Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round 25 - Game over, Recaps start at page 28  (Read 33297 times)

bannou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 25 - Clash of Gods
« Reply #405 on: April 20, 2017, 06:30:29 am »

Not to sound like a broken record or anything - I got my reminder but I havent actually received my turn file yet :(
Maybe later in the day when i should be receiving the next turn for another game....

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: April 20, 2017, 07:56:16 am »

Have you emailed llamabeast yet? Other than that I don't think there's much we can do as admins that can help other than maybe reassigning your nation to a third party and assigning it back to see if this fixes things.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: April 20, 2017, 09:22:53 am »

Try resending the turn file.

sum1won

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: April 21, 2017, 12:52:40 pm »

Not to sound like a broken record or anything - I got my reminder but I havent actually received my turn file yet :(
Maybe later in the day when i should be receiving the next turn for another game....
I've seen this several times, and even had it happen to me.  It likely was detected as spam.  Set llamaserver as a trusted contact.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: April 23, 2017, 02:35:06 pm »

I added 15 hours, hopefully Atlantis and T'chi can grab there turns on monday : )

Edit: C'tis rickrolled me during the last battle, well played ...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 04:00:43 am by ThtblovesDF »

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: April 24, 2017, 04:12:31 am »

:)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: April 25, 2017, 12:47:12 am »

Congrats ThtblovesDF!
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: April 25, 2017, 03:13:51 am »

Thank you - Ulm won this turn by claming both the Throne of Earth and the Throne of Elements this turn, as some of you already saw coming:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Just before killing C'tis (did I really win since he rickrolled me?) I offically decleared war on Nazca and started to move in a turn later.
Many of you saw it coming, but I assume thought that someone else would deal with the issue? Nazca went for the less defended areas instead of the throne, Agartha and T'chi where still doing the strangest stand-still. And you where all so close to crushing me, but I guess assumed someone else would do the work? Let me know : )

Atlantis vs The Throne of Abundance

Nazca (roughly 1.500 Flyers?) vs Throne of Elements

Nazca vs Throne of Air (under siege)

The Lower Throne

The Throne of Earth vs Agartha // T'ien ch'i

Other Notes:

I did everything wrong basically, It took me well into turn 36 until I got a dwarven Hammer to make Feathers with.

Getting beat down by Pangea took my off everyones radar, which turned out to be essential later on.

I am a good ally to have for 98% of the time and everyone had plenty of other problems to deal with, which gave me the freedom to do all-in operations.

Where are all your mages? Its late game, even I finished some a research path, so they where out there fighting whenever possible.

This Site might have won me the game - I soon moved most of my natural e3 mages on it and started casting living statues.

Even with all provinces searched with Fire 1-2 I never got a single solid fire-gem income, besides the Throne of Elements. It was annoying.

Blade wind is just better then most fire+earth spells or Iron Blizzard, its silly.

Good Game

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: April 25, 2017, 03:35:52 am »

I realized what was happening while you were sieging the lower throne, and sent my army, but they were coming from too far away and didn't reach it in time. Of course, we probably wouldn't have won the battle even if we'd arrived while you were still sieging. Our research, items, and mage capabilities were far more limited than yours.

Aside: C'Tis sent me all their stuff while you were sieging them and suggested I attack Oceania, so I'm assuming they didn't realize that you were about to win.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: April 25, 2017, 03:37:44 am »

Yeah this game was fun, but obviously didn't go well at all for me. Partly because of my own ineptitude, partly because accursed Men defiling our forests, mostly because of all nations to get sandwiched between a mountain with, it was Ulm. :P

And then of course Nazca decided to barge in on the honorable dual between Men and the forces of nature. :P

I could have gotten away with it too, if I wasn't so scroogey with the gold and went for full Dryad complement at the capital. That initial Nazca assault would've likely exploded in their faces if I had more than the one dryad sitting in there, because they had nowhere to rout to.
Also a good chunk of my forces were stranded in a province with no non-seasonal passages. So great timing on that one, chaoticag. :)

Later as Atlantis, as everyone probably guessed, there was never much conflict with Ulm as I didn't have any illusions as to whether I'd lose, and I had every intention of helping Ulm win, for flavor reasons. Too bad he never got the chance to deliver the dagger, but oh well. :P

I was fairly inactive in the latter turns because there was basically nothing to do for me. I was building up some manner of force to go tickle Nazca, but had no means to actually get there without bashing down the gates of Ulm's fort in the bay to the north, and I guess he had reason to keep it occupied because we'd agreed he'd let me through but he always had his pretender sitting in there (according to my scout). So after momentarily taking a swing at C'Tis I just sat on what I had, tossed out the occasional batch of wolven winters, and built up an army of claymen.

Fairly typical game for me, overall. :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: April 25, 2017, 04:20:19 am »

Aside: C'Tis sent me all their stuff while you were sieging them and suggested I attack Oceania, so I'm assuming they didn't realize that you were about to win.
I did, and mentioned as such in the thread, but then everybody seemed resigned to it.

This was a really nice game for me. My early expansion was the worst I have done so far (I think I averaged a province every 2 turns), and I missed out on a very important bottleneck. And then Atlantis and Agartha smelled my weakness and attacked. Fortunately, they waited long enough for me to get foul vapors researched, so even in a two front war in which they both had superior forces I managed to hold out long enough for Tien to attack Agartha and Ulm to attack Atlantis and came out of that war gaining provinces. Then everything changed when the fire nation Ulm attacked. I knew I was going to be destroyed immediately, and that it was just a matter of causing as much pain as possible in the process, but I didn't have a good counter to the living statues. I still managed to win a battle, which set Ulm back a whole two turns, but yeah. The siege of C'tis was amusing, I was desperately trying to research mass enslave before you assaulted, and then you went in one turn before I got it. Somehow I managed to lose everything except my pretender (the only thing I had capable of casting it) in the first assault, so I got the last turn of research needed for it. And then it worked once, which was nice, but it looked like too much stuff passed to the save on the second assualt, and then I died. If I'd kept any of my astral mages alive through the first assualt that could have gone differently, maybe with multiple casts per battle, but I thought the assault would be way more overwhelming (considering I hardly had any normal troops there) so I didn't bother updating orders. In hindsight that was a mistake, and I probably would have been able to keep more stuff (like astral mages) alive had I done it, but oh well. Probably wouldn't have changed the actual outcome, C'tis wasn't where the throne was, and I had already pulled everything from the throne province to try to stop them from getting there in the first place. Perhaps I should have moved everything to the throne, and tried to hold that as long as possible for people to do something about Ulm's other thrones, but the feeling in the thread was one of wanting the game to end so I didn't care that much.

Those iron spikes also had a habit of sniping my mages, which was fairly annoying (managed to snipe an air mage in the first fort before they got their stuff off too, meaning the fight wasn't).

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 25 - Game over, Recaps start at page 28
« Reply #416 on: April 25, 2017, 04:56:30 am »

Those iron spikes also had a habit of sniping my mages, which was fairly annoying (managed to snipe an air mage in the first fort before they got their stuff off too, meaning the fight wasn't).
I think those were the Bows of War set to Fire Rear. :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: April 25, 2017, 05:11:44 am »

Maybe, but I definitely noticed the spikes also going a long way back.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: April 25, 2017, 05:19:43 am »

Excellent work Thtbloves! I more or less swore that Chaoticag had this in the bag! (I apologize again for my sudden disappearance halfway through the match...)

Now for my recap, forgot a bunch so some holes likely abound: Titanaconda was mostly to nab a bunch of land quickly so I could set up a bunch of temples to spam indie priests who subsequently spammed longdead. And give minor earth bless for my mages. But I just got SO MANY DARN NATURE GEMS! That I empowered him to N1. Then he died. Immediately re-empower to N1 again after resurrection, followed by N2 empowerment. Considered going further. Transmuted around 100 nature gems to death later on because RNGesus thought I didn't need those.

Militarily, I thought my early war against Pythium would go better, I expected banishment spam, and I prepared for it with Antimagic. Not a perfect solution, but it would grant my undead troops enough durability to matter. Needless to say I was Thunderstruck by what he had in store, and while his master heavy communions wreaked havoc on his slave (He typically burnt out the entire slave contingent each battle...), the upfront firepower decimated my forces.
I would've still overwhelmed with numbers had Tien Chi not attacked, against both of their armies I could only force a stalemate (Not a lot of major pushing one way or another... For so darn long...). And then Nazca attacked me and I used that to more or less force a peace treaty with Tien Chi (Never did reclaim the Throne of Air...)

And Chaoticag knows how little ground was gained and lost over the long term in our engagement (Spoiler: Very, Very Little.)
And it turns out the counter to skeleton hordes is the same as the counter to communions: Rain of Stones... More or less rendered me unable to attack it did... And I could never get enough mound kings together to try that 'advance army' tactic I theorized about...

All in all? Before my internet decided that no, I don't get to participate anymore (Still sorry :(), I probably produced around 4 to 5 hundred longdead per turn. (I never did count, just guesstimated from how long it took for the graph to recover after losing 2k undead in a single fight.) It could've been much more, but I was already having logistic issues with that many so... (And I wanted my Thaumaturgs researching/fighting, not reanimating ;)) If only RNGesus wasn't so stingy with the Death gems it might have been better. If only I rushed Darkness instead of Antimagic (all your guys get -6 attack/defense and my skeletons get +4 attack from Power of the Sepulchre? Likely would have made a huge difference in the fight vs Tien Chi. Especially as it turns out no one tried banish spam against the horde...)

So in conclusion, I was basically at war the entire game with almost no territory gains or losses. I'm still absolutely confused as to how. More importantly, I try a nation I've only seriously played once before and do somewhat ok with it while hopefully somewhat breaking my Crippling Overspecialization with this game. (PS, It's Agartha I'm utterly confident with.)

(Also PS to Thtbloves: Warriors of Muspelheim grants Cold resist, it wouldn't help you in a fight against Agartha unless they spammed Shard Wights. Fire Fend or Warriors of Niefelheim or Army of Gold grant the army wide Fire resist you would want against that many Magma Children. (Cost efficient little summons aren't they Shadowlord? Also why am I not seeing Sentinels or Mercuries in that screenshot? Spam more Mercuries next time, they're absolutely great when Ironskinned!))

Anyway, internet has been behaving since then, so I might be up for another game if one starts again soon. I highly doubt I'll have to drop out again too.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: April 25, 2017, 05:58:05 am »

There were a bunch of sentinels, you just can't see them in the screenshot - No mercuries, though. I used my water gems on olm conclaves instead. For one thing, it gives a bunch of mindblasters, and the olm sage can fire rear. For another, the olm sage can lead far more magic troops, meaning magma children and sentinels, than anyone else Agartha can get.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29