Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2851253 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1335 on: December 21, 2018, 01:39:06 pm »

If i were to, say, establish a temple for one of these newfangled religions in my fort, would that count towards their advancement to the next tier of priesthood?

What about deities that dont have a religion associated with them yet? What happens if i establish a temple for them?

We still cant establish a prophecy and thus a religion ourselves in any way, right? But can new prophets can crop up during play? Can my dorfs become a prophet, so i can establish their temple?

And to what extent do these religious organizations interact with civ/site governments? Irl, you have things like state sponsored or mandated religions, or bans on certain/all religions, or generally disagreements between religious believers and governments, or other faiths, that dont tolerate each other. Is that possibly coming this release as well, or will we have to wait for that?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 03:49:10 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Death Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: December 22, 2018, 05:14:08 am »

If i were to, say, establish a temple for one of these newfangled religions in my fort, would that count towards their advancement to the next tier of priesthood?

What about deities that dont have a religion associated with them yet? What happens if i establish a temple for them?
I asked some similar questions earlier. I don't think the current fort mode temples have anything to do with religions right now, only with specific gods. Not sure if Toady is going to change that for the update.

downwithgdi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: December 22, 2018, 02:39:51 pm »

With the upcoming (ha) release of the Myths and Magic update, do you have plans to implement better awareness/simulation of body changes for magically altered creatures? As of right now, the only hint of symptoms given from magical effects are on the description screen, and usually hardly do it justice.

For instance, if a creature's body size changes because of a magic effect, can you expect to see a prompt such as 'everything seems to get smaller/larger' in the action log?

falcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: December 23, 2018, 12:51:00 pm »

1. Can you expand some more on how vermin-sized creatures/pets work as of now?  I know you can move cave spiders into a specific room in fort mode and they'll keep existing there and spinning webs. But does that already happen in adventure mode? Do they unload with the rest of the site, or can you catch cave spiders and start them spinning useless webs in your wooden tower already? Will it be different for the spiders you start adventure mode with if you get that sort of vermin pet? Your important trained spider. What about other sites like catacombs that keep track of the items you've left in them?

2. Is a vermin pet going to attack in any circumstance, on your shoulder or off, and does that mean assassins can now let a poisonous spider into a room if NPCs don't also have pets that can attack such a small creature? Can your pet-caused deaths be tracked to you as a crime, or through syndromes made by pets you own? If you dump a bunch of barrel penetrating vermin into a shop will it be recognized as the new industrial sabotage crime since those items are otherwise tracked for thefts kind of? If a cleaning ability is modded on to a vermin will it activate it, either on the ground or not? What about, say, raising the dead?

I hadn't thought of it until now but vermin are kind of overpowered in adventure mode even before this release if they're actually tracked. But I guess that's why turkeys and chickens are always around. They're very helpful always scratching in the mud. Saving lives. But if someone slipped the monastery cats some beer and they all passed out the Most Holy Sky is going to be getting replaced pretty regularly. Then Sherlock Holmes will show up and notice that the snake literally has your name on it, foiling your perfect plot.

3. Will you be able to milk a purring maggot? I guess there's more work involved in making it so you can actually get purring maggots in the first place, since they don't work right now. But if you got them, the milk is right there. Not to mention the other animals you can presumably milk.

3a. Will we be able to milk our cows?
Not as important as the purring maggot, because anybody could run off with that cow, but you're going to be protecting that maggot right on your person most of the time.

4. Since adventurers are getting some medical stuff, would starting with a pet cave spider instead of, say, a sword give them one-up on bandaging themselves? I'm going to need that if I'm scratched to hell from fighting while dizzy after catching all these cave spiders

5. To expand on an old question: since we already have the carpenter's workshop in adventure mode anyway could we start making cages and caging up animals we already own? Could we dedicate an area as a zoo in our sinister bandit fort, since all these nice adventurers will be dropping by to stop us now?

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #1339 on: December 24, 2018, 11:06:28 am »

Whoa, early devlog(or late, but I cannot blame him it took a while to write all of that down).

I guess we now have an inkling of what a corrupted Sheriff may look like, and it seems guild will be having some resources of their own, at the least, during worldgen. I wonder if the alderman is the new name for guild representatives(in which case they might very much represent the modern notion of a alderman, a type of municipal council member dedicated to a specific area of government, like culture, law, etc), or just a fancy word for senior guild member.

Also interesting to see that this gang primarily focuses on corruption instead of the more violent gang activities. It makes sense, and it's nice to see that so fleshed out.

I guess we'll see :3
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: December 24, 2018, 11:40:02 pm »

I assume the villain network map in the devblog is a new one we can export from Legends, right?

How extensive is the Legends data for villaneous goings on? Is it all accessible from Legends Mode and exportable to XML? Will we be able to check which corrupt officials brought about the downfall of our fortress in between games, or is some of the Hidden Fun permanently Hidden?

Also, come Fortress mode implementation, will firing of position holders for corrupt behaviour be simply left up to the player to implement, or will authority figures amongst the dorfs decide for us? Can nobles like barons be stripped of their rank by the mountain home in a similar way (in worldgen and within a player fortress)?

Finally, in the devblog you mentioned that:
"Earthhells tried to get her mother the militia commander to join up, but she was having none of it and never trusted her wayward daughter again."
Is that an actual thing (grudges/bad relationship forming due to failed corruption bids) or just a story embellishment?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 11:51:06 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Death Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: December 25, 2018, 04:05:40 am »

This latest devlog is amazing me. It seems to bring some great new material for randomly generated stories. People like Kruggsmash will probably have a field day with it.
Together with the fact that I just saw the first LotR movie again yesterday, I'm pretty damn hyped for this update.

I wonder if the alderman is the new name for guild representatives(in which case they might very much represent the modern notion of a alderman, a type of municipal council member dedicated to a specific area of government, like culture, law, etc), or just a fancy word for senior guild member.
He made it sound like a pretty important title in a guild. I wonder if the name is static or if it is randomly picked like with those new random titles he added in one of the last devlogs.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: December 25, 2018, 04:14:14 am »

We've had very little mentioned about what a guild actually does, outside of the kind of prequisites from a while back on the kind of values it needs in order to root itself in a society. Probably what Toady's moving onto now if he's suitably fufilled with his progress on petty non grandeur/organised crime villiany.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: December 25, 2018, 04:14:46 am »

Do the guildmasters have generated position titles too? If so, are they based on the type of guild?

Death Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: December 26, 2018, 06:30:07 am »

Kinda similar to something Shonai asked above:
From the latest devlog:
"Lomoth, fond of scheming and idly wishing to become wealthy and powerful ..."
"Aban was an extravagant sort, and given to flights of fancy, so ..."
"... Earthhells was able to play on her father's bond of love as well as his greed."
Will these bits of explanation be listed in the information in legends mode or did you only get them through your debugging tools?

bieux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: December 26, 2018, 04:58:48 pm »

I found it interesting how Aban tried to convince many of her familly members to crime, maybe because her familly mostly got on board, or maybe because Aban did received backlash from her familly. Thus, I would like to ask:

EDIT: I'm modifying my question so it may be more relevant and unique, although I'm not sure I have the time for it.

Don't know if talking people into crime actually gives bad consequences to the criminal, but considering they do, what are the possible bad outcomes from doing this, besides losing a relationship from someone? Can it go so bad as for the criminal to be exposed, or beaten? Will people lead unconvincing criminals to justice?

Also, if affirmative, will the criminals just stand there and take the consequences or will they try to escape or elliminate the threats they might have caused?

« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 07:07:31 am by bieux »

Death Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: December 27, 2018, 10:08:22 am »

She did receive backlash from her mother though. Shonai basically asked the same question 5 posts above yours.

Hapchazzard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: December 28, 2018, 12:10:55 pm »

1. Will sufficiently successful schemers and network-builders sometimes try and weasel their way into positions of official power? For example, the blacksmith in the latest story trying to become the 'royal goldsmith' or something like that, and having direct access to more powerful people, as well as opening doors to further advancement.

2. Assuming that villains will try and hoard artifacts (if their beliefs are appropriate), how will they store them if they don't have some kind of 'lair' (castle, for example)? Again, let's take the blacksmith as an example - if she stole some artifact sword through her network, would she just plop it down in her small house and forget about it?

3. Is any kind of simple economic stratification planned for the villain release? Nothing impressive, as I realize that the bulk of the more complex work is reserved for the law arc, but at least having affluent people have more impressive abodes, clothing, etc. It would somewhat tie into the villain system - i.e. impoverished folks being more susceptible to paltry bribes, villains working their way up into a more ostentatious lifestyle, nobles having nice homes in cities, castles/fortresses being various levels of extravagant based on the prestige and wealth of their holder, etc.

4.There were mentions of there being a setting for the 'bleakness' of the world. I can see how such a setting would affect the magic of the world, but will it also significantly affect the non-magical components of the world as well, such as civilizations being harsher and more xenophobic, people in charge tending to be more ruthless and amoral, natural savagery being higher on average, etc.?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: December 28, 2018, 12:45:32 pm »

@Hapchazzard:
3: I very much doubt it. Stratification is built on economics and social stuff like laws and customs, so shoehorning some temporary structure in seems to be a fair bit of work for a fairly meager benefit, especially given that this villainy semi-arc is already getting rather long.

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: December 29, 2018, 02:06:45 pm »

1. Will religious art commissioned for temples just be art depicting the past actions of a deity or any scene involving them?
2. If our bone carving adventurers create figurines depicting a deity would followers of that deity recognize the art in question as religious?
3. Would pieces of art depicting a deity be more valuable trading wise in a holy city dedicated to that deity?
4. With prophets being able to convert large portions of civilizations will religions themselves gain their own sets of values like civilizations have? This could make for some good religious civil wars.
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 389