Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Increstellar - 4x lite by yours truly  (Read 13159 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Increstellar - 4x lite by yours truly
« on: November 03, 2017, 10:57:22 am »

I've made a thing and it's ready for a first beta:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's a 4x that takes load of influences from the incremental genre and wants to be nothing more than a coffee breaker.

It contains everything you'd expect from a space 4x - bomb enemies to reduce their threat, conquer sectors, research better ships, build planetary facilities, improve your civilization and manage colony expectations - but in a compact package that keeps moving forward like more classical incrementals - artifacts grant you civilization bonuses when you secede to found a new empire and once a galaxy is yours you can move to the next for better rewards and bigger threats.

it has bugs. some by me, some because browser games are built in browsers, but it's to the point where it entertains me enough to be shared.

Hope to hear some feedback from you guys :)

Here's the direct link increstellar.com

And here's the devlog https://losboccacc.itch.io/increstellar/devlog/
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 03:44:21 pm by LoSboccacc »

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Increstellar - 4x lite by yours truly
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 02:25:54 pm »

so i tried this game :)

i will just write what i dont like. dont take it in the wrong way  tho, if i hated your game i would not bother ;)

- foremost, shipbuilding. it will reduce my production when a ship is finished, and i can assign my production by priority. this means, i have to start a large ship untill its almost finished, build a few small ships to reduce my production to a low lvl, build the large ship a bit more untill its again almost finished, build more small ships untill my production is as close to zero as i can get by building small ships, then finish the large ship (i could just build small ships till my production is low and then the large ship, but that would take forever).
i will end up with a fleet that consumes more support  then i produce, but the game would not care. i use the fleet to exploit or expand untill its gone or untill i can build something better, then i scrap it and build it new.

now, what i do not like here is all that micromanagement, and the mecanic that makes an exploitive mecanic like going over the support limit optimal.
why not just allow me to make a desired fleet comp and immidieately calculate support even for unfinished ships. then, build my desired ships to the ammount i desire (peferably at a speed calculated by my total production, regardless of support).
this way, i would have to do much less  repetitive micromangement, the gameplay was smoother, better to understand and less exploitive.

well, more bitchin likely to follow, but thats whats formost in my head right now.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 02:32:10 pm »

well it's this way because fleet getting stomped kinda act like rate limiter but I see your point and was actually thinking about how to make a system that gets both characteristics (i.e. fleet uses priority exactly but building it still takes time)

keep all the negative coming I know there are flaws in there and I know there's something good too because I like playing it :)

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 02:36:13 pm »

I kind of want to see a visual indicator for fleet capacity, it's kind of opaque right now.

Also I found a bug. I started the game and went afk (and switched tabs) for a while and came back to find spam about a colony having problems. When I pressed OK I had about half a second before a new one showed up, which made the game unplayable because it blocked the UI. It stopped when the colony finally left.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 02:36:40 pm »

i agree that building should take time. but there must be some way to do it without this micromanagement i think.
i mean, even if you would do it with a system without priority sliders and a desired fleet comp instead, you still could calculate time to build on production vs end support.
maybe make it so that ships in a fleet cant be replaced and a fleet has to be build always from scratch. that way you would avoid very short replacement times for small ship losses.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 03:04:47 pm »

I kind of want to see a visual indicator for fleet capacity, it's kind of opaque right now.

Also I found a bug. I started the game and went afk (and switched tabs) for a while and came back to find spam about a colony having problems. When I pressed OK I had about half a second before a new one showed up, which made the game unplayable because it blocked the UI. It stopped when the colony finally left.

there was a bug on the indicator should be fixed now, was making an alert any time a colony was under 50 stability instead on when it crossed the threshold, should be fine if you refresh the page

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 03:42:38 pm »

so building research seems totally pointless, building services seems a waste of cash. for research there is barely any increased income from building them, the increase from services seems to be about 10X higher, but even at this much higher rate it seems much better just to build production. almost all income comes from raids anyhow.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 03:56:36 pm »

Research appears to do nothing, my level 30 light fighters seem to be just as weak as level 1 LFs.

Current meta appears to be to capture sectors until you reach an acceptable artifact chance and then raid constantly.

Economic and Research buildings are a waste of money, as boosting production means you can raid constantly; which is far more profitable.

Scouting seems to be a trap, as it increases enemy threat level but doesn't increase your fleet cap. Meaning you can easily reach a point where you can't do anything.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 03:58:31 pm by Blaze »

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 04:04:11 pm »

i found a bug. above a certain production threshold, building small ships will reduce the build time below 0, and additional ships will be build in a hidden queue with each cycle. these hidden ships then will be deployed when another hull is build, one per cycle.
this makes it realy hard to get a good fleet comp above a certain production level, because the hidden qeue cant be scrapped.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 04:56:32 pm »

ship effectiveness roughly doubles every 100 levels. enemy do level up as you progress, making research effect more evident after a reset, when they start accumulating

balance is kinda hard. difficulty does ramp up eventually, the first 30-40 level are more linear to allow people to get a feel on the mechanics. that said I do agree that current costs make production overuseful, so I'll try reducing exploit payouts and raising factories base price.

I'll sleep over it and then try different solutions while also fix ship building to make it less tedious, if possible.

thanks all for the feedback! it's harder than I ever thought to build long term games.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2017, 04:58:52 pm »

You have my attention, I'll watching this and its progress
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2017, 10:31:59 pm »

Spoiler: Industrialism Ho! (click to show/hide)

I don't see how other builds can work as well as this one, I could probably set up an autoclicker to hit exploit over and over and still rake it in.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2017, 12:29:40 am »

i could not get past sector 97, so i reset the galaxy.
reset the galaxy again when it was clear that my notable planets would not grow much anymore anyhow, and i would proably not make it through again.
that time, i got a capital, but no notable planets till sector 40ish so i reset again.
now i dont even seem to get a capital anymore. dunno. proably missing the trigger.
whats the trigger to get the capital and notable planets?

edit: i spend my artefacts to see if that could be a trigger, and it spawned the capital immidiately.
so do i have to spend artefacts to get notable planets too? that could be a bad ting. the cheapest upgrade is 16 artefacts, and i have one... so it will take forever to get my first colonies if thats indeed the trigger.

political hub proably is triggered by the "attack aliens" action. after that, it seems random based on build facilities.
the important thing to do is having enough artifacts in store to unlock somethin on a new map then, as its generally better to get notable planets early to level them up.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 01:16:48 am by motorbitch »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2017, 03:04:03 am »

notable planets generation is random, capped on (sector count)/10 and should be faster as you get under sector count, but only happens not in combat. after the first two planet they're based on your built facilities with a 10% flat chance of a second hub happening - shouldn't wait to sector 40 to get some must have been some issue in colonies counting

Spoiler: Industrialism Ho! (click to show/hide)

holy hell factories payouts are definitely out of whack

ok, for now I raised factory cost, reduced science payout from raid and doubled research effects on ship effectiveness, all together this should alleviate the industrialization importance and give people a reason to build research centers
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 03:26:52 am by LoSboccacc »

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2017, 04:47:15 am »

hey, thanks for the info :)

i agree that payouts dont match, but wouldnt just nerfing raids slow down the game to much? research facilities would still be useless, and it would be reaaaaaaly tidious to get the ships and production that are needed to progress bejond sector 20.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10