Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Snarlpaints: The Murky Mountain - Community Fortress {Finished}  (Read 1419 times)

SneakyProgrammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Snarlpaints: The Murky Mountain - Community Fortress {Dorfings Available}
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2016, 09:55:42 pm »

I decided to take a little break from DF. However, I think from now on I’ll update at least once a week, unless extreme circumstances come up. Anyway, I decided to get the dfhack alpha for 43.05 and it’s been working out quite well. Dwarf Manipulator’s been helping out somewhat, but unfortunately dfhack throws an error if I try to get deathcause on Erib. A big thanks to Fleeting Frames for the suggestion!

Zan’s Journal

Things are starting to change around here. While drafting dwarves to their jobs a migrant fellow, Ryukan, wished to take over duties as
bookkeeper. I was starting to get good at it, but it’s time for me to focus on my other duties.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I’m not sure how long ago they got here, but I talked to two of our stoneworking dwarves today and they seemed like interesting individuals. Quinn Learner and another Reyn are their names. Both of them are some of the dwarves that handle mining, stone detailing, and masonry. Reyn is quite the joker.

We are slowly returning to business as usual.

SneakyProgrammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2016, 09:53:28 pm »

Zan’s Journal

Things are calming down once again so I decided it was time to start a project I was planning for a while. I tell the miners to start carving out a hallway behind the kitchen and cistern.

However, they encounter damp stone and stop mining. If we keep mining, we’ll breach the canal. No one will really be in danger from this, but I’m not very excited to lose our water source, even though I prefer dwarven rum.

Tunneling under the damp stone is our most appealing option.

In other news, these ghosts are starting to irritate me. You see, we can’t bring the bodies to the coffins because they will certainly reanimate. The fates decided to spit on us once more, since the corpses are often in multiple pieces, and I know that each individual piece of dwarf will reanimate if the piece in question is sufficiently dead, even if it’s the skin or hair. Memorial slabs will appease the spirits, letting us use their past bodies in our most recent construction project. For now, there is work to be done, but we are close to finishing each part of the project, even the cellar.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2016, 02:25:29 pm »

Shame deathcause failed.

Hmm....Depot hallway to the kitche? Trading?

Damp stone is annoying.

Why did you build your coffins in reanimating region? *confused*

SneakyProgrammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Snarlpaints: The Murky Mountain - Community Fortress {Finished}
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2016, 03:53:04 pm »

During Obsidian of the Year 63, Snarlpaints was descending into dire circumstances. A large pack of undead chinchillas passed through and ambushed dwarves repeatedly, claiming Zan and many other dwarves. Some chinchillas were defeated but at the end of the slaughter, Snarlpaints was almost deserted. There was no hope at all for the remaining dwarves. Ready to tell the Council of the colony's failure, they told the human poets that populated the dining hall to pack up their things. Snarlpaints was finally abandoned. The mountain was hollow and deserted. The curse of the stone once again kept invaders from its shiny hoard.

Author's note: This was my first community fortress, and while it didn't last long, I had a lot of fun writing it. I got a lot more than I bargained for when I embarked in a reanimating biome. In fact, the reason that the fortress lasted so long was mostly because only half of the map reanimated corpses. It was still inevitable.
Thanks for taking the time to read this story.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Snarlpaints: The Murky Mountain - Community Fortress {Finished}
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2016, 08:29:51 pm »

Thanks for writing the story. They're pretty time-consuming to do.

And yeah, partially-reanimating embarks are lot easier since you have a safe spot.
Pages: 1 [2]