Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 110

Author Topic: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 229765 times)

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls (DF 0.47.05)
« on: April 27, 2017, 06:35:09 pm »

Hey all !

So, I've been playing in my little world by myself, finding wonder in the legends and amusing myself with writing and drawing the history of a human country, and I was thinking – why wouldn't I share it with you ? Maybe you'll be interested ? Especially since I'm starting a fortress very soon.

So, TL;DR what I want to do is to make some story heavy fortress. There'll be a lot of writing, a lot of drawing, and I hope a focus on character development through the hardships of fortress making. I have no doubt this will be!!fun !! but I'll try my best to survive.

Modwise I'm playing with a slightly modded game, to make humans playable. Else it's vanilla. It may be a bit slow, as pictures take time to make, but that will also leave some time to focus on the characters with a bit of scruteny.

The idea is to make successive little fortresses, alternating with adventure mode at times (which I will not bother you with) in order to follow the story and the development of the country through the eyes of many people.

So, without further adue, welcome in the world of Minbazkar, and more specifically in the kingdom of

Overview of the world of Minbazkar - Age of Myths

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Overview of Mong Kima, the Nation of Pearls

Mastering the forces of nature

(Background information)

The Riverguard

Page 1-61

The Crossroad

Page 67-70

The universal dream

Pages 71-77

The bridge over the sea

Pages 77-89

Diplomacy

Pages 90-94

That's where we're at, right now.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 02:22:32 pm by Cathar »

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 06:50:19 pm »

that map graphic is freaking beautiful!  how did you make it?

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 06:52:18 pm »

Oh, that's just simple DFhack legend export plus some five minutes on photoshop; it's hard for me to take praise in it as DFHack did 85% of the job ^^'

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 06:56:29 pm »

nice map, it makes me want to make my own. I'll be watching this story for sure :]

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 07:31:13 pm »

my legend viewer maps look like pixel vomit.  Is the world just really freaking big?  TEACH ME YOUR MAGIC!

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 07:44:12 pm »

Launch Dwarf Fortress, go to legend, switch to DFHack windows, and type exportlegends all
Easy peasy lemon squeezy
Then you'll have to wait because it's very very long. But in the end you have a lovely map, especially if you don't do what I do and put ugly colors on it

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 07:53:32 pm »

Seems interesting. I'll keep my eye on this.
I like Valken.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2017, 02:13:42 pm »

My Dear Queen Usu Rakedowl

I hope this letter – the first and hopefully not the last – will find you in good health. It is a trimestrial report of our activities, and if you find it short, it is mostly because our installation has been mostly uneventful.

I should start with the bad news. Thakom, our party leader, has been missing for a whole season. She disapeared one day, never to come back. I hope she is still alive but I wouldn't count on it. Since her disapearance, the expedition is on its guard ; no doubt dangerous animals are roaming in the area.

For now, no sign of elves nor goblins. We've been unoticed so far and I hope this will continue until we're able to completely wall off.

As soon as we reached our destination, Valken installed a temporary workshop on the very ground and started to work his wood magic on the logs we bringed to him. The boy is definitely very skilled and thanks to him, the construction could start fast. We had a place to sleep dry and clean before the end of the winter, however there was still a lot of work to do, and I suspect the team to start to grow tired.

Temporary farm plots were also settled, so we wouldn't starve. For now our food supply is rather low, but we're producing more than we're consuming. Let's hope it stays that way.

During spring, we did our best to expend the compound as much as we could. Our current objective is to be, like our comrades of Brokenbronze, to be able to wall off completely by the winter. Our food and water supply has to be permanent and available from between our walls, so we can repel small invasions even with reduced manpower.

To this effect, we build more stories to the compound, and settled what Xetan called « experimental farming. What he asked us to do was to put water on an elevated platform, promizing that the crops would soon be growing on it.

While I was suspiscious at first, it looks like the experiment is yielding success. Two farm plots has been installed – over the ground, on a wooder bridge. This is certainly a first in the history of Mong Kima, and possibly in the world. We'd like to call this design « Usu's hanging garden » in the honour of Our Queen. We are currently evaluating the possibility of starting a wood production on this kind of garden. They would be totally off the ground, and would allow us to expend the compound without even have to leave it.

I believe it is all I can say for now about our progress.

For this summer our objectives are as follow :

-Install every needed workshop inside the main compound. Possibly start a production of glass.
-Wall off completely, additional protections will be left for later.
-Start to build accomodation for easier living, as a common room, individual rooms and a real granary.

When those objectives are complete, we will start to work on our trades to import metal and start a weapon production.

We will hold this place against the elves.

For the crown !
-Pathril Omaaloc

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 08:36:33 pm »

I like the art! Nice job, I will continue to follow the story.

Feel pity for Thakom.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 07:38:48 am »

You have total support. Will you accept dorfings? If so, dorf me in please.

Also, can I add to the narrative? I'm a story teller at heart and I love to add my own mayhem- er, "perspective" on in game events
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 11:38:48 am »

You have total support. Will you accept dorfings? If so, dorf me in please.

Also, can I add to the narrative? I'm a story teller at heart and I love to add my own mayhem- er, "perspective" on in game events

Not only I accept, but I also fully endorse and encourage it ! The more the merrier !
I'll just ask two things ; if you can name your character with a name fitting to the universe (else it's not a big deal but Im somewhat an "authenticity nazi" if that make sense?) and you'll have to choose a character. Among the characters readily available, Lomam (poet minded young man, thinks very highly of himself), Xetan (farmer woman, man faced and built like hulk) are the best candidates. Pathril is kinda my protagonist, Thakom is dead, and Idla the herbalist is...on his way to be developped, tho he might be a good candidate if you don't mind a relationship with another dude. Another solution would be to wait until the next update (on the works  !) which will bring a new migrant wave

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2017, 12:08:28 pm »

If you get a scribe, I'd like him to get dorfed humaned (?) as Saren Settren, a devoted archivist with too many ideas and not enough common sense - and occasionally, far too much extra time on his hands.
Think "ethical mad scientist".
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2017, 03:06:21 pm »

PTW
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2017, 05:05:15 pm »

Give me Loman, dorf me as Ryukan if you can
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2017, 04:19:45 pm »

Ser Pathril Omaalok

I received your last letter – good news at last. Hazelslide is still peaceful, but such cannot be said of the Nation. Lately, I received the new that eastern elves from the Climatic  Nut bypassed Watershield and went straight on Hairyoracle. Lady Luki Usupim stopped their forces in the Ecru Steppes, but they might be back soon.

Allow me to insist on the importance of your mission. While Hairyoracle holds a number of seasonned mercenaries, it remains a city unfit to defend itself against a full on siege. Your orders are more important than ever – become fight capable and stop the entry of the eastern elves into our territory as soon as possible !

Queen Usu Rakedowl, from Hazelslide

Ser Pathril

I write to you in great anger – but fear not for my anger is not directed toward you. Our town of Brokenbronze has been attacked by the western elves of the Poetic Sea. The bastards send one of their marksmen, and had him shoot people at random ! The man – for it was a human  - retreated in the Jungle of Leaders, but my men tracked him down and put him to rest.

Elves are familiar with this kind of harassing tactics, and I believe you should do whatever is in your power to prepare against them.

The secens of war are beating as we prepare to fight, but at no cost I want to forget our eastern brothers. Knowing we are not fighting alone brings hope to us all. Hence, as we have more troops than we need, I am sending one of my best student toward you. She is very young, but already an axe-master. She will train your own men into a professional fighting force.

The people of Brokenbronze are with you in heart.
Commander Stipoth Buttervalley, from Brokenbronze

Looks like I catched the fancy of Idla. I am not sure how I feel about that – I saw him as a friend so far... But it's not like I don't have many other things to ponder about. I'll leave that to rest for now.

Spring 131 came to an end. Apparently the eastern elves haven't noticed our presence yet. This will happen eventually, but we're almost ready to give them a warm welcome. The keep is almost closed. And when it is, it will be time to drill the population into taking refuge in it in case of siege. The keep is totally self suffiscient and can withold enemies for years – slits has been made so archers can take their defensive positions. All we need is a last story, and some walls in east side which are still in the open. The hanging gardens too need to be enclosed, but this is a matter of finishing touches.

We have been working on the keep of Watershield so hard we took some serious delay on our other crafts. Fishing and hunting has been totally abandonned, as well as crafting export goods – so when merchants from the homeland came, we had to send them on their way. Next year, however, we will be ready.

Talking about the hanging gardens, we are now reaping the fruit of our labor. Rope reed of excellent quality, aswell as some other various plants, we can mill and cook.  Water can be extracted thanks to a mechanism directly from the river, and we're hoping to brew our own mead very soon. Setting a cloth and a brewing industry may be our goals to be reached before next year.

It has to be noted the forest we had to cut down almost completely to have wood for our construction is already growing back. Sapplings – the ground is littered with them. I have no doubt we settled on some sort of sacred ground. The faura is amazing – as soon  as we cut it down, it regrows. It remains to be determined if it is some kind of elvish curse, or if this magic comes from the land itself.

During mid-summer, we received the prodigy Commender Stipoth wrote to us about. She is indeed very young, but never of my whole life have I seen more professional soldier. She came not alone, as we have now a lot of new people with us. Among them ;

Usquur, the axe-lady in question, alongside her husband, Thrathnu Blazzedscarred and their three children ;  Birod, Ilpi and Lum.

Omli Garnishedjested, Mason.
Cikul Guardedswamp, lumberjack, his wife  Hustra and their children, Donu and Duslud.

They gathered around the old chariot for a while, before we gave them some work to do. For now, we still live in spartan conditions, sleeping without individual homes and eating on-the-go. But as population expend, we will need to work on houses for those families.

As it was advised by the Commander Stipoth, I asked Usquur to start training people from Watershield – for now we only have tools as weapons, but it's better than nothing.

I hope the situation will improve soon, but I have my hopes very high.

Give me Loman, dorf me as Ryukan if you can

It shall be done !
Also, feel free to write and draw whatever you want, again the more the merrier :3
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 04:49:52 pm by Cathar »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 110