Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 335 336 [337] 338 339 ... 391

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2915440 times)

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5040 on: December 09, 2022, 04:10:32 am »

1.Right now modded creatures without textures show up as the debug creature, which can be annoying. Will this get changed?

It's got to show up as some thing. What would you rather it be?

Not the original poster, but to be honest, showing up as a graphic resembling its given ASCII tile (and using the given ASCII color) would be a good alternative. That way there's at least some information about what it is, instead of all non-sprited creatures being identical.
I expect a tiny letter flittering about by itself would be completely lost in amongst the other graphics.

I'm pretty happy with the test creature. Means I can test my game before Classic is released and have fun trying to work out if that's a bunch of happy party Hobbit's heading towards the fortress or a herd of evil hippos.

Maybe give the test creature a T-shirt with the ascii symbol clearly printed on it?

Why said it would be tiny? I didn't mean literally use the actual letters the game uses right now, I meant adding full-sized, 32x32 creature graphics that resemble ASCII letters. Well, a little smaller than 32x32 for the lowercase ones, but you get my point.

RedBanditDzhugashvili

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5041 on: December 09, 2022, 05:45:20 am »

I enjoy exploring Legends Mode and I often notice that people often have hundreds of relationships that only last 2-10 years or so, and never just settle down with one person that is a good match for them and who they "love" until they die. It's kind of depressing honestly. I think it would make for better storytelling to have more serious or long lasting relationships, eg. two people have been married for 50 years and one of them is killed/kidnapped by a monster or something, and the other gives up their comfy life in the hamlet to go search for/avenge them. It's just more dramatic. So, is there any plan to make relationships or marriages longer lasting/permanent (given the right circumstances)? I also think displaying the reason for break ups/divorces would be good as well.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5042 on: December 09, 2022, 05:52:41 am »

I enjoy exploring Legends Mode and I often notice that people often have hundreds of relationships that only last 2-10 years or so, and never just settle down with one person that is a good match for them and who they "love" until they die. It's kind of depressing honestly. I think it would make for better storytelling to have more serious or long lasting relationships, eg. two people have been married for 50 years and one of them is killed/kidnapped by a monster or something, and the other gives up their comfy life in the hamlet to go search for/avenge them. It's just more dramatic. So, is there any plan to make relationships or marriages longer lasting/permanent (given the right circumstances)? I also think displaying the reason for break ups/divorces would be good as well.
Read further. Long lasting marriages do exist.
All depends on the personalities of those involved.

TinFoilTopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5043 on: December 09, 2022, 01:45:33 pm »

I know that fees and taxes and whatnot probably take a sizable chunk out of your sales revenue, but it looks like you just made a boatload of cash. Any fun plans for the money? DF-related or not.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 07:48:20 pm by TinFoilTopHat »

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
  • , who choked on [PRO_POS] own ambition!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5044 on: December 09, 2022, 04:50:35 pm »

Congratulations on a successful Premium launch and thank you for granting Workshop support to set modders (and players) up for even more fun.
The CUT and SELECT tags you introduced for us are great. However, a couple of these tags are not currently included in the base game, but apply to raw-moddable files. The raw files lacking appropriate CUT or SELECT tags are:
body folder (all files) :  b_detail_plan_default, body_default, body_rcp, tissue_template_default
creature folder: c_variation_default
materials folder: material_template
and the following one which i'm personally less concerned about:
building folder: building (only applies to the two vanilla custom buildings, screw press + soaper, anyway)
Why this matters:
If i want to make changes to, say, the c_variation_default file, I can't currently do that, and furthermore its in the same folder with all the creature files and have to ask my players to instead unload the entire Vanilla Creature Objects folder, with all its creatures.
Are there any plans to introduce appropriate CUT and SELECT tags for these raw files?
The Highfantasy Mod/Pack. Civs, Creatures, Systems, Balance.

Fi

• Bay Watcher
  • φ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5045 on: December 09, 2022, 08:55:23 pm »

Regarding a particular game mode, out of sheer curiosity since I personally don't know much about Dwarf Fortress's development, why is Adventure Mode always at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to updates in comparison to Fortress Mode, Legends Mode, and possibly Arena Mode?

Even before Dwarf Fortress's very successful release on both itch.io and Steam, congratulations by the way—got me a copy on Steam as soon as it became available, Adventure Mode was always last to receive the amount of attention Fortress Mode receives and now it's yet again last to receive updates and implementation into the premium version of Dwarf Fortress.

It's my favorite game mode, so I can't help but wonder, but thanks for all that you and your brother do. I'm very much looking forward to Dwarf Fortress's bright future now that its premium variant has been released.

E: Thought I clicked the right color, but I guess I misclicked something on my browser. I know someone gave me a response, but I prefer one from Toady—if possible—since he knows his own game and could explain what may or may not affect Adventure Mode (or something else by changing Adventure mode first) during development.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 05:27:10 pm by Fi »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5046 on: December 09, 2022, 09:40:50 pm »

Regarding a particular game mode, out of sheer curiosity since I personally don't know much about Dwarf Fortress's development, why is Adventure Mode always at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to updates in comparison to Fortress Mode, Legends Mode, and possibly Arena Mode?

Even before Dwarf Fortress's very successful release on both itch.io and Steam, congratulations by the way—got me a copy on Steam as soon as it became available, Adventure Mode was always last to receive the amount of attention Fortress Mode receives and now it's yet again last to receive updates and implementation into the premium version of Dwarf Fortress.

It's my favorite game mode, so I can't help but wonder, but thanks for all that you and your brother do. I'm very much looking forward to Dwarf Fortress's bright future now that its premium variant has been released.

1) Questions to Toady in Lime Green

2) Precisely because Adventurer is going to get the time and attention it deserves, it has been delayed. The Villains update which will restart once Steam settles down a bit adds a whole new layer to Adventurer. Things have never been better really.
Toady could have taken the time and had it ready on release, in 6 months time or so, but decided Fortress was commercially viable by itself for the initial release right now. And apparently he was right.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5047 on: December 09, 2022, 09:56:01 pm »

I'm seeing some changes in worldgen between 47.05 and 50.02 in my modded world. Mostly that my one incredibly aggressive expansionist city building civ is not expanding (as you'd expect them to do in 90% of worlds generated in previous version) and they are content to found a couple of sites then build tombs until they go extinct. Same raws, same worldgen settings, no errors in copying stuff across as far as I can see. Just...different.

What kind of adjustments were made to worldgen balance this time that might affect the rate at which civs spread out? Maybe some necromancer nerfs or something?

--edit
After some fiddling about I found that adding Indoor/outdoor_farming gets them working again. I assume this is additions/fixes to the economy working behind the scenes. So generally is anything else interesting going on behind the scene during worldgen?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 04:51:31 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5048 on: December 09, 2022, 10:19:50 pm »

Looks like Steam/Itch has been a massive success (Grats!).  After you have established a health care fund, have you considered using some of the extra money to hire professional programming help?  Either to ease your workload or help clean & optimize the code.

Edit: Can you elaborate on what Putnam will be doing over the coming months? - Do you have plans to hire additional help in the near future? - Have you been receiving feedback about QoL changes to the UI? (tomb zones, report history, etc.)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2022, 11:25:09 am by Immortal-D »

Urist McSadist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5049 on: December 10, 2022, 04:24:49 am »

1.Right now modded creatures without textures show up as the debug creature, which can be annoying. Will this get changed?

It's got to show up as some thing. What would you rather it be?
I would prefer it to show an ASCII tile

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5050 on: December 10, 2022, 08:24:02 am »

I can totally see how you'd thing that from recent dev cycles, but the normal cycle is 70% Legend, 20% Adventure, and "Oh, we should probably put out a release!" 10% Fortress-- "Didn't get everything we wanted done, but we had to release. Maybe we'll get around to putting those new Adventure features in Fortress one day!"
Team Bug Fix!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5051 on: December 10, 2022, 09:53:36 am »

I can totally see how you'd thing that from recent dev cycles, but the normal cycle is 70% Legend, 20% Adventure, and "Oh, we should probably put out a release!" 10% Fortress-- "Didn't get everything we wanted done, but we had to release. Maybe we'll get around to putting those new Adventure features in Fortress one day!"

Indeed, I still don't know why night trolls never appear in fortress mode.

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5052 on: December 10, 2022, 10:42:26 am »

I know that fees and taxes and whatnot probably take a sizable chunk out of your sales revenue, but it looks like you just made a boatload of cash. Any fun plans for the money? DF-related or not.

Yeah, excuse me? For reference, you've botched the colour formatting somewhat, there - needs to be more like this.

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5053 on: December 10, 2022, 10:49:29 am »

Looks like Steam/Itch has been a massive success (Grats!).  After you have established a health care fund, have you considered using some of the extra money to hire professional programming help?  Either to ease your workload or help clean & optimize the code.

Knowing Toady's intent somewhat, from a recent AMA on Reddit, the proverbial pendulum appears to be swinging in the direction of the latter option.

Su

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Angel Island Zone
« Reply #5054 on: December 11, 2022, 01:28:23 pm »

we saw someone on the kitfox discord say that the reason labor management was changed was because you don't want us to be able to micromanage our dwarves. is this a true sentiment, or were they just salty?

[we quite liked the degree of control we had in the old system, so if it was intentionally removed and WONTFIX'd rather than an unexpected side effect of the new one... well, we'd be a little sad.]

what has collaborating with fans been like? will mike and the others be continuing to provide assets as development continues?
Pages: 1 ... 335 336 [337] 338 339 ... 391