Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you support Iridium's rebellion if he becomes an animal person of some sort?

Yes
- 13 (46.4%)
No
- 15 (53.6%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203]

Author Topic: (SG) SPAMOVERLORD: Epilogue: Guest Week  (Read 282694 times)

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) SPAMOVERLORD: Epilogue: World-Ending Liability
« Reply #3030 on: March 09, 2021, 10:36:56 pm »

BA.
However, also study - as a backup and interim measure, for before we figure out how to safely release Anna's soul/if we figure out that we can't safely release Anna's soul - methods with which to allow a soul that is trapped within the Key to exert an influence on the outside world. For example, a robot body.

We can ask about studying it for other applications - for example, keeping terminally ill people in stasis until we can try to treat them - at a later time, when/if David trusts us more. Studying the broken pieces could also be valid for that part.
"+1 to whatever Glass said."
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3031 on: March 09, 2021, 10:43:17 pm »

BA.
However, also study - as a backup and interim measure, for before we figure out how to safely release Anna's soul/if we figure out that we can't safely release Anna's soul - methods with which to allow a soul that is trapped within the Key to exert an influence on the outside world. For example, a robot body.

We can ask about studying it for other applications - for example, keeping terminally ill people in stasis until we can try to treat them - at a later time, when/if David trusts us more. Studying the broken pieces could also be valid for that part.
+1
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3032 on: March 15, 2021, 10:58:58 pm »

BA.

+1

Spoiler: Rolls (click to show/hide)

“Nothing.” Quill says. He checks over the readouts one more time to be sure.

“Nothing,” he repeats. David Eborrenial, Erin Quill, and Enir Nest are standing in Quill’s lab. The Key of Taloc is still active and still in David’s hands, with wires running out of it to Quill’s instruments.

“I thought I’d be able to at least interface with the soul and communicate with it or something, but I can’t even determine how exactly it’s being contained. Whatever mechanism pulls it in seems to be completely one-way.”

“There’s no way to bring her back, then,” David says flatly.

Do you suggest another way?
A: Suggest bringing it to the OOTS universe anyway, in the hopes that they have something that can free the soul.
B: Suggest that David give you the Key so you can study it further (reroll with no maluses)
C: Suggest nothing.
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3033 on: March 15, 2021, 11:53:26 pm »

A.

"I promise you, we will not give up until we have well and truly exhausted our options. The people there have had experience with trapped souls; if anybody can help us figure this out, it will be them."
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3034 on: June 26, 2021, 09:28:47 pm »

A.

"I promise you, we will not give up until we have well and truly exhausted our options. The people there have had experience with trapped souls; if anybody can help us figure this out, it will be them."

"We could bring her to Azure City. The people there have experience with trapped souls; if anybody can help us figure this out, it will be them. And even if that doesn't work, I promise you, we will not give up until we have well and truly exhausted our options." Quill looks David in the eye; the determination in each is clear to both.

David looks away first, and sighs. Runs his hand through his hair. "Yeah, yeah, I- I know. I'm just... she's practically dead. Maybe even worse, because there's still that sliver of hope to make it keep hurting."

Quill puts a hand on his shoulder. "I understand. You're worried about her, and I won't tell you not to be. But this is about our last option on this."
In order to convince him to give it a try: 2d6, can look into it on 5 or higher, as the dice would be rolled before the action is actually undertaken (if the result would be bad, it won't happen in the first place). Roll: 5+5 = 10, success.
"Are you... are you sure?" David looks back at Quill. The Visionary looks so... deflated, from how Erin is used to seeing him.
What would the dice say? 2d6+2, based on the original table... it would be 3+4+2 for a total of 9. Erin Quill would be able to extract her soul!
Erin hesitates. "...listen. I know you're reluctant to hand over the Key, and for good reasons. But the only other remaining option - and the only one that doesn't rely on magic or any other extradimensional stuff that we don't understand - is if you would allow me to take the Key - purely temporarily, of course - and study it properly. Would you be willing to do that?"

David closes his eyes, scrunches up his face. Takes a deep breath, and lets it out. "...fine. Fine. You can have it. I don't like it, but you can have it." He glares at Quill. "Do not make me regret this."
He hands the Key to Erin, who nods solemnly. "I won't. I swear on my life."

David nods back. "Good enough."

The next day, everyone is back in the lab. Erin looks much happier than he had the previous day.

“We can get her out.”

David’s expression soars, before crashing back into the ground. “Good. That’s good! But - once she’s out, what can we do then?”

Erin gives a small sigh. “That’s the big question, really. And why I haven’t actually extracted her yet.”

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) SPAMOVERLORD: Epilogue: Guest Week
« Reply #3035 on: June 26, 2021, 10:54:24 pm »

“That’s the big question, really. And why I haven’t actually extracted her yet.”

...why are you all looking at me? I don't know why he hasn't extracted her yet.

Spoiler: Notes (click to show/hide)

Flashback: Night, previous day

"Amazing, Quill," Enir Nest says, leaning against a wall. "You actually got him to give you the Key?"

"Perhaps unlike you, I actually make an effort to get people to trust me, Nest," Erin Quill replies. He doesn't look up from his work, which consists of a mess of wires and instruments hooked up to the red piece of glass at the core of the Key.

Nest gestures at this assembly. “How’s this going?”

“Excellently,” Quill answers. He lifts his goggles and turns to face Nest. “Getting it out of the supporting structure made the difference. I can reverse the process that pulled Anna’s consciousness into the Key, so that when activated, the Key will transfer it back out instead.”

“And that will resurrect her?”

“Hopefully, yes.”

Enir Nest nods. “And leave the Key intact, if empty, I suppose.”

“I’m unsure if the process will damage it. I’ve located and deactivated the mechanisms restricting when the soul will be transferred - I have no idea how those will affect the reverse transfer, so it’s better to disable them. It’d be a good idea to have nobody else touch the Key when we throw the switch” Quill answers.

“And, conversely, we could drain someone else’s soul into the thing quite easily,” Nest muses.

“I’m going to recommend against that for hopefully obvious reasons,” Quill replies.

“You may be right. Might we be able to make our own Key?”

“Probably not. I haven’t deciphered a tenth of it, and we have no means of manufacturing one anyway.”

“How about the other idea, then? Can we design a countermeasure?”

Spoiler: Well, how about it? (click to show/hide)

“...well, that’s more complicated,” Quill admits. “I have a few theories, but I can’t validate any of them by just looking at the Key itself. I need to examine its interactions with a living mind…”

“...which would entail powering it up and using it.” Nest says.

“Which would equate to torturing Anna, or whatever’s left of her, even further,” Quill states.

“Are you worried about David’s reaction?” Nest asks.

“He might not be able to tell. Same with Anna, once we’ve resurrected her.” Quill answers.

What do you say next?
A: “I’ll get things ready for the test.”
B: “Nevertheless, I don’t think it’s worth it. Drop the idea."
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 10:58:37 pm by blueturtle1134 »
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #3036 on: June 26, 2021, 11:04:46 pm »

B

b28b 84f2 b6e5 6f86 b10b c99b 8d9a 8530 54dc 2c8c d3b2 0e8e 36d4 9949 d87e d12b

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3037 on: June 27, 2021, 12:27:38 am »

B.

There ideally shouldn’t be any more Key(s) after this, so a countermeasure isn’t really worthwhile? At least not at this potential cost.
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203]