Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: I challenge you! (Build a sturdy fort! Win prizes!)  (Read 6317 times)

bliantfive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I challenge you! (Build a sturdy fort! Win prizes!)
« on: August 16, 2016, 07:25:28 am »

The challenge is running!
check it out here: https://www.twitch.tv/dwarf247

The winner gets steam keys for these great games:
Shadowrun Returns
Shadowrun: Dragonfall Director's Cut

If you already have the games you may trade or gift them away as you please.

The challenger

The challenger is Gwolfski!
You can find the bare world and the challenge save here: http://dwarf247.com/?page_id=119

We just started the challenge.

What we got back is a highly efficient tool to beat the challenge.
Damnit! He even just used one year to do it!
In this year he build magma smelters, killed the necromancer of the tower(that walked right into the map) and broke hell just for fun!

The challenge
  • Its a rocky wasteland so -> no water
  • There is a necromancer tower right to the east of the embark site
  • He starts with 1 pick
  • There is only one deep metal, no shallow ones(its usefull though we scouted that live)
  • He starts with 12 cats
  • He starts with to many cavies
  • He starts with a copper helmet and some training weapons instead of other usefull stuff
  • At least we got him some booze, plump helmets and some more spawn for plump helmets and pig tails

Hows this gonna work?

• From all participants, we choose randomly one challenger.(19th august 2016 18:00 GMT)
  • The embarking site is presented after the challenger is chosen. There is no way to know what you're going to face.
  • The embarking save is uploaded here, so everyone can have a look at it for himself.
  • The challenger has 48 hours to play a maximum of two years of the map and prepare his fort.(not on stream, for himself, with any settings he wants and that don't break the rules) The savegame can be uploaded here too or is just sent to me.
  • The fort will be uploaded to https://www.twitch.tv/dwarf247 and will run in the typical style(1fps, 24/7)but without further direct control of the challenger.
  • If the fort survives for another two years (about 9 real days) the challenge is won and the challenger can claim his prize.
  • If the challenge is lost the competitor is left with a less awesome but still somewhat cool reward. The next competitor can then take turn to win.

What rules are there?

• You can not wall or moat yourself in. Caravans must have a Depot to get to, dwarfs must have a way out, invaders must have a way to get to each and every dwarf. Migrants must be able to reach the great hall.
  • You can have a maximum of 10 cage traps.
  • burrows are not allowed(after the first 2 years)
  • population cap is not to be set below 90, strict cap not below 100
  • The fort is dead when there is no dwarf left alive. Even children count.(this season)
  • Obviously you are not allowed to do alterations to the savegame, spawn items or change anything by means not available in the game.
  • if you made a critical mistake and want to change something you can "buy" a small change with viewer votes. Every viewer has 1 vote. There will be a poll in the forums allowing the viewers to cast votes on specific changes. The changes will take place all at once at a specific time.(most likely half way through)
  • If a challenger fails to deliver a save the next one is drawn after 48 hours.
  • These rules may change at any moment before the challenge. After the challenger is drawn there won't be any changes until he fails/wins

What version is used?

I'm trying to get 43_03 running in 24/7 style. If that fails for some reason (instability, changes in data structure that render the spotlight script useless, etc.)
we play on 42_06.

How do I register?

The registration is closed.

Registered challengers)
Waistcoats
Sanctume
Gwolfski(won the draw)
vjmdhzgr
Silverthrone
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 05:15:17 am by bliantfive »
Dwarf247 - a 24/7 Dwarf Fortress stream online!

check out this thread

Waistcoats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I challenge you! (Build a sturdy fort! Win prizes!)
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 07:33:57 am »

I volunteer to die a very slow, nine day death.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 11:31:15 am »

Interested.  I'll do v43.03.

I like tilesets, Phoebus (diagonal walls).  Other then the default dfhack tweaks, I like to have DTherapist and the thing that remembers the last material you used placed as first pick when constructing.

So let me get this straight.  I have 2 years to create a self-sufficient fortress.  And you choose the embark spot?

« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 11:37:05 am by Sanctume »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 03:27:29 pm »

im in
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 05:44:09 am »

I would, but I'm carp at df and would die immediately. I'd love to give an embark site, but I would die quickly.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Arcturus

• Bay Watcher
  • Busy Being Worshiped By Alien Pagans
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 06:54:16 am »

I would, but I'm carp at df

In that case years ago you were the most common feared aquatic creature in df. Those carps were pretty lethal tbh.

bliantfive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 07:05:39 am »

So let me get this straight.  I have 2 years to create a self-sufficient fortress.  And you choose the embark spot?

correct, then the fort runs 2 more years without you controlling it. If it does survive you win.

The tools you mentioned are ok, you can play with whatever help you need that does only provide you with ui enhancements without directly altering the world(other than giving commands to dwarfs).
To clarify that: you play these two years by yourself. I'll check the logs afterwards, but I don't care whatever tilesets you use. I don't even care if you follow the in-game rules (like 10 cage traps) in those two years. All that matters is that the savegame you provide is fitting.
I have no means to let you play the 2 years on stream in a controlled way.(yet) I just trust you with that.

I would, but I'm carp at df and would die immediately. I'd love to give an embark site, but I would die quickly.

Don't worry. I'll upload the embark site here so you can just try the challenge for yourself if you want.
You could even prepare yourself because the save won't change until someone has made it.
And btw. I have no problem with "not as good" players taking on the challenge. If you can make a fort run for 2 years without everyone starving you are ready to try. That's basically my skill level. :D
If your dwarfs die the next one takes a turn and you get some small prize for trying. You can only win. ;)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 07:31:44 am by bliantfive »

check out this thread

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 08:26:33 am »

I suggest a post of the embark site around Friday (evening) and it would give working stiff time to sleep (or not sleep) to play throughout Saturday, and have a due date either 12 AM Sunday, or 6 AM Sunday?  Not quite 24 hours, but have some +hours for sleep (for those who need sleep, haha).

bliantfive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 09:32:37 am »

I suggest a post of the embark site around Friday (evening) and it would give working stiff time to sleep (or not sleep) to play throughout Saturday, and have a due date either 12 AM Sunday, or 6 AM Sunday?  Not quite 24 hours, but have some +hours for sleep (for those who need sleep, haha).

That's the plan: at Friday 18:00 gmt the challenger is chosen. The embark site is presented on stream and uploaded.
All the challenger needs to do is take the save, play it 2 years and give it back to me within 24hours. :D

That should (roughly) take 1-2 hours i guess. depending on how much planning you do. There should be plenty time to sleep. (Since i was asked before: no this doesn't mean you need to play at 1 FPS or 24hours or something. Take the save. Follow the rules. Play two ingame years however you want. Give a save back to me within 24 hours.)

check out this thread

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 10:37:09 am »

I'd like to participate, but I will be unable to until Sunday. I can't tell if that's okay based off of the rules.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

bliantfive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 11:42:18 am »

I'd like to participate, but I will be unable to until Sunday. I can't tell if that's okay based off of the rules.

You are in.
That's no problem.

check out this thread

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 01:21:36 pm »

So have you tested if your scripts work on 43.03? 

42.06 is ok with me also.

bliantfive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 04:17:49 pm »

So have you tested if your scripts work on 43.03? 

42.06 is ok with me also.

The newest versions weren't really reliable on my machines so far, the test run is tomorrow. If it runs for 8 hours it should run stable.

Anyway, don't worry about that to much. I'm using the standard issue windows starter packs for the stream so it is either 42.06 or the 43.03 starter pack and if you use the one mentioned at the download of the save you shouldn't have any problems. I'll even link to the one that'll be used for running the savegame on the stream.

check out this thread

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2016, 08:30:32 pm »

I'm in. I kill the dwarves and make a fool of myself, but it's worth a go.

The pop cap limit will be set in the file provided, I take it?

bliantfive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2016, 01:27:43 am »

I'm in. I kill the dwarves and make a fool of myself, but it's worth a go.

The pop cap limit will be set in the file provided, I take it?

The pop cap is set in the init files as far as i know. So no, it isn't set in the saves.
If you manage to reach it within 2 years that's ok, you don't need to set a limit, just when you do it shouldn't be below the mentioned.

After 2 years you are normally around 60-70 dwarfs.

Also changed the rules to 48 hours of time for the challenger to deliver the 2 year save. Don't want to put pressure on people.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 02:15:52 am by bliantfive »

check out this thread
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5