Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850115 times)

Urist McSadist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4110 on: July 04, 2021, 04:40:17 am »

Are there any plans to add more depth to offscreen battles in the near future? Maybe take powers besides necromancy into account?

Nilsolm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4111 on: July 12, 2021, 07:56:22 am »

I've been trying to work out what may be causing the migrants profession weirdness; specifically animal caretakers and herbalists being overrepresented in migrant waves, which is an issue I've been running into a lot since the last update. I have some questions regarding that:

1. In v.47.05, there were changes to the balance of migrants professions according to the changelog. Can you give an outline of what exactly was changed?

2. More generally, what determines the kind of migrants you get? I know it's supposed to be based on the availability of professions/skills at the player's fort and histfigs would be prioritised if possible. But can other factors have an indirect influence, like the age of the world or what little economy is simulated currently?

3. Under what circumstances do histfigs switch to another civilisation? I've noticed that nearly all of these animal caretakers and herbalists are former citizens of elven sites. I presume the reason there are so many of them is because they run over to the player's civ and then show up in migrant waves, but I am not really sure what causes them to do so.

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4112 on: July 12, 2021, 08:39:25 am »

1. In v.47.05, there were changes to the balance of migrants professions according to the changelog. Can you give an outline of what exactly was changed?

I await the reply along with you, but that part I can speak to. I was asked to provide some common complaints from newer players and redditors generally with 47.04, and your concerns about professions were on my list. The changes were intended to fix the excessive imbalance of herbalists and animal caretakers in previous versions. It does not appear to have worked out, alas.
Team Bug Fix!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4113 on: July 12, 2021, 10:22:00 am »

If you reduce their ability to skill-level animal caretaker & herbalism (herbalism is shared with memory as a added boon) then they're less likely to rely on it in w.g. and thus own the job less , speculatively just like how Toady snipped social skills many version back onto 42. leading to a great influx of totally introvert dwarves that required a eventual change to how they pathed to one another he could have changed the coded baseline rate.

There's no actual developer list of each dwarf's potential stat growth, but i guess its one of those recurring complaints when a dwarf at normal amounts plus is 140% efficient at doing a thing (minus in game circumstance, focused, unfocused, stunned, bad stats) without any input that you might expect to find in d_init to no luck.

ArrowheadArcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Obsessed with !!Carp!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4114 on: July 14, 2021, 11:44:41 pm »

When are weather systems, basic ones, coming?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4115 on: July 15, 2021, 01:10:55 am »

The game does, in fact, have a rather in-depth weather simulation that you never see.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4116 on: July 15, 2021, 03:01:44 am »

The game does, in fact, have a rather in-depth weather simulation that you never see.

Well, most of the conditions are visible from arena mode which has a fully fluid control panel for setting it up however you like, though the most obvious form in previous versions is the inclusion of "Evil Rain" that especially culminates in one place but can barrage through the weather simulation longer distances away from its origin point.

The flow of how other much more mundane weather reaches you is actually affected by these though like snowstorms in the desert you might not initially realise it at first isn't attached to biome with factors like temperature twiddling the likelyhood of these a little, but the overall feel of the passage of time and world mechanics is more prevalent in adventure mode rather than eternally lit fortress mode anyway if you fancied yourself a cloud watcher.

Still wish there was more excuse to coat things in ground fog (that doesnt do something horrible like evil-fog variants) so that kobolds and snatchers could stand half a chance of getting into your fort when the map sight conditions are poor, choosing a moment to strike.

ArrowheadArcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Obsessed with !!Carp!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4117 on: July 15, 2021, 08:44:29 pm »

I think what I mean is more stuff like lightning storms, hurricanes, tornados. More dynamic weather systems in general for the player to face. Even randomly erupting volcanoes for volcano biomes would be interesting. Biomes don't feel alive, they feel rather static, with only animal populations changing/going extinct. Even simple stuff like changing temperature over years, cloudy weather which can affect said temperature, and player actions like cutting down forests could raise temperatures. An ecology update would be amazing for DF if the time comes.       

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4118 on: July 16, 2021, 05:31:46 am »

I think what I mean is more stuff like lightning storms, hurricanes, tornados. More dynamic weather systems in general for the player to face. Even randomly erupting volcanoes for volcano biomes would be interesting. Biomes don't feel alive, they feel rather static, with only animal populations changing/going extinct. Even simple stuff like changing temperature over years, cloudy weather which can affect said temperature, and player actions like cutting down forests could raise temperatures. An ecology update would be amazing for DF if the time comes.       

And yes, its more over that way of direction too of the ideas subforum to elaborate if you want to on advanced weather. Because a likely Toady response would be "sounds cool, but havent thought about it recently" if affronted with things way over upcoming arc's or development.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4119 on: July 17, 2021, 07:21:46 am »

So about the Myth & Magic arc and what I understand about the cutoff between mundane and magical worlds...

Will there be a niche for relatively "mundane", human-only worlds which still have a certain amount of magic and unusual creatures here and there (something like Song of Ice and Fire/GoT), or does the presence of magic automatically imply nonhuman civs by extension?
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4120 on: July 17, 2021, 11:58:57 am »

So about the Myth & Magic arc and what I understand about the cutoff between mundane and magical worlds...

Will there be a niche for relatively "mundane", human-only worlds which still have a certain amount of magic and unusual creatures here and there (something like Song of Ice and Fire/GoT), or does the presence of magic automatically imply nonhuman civs by extension?
It would be odd if that wouldn't be a possibility. The magic sliders shouldn't be directly tied to the weirdness ones, so it ought to also be possible to play as slimes (or whatever, including elves) in an otherwise non magical world where the gods are not real.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4121 on: July 17, 2021, 08:22:35 pm »

I think I found the cause of the floating down-ramps after shroom trees are cut down bug.

The algorithm for removing trees always puts a down-ramp over an up-ramp, even if that up-ramp is part of the tree to be removed. It should either ignore the type of up-ramp used by shroom trees, or ignore one that's part of the same tree (if it's possible for trees to overlap in such a way.)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

leastannoyingman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4122 on: July 18, 2021, 12:18:23 pm »

This is something discovered by WindComeCalling and submitted as a bug:

DF includes two weird factor of 10 discrepancies that cancel out. Everything is ten times as small as it should be (except weapons and a few others), but everything is ten times as dense as it should be (again except weapons), so upon first inspection it's all fine. But this makes cloth denser than real-world lead, and seeds deadlier than real-world bullets (known bug). To fix this, you would reverse the changes: multiply the size of almost everything by 10 and remove the hidden factor of 10 multiplier on density when calculating weight.

TL;DR: Will everything be made bigger and less dense, and why is it like this in the first place?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4123 on: July 21, 2021, 06:16:05 am »

I don't have any clue as to what causes an artist to elect to join a performance troupe versus striking out on their own, unless a MERCENARY tag match means "seek work/visit alone", while artists that don't match that tag join troupes/mercenary companies. Humans seem to be split between the two avenues of artistic expression, while elves seem stuck on only one (on the other hand, almost all human mercs get locked up in merc companies and thus lost to fortresses to the lament of some players, while the remainder tend to start as questers and sometimes switch over to mercs, but rather few of those are seen).

Some side context from reading up on troupes some more is that apparently elves will confess to being members of troupes as their personal scheme-association when investigated while innocent of any schemes to steal or corrupt anyone. Ill write up a issue report if i see it myself next time im in-game with a functioning counter-intelligence, but right now getting the crimes to happen with pretty chill dwarves to access the screen is difficult.

Troupes would be then peer-pressuring others (they dont have much issue convincing your dwarves to revolt en-masse, other elves would be cakewalk) in the adventuerer pool into joining them and coming to your fort in a pseudo scheme-plot to... annoy your dwarves with poetry, rooty-tooty flutes and energetic dance routines.

What labor a race does is normally full attributed to weight on skill grind & personality stats (which i contributed to my answer on the labor survey, races are far too perfected to fit roles it hurts roleplay of someone being bad at their job in w.g), so i think its probably a mixture of my previous answer of attributes with this intrigue grouping bug too.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 08:06:00 am by FantasticDorf »

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4124 on: July 23, 2021, 06:13:05 am »

I can't recall if I had already asked this at some point, or only thought to. Sorry if it's a duplicate:
Is it possible to breed mega-beasts, supposing there was a viable pair?
In a fort I once had, I captured a giant and was hoping to build an army if I ever captured a giantess.
I ask as in the same fortress I had then captured a pair of cave trolls hoping to do the same, though they never took.
I can see the obscenity in attempting to breed sapient humanoids, though to my understanding, the goblins treat trolls much like this.
I often inadvertently produce little troglodyte-lings in my prisons and was wondering if there was anything that prevented it in other cases.

Whilst writing the above, I had thought of another question:
Do humanoid creatures (such as ogres, giants, and animal people) belong to a civilization, and therefore perhaps have 'cultures' or are they considered wildlife?
If they do, can they become things like heroes, warriors or musicians during world-gen?

My questions have been answered!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 05:42:00 pm by kontako »
"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 389