Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Mechanical Solstice Chronicle of 1x1 on crossroads  (Read 35830 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Mechanical Solstice Chronicle of 1x1 on crossroads
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2020, 11:14:31 pm »

Decided to kick of another round. Along the way, I had noticed that there's bug with keeping claims on forbidden military equips, and made a script to fix it. The results are...substantial.

- - - - - - - - -

Here are the enemies at the start of summer.

⁎drawbridge accident⁎

...Here are the enemies at the start of summer! Again!

||

Split somehow.

||

Uh-oh.

The goblin swordsman stabs the macedwarf in the right foot with his ({steel short sword}) and the severed part sails of in an arc!
"I need more. It's frustrating." - Aban Riderdiamond, Macedwarf

No, no, you go back under hatch to hospital...he's not listening.

||
A lovely shot of milcom Fikod - and that I need to refix bolts.

-/-/-

||

Well, that was pretty harmless, only lost a leg.

Medical treatment proceeds smoothly, only interrupted by "Store Owned Item"

||

...Wait, what?

||

From distant memory, I recall: interrupted eating counts the eaten item as owned by the dwarf. Well, now I have (inconvenient) proof.

Also have proof that is not the lowest priority job, as storing gets interrupted by that.

- - - - - - - - -

||

About time! Not sure what weapons I'll attach to it yet tbh, but it'll sure come in handy.

Glistenobeyed the Noiseless Rack shall be a key piece in doing safe, compact and quick necrobaconry, though they really ought to have swapped names with Noblehand, being that that was an actual ...armor stand. Hm.

||

Hm, didn't know that could be depicted on an artifact - in any case, incredibly appropriate for something meant to slay undead.

- - - - - - - - -

||

A Guild Representive? Nice, but then...   I guess I have one from different civ?

No Papyrus seeds though - expected but unfortunate - but do have some muck root and rat weed seeds.

Also, I don't understand my leader sometimes:

||

"Conduct Meeting" - while running away from the Representive? It's a dead end now, though, as they caught up.

As for trade, I query up a gold kán & white opal decorated furniture. That should be multiple times more than needed to buy the caravan....In fact, the  caravan is kind of cheap, on account of all the rocks - I need more wagons!

Rocks...wood...desired foods and gems....It's been a while since I bought out an entire caravan, but I think I'll take all but the bin giant wolf leather came in. And give something extra on top. The gems alone will let me almost finish the magmagenerator encasing!

||

Thankfully, the ordering of hundredish things for next year can be done in seconds - not only do I have a macro from last year, I also have a new script for ordering preferred foods - surely wouldn't have ordered Chopped Giant Cockatiel Liver without it.

Though I skip purple amaranths and muck root seeds this time, and add loincloths and skirts.

The human willingness to pay 60% on top for tools is nice, might sell them minecarts next year.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 11:21:15 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2020, 12:38:28 am »

The gems are in windows, but this might be more difficult than expected:

||

The animation was misplaced:

||

I had to deconstruct, then reconstruct some floors, and cut a new gem.

- - - - - - -

||

I love the way sphalerite tracks look in this set, but that's....

Not vomit but fallen bayberries. Hm. Still something to remove with gathering, I guess.

On a side note, I accelerated that constructions because birds running around cause dwarves to get stuck on top of pillars. Case in point:

||

How did that fire clay get stuck there, with no way up or down? Birb done it

- - - - - - -

I finally get to spreading out enemy corpses. This may take a while to arrange:

||

- - - - - - -

:) New people arrive!

:( All non-historical, sadly!

:) Kivish Stabmansion likes morningstars!

:( they also like silver!

:) They're unfettered!

:? After fighting and helping somebody - and sure enough, I have a red-and-cyan bloody fight against trolls down below. But they're nowhere near it, so that's interesting knowledge.

:v They're not interested in knowledge

:) but are Talented Cook and Proficient Strand Extractor

:1 which prods me to dig some more adamantine and use PatrikLundell's booze_cooker.lua¹ to queue up some more.

(The rest of the wave is mostly suited to go to military or mining, however.)

...Well I said all non-historical, but this is not quite true.

The Harvestes of Sheltering, a mostly-goblin performance troupe, also wished to stay.

However, their ages are all over the place; they don't provide a pair, and their skills aren't particularly notable outside of three great teachers....So I deny them.

||

It's not like they'd enjoy these bedrooms, anyway.

||

...Nah, I kid, they get microcline, not adamantine housing. Mostly.

- - - - - - -

Another troll wanders in, I send in some people with training weapons and then belatedly send them non-training support:

||

Some injuries on both sides, but it'll heal. As Asodide - the human father and spearman mercenary - can deal the finishing blow.

||
Well, not as planned

It might raise the question whether it was right move - death was certainly possible, and they'd train up nonetheless. From the point of fortress dwarves, this was bad.

However, Armok demands blood and sacrifice - a glorious death in battle would be a way to go.

||

||

||

A bit to the east, I decide to rework gremlin capture system:

||

The hatch was too attractive to trolls, and this reduces the number of cages and mechanisms needed.

- - - - - - -

Uh, wow. I didn't realize this was an option:

||

And what a story it is!

Whether 1396 years or infinite time ago, the dwarves know everything.

Devils and demons....I should get some.

||
Also visible: Finished hand-filling the magma carts with generated magma

For this job, I'll need prompt response, so some digs for overseer-controlled lever is prudent:

||

With this, and some bait, I'll capture any demon that fli-what?

Code: [Select]
:lua for j, creature in pairs(df.global.world.raws.creatures.all) do for i, v in pairs (creature.raws) do if v.value == "[WEBIMMUNE]" then print(creature.creature_id, j) break end end end
Tells me, combined with region-pops, that none of the webber Underworld residents appear at my embark?

Why even bother :sssssss

- - - - - - -

I notice I am out of quartzite. Can dig more, but...

||

I've discovered an exploit:

||

A wall can be deconstructed and carved into a fortification. If these steps are done in that order, then the base floor is carved into a fortification.

||

Once the fortifications are carved, they can be dug out for more stone. This means you can get unlimited flux on embarks with at least small bit of it - though ability to not reveal the underground is more useful for me, here.

- - - - - - -

With all the talks of aquifers lately, I decide to do a more central aquifer pierce:

||

All things in central area will turn to dust eventually, but till then I'll be willing to sacrifice some permanent potential for short-term gains.

||

This sort of action can't use diagonal chickenrun. Fortunately, I have a great miner here, so it won't be necessary.

||

I decide to construct walls with dog soap. The red stuff? Well it haunts me .... with dog blood.

- - - - - - -

Whoops, look at that time go!

||

Better move like the carts, smash zombies like the carts.

||

But that's another time, same place.

¹ booze_cooker.lua
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 04:24:48 am by Fleeting Frames »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2020, 11:17:33 pm »

Mere week since last time, I do another round.

First, there's the matter of zombies:

||

There's total of 48 invaders (38 offmap).

They're facing down two dwarves.

I feel sorry for the zombies - those two are my military commander and multi-legendary picklord; having first and second most kills in fort. And today, they'll reap most kills again.

Contrariwise, it's Ener's best chance to kill them, but I don't think it'll come to pass.

||
||

Coming up in the rear are also archers, and....

||
Huh, so this can happen.

Also manifesting here is also selectSquads utility¹ script for picking the  dwarves with metal weapons, since my dwarves have somewhat disparate equips.

²

May tweak it further, but the important events are more visible now.

As battle proceeds, I find a flaw:

||

All my good soldiers are on other side. I send them to fight, but they're not gonna interrupt a good fight in front of them for that....And while I do have some expendables, but they don't have metal gear, and are thus

||

...harmless?

||

Oh dear. And I was hoping I could defeat a siege with no blows being landed onto my side at all.

||

Well this sucks but a crutch will help them -

||

- was that the remaining good hand?

...I may actually lose them. And the father of Geshud, my first human baby, and husband to socialite Atal, is important indeed.

Lost in rage, retreat? Dodge? Those are not words they can understand. The defence of Desert-City of glades is paramount, but in the shadows of mountains dwarves lie.

And, oh....

||

:(

But they're not the only one in danger:

||

And why only shield? Reading the logs, they didn't lose the mace in combat, and had it on at start, but....

||

Ah. I see.

I unforbade the previous battle items at start so that I might haul it to eventual destination easier.
But some of the dwarves claimed them.
The leader of Asmel's squad claimed steel mace in their sleep
- and therefore, Asmel claimed leader's previous mace. And so...

||

When they came, I added them to the strongest pair - they were supposed to go nova. And they are - were second best shield user in fortress.

Yet in the half a year they spent here, they only made connection with Mason ònul - what will they feel when carving the slab?

||

Despite valor, nobody in their squad even knows they exist - not even the captain who doomed them. But all shall rest in a casket someday....So any last words?

||

o7

. . .

In the end, another undead siege was repelled. And while a rising star died before their prime, As Asodide lives. Maimed, down a hand and leg, but alive.

||

Is this retirement? Will this be the last battle I order them into?

No!

The siege was purely mundane
And now there's romance, danger, thrill!
A casket of remembrance for fallen to thrall
Fear and resignation of a dame

Dodge with your life on the line, As Leafplots!
(please don't die)
In the excitement granted by this risk of losing
(someone important)
- I cannot stop

The heart stutters, and begins to dance

Ω▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒Ω

Finishing up the magmagenerator, I find an odd issue: Can't get ye door.

||

What gives? Can build next to...Being linked to mechanisms and being closed gives, that's what.

To fix, I have to deconstruct and reconstruct things.
The de-reconstruction is the order of day, as apparently pinfire opals...are purple ||

But at last, the gem window animation is complete:

||

2z above that, I realize an issue:

||

I changed the fill channel to use bumping, because otherwise the cart might have trouble escaping when the channel is constantly being pumped into.

And bumping a sitting cart is proven approach.

However, there is small wrinkle: Iron on filled iron has 314/1313 speed multiplier. 7/7 magma + track turn is 4010 speed cost per tick. This means the bumper cart would need to hit the submerged tile-edge cart with 16773 speed - attainable, when accelerating from the center of tile.

However, the iron cart is in the middle of tile. Additionally, there's the possibility of filling up carts, which would require reacceleration.

The first is fixable by wall-ramming. The second would need a QSP to deal with. A double-layered hatch fall hole would work, though would induce additional risk.

For now, I'll see if it works -

||

- as soon as I replace raised bridge with a wall for aesthetics.

I discover my DT child-excluding filter isn't excluding a child. How come?

And how come their body size is under negative nine thousand?!

That can't be right....

||

||

||

Welp. And the mother already got pregnant with their...older sister this month?

There's being early birth, and there's migranting to fort before your conception.

More traders arrive - as can be expected - and also gives me the choice of barony.

, but that still leaves four to consider - The expedition leader Kol Zuglarbal, the Swordsdwarf Urvad Zokunrith, the Mason ònul ûthirmosus, and the hunter Moldath Gatizadil.

I want to separate the mayor and baron here, so Kol is out.

Urvad is asexual and has no heirs, but they're my choice of bearer for steel longsword. Were they not constantly training....

Moldath is pretty good with expensive likes, though suited for military role.

ònul ûthirmosus is the mother of the child above,
noncombatant,
last who knew fallen Asmel,
with older daughter,
and another on the way,
and unlike Moldath doesn't mind troll corpses.

The choice is clear.

Trade itself echoes same tones as human trade did, but the gems aren't as useful here, being that I'm no longer building gem window animations. Requests are similar, 'cept I'm aiming for more cloth for planepacked tricks.

||
Mebzuth went from 0 to Competent Appraisal in one trade.

I lock people in room for dumping.

||

However....

||

I left them to share a room with hamster.

||

And a happy thought too! What joy. Where would I find any hake for them to eat, anyway?

With drain below, second aquifer breach is done:

||

This was much easier than earlier attempst to retrive alabaster.
The drain isn't perfect, tho:

||

That's going to be a source of cave moss, later.

..oops, one wall happened to be adamantine.

||

And I think I like it? Maybe I'll do more admirable replacements later.

...On additional thought, I'll add a cleansing trench:

||

This...Is harder to link up than expected. Maybe next time!

¹ Script link: selectSquads.lua
² Relevant configs: Fleeting_Frames#Announcement_Window

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2020, 11:15:40 am »

A mildly timing trickery shows me: You can retry what the caravan wants from you next year by repeated retry of it. I don't need it, though it's amusing to see them pay highly for meals or instruments.

Before restarting, I wanted to get ConstructMultiz to at least respect designations. It is done¹

||

¤♧¤♧¤♧¤♧¤♧¤♧¤♧¤♧¤¤♧¤♧¤♧¤♧¤♧¤♧¤♧¤♧¤

Have had microcline walls not fit for a while. Figured it out - they're mineral, not stone walls.

||
Much better

Similarly, it showed me that Atal wishes to join - but not always at same time/date. I welcome her to fortress proper, and give some of those new clothes able to fit both dwarf and human.

Speaking of wishing to join, a migrant wave joined - and for once, the dwarf who likes two-handed swords is a military peasant. Convenient, but not spectacular.    

At similar date The worshipful Gravel also wishes to join. Two of their number included dwarves, two were married goblins - It's somewhat marginal, but snagged them anyway for yet another dwarf who likes two-handed swords - that makes 3 of those, now. If I could use guildhalls, I'd make them weaponsmith right away; as it is I have to wait.

Originally from enemy civ, they're quite the odd bunch - lacking the need to craft object, practice skill, and even taking it easy, making merry or seeing friends & family - they all however have need  to wander. And can be warriors, in two years.

With population comes elections.

||

Just as planned; expedition leader to mayor with no item prefs. I'd replace them in their CMD position, but I have nobody else with novice diagnostican yet; the exp is kind of spread out.

In celebration of their election, I opt to brew as much of their favourite beer as I can right now. Unfortunately, I don't really have materials for their preferences.

||

Similarly, late autumn brings me change to nobility.

Gneiss...Bismuth...Blue Diamond, sheep wool. Turkeys and fisher berry wine. Entirely managable. I already have fisher berry wine roast, but I ought to put a plot for it.

There is just the matter of placement of rooms. Given my plans, temporary setup is necessary, but....

Hm I guess if I place them on the lower level, there's plenty of time for reassignment, and they get an adamantine wall to admire.

In fact, they'll be placed right above magma sea, as befits baron and mason both.

...Oh, and both nobles like gneiss. That's pretty nice thing to aim for, I guess?

I caught some fire imps underground with unrevealed magma sea downstairs traps:

||

They needed some bait, so I stationed a ranged dwarf to poke them (too hot to approach in melee):

||

They got by fire and caught on fire. I immediatelly told them to go into water, but suddenly!

||

After this, they were no longer flashing red and yellow, though their XhoodX was still at 222°C.

Did the boiling alcohol explosion save them by reducing their heat below ignite point?

If so, another argument for glass vials/aluminum flasks/fire imp leather waterskins. Conveniently, last is available.

On a related note....

||

I added a second cage trap. On same tile, somehow.

||
I figured it out:CMZ lets one change build location when scrolling through the expanded choice list for build item.

Even if theres escapees, more cages is wisdom: Fourth fire imp escapes and attacks Atal and Geshud, human mother and baby:

||

They escape mostly unscatched. Fire imps are gentle creatures who wont burn babies to ashes. Atal has mixed feelings about it:

||

While I send military to help, a random miner present is quicker to hit the fire imp in the head. Maybe taking civilians lightly wasn't wise after all, imp?

I send a dwarf to kill fire imp in cage, expecting them to slay them when they escape...but it seems after the cage is moved away from magma sea, the temperature drops only to 62⁰C; below heatdam point.

||

Whoops.

Everyone coming with novice swimmer is great here!

But I forgot about 1 tile coming unsupported when Iq<pr removed ash floors...

||

And baby and dog are in danger!

||

Lokum Niralcog likes humans for their stature, so they'd make an ideal playmate for the first human born in fort.

However, they also like brimstone, and maybe that's what they'll get.

...Or wait, I do have river drainage! Time to turn it on!

||

A miner also gets slammed, goes under bridge, and starts drowning.

Fortunately, four points of drainage is enough to turn this situation around.

Unfortunately, it means I have to let Tobul, Whiplover, leave from dumping corpses. Fortunately, they've been diagnosing As Asodide long enough to rise to novice diagnostican, and thus are eligible for CMD.

Seems I deconstructed my tanner somewhen for some reason, probably for moving. So...

||

On the other hand, realized it soon enough to cheer for a second piece:

||

Woot! Fire-safe scrolls, for once!

Finally, glorious magma, how I love thee! The magmagenerator is online!

||

I also have too many stops, I lose track of them. So:

||

New script for zooming to stop/cart².

At the end of autumn, cherry leaves fall.

||

Beauty is ephermal.
Zombies are forever.
It's time again?
Ω

¹ https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User:Fleeting_Frames/constructmultiz
² https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User:Fleeting_Frames/zoomToStop
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 07:40:38 am by Fleeting Frames »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2020, 09:46:54 pm »

After 1,5 months, I return for another turn; and another round of twbt & tileset fixes!

||

Of course, I paused on the eve of a siege.

||

Small one - 26 units total.

||

I question the morale but not the effectiveness of my troops.

||

The zombies manage to do some tearing injuries, but nothing fatal hopefully. Though one did land a  bruising blow on èrith.

||

With magmagenerator running, it's time to unlock magma sea with minimal revealed tiles:

||

||

Untamed Wilds being what it is, only most animal spawns are blocked.

||
Regular-sized buzzards

"selectSquads R" takes care of it; no deaths to buzzards this time.

||

More digging, another mood. While not a weapon or useful moodable skill, this can be satisfactory use for those rough diamonds I found in kimberlite...

But, oh no!

||

Baby Kol and her dwarf-bone-stand mother Kadol have fallen into magmagenerator when deconstructing! That is, magma-filled platinum minecart grinder! It didn't occur me till now how exceptionally deadly the generator is.

||

Yikes. Yeah, that was not survivable....Shame, for Kol liked steel. I don't even have anything to bury; the corpses caught on fire.

||

Though curiously, not clothes. Again, baby in danger this year - I need to get that childcare up asap, otherwise they'll all die first.

As a consolidation, I get wearable furniture

||

Still though. Gotta plan two more graves.

||

||

Wife, dead. Only daughter, dead. This is the end of the family road for Zessibrek. Arrived last year, found their full hopes granted in matrinomy...Now it's all grinded to ash.

As a side note, I take time to obsidian-cast by craftsdwarf.

Wanna guess what I discover?

||

Unlike with removing construtions, ice melting from magma makes workshops deconstruct!

That makes this a fair bit more annoyingly tedious. Next time, I won't be mixing cold and hot casting.

At least things succeeded on level below. Some pairs of walls got cast with 1 cartful of magma:

||

||

And glasswork gets close access to kiln.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2020, 08:08:00 pm »

||

It took a while, but it's finally here! Fiendish soot!

||

Late 2nd year, first occurance of fiendish soot...

||

I guess I can also dump the coated items into a water pool as a trap for critters.

The bait animals left out serve a dual purpose of getting coated:

||
Also seems like they leave blood on the tile

...not just bait animals, though; the cloud wanders over my still:

||
Some weapons get coated :)

This also means it is time for auto-cleansing trench:

||

I've had enough of all those bloody walls everywhere anyway, but this provides an excuse to go ahead. I also appoint full-time cleaner.

|| ||

...It doesn't do full-body cleansing? The trench got bloody but dwarf itself only got coated in water...Well, no, I guess shoes did get clean so there's that.

||

At least permaflow works for auto-cleaning the trench (taken three seconds after).

||

||

...Ah, of course I get two simultaneous clouds. This one is of fire clay from lost support due floor melting from dropping magma, though.

||

It sure is more scary/annoying, at least >->

||

Sometimes collapses happen even without a reason I can tell. That was supported by floors to south and east.

||
:/

||
:>

ᐤᐞᐤᐞᐤᐞᐤᐞᐤᐞᐤᐞᐤᐞᐤᐞᐤᐤᐞᐤᐞᐤᐞᐤᐞᐤᐞᐤᐞᐤᐞᐤᐞᐤ

Adding those temporary tables to z101 was wisdom:

||

For all the bumblebee mead and salmon liver lovers, there's someone who likes just simple things like pig cheese and date wine. Monom Inkbraves is productive, happy, great mason; a model citizen.

I put them to work dumping siege trash, along with half a dozen others.

Romantic Volcano of Caskets or no, I can't keep up with all these graveyards. 1Z filled up shall be enough for Ener; I need to leave space for others too.

I also discover that unlike normal terrain, ice stairs spring back up fullyswea when construction (or just constructed wall?) made over them is deconstructed. Convenient!

Sounds way more useful than other casting types, if it wasn't for ice terrain, even constructed over, stopping the propagation of light. So...

||

Also, wtf

||

With artifact diamond chain, and artifact coal mechanisms, I have separate, longer-term goals for both.

But that's still a long way off.

And I notice my ponders take a long trip to move water.....And hey, what do you know

||

I set my best builders to handle the double-artifact well over central 2z deep water in river.

||
Alas, I set wrong Monom as Mason, who failed the roll

Though sometimes, for aesthetics I'll have to cheat a bit:

||

||

Nothing else is that shade of pink. And. I. Want It.

||

Okay, it might take bit more doing; them being economic and all.

||

Hm. Even with more doing, it seems they're produced only 1 at a time :(

PrioritizeDesignation + stamper + constructmultiz is fairly....

||

...nice power combination for mass gradient towers in the sky.

As winter fades, humans get bigger and bigger; numbers and amount.

||

Young Sodel is not quite as big as her older brother was at her age - but she'll still be able to dual-wield two-handed swords when she grows up.

And while she is not as anger-filled as her big bro, she's still quite filled with rage.

Shame; perhaps next year I'll get a suitably calm vampire child soldier.

For now, it's Atal who has to dual-wield - babies!

||

This will feel almost as easy.

As a finisher, I send the squad "Lovebirds of Rooting" off to a room to talk and cuddle.

||
Admittedly, the room is a zombie graveyard, but what does that matter?

||

Oh and Ejas Etusrabin, Guild Representitive, joins the fort as citizen. I'm building a nice visitor tavern for them, of their favorite materials, handing them a crossbow to shake off rust, and I guess making them the fort's armormsmith as well. Hope I don't corpsicle them like poor Kosoth.

||

...that's not Kosoth

||

Oops, I icecast someone again? Whoops

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2020, 09:35:30 am »

Spring! It's spring 1397!

||

As is traditional, here comes undead siege. Another one bearing steel longswords, yay!

||

The turkey sadly dies, but there's an upside: || on the iron longsword.

I also get an elf diplomat. They're not fond  of zombies.

||

I record it at 10 FPS ×1,5, and cut ouf the parts with diplomat interrupting me. Unfortunately bit of battle is lost, but it is an excellent demonstrator of spawncamping - and of the loss of someone quite significant who could have been recoverable without it.

||

Perhaps the most skilled fighter in fortress is dead.

||

They single-handedly killed seven siege leaders.

Now... How did they die

Wait, none of the zombies could hit them until they got knocked out - by jumping from my own dudes?

||

They got multiple charge attacks, this was just the one that knocked them out.

No...

I earlier posited that milita commander might be jealous of Ïton's prowess. Everyone else was weaker than her, but Ïton could have taken her and then the rest of the army.

||

||

||

But....

||

||

*sigh*

I'll give the tombs of shame alongside Iteb's grand maouselum that shall double as temples to god of sun and god of minerals and metals.

||

‼‼

||

That corpse is...in reanimating area‼

||

Oh, never mind. Apparently her skull was cloven asunder by longsword.

||

Whaaat?

||

Whaaaaaaat?

How in the HFS did one of my citizens....become a visitor?

And what's more, not just any old citizen, not one of the fighters near map edge, but one that is my main/only architect, main leatherworker and a rare weapon mooddorf?

And...They don't petition.

No, this will not do. I forcibly recruit them back.

||

Odd. How come...Water movement I guess; Lets unsuspend it.

And link- how come no mechanisms?

||

Ah, fire turrets!

...Nooo fire turrets come baaack - they ran the wrong way. Crud!

So I finally build a kennel

||

No overrides, huh?

Well, thankfully last week had the kennel graphics posted in devlog. Ordinarily #s would be grates or pits, but this time they'll be cages. Proper art would be better though.

||

Eh it'll do.

Since I already built it, might as well use it.

Bronze and black bronze animal traps, and...then to tame the animals to free up the traps, and huh what's this:

||

Apparently, frozen milk counts as solid food item.

(And so does frozen lye. No, that's not safe to feed to animals...but I'm now tempted to build a frozen kennel just for taming animals with lye ;P)

More construction:

||

Casting squares one by one is a pain. Mixing ice and obsidian-casting was a time-consuming mistake.

Trade!

||

Coin trade!

I also get like 70 grown wood off elves with a forbidding trick. Convenient, though not the types I'm wanting.

Also use updated buy_food_needs script¹ that considers brewing products. Gets dates for date palm wine.

||

The animals aren't bad either. Though upon retrospect, I slaughter the boar and gila right away -

I've had enough of all this blood:

||

So I erase it with roads and constructmultiz:

||

Migrants!

Only 3 this time. But still, not bad for 3. Oh,  they're all functionally peasants, but one likes great axes (and is a hunter) and another is good for military (though that they got Discipline off from being horrified by corpse of Ïteb makes me wonder about it....and get to cleanup).

Interestingly, the last demonstrates that one can have need for arguing while getting negative thoughts from it.

At the same time, I decide to take care of pithorse for once. Before sending in Érith's new sparring partner with morningstar I send in some more training-weapon armed people.

||

I judge the two levels of armor to be worth the trade, though the attention itself beggars.

||

Yaaay

||

Demon sealing circle succeeded!

||

And they're pregnant!

...And they're useless from a capitalistic sandpoint.

||

||

||

Or military standpoint. They never attacked, just stood there and got shot. In general, looks like Urvad likes to engage by shooting....

...And that's mostly it for spring!

1: https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User:Fleeting_Frames/buy_food_needs

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2021, 11:52:32 pm »

Start of Summer 1397:

I do tons of TWBT/tileset work to enable fair bit of stuff: visible on new map on dfma: https://mkv25.net/dfma/map-12866-desert-cityofglades if you have flash in 2021.

Curses!

||

So the ungrateful escape even after I tame them? Unfortunate new thing to learn.  Guess I'll need a metal cage.

||
What a pretty cage to admire, Atal!

Why the terrarium? Well, I got to put some "Catch live land animals" on repeat, and well...

||

They caught a fish in aquifer spillage. "Land" animal, indeed.

I finally finish up cleaning the upstairs in my aquifer garden as well

||

The remaining 3 walls would spew water if not held back. Hopefully I'll get a nice hanging garden out of this.

But obsidian-casting the edges twice is perhaps grander task....

Swords and blades. Glorious mementous, to-be-pretend immutable artifacts...

They need proper decorations before they're named. They're already attached - time is running short.

So I take my crossbow+sword wielder and give theirs fire theme

||

Another, ice theme, for my milita commander using it:

||

Yet it is the first who bears the crossbow, and second who bears a shield.

From this follows third being given the theme of earth:

||

As for the last, wind would follow...But I don't have the requisite materials yet.

Trivial finding: They keep their progress towards naming.

-

The flying ({copper bolt}) strikes the Starlover in the lower body, bruising the muscle and bruising the right kidney through the (pig tail fiber cloak)!

Another siege bearing steel! Firing over my ramparts!

||

Battle keeps getting interrupted by the cavy boar giving in to pain.

Fikod Sodelamost Tustemibruk Arek, militia commander cancels Sleep: Interrupted by a goblin spearman corpse.

I feel your pain, Fikod

I also lose a turkey. But other than that, it goes fairly well.

|

Too many breedin' bunnies. And I do have beetle corpse in cage.....

||

Time to have people feed the bunnies....or else face the might of zombie ones, in this reanimating airshear of map.

||

...Oh, never mind about one of them || - they blood coughed to death.

Merchants!

||

After a brief headbutting of treecutting-erasing-constructions bug, I meet them, having forgotten my requests.

Along the way, Ejas Etusrabin, my guild representive of a broker becomes mayor. Guess coin trade did them some good....It was bit unusual having 1 human guild representive conduct meeting with another. Human power?

I have to make them impromptu quick entrances and exits, for my admittedly beautiful -

||

- merchant entrance isn't quite ready yet - I discounted needing walkable floor on either side of monoramp.

Once the trade is done, I deconstruct the depot and start cooking some non-farmable crops.

||

Heh heh.....

Oh dear, construction accidents.

||

Terrible constructions accidents! Now Monom's arm and leg will be stuck in hell forever!

And he was such a nice proficient speardwarf and legendary Merchanic too!

||

Well-loved by everyone, with 7th most kills in fortress.

||

Goodbye, Monom.

||

Seems my now-baronness Ònul sensibly fled away into dead-end.

Horror movie in the making gets interrupted, however, as I send my first squad to intervene

||

And they lose another - Kol Zônsod, Hammer lord, goes down after only doing one attack from his crossbow

||

Thankfully, the wonderful commander ends them rightly.

And after nearly a week of uptime, game segfaults to right after merchants >_>

As a results, the deaths are lost :( Though I do manage to estabilish and fix the cause (search.cpp), and and a fix is on the way for next version of dfhack. Just my luck to be first to discover it after four years.

Speaking of squads, some are quite distracted from lack of prayer

||

But how can it be? Are not all my drinking places in temples?

...Well, right. I gave my squads waterskins, so they never go there. Could remove the skins, oooor

||

Personal temples, for prayer of a good day right after waking! Hope it helps!

Finally, migrants!

Kùbuk Quakewelled, novice mason, will help continue my exotic moods project; he likes two-handed swords.

Other than that, I guess Alåth Blanketlancers can do greenglasswork, and most of them will do pretty well in military. 'cept for Bëmbul, what's with their 220 endurance. They can, uh, mine?

For the rest, I'm filling in Erith's squad - formerly the Brass Sects, now renamed to "Maze of Penitance" with newbies for her to instruct in repentance.

Well, I guess this is good stopping point. Ja ne!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 02:25:10 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2021, 06:44:46 pm »

Time for another Solstice round!

...I notice I accidentally included -bg layer in IBSheet. Whoops, easy fix.

As for the captured fire imps, turns out being crushed by minecart mangled two skins out of 3. I'll not be reanimate-splitting those skins, I expect....Next time, I'll know to drown them.

Military commander names their frightfully frozen steel longsword The Head of Scars - "Ser UrrÏth". (And also their shield.)

And with that sword, they go and slay some more snowmen:

||

...short combat, only four attacks.

But it - and earlier combat - points out that I should have better way to slay the pointless enemies.

||

Oops, snuck by

||

And slew a child.

And a Competent Wrestler

||

||

And a Hammer Lord Kol, again.

||

And the youngest child of baronness Ònul. That's four dead off a single & that snuck by :(

Some of them were new to fort. Others were from first two migrant waves.

With that many dead, it's only time to make a suitable killing area, and suitable tomb for them:

||

...No matter. I have phantom of snow shell, and this is suitable for decorating my scrolls -

Atal Mubomel, militia captain cancels Decorate With shell: Needs unrotten shell body part.

What?!

Seems it isn't a valid shell for decoration.

Well. That's dissapointing.

That's really dissapointing.

I wanted & shell industry.

What use is my clever trap now?
||

.....Aaa Scholar already wrote on it too!

I forgot to disable library zone on craftsdwarf!

An experiment:

As Leafplots lost their hand to zombie.

Might it qualify as valid husband for Atal?

||

....Oh, seems like everyone was unhappy to see that.

Lets find out.

...Oh no

||

A reacher sneaked in! Thankfully the baby was fine.

...And turns out no, a hand is not a valid husband.

||

Oh no, poor Legendary Zasit. Seems they stood on the stairway they were removing and took a 5z fall. For some reason this doesn't always happen, but I'm not sure why.

Auras of Rhyme come again. I deny their petition again.

||

One day, their two dwarves might make for a potential exotic mood, but not today.

I found out trees grow differently when save is reloaded:

||

This peach tree "should" have been reachable.

Good for coppicing mod idea, though.

Is that all for summer? It's all for summer. I do some other surface/construction stuff, sure, but nothing that's ready....Oh, I guess there was this:

||

Meng needs to name their training sword, but then it'll be time for them to wield a proper weapon.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2021, 09:23:21 pm »

What the hell did I just read. I read the first two posts... then I had to go back to the beginning to remind myself what the point of this was. While I had forgotten while reading (and who could blame me?), the premise is both vague and seems to have little explanation for much of the content.

Yes, you're trying to chronicle something, but I have little idea what that something is, where all-scholars embark comes in, why the cyclopes attacked even if apparently you don't even have a proper fort, where - if anywhere - does proper housing even come in... and of course, the rambling. So much rambling.

Well, congrats for keeping to this for 4 years, I might return someday when I feel more confident I can actually process this. No promises.
Sigtext updated 05-10-2023.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2021, 10:09:10 am »

It's chronicle of what I do on given embark I found particularly cool. Not just fort-making, but all the experiments, code things, etc. playtime experience.

Back then, I used lot more sentence fragments; now rereading it's like overhearing a conversation on the phone where you cannot see the other participant.

Because of that, I'm now torn between rewriting and keeping.
(I guess I could do both in the future; tag the old post under spoiler while making a new summary. Well, maybe one day when I do something important.)

For the minor notes:

The all-scholars embark was just one of many examples of testing in the fort. The save with tests has been forgotten and none of the scholars other than the migrant one have been kept, but the results remain valuable to this day.

The cyclops appeared since I used animaldiveristy megas command (from the OP: ".Using PatrickLundall's plant diversity script and my quick animal adaptation of it (with semi and full mega animals - a happy accident) to populate the missing one-fifth of plants and animals in 1387/1394.").

But perhaps the ultimate demonstation of "lack of why" & "lack of attachment" both are the milkfish.

Lack of attachment:

Events happen, then are wiped - very frequently in first six posts (though game crashes still result in some later on). At what point should the reader commit things to "history of Desert-City of glades" internally?

I'd sure have to hope the events are interesting in vacuum for readership, because that doesn't come until all embark scholars are gone.

Lack of why:

I have plans. Long-term plans. Plans that have been influenced by in-game decades of near nothing in generational fortress.

The scholar research is there to give the fort members something to do in the short eternity that will come.
The cyclops is there so I can still have all the megabeasts without all the civiliziation deaths.
The milkfish are there because I found the idea of "magma sea → proper sea" pretty cool.

But none of the plans are apparent†. I like "unspoken plan" and "the reveal" as literary tropes, but...Applying them here was a mistake.

Thanks for the literary critique; at the very least I've edited the OP to detail the above and to separate updates into arcs († and also many goals). As you might imagine, my style has changed over years.

PS: Oh yeah, I still don't have proper housing :P What I have are 1x6 bedrooms with double walls...That's intended to be temporary, like all things that last forever.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2021, 07:18:44 am »

After over a month, time for another Solstice Round! (Though first, fixing a TWBT crash - apparently fruits can be harvested with print type not set, resulting in them looking withered but edible.)

========================

Naturally, the first thing to handle is siege:

||

At first glance, the combat goes well, with few injuries, and 22/9 kills for commander&captain present first....

But then upon further glance:

||

She's lost arm and leg through this battle. No ability to stand or grasp - not throgh mere spine damage, but by methodical dicing.

And the trading hall for the representive isn't even ready yet!

But, luckily, she is straight brought to the hospital with traction.

She gets treated! And washed, and splinted, and sewn together.

She gets up, walk around, make trade agreements with dwarven caravan....

||

||

Two months later, infection takes them in the middle of tavern.

Mayor, broker, guild representive all in one - a fine crossbowwoman besides. She dreamed of ruling the world, left behind her husband and was well on her way to there.

||
Her last thoughts

I guess I really should add cats to hospital in addition to the soap. But for now, expedition leader retakes the helm...

"Kol Zuglarbal, Carpenter has been elected mayor."

While Ejas leaves, Kûbuk Ikudlibash, Great bowyer and great axe lover enters.

========================

It's enjoyable to see trees turning yellow in autumn:

||

But that means I must hurry with getting depot up!

||

...And I don't make it.

||

There's too much coins to move out of the way for second build.

And to worsen matter, some dwarves with preferences for coins claim them:

||

On the bright side, I do manage to eventually get my quad smelters operational:

||

Zinc and Pewter, Steel and Silver, Iron and Aluminum, decoration is the dream of groundscraper.

========================

Rotting

||

||
Also, I accidentally made transparent miasma

This is not overburdened kitchens, or butchers.

Nor is it jealous military, expect in maybe one sense.

It's the consequences of my hubris.

||

The tried-to-be treated victims of & still rest, unentombed.

And those entombed....

||
||

Still get disturbed (by crundles).

========================

||

First locally made fire imp parchment scroll, Elements of Waxing and Waning.

This didn't take long.

||

Rakust pondered and ponders Division - this must be wg research, then.

Each historical person ought to take a moment in library, given that....

========================

I've grown more cautious about &s.

||
Pig iron bars.

No more meleeing them - now archers can shoot whoever pops up. None of the fliers are breedable anyway.

But now? A good stopping point.

||

||

Nopal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2021, 12:40:06 pm »

this is cool. keep it up!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2021, 01:02:59 am »

Thank you for your kind words, likewise with what you've done before - I can finally see vermin :).

Hoped to get an update last friday, but that cart got derailed - seems May 7th work fell prey to some sort of save corruption slash rendering issue. Wish I had kept bit more backups than the three dozen I have, but since lot of the time is deciding shouldn't take as long to catchup (while I did find a potential workaround, I just know 2 potential reproduction methods out of 2+unknown)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2021, 01:37:42 am »

Round 33, after longer than I hoped. As pointed out above, this has taken years. Now, my plans are grand, but they're not THAT grand.

||
Found the fleshy wasp. Omnomnom!

The save corruption was a bigger pain than expected. I believe I've fixed some potential issues (and became aware of others - e.g. disabling confirm dialog resulting in gui sharpnel) I initially underestimated how much I'd have to redo. Though it'd be just 1 update, but no - I redod was everything since spring, total of five. However, using vanilla DF to check, either my system hardware itself induces the corruption now or the issue that occurs in winter 1397 in particular dates back years, at least to the save where I first switched to TWBT next.....I was too weary to check further when I knew how to work around some of the crashes.

But this save might be on limited lifespan, given that.

Well, at least dfhack.buildings.deconstruct can remove buildings I find cause crashes in .47.
Spoiler: Or are otherwise weird (click to show/hide)
And things went smoother, if I say.

Mostly redoing what you see above which I'll not mention here, but some changes. Ranger Kol, spear and crossbow squad leader, died. Iton lived, and so the temples to their gods didn't came to be.

A weird happening: I have no wild animals. This, in itself, isn't weird when I have a locked-away wild horse, but...

Zasit, my Legendary Gem Cutter, took a fall week ago, when removing stairs.

||

Now they took a second fall, while gathering plants.

Why are they in particular so clumsy? I am baffled. Certainly nothing to do with their poor spatial and kinesthetic sense, I am sure.

I get surprised by a 3rd siege on 3rd day of the season, when I had send my warriors back home. Bad, when I have hospitals on the battlefield!

||

Well, now this went bit more exciting!

||

I keep putting off the swim training...and paying for it.

But, 3 days?

I'm suspicious...

||

That, indeed, these are not zombies, but regular goblins from ogre-boasting dark fortress! Coming to my fort when it's at 79 pop!

Nice to see that those skirmishing attacks do occur. And I did get two feather wood shields off it, so not bad.

But they're not the only invaders!

Bronze colossus enters the fort. Iskak Bladeblazed the Scalded Controllers of Standing is one of two megabeasts of the world, and the one with four-digit kill list.

||

It'd have been nice to use them for archery practice.

As is, though, between lashes and steel longswords, it has little chance.

Unexpectedly, from over the ocean

||

||

As they are the only one of their kind, I cannot breed them. What then?

||

Fight.

||

Despite combat skills on Obok UristUstuth, it doesn't go well for them

They could have made an excellent warrior, but I forgot to add them to military...Ah well.

But what's this? Second dwarf joins the fray, with an iron pick!

||

It goes badly for them too.

||

Obok soon dies as well, but no matter: Another miner/herbalist and a caravan hammerman join the fight!

||

||

Èrith Nunùrshorast climbs into the fray!?

||

No, I don't think so. Not yet. I don't want the end of the age of Obruk Guttergoals to end just yet! I have plans...Plans that say their corpse must remain fit for reanimation.

||

This is not you last fight, Obruk.

||

Say hello to young Unib, Atal. Let the husband see the baby, too ♥

Interestingly, even after Atal's citizenship petition, Ineth was still born with the cultural values of The Empire of Rooting.

Like her older brother and sister, she will have the size to dual-wield two-handed swords. Like her siblings, she might not be best person to do that.

I'm going to do it anyway.

||
They lie

||
Shipping for the shipping god!
||

A neat use for gui/timeout: Wait list for wall:

||

With needing to delay building it, I could suspend it, but that risks forgetting to unsuspend.

||

This way, there's no issue.

Some job priority weirdness:

||

Asmel was set to haul some goblin skeletons to stockpile....yet once they got nearer to road (1z below on central stairway), they blinked ? and switched labors. This is without road building job being marked high priority.

Not only, but I notice broker cancelling job to trade at depot to diagnose patient.

Fights

|| ||

Ripping apart the lung, knocking both in hospital...The goblin is citizen of the Wickedness of Gold as well.

||

Will they start a fight when I get invaded by Wickedness of Gold? The above says no...But perhaps accepting their petition was a mistake.

Yet, I hesistate to condemn one whose Petition I accepted. My first instict is to protect my citizens, after all.

Not only that, but being agile & strong makes her ideal for gobliny long-distance tasks like mining. Yet giving her a mining pick now...

...Lets nickname them "Strike One"

Wrens reverting to wildness....

||

They should have been caged, but now they regain flying ability and leave. Hm.

||

...Well, some leave.

Some time ago, I was setting up engraving walls to note: Kadol was buried here.

Well, I accidentally engraved C instead of A. So, erasing that....Carve Fortification, then obsidian-cast:

||

||

!!!

Apparently, track stop (set to dump to south) wont dump into map edge?! New findings about DF everyday.

...Or no, in another accident it seems to be because of the timing - normally, dumping into a wall erases water/magma, but if you dump both at same time, it'll instead obsidiancast the trackstop.

||

Disappointing. My bait animal turns out to be too dangerous for them...

||
At least they look cool.

Later on, statue toppled, and...Oh?

||

Ignored?

||

Delightful!

||

But I still have to deal with corruption. Why start of winter 1397 in particular is the issue? I don't know.

But I know I need to handle this siege without looking at it - and with only mace and hammer lord ready to jump into fray, the fight would go poorly...if it wasn't for the enemies having eleven weapons, deflecting off the armor.

Nonetheless, some bites get through, and....

||

Shaken, but not stirring.

So I cut down a tree under a gander.

||

Gander decided to not fall, of wonder of wonders. More evidence that they're simply unwilling, not unable to fly.

Scaffolding

||

It's weird that this is the way I make those corner walls...Though tbh, I could handle that in another way, by using wall below them as support.

Nonetheless, it allows to display the colours of rock salt, slate, alabaster and stibnite birdges.

||

Alas, I still don't manage to do it safely.

the Great-Axer Meng Ukoshtukos is hunting

Bit unusual, but nothing too weird....

||

||

||

Apparently, hunters can target unrevealed creatures?! That's...Cool, but not all that great actually!

The in-aquifer rainfall research library under a murky pond.

Maybe this is bit of foolishness. After all, casting these walls isn't truly neccessary.

|| ||

Yet it proceeds apeace, losing wheelbarrow by wheelbarrow to magma carts - just remaining on same tile is enough to keep heating them up.

||

But I lose 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 dwarves that get obsidian-cast by magma backflow from second cart. Some remain in walls, other I dig an dump out in above.

Similar to rainfall library, I wish to ensure the aquifer garden is lined with obsidian. Maybe a bit more automatic this time:

||

But this means I need lot of mechanisms for dozens of track stops. Enter the repeating marble mine:

||

While not fully revealed since holding off on training for moods, it's nonetheless potent. Not as potent as it could be, though.

At the very least, trees are finally growing under the green glass

||

A reacher? Sweet!

||

Or so I think

||

The unarmed squad member I send to fight to train dies?!

There can be only one sort of honor to that!

||

Revenge!

Ejas Etusrabin, Human Poet has been found dead.

Inevitable? Fated? Because of the testings, I've ran this season many times, and my Guild Representitive always dies around this time.

This time, he died late autumn, from fighting the gray langur in late summer and losing both arms. Infection.

||

He's not the only one. Kadol got their throat torn open. Curious if that can be treated, I set dfhack to fill their blood to two-thirds full every 100 ticks - initially twice more than enough, but after few months...They died peacefully in bed.

However, I learned something from that. While it seems ice cast and regular constructions accept a fountain of blood just fine....

||

...It seems like ice boulder constructions wont stick blood to it?

||

..Or no. Some of those are dug, not constructed ice stairs. Same biome too. Not sure what to make of this, but seems like there ought to be a way to build hemophobic fortressi.

Alongside construction accidents above and learning that a dwarf will dehydrate when the creature they're trying to pasture is in impassable tile of workshop, the migrants barely keep my fortress population even.

...Well, who remains finally gets the drowning training I wanted:

||

||
||

But I still have to deal with corruption. Why start of winter 1397 in particular is the issue? I don't know.

But I know I need to handle this siege without really looking at it (a quick test in 47.05 shows me one troublesome zone - but getting rid of that one doesn't solve it here) - and with only mace and hammer lord ready to jump into fray, the fight would go poorly...if it wasn't for the enemies having elven weapons, deflecting off the armor.

Autumn turns to winter, cherry leaves fall...

||

Four score strong siege arrives to mountain halls.

||

And this is the leader?

||

Well, they're a smart one for sure. Zombies in the hole!

But since everyone was drowning, they're now all drinking, eating, sleeping. Only Èrith and Kol Zonsod, Legendary Hammerman, could run to the party.

||

But the doors hold, and the army rises once more to battle.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4