Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: The Tales of Runlance - Year 1511 - OVERSEERS NEEDED! APPLY INSIDE!  (Read 25259 times)

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile

There is a legend among our people.
Of a group of dwarves in a dying land, who built a home in a last ditch effort to preserve their civilization.
Their tale begins in the Licevaathira, the Legendary Plane.
What follows is their story.

Welcome to Runlance! While relearning the game in Adventure Mode, I figured I might as well play in Fortress Mode too. This is a Succession Fort, so all the normal rules and procedures are in place. One week turns, one in-game year, no deliberate fortress ruining, ect.

The world is a pocket sized world with 1500 years of history and an above average number of Megabeasts and Titans. All non-Goblin civs are dead, and the Goblins too only number around 1400. So the dwarves we start out with and receive with the two hardcoded migrations in the first year are all we're gonna get. Dwarves are our number one commodity.

Spoiler: The World (click to show/hide)

This Succession Fort will also have a long term goal: to reach a population of 200 Dwarves living in the Fort. Maybe unrealistic, but it gives us something to work towards.

Spoiler: Rules (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: List of Comrades (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Archive (click to show/hide)

May the Dwarves of Runlance prosper and their beards never dry.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 11:40:56 pm by TheImmortalRyukan »
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
Re: The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2021, 02:37:23 pm »

Journal of Alath "Ryu" Armorsensed, Expedition Leader and Overseer
1st of Hematite, 1500

So me and the lads finally decided to settle here in this valley. It as tough, getting here that is. So many dead and lost. Urist's party was the worst, that damned goblin ambush. But we seven survived and here is where we'll carve our home.

Having been elected this year's overseer, an ancient tradition of the old Mountainhomes or something like that, I order some initial lodgings to be delved.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It ain't much, just some basic rooms for storage and maybe a dorm, if bedrooms take too long to carve. Bedrooms will go on the next level I think.

It only takes a few days for the first signs of civilization to take shape here in Runlance (the lads apparently held a vote on the name in the first week.) We have some food storage and a few workshops to begin producing doors and beds.

My next concern was food. Our supplies were already thin and we only had a few seeds to plant. I noticed the valley floor was wooded and fertile, so assumed we'd find good soil around the river, so I ordered a tunnel from the main camp, under the river, and up again beside it. This would, as they say, be far easier said than done. Just as the miners were hitting the underside of the river, I began to receive reports of damp stone. I told them to ignore it, as they were under the river. However I then began to receive reports of standing water in the tunnels. This had me worried, but it wasn't much water, so the excavation of the farms went ahead as planned. Also we struck a bit of gold while mining, making a few of our more materialistic lads salivate.

It was later that week, as we were excavating the bedrooms, that more disturbing reports were made.

Spoiler: bedrooms (click to show/hide)

The entire farm area was under water, and the water was rising. So I quickly ordered some channels dug on either side of the room to try and drain it.

And that is when we discovered it. As a few tiles were mined away, the stone erupted forth large quantities of water and flooded the newly dug spaces near instantly. We had embarked upon an aquifer.

I immediately ordered the entire farm area scrapped and ordered a stairway dug near to the surface to establish a farm there. The risk of tree roots opening up unplanned skylights was nothing on the very real possibility of starving to death.

To mitigate flooding in the short term, I ordered a small cistern dug in the hallway. the cistern is three levels deep and completely channeled in the middle, meaning that water that trickles down from the old farm area should fill it up slowly.

Spoiler: Cistern interior (click to show/hide)

Outside of that little adventure, spring passed fairly quickly and uneventfully. The main lodgings have almost been dug out, and everyone has a basic bedroom. Farms are just now being set up and planted, and we have an actual door seperating us from the outside world now. Won't stop anything bigger than a cat, but it does pprovide us that basic sense of security. For once, the Dwarves of the North Mirrors have a home.

Spoiler: Main Floor (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Residence Floor (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Spring Z Screen (click to show/hide)

If any of you want some dorfs, here's the current list of inhabitants of our lovely Fort.

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2021, 03:16:35 am »

PTW
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 02:36:53 pm »

Depending on my schedule, I might be able to take a turn.  I've been wanting to play around with a Dying World.

In the future, I'd suggest expanding into the ruins, as that should allow the civilization to regrow.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2021, 04:16:08 pm »

Depending on my schedule, I might be able to take a turn.  I've been wanting to play around with a Dying World.

In the future, I'd suggest expanding into the ruins, as that should allow the civilization to regrow.

Alrighty, consider yourself up next! I should have Summer and Autumn up by tonight

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 05:20:39 pm »

Sounds fun, I'm in.
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2021, 09:41:15 am »

Journal of Alath "Ryu" Armorsensed, Expedition Leader and Overseer
1st of Moonstone, 1500

This Summer and Autumn were spent dealing with the Aquifer problem. The main issue being that to access to the farms from the fort, you had to go past the River. The River bisects the valley's stony side from the fertile forest on the other. So farming isn't feasible from this side. And to get through to the farms, you had to pass through an Aquifer, one that was through sand and quickly filling up our existing tunnels. If I didn't act fast, our access to the food stocks would vanish, and that ain't good in anyone's book. So, as the makeshift cistern filled up to the top, I ordered the hallway blocked off.

I then decided, if I couldn't access the farms from below, I'd access them from above. So I began planning and ordering the construction of a sky bridge. It begins on the Bedroom floor and will go over the river, and then down a staircase into the Farms.

I was worried about our lack of dorfpower being a problem, but lo and behold, a group of four dwarves arrived at the Fort today, begging to be let in. We were all so overjoyed at seeing more of our kin.

Four Dwarves arrived, among them was an armorer and another miner. I set the Armorer to finally build a Smith, and the Miner to help our mason cut blocks for the bridge. For now, the access to the farms is literally a staircase in the ground, accessible to anyone. Should we get any nasty surprises, we're boned. But on the bright side, our first harvest was around this time.

The rest of Summer passed relatively uneventfully. But at the onset of August, we received an odd sight.

Some of the Dwarves wondered at the lack of a liason. I wondered where the Hell did the caravan come from at all. Alas, we have no items to trade, so the Traders spend a month in the depot before departing as they arrived.

About a month or so after that, we received even more dwarves . Bringing our total number up to 19. (I asked, yes Children do count, useless cunts.)

Towards the end of Autumn, the Sky Bridge was basically finished. It lead all the way to the Farms and had walls and a roof for roughly a third of it. Also, my Quarters got smoothed. I mean, I am the Overseer as well as Bookkeeper and Manager. I need a place to work damnit.

Then we got a huge scare at the end of autumn.

Stukos the Farmer swears he saw an "Army of the Dead" while walking along the bridge. I quickly ordered the fort locked down and the Entrance Bridge closed. But after a while, nothing happened. I went out onto the bridge, and saw nothing. I lowered the Bridge, and went out looking with some of the Miners. We found nothing but a Piglet that had been brutally slaughtered, and alot of upturned grass around it. Something was here, but it didn't stick around. This quickly ends the festive mood in the fort, as the grim realities of our world finally begin to catch up with us.

Here are some drawings of the Fort at the start of Winter.

Spoiler: Main Floor (click to show/hide)

There are some grumblings about "an election" of some sort. I say bah! to that. I ain't acting like no damned Noble. Now where's that Big gem I ordered....

I don't know what the whole deal about the Dead walk was. I searched everywhere and found nothing but a quick combat log with some Experiment and the piglet. Anyways, Winter update to come shortly.

Feel free to request Dorfings.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 10:07:21 am by TheImmortalRyukan »

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2021, 02:04:06 pm »

/in as player

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2021, 04:13:26 am »

If your giving out free dwarves I'll take one.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2021, 08:44:42 am »

I too will take a dorf. A miner I guess?
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2021, 02:07:57 pm »

What tileset are you using?  I quite like it!

I don't know what the whole deal about the Dead walk was. I searched everywhere and found nothing but a quick combat log with some Experiment and the piglet. Anyways, Winter update to come shortly.

I can answer that.  The Experiment are Frankenstein Monsters, aka they're dead people reanimated.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2021, 11:58:40 pm »

Ironhand, never leave home without it!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2021, 08:56:40 pm »

The graphics look nice, but I can't stand the text.  It's too thin!

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2021, 10:10:18 pm »

The graphics look nice, but I can't stand the text.  It's too thin!

I use TWBT, as annoying as getting it to work in LNP is lately

Edit: final update later tonight or tomorrow morning.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2021, 12:09:21 am »

PTW - looks neat so far!

I'll also take a dorfing, if you have an extra. Anyone is fine.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 09:20:21 am by delphonso »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15