Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crazy import from elves...  (Read 3929 times)

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
Crazy import from elves...
« on: May 08, 2017, 06:13:42 pm »

So the elven merchants showed up with this an instrument worth over 24000 dwarf bucks.

I've seen large roasts and highly decorated wineskins.

But I've never seen a merchant show up with any thing that valuable before.  Unfortunately it's pretty early in this fortress's history.

Should I steel it?  Bonus factor, my civ is dying out... population of 18, and just appointed a king...

So an elven war would possibly wipe us from the planet.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 08:16:26 pm by Porpoisepower »
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy import from elves...
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 06:22:40 pm »

Always steal things.

But yeah, the elves tend to have strange instruments that are made of either Divine materials or Forgotten Beast materials. Or both! I had this one worth 39k dwarf bucks recently, so yeah, it happens. Whenever they have something THAT expensive, it'll be made of something special.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 06:40:07 pm »

If you can afford it, buy it. The elves will bring more to trade in the future and this could lead to a breeding pair of war tigers.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 08:14:44 pm »

If you can afford it, buy it. The elves will bring more to trade in the future and this could lead to a breeding pair of war tigers.

Not even close :(
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 09:13:37 pm »

Not even close :( 

Let alone war wombats of dooooom. I've had them bring me breeding pairs of lions, or tigers, or bears.
REMEMBER TUNNEL 17!!!

Honestly, make some prepared meals and glass serrated discs in a hurry, and buy it from them. You won't regret it.

I once had the elves bring me a whole stack of stuff made from forgotten beast silk. Those were elves who had had a serious adventure, getting there.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

knedl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 03:17:13 am »

I bought a blazing cloth pevo from Elves for 39030 bucks. The highest number in prices I saw was 86k but I can't remember what it was.

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 08:12:15 am »

They came back with something made out of liquid darkness 39K, which I could almost afford but not quite.

My fort only has a population of 12, one of whom is a Queen(acting King).  We were at 15 but a were chameleon Just killed 3 and wounded 4 more.  I haven't gotten any immigrants in 2 maybe 3 years. And I'm so loaded with flux that I've had strip-mine 3-4 Z layers below my workshops just to get non-economic stone.

xtw136

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 08:48:24 am »

I think elves in dwarf fortress are too weak I remember elves in other fantasy fictions are good at forge metal tools

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 01:42:30 pm »

I think elves in dwarf fortress are too weak I remember elves in other fantasy fictions are good at forge metal tools
Please list at least 10 fantasy settings that include elves, dwarfs, and humans, and rate them each against each other (E to D, E to H, and D to H) for their military, culture, and whatever other comparable values you like.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 01:53:11 pm »

Elves from DF are ...surprizingly original while being influenced by old mythos rather than by tolkien. They are spirits of the forest, more or less. Definitely not warcraft/tolkien/warhammer elves.
Also most fantasy universe depict elves as taller, of equal size or just a little bit smaller humans. In DF elves are dwarf sized.

But if you think they are weak, wait until you get a siege of 600+ elves with their army of carnivorous pets. Elves don't grow old, so their population increase much quicker than anyone else, and can lay down massive sieges. Also their bowlords are machines of destruction

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2017, 09:08:44 am »

We were at 15 but a were chameleon Just killed 3 and wounded 4 more. 

I hope you keep a close eye on those wounded ones.

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2017, 02:34:57 pm »

I hope you keep a close eye on those wounded ones.

I will... Also I haven't gotten any soap yet. Been too busy trying to pacify the queen. so far all she wants are bucklers, thrones, and scepters, so she's not to bad.  She's also my best Mason(and still working).  And with as low as my population is I'm not inclined to have meet an early retirement.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2017, 05:37:23 pm »

Soap is important. Get it!! Just two bars is enough to start with, but 5 is better. The demands of the queen are not as important as keeping some dwarf from dying from gangrene.