Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: curses_vector - ∞x∞  (Read 63457 times)

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: curses_vector - ∞x∞
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2016, 02:13:50 pm »

Antialiasing can be removed with Inkscape's pixellize filter, but then I'd just have the default tileset. :P

Any glyphs in particular that look bad? I can minimize antialiasing by aligning things on pixel boundaries whenever possible.

I notice it most on Q, 157, 171, 172, 252 and 253. Of course, I'm also a perfectionist about tilesets. 171 in particular is noticeably blurred in your higher resolution versions, but at least vanilla doesn't use it for anything.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2016, 05:15:53 pm »

Just wanted to say that its cool seeing you back making DF content. :)

Do you know this site, http://game-icons.net/ ?

I think it would be perfect for your idea of vector based tilesets.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2016, 07:05:25 pm »

@Taffer
Thanks for pointing these out. I redesigned the Q and fixed some alignment issues on 171, 172 and 252. If a glyph is offset even 0.1 pixels off the grid, it can cause some blurring issues in the rasterization. I can't make 157 or 253 any sharper without compromising how they look at higher resolutions.

@Meph
Hey, Meph! Yeah, I felt completely burnt out after making GemSet but I'm slowly getting back into the swing of things. I have something pretty big in the works but that's going to be on the down-low for now. Until then, think of this as a warmup project. ;)

I've heard of game-icons and I think it's a great resource. But if I expand curses_vector into a graphics set, I'll be making my own 8x12 images. My design philosophy behind this tileset is "What if Dwarf Fortress had a default graphics set?" Therefore, I'll be making everything as ASCII-like as possible. Sort of a Brogue/Caves of Qud aesthetic.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 07:09:47 pm by DragonDePlatino »

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2016, 08:12:57 pm »

Progress has been coming along smoothly. I haven't vectorized any sprites yet (aside from the above test) but I have quite a few pixel-y sprites done. As is customary with my projects, have a mockup!

Everything uses ASCII restrictions meaning two colors, 8x12 tiles. I'm planning on doing an 8x12 release for testing, then slowly vectorizing everything. These sprites are very easy to create so lots of mod support is a distant possibility.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2016, 11:47:22 pm »

Neat style, and I noticed the Biolumin set creator using vector methods now, you're leaking out into the world!

raeborga

• Bay Watcher
  • [STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2016, 12:27:26 am »

I want DF to look like that screenshot mockup.
Reminds me of the Retro Days tileset from Cataclysm DDA.
Or the Ultimate Roguelike Tileset by Oryx...

The different sized blocks in the walls/dirt kinda throw me a bit though.
Makes you see 2 different pixel sizes, or something.

Excellent work so far.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 12:41:22 am by raeborga »

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2016, 06:44:57 am »

Your creature graphics are great.
Also, reminder that there are standardized text files for creature graphics so you don't have to write all the graphic text files yourself.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2016, 04:44:01 pm »

@Max™
Thanks. Also, it's cool to hear about other vector tilesets. I'll have to keep an eye on this one.

@raegorga
Heh, you're right! This tileset feels like a cross between Retro Days and Oryx's tileset. I'll look into fixing the dirt/stone. Both were rather hastily thrown together since I needed them for the mockup.

@CLA
Thank you. I plan on making my own text files, though. I don't like any of the current standards (GemSet included) so I'll be starting fresh for this set. However, I've become fairly competent at Python and regex since GemSet so I'll be able to automate the process. It'll also make updating a cinch!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 04:45:45 pm by DragonDePlatino »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2016, 06:13:17 am »

I dig how effective the little 8x12 format figures are at conveying the races, blocky little dorf, taller humans, big ear gobs, smaller ear elf, and a cutebolt+ostrich person I think?

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2016, 01:05:42 pm »

Very nice work.  The only problem I see with it is that glyph 237 (second to last row, third from the right) is incorrect.  It is supposed to be the glyph for lower case Phi (while 232 is the uppercase version, used for large pots).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2016, 01:15:30 pm »

According to the Wikipedia article you linked, it looks like he used the correct glyph for Greek Small Letter Phi. Use Ctrl-F for "GREEK SMALL LETTER PHI" (without the quotes) to see the relevant section. Also, this is the same style of small Phi used in the Curses tileset included with Dwarf Fortress.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2016, 11:25:14 pm »

Browsers render it differently: φ is the "loopy" one on my end, ϕ is the "straight" one from the symbol unicode version U+03D5 and the style used in the curses set plus the CP437 set it is based on.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2016, 04:19:11 pm »

That must be the difference then, as the 'loopy' one is what I expect to see.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2016, 06:53:15 pm »

I'm still kinda angry at our Platino Dragon over how effortlessly better looking this is than the sets I hacked away at in GIMP, btw. How are the little figure dudes coming along?

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2016, 11:56:08 am »

Sorry, I haven't made much progress on this graphics set. Between studying for finals, making my first game and the promised GemSet update, I haven't found the time to work on this.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9