59:48 am by Fleeting Frames »

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
  • WipEout - CONTENDER ELIMINATED
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 20, 2016, 01:46:49 pm »

Ringringlingling, which dorf did you pick?
The giant louse is on the loose and some loser dwarf has blood to lose.

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 22, 2016, 03:45:54 pm »

So I found this out in Legends.

The Rancerous Monsters (a fitting name), a Goblin civ, attacked Diamondjumps,a Hillock belonging to The Blockade of Brightness, a dorf civ.

A dwarf abducted by RM was struck down by a dwarf from the Blockades. What's interesting is that the Goblin-abductee

Fought somewhere inside the blue ring, but was reported to be struck down at the Frost of Cats, which is encircled by the red ring. The only explanation I can think of is that the winning dwarf kicked the Gobdorf to the tundra, and then jumped all the way there, beat him to death, and then jumped back like it was a normal day.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 22, 2016, 09:04:28 pm »

It's less weird than when they die four times in the same day and then move to another hamlet three days later.

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 24, 2016, 09:24:50 am »

It's less weird than when they die four times in the same day and then move to another hamlet three days later.

I see that as awesome, not weird.

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgame - An Absolutely Dead Succession Fort- LNP 42.06
« Reply #233 on: December 13, 2016, 01:01:01 pm »

Guys.
Ringringlingling hasn't posted in 2 and a half weeks. Hiatus or death?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 13, 2016, 03:07:21 pm »

I hardly expect them to finish even the season, yeah.

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 25, 2016, 09:03:18 am »

So he or she is saying in PM that he or she doesn't want to play.

Should I take over as permanent overseer?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 25, 2016, 09:26:45 am »

Sounds like it'd be a good thing to happen, your updates were nice to read. Only if you want to, though ^^;

The ideas for things to do I told ringlingling on last page probably works for you as well.

E: I can try doing the retire/unretire+DFHack thing to move dark fort/towers/humans/etc. closer to fortress, which should make playing it more interesting. However, the FBs wandering around should probably be killed before retiring, as they can move around - to central dining hall, for instance - upon unretire.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 05:09:14 am by Fleeting Frames »

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgame - A Community Fort With a Twist - LNP 42.06
« Reply #237 on: December 30, 2016, 04:28:08 pm »

Journal of HMetal Silverystopped, Ex-Overseer and Militia Captain of Deathgame
10 Granite, 504

One part of the new implemented system is that control of the previous overseer is slowly shifted to the new overseer. The previous overseer has advisory roles during the phase-out, and even after that, the current Overseer can seek counsel of the previous Overseer.

The problem is that our supposed-to-be new overseer is nowhere to be found. Some random guy (maybe a recent migrant) was about to take my place, but then went back to the crowd, as though nothing happened. Too bad he was in the back of it.

15 Granite, 504

Our Duchess, Litast Razorfondled, has denied my resignation.

"Why did you want to resign again, HMetal?", asked the Duchess. "I had served my term as Overseer of Deathgame of one year. I feel that my services as Overseer are no longer needed." "But they are needed. Possibly indefinitely." "Why? Sanctume could have a go, or maybe even you!" "Well, this was your fort to begin with, and your term has seen the making of 3 artifacts, barracks for the Lightning Picks, and gratuitous coinage! Your term will start this evening."

"Very well then, Duchess."

And so the benevolent autarchy begins

2 Slate, 504

Okay. I just got up to go to a striking demonstration, and since it's a long way, I might as well write this. Nothing new to report, apart from the adamantine coins being minted.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Objectives:

1. CROWNS
2. EXPORT OF CROWNS
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 05:01:59 pm by HMetal2001 »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 30, 2016, 04:58:36 pm »

mmm candy coins

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 30, 2016, 06:30:07 pm »

Yay crowns.

- Candy is rather plentiful on this map, owing due it's size. Not the most I've seen, but the most I've seen have been custom gens :P

- No thoughts about bringing near some fun things?
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17