Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 361 362 [363] 364 365 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2851559 times)

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5430 on: May 27, 2023, 12:18:03 am »

Why can't I find the filter options for assigning units to zones (such as showing only grazing animals for pastures)?

That’s because that’s something that’s provided by DFHack, not the vanilla game.

Edit:  added link.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 12:19:54 am by A_Curious_Cat »
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5431 on: May 29, 2023, 04:07:01 pm »

1. What's left on the to do list before work porting adventure mode over to the steam version can begin? Adventure mode was always my favorite mode.
2. Over the updates between now and the myth and magic update will any other minor magical activities/effects be added similar to the divination dice that were added a while back?

Vanzetti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5432 on: May 30, 2023, 08:34:12 am »

Are you satisfied with the way magma currently behaves? Were you ever interested in making it more realistic? For example, people can not sink into real magma, as it is roughly two to three times more dense than living tissue.

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5433 on: May 30, 2023, 08:39:36 pm »

1. What's left on the to do list before work porting adventure mode over to the steam version can begin? Adventure mode was always my favorite mode.

Blind's most recent interview with Tarn and Zach on adventure mode.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kanUBppoQpQ&t=5419s

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5434 on: June 03, 2023, 05:56:19 pm »

Are you satisfied with the way magma currently behaves? Were you ever interested in making it more realistic? For example, people can not sink into real magma, as it is roughly two to three times more dense than living tissue.

That might come with boats and moving fort sections, since wood needs to float on water.

Hopefully magma will also have columns of hot air above it for various purposes.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 06:00:39 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5435 on: June 03, 2023, 06:00:39 pm »

If gorlaks have the [BENIGN] tag and are supposed to be peaceful, sociable creatures, why are gorlaks that come from the caverns technically marked as hostile?

Edit:  got tags confused.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 07:03:50 pm by A_Curious_Cat »
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5436 on: June 03, 2023, 06:39:20 pm »

If gorlaks have the [GOOD] tag and are supposed to be peaceful, sociable creatures, why are gorlaks that come from the caverns technically marked as hostile?

Unicorns have a [GOOD] tag, and I would not describe them as particularly friendly.  What you're likely more concerned about is their [BENIGN] tag, and why they're still listed as hostile.  I would hazard a guess that this has something to do with ensuring that they set off traps, when they step on them.  As opposed to say, normal visitors.

Edit: Trimmed the amount of text.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 07:47:16 pm by dikbutdagrate »

sofanthiel

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #5437 on: June 03, 2023, 10:40:21 pm »

I just wanna preface my question by saying that there are !!SPOILERS AHEAD!!.  I haven't seen any forum guidelines regarding this sorta thing, but better safe than sorry!  :D

Currently, the underworld is a giant cave with demons and eerie glowing pits that sometimes connects to the upperworld through towers in dark fortresses.  It's rather bland compared to other parts of the game.

Do you have any plans for the underworld pre-magic, after which it will (presumably) be overhauled and left completely up to world generation?  For example, adding something valuable there to make it worth venturing into?  Or maybe creating underworld structures like fortresses/pits with cages and other evil contraptions of hellish depravityTM?
I forgot my love of rolling down the hill on the lawn.
I never noticed it until it was gone.

BlueManedHawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Does you is not can the have the yet what do it be
    • View Profile
« Reply #5438 on: June 04, 2023, 11:59:05 am »

I just wanna preface my question by saying that there are !!SPOILERS AHEAD!!.  I haven't seen any forum guidelines regarding this sorta thing, but better safe than sorry!  :D

The nature of how humans read is that we're always processing text a little bit behind what we're reading; this means that when we stop reading, there's still a little bit of text that we've already read, but which our brains are still processing.  This means that when dealing with infohazards such as massive spoilers that can cause serious harm to those not inoculated to them, you cannot get away with simply putting a warning at the forefront of a text; you must obfuscate the information in some way.  Otherwise, by the time one has finished processing the warning about the spoilers, they'll already have seen a bit of the spoilers.  While the forum software provides collapsible spoiler blocks (insertible via the little yellow-and-black circle in the text editor's toolbar, which admittedly is not the most intuitive interface), i'd be wary about e.g. an incomplete loading of the webpage or interaction with screen readers, so i'd instead use a more robust obfuscation technique like ROT13.

How do i use sigtext properly?

Doorkeeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5439 on: June 04, 2023, 01:10:57 pm »

@sofanthiel you can use spoiler tags to hide parts of your text, like this

Code: [Select]
[spoiler]spoiler stuff[/spoiler]
which becomes

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Toady has stated (for similar questions in the past) that he's not planning to add new stuff for a feature that's going to get rewritten entirely in the foreseeable future. It sucks for the underworld in its current state, but it makes sense. Originally (and still is) that breaching the underworld is considered a "punishment" by the game, i.e. greedily digging too deep. The underworld is not the reward, adamantine is the reward.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5440 on: June 04, 2023, 03:31:38 pm »

Not quite a FotF-related question, but: have any of you heard much from Toady at all lately? Don't mean to be alarmist, but TBH I'm getting just ever-so-slightly concerned since he hasn't yet posted his FotF reply here for this month or even the monthly announcement (neither of which he's ever been late on before to my knowledge), and a glance at his profile has revealed to me that he hasn't been active on the forum since May 16th.

I'm hoping he's just been unusually busy with Steam-related matters this month or something similar (which would be perfectly understandable), but if anyone here could confirm this for me that would be much appreciated.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5441 on: June 04, 2023, 04:53:50 pm »

He's fine. He's been traveling and anticipates posting on the 5th or 6th when he has access to the new Report numbers.
Team Bug Fix!

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5442 on: June 04, 2023, 05:02:34 pm »

That's good to know, thanks a lot.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5443 on: June 04, 2023, 06:52:07 pm »

Do you have any plans for the underworld pre-magic, after which it will (presumably) be overhauled and left completely up to world generation?  For example, adding something valuable there to make it worth venturing into?  Or maybe creating underworld structures like fortresses/pits with cages and other evil contraptions of hellish depravityTM?

No longer in the game, but there used to be stuff in the older editions.
As of 47.05: https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Demonic_fortress
In 0.34: https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.34:Demonic_fortress

--------
What is the EQUIPMENT creature flag used for?
I tested a summon unit interaction for creatures with the EQUIPMENT flag, and it ended up summoning a wagon.  This is the same as summon interactions which only summon creatures with the EQUIPMENT_WAGON flag.  I don't think these flags are redundant though.

edit: added question
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 02:33:36 pm by dikbutdagrate »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5444 on: June 06, 2023, 02:00:23 pm »

The equipment flag sets it as a wagon. Its what wagons use to do their wagony things
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 361 362 [363] 364 365 ... 389