Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]

Author Topic: LCM - Dungeonevened - The End  (Read 38153 times)

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
Re: LCM - Dungeonevened - The End
« Reply #195 on: February 24, 2019, 06:08:08 pm »

Well, I thought I'd half-ass the ending, but it looks like I three-fourths-assed it instead! Things like that happen when an update that was supposed to take a week takes one and a half month. I just couldn't get back into writing, and X-Com Files is just too much fun. There might be an epilogue as a real ending, bu that's for later.

Modpack-wise, I've been working on that. Some of the latest mods are not in yet, but that's not a problem.
We'll have corn, glass weapons, drow panties again, usable mushroom pikes...
I'll upload whenever I feel up to making a thread in the modding subforum.

For the sequel to this... I haven't even started working on the stuff I'd have to do.
I was half-joking about deep ones becoming an X-Com reference, but I've grown to like this idea. The only problem is, even with this many creatures in the modpack, there are still no lobstermen.
With glass and gem weapons, I'll have to make reactions for glass and gem weapons playable entities will be using. Doing that for drows was a lot of work, I tell you.

One more idea: before starting a new fort, I'll do some short adventures with the sequel-modified modpack. LCM Adventures, if you will. Truth be told, I've been reading Dungeon Meshi, and I really wanna play as an adventurer whose main motivation is eating monsters. I've got sme more ideas, so it won't be only abrian cousine.

Without any further ado, here we go:

Spoiler: PLOT - Ending (click to show/hide)

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 24, 2019, 07:48:54 pm »

If this glass reactions are successful, please mod in glass mechanisms.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 25, 2019, 08:36:54 am »

If this glass reactions are successful, please mod in glass mechanisms.

That should be simple enough, unless there's something special about mechanisms that I should know about.

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:CLEAR_GLASS_MECHANISM]
[NAME:Make clear glass mechanism]
[DESCRIPTION:Turns a piece of clear glass into a mechanism.]
[DESCRIPTION:]
[DESCRIPTION:Uses glassmaking skill]
[CATEGORY:CLEAR_GLASS]
[CATEGORY_NAME:Clear Glass]
[CATEGORY_DESCRIPTION:Items made from clear glass]
[BUILDING:GLASSFORGE:NONE]
[REAGENT:A:1:ROUGH:NONE:GLASS_CLEAR:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:MECHANISM:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
[SKILL:GLASSMAKER]

Would this work? It should, but I'm feeling really out of it today, so I'm not going to test it right now. Of course there will be mechanisms made of other types of glass and gems, so if you want your traps really fancy you can use crystal glass or diamonds.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 25, 2019, 05:51:49 pm »

Yeah, that should cover it.

And now that I have had time to think over the ending, it has made a good conclusion to the story you wove into the game, looking forward to seeing your fort, and of course, I'd like to be involved...…….
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #199 on: February 25, 2019, 06:21:45 pm »

I'd definitely want to see the adventure mode stuff as well - should prove to be interesting.

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 06, 2019, 01:35:24 pm »

Yeah, that should cover it.

No it shouldn't, it's TRAPPARTS, not MECHANISM. Hah, got ya! Because that definitely wasn't a mistake on my end, no sir!

I'd definitely want to see the adventure mode stuff as well - should prove to be interesting.

I made this pack with a complete focus on fort mode, so I'm also curious what adventure mode is like. I'll have to get my muscle memory back somehow, because the last time I played adventure was at least two years ago.

Anyway, I dropped in to say that I'm working on entities for the sequel/adventure spinoff. Right now I'm crying over all the metalwood/luminous/glass/gem reactions I still have to make and assign for playable entities.

On the other hand, I took a better look at Squamous's deep ones, and found out they have a larger caste called half-merrow. I can easily squeeze in yet another X-Com reference by renaming that caste to Tasoth. That's good news, at least for me.

Oh, speaking of entities, it will be as follows:

Spoiler: civs (click to show/hide)

I can make most races playable simply by not making them very different from each other. That, however, means that I'll have to make gem and glass reaction for all exotic Hito weapons and whatever halflings will be using. It's gonna take a lot of Pepsi to get me through this...

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 25, 2019, 06:14:37 am »

I've got a good idea what to do with entities now (well, except for halflings), but I realized I've been planning pets the wrong way - just going through raws and adding class tokens where it fits. No, I need a real plan, so here we are again:

Decided:
-High men - common domestic
-High elves - anything goes, just like vanilla elves
-Mountain dwarves - DBDB, Kazoo's tunnel tarantulas
-Wood Elves - like vanilla
-Hill dwarves - DDD, Direforged weaving orsists
-Kobolds - like vanilla
-Deep Drows - default
-Goblins - like vanilla
-Kobolds - like vanilla
-Stranglers - none
-Brigands - rabid gnashers, wolves and 12-pounders, maybe horses; no USE_ANY_PET_RACE this time
-Skeletons - probably nothing

Planned:

-Deep ones/Tasoths - X-Com TFTD references. So far I've got gillmen (ZM5's), hallucinoids (modified deep stingers, also ZM5's), tentaculats (modified grells from Forgotten Realms Direforged), and lobstermen. I may add aquatoids (modified greys or Dover demons), xarquids (giant nautiluses) and triscenes (armless T. rexes with sonic cannons). Bio-drones might be somewhat too... exotic. Actual X-Com deep ones renamed to janissaries like in X-Com Files?

-Highlanders:
*some vanilla animals - sheep, cattle, yaks, horses, donkeys, goats and pigs
*quail - a small ground bird farmed as a reliable source of eggs (6-8 eggs)
*wood grouse (capercaillie, but I'm not gonna put effort into remembering this name) - a large ground bird that can lay up to 12 eggs, but it can as well lay just 3.
*ferret - a small carnivore historically used for vermin control and hunting rabbits in their burrows. Highlanders use them for the former. I'll just use Klisz's ferrets.
*sparrowhawk - a small bird of prey kept for hunting vermin. Pretty much kestrel, really.
*sheepdog - a lage white dog, all there is to it. Used for hunting and war, which isn't really what mountain dogs are the best for, but whatevs.

-Drows:
*some regular drow animals - deep rothe and pack lizard especially. No slaves or evil creatures)
*zee-bat - a cat-sized bat that hunts vermin. Can't use it for navigation on the unterzee, so I have to do with the next best thing. I made it long time ago when I was first considering learning modding; I was really into Fallen London back then.
*beak terrier - a tiny beak dog that hunts vermin. Maybe a tiny jabberer actually, because beak dogs don't live underground?
*elk goose - a small cousin of the elk bird. They are a good source of eggs, and unlike their large cousins, they can thrive on spores and insects, so they don't need to graze.
*giant purring maggot (from fluffyshambler's Caverns Of Peace, Friendship, & Fun). A source of milk in the deep.
*dimple cup cow - a quadrupedal fungus creature with a dimple cup-shaped head. It can be milked for mushroom-milk which can be processed into dye (That should be possible, right?). Also a wagon-puller.
*moonlight moth - a large flightless moth that sprays silk, can be milked for silkmilk, and lays silk eggs. A non-arachnid version of the hairy spider (drowspider)
*cave raptor - a large raptor with white feathers and red eyes, a counterpart to the riding lizard. Used as a mount or attack animal

Not entirely on topic, but maybe I'll try to make a scorrow creature so that non-deep drows can enjoy their own unique curse like deep drows and driders. Some mod already has girtablilu, so that shouldn't be too hard...

-Halflings
*Dark Ages pets - cave lynx (maybe renamed to fit the theme), owl (renamed to loft owl), living statue, hound (renamed to mastiff, maybe mounts)
*hedge golem - from one of squamous's mod. A walking bush shaped into a capable worker
*pony - a small horse, who would have thought?
*riding goat - a large goat that can be ridden into battle by diminutive halflings. Very aggressive. Also a source of milk
*angora rabbit - a large breed of rabbit kept for their soft wool. Not sure how large they should be to make them a sustainable source of wool
*angora goat - an exceptionally sheep-like goat. Pretty much a sheep, but a goat.
*pot-belly pig - small but fast-breeding and fast-growing pig, perfect for meat and leather production
*silver fox - a domestic form of a red fox, hunts vermin.
*rhea - a flightless bird resembling a small ostrich, domesticated for eggs and meat

-Orcs
*Direforged animals - gurisho (renamed to battle cat for that spicy He-Man reference) and leornis, both vicious mounts and war animals
*gobdog - from Asin's goblinoids mod, just like orcs themselves. Another mount/war beast
*bison - a wagon puller and a source of milk, also a large and aggressive animal
Actually I have no idea what to do with orc pets; I don't want to give them generic evil animals, but I'm also not so hot on giving them ice-age animals. D-dinosaurs?

-Hito
*some vanilla animals; definitely cats
*kabutomushi - a giant rhinoceros beetle used as a pack animal or a mount.
*kuwagata - a giant stag beetle, trainable for war. Unlike real stag beetles it grows quite quickly, making it a viable source of meat and chitin
*raccoon dog - a small, incredibly fluffy canine that feeds on common pests
*shiba inu - a small dog, doesn't do much
No idea what else to put here. Wool and maybe silk producing animals would be good to have

I'm not really attached to any of those choices, so I'm willing to change them if anyone comes up with a half-decent idea. I'd appreciate suggestions if anyone still cares at this point.

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #202 on: April 04, 2019, 09:12:47 pm »

*dimple cup cow - a quadrupedal fungus creature with a dimple cup-shaped head. It can be milked for mushroom-milk
lol...
I think Drow like spiders. Maybe someday goblins will have slaves. Halflings definitely like ponies.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 09:15:20 pm by FakerFangirl »
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 05, 2019, 10:40:47 pm »

I think Halflings should get miniature dinosaurs, they treat them like lap-dogs - cute, fluffy feathery, dinos the size of chihuahua ... … … filled with razor-sharp teeth, claws that could disembowel a cow, and a temper to put a sugar-rush to shame, but the Halflings love them … … … maybe a little too much.

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 07, 2019, 08:42:31 am »

There are people who still care? If that isn't a motivation to get to work I don't know what is.

*dimple cup cow - a quadrupedal fungus creature with a dimple cup-shaped head. It can be milked for mushroom-milk
lol...
I think Drow like spiders. Maybe someday goblins will have slaves. Halflings definitely like ponies.

Hey now, the dimple cow is the best thing I've ever came up with, especially since I've actually finished making it:

Spoiler: creature (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: plant (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: reaction (click to show/hide)

Deep drow will have hairy spiders and monstrous spiders, the ones that replace drowspiders and giant drowspiders since the latest update of Rhanaya's Drow. Those spiders work like half-half-citizens, meaning that they can't be butchered and they can be made into scholars and bards. I think this behavior simulates the spiders' exalted status in drow society pretty well.

By slaves I meant trolls, rattusites, quaggoths and the like, not actual slaves. Kinda wish Toady focused on actual features like slavery instead of worldgen fluff like the villains release, since goblins using dwarven slaves for all their mining needs would be fantastic.

I didn't know what to do with halflings, so I came up with fancier versions of vanilla creatures, ponies included. Can't wait to be sieged by halfling knights one day.

D-dinosaurs?
yes

Maybe, but those won't be regular wild dinosaurs, but rather domesticated versions:

Spoiler: Orcish pets (click to show/hide)

I think Halflings should get miniature dinosaurs, they treat them like lap-dogs - cute, fluffy feathery, dinos the size of chihuahua ... … … filled with razor-sharp teeth, claws that could disembowel a cow, and a temper to put a sugar-rush to shame, but the Halflings love them … … … maybe a little too much.

Oh, fancy Velociraptors, why haven't I thought of this!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'll give the halflings fancy pigeons too, because I imagine that would be something halflings would be into.

I'll probably have to expand on drow pets too, since their selection is seriously lacking. A snake of some sort would be nice, for example. I may give them abrians and mottleworms, considering how many of those there were in Dungeonevened.

Still only a very faint idea what to do with Hito pets. Had some decent ideas; hardly enough, but still:

Spoiler: Hito pet ideas (click to show/hide)

Before I forget: human, elven and dwarven entities are done. Deep drows need some tweaking, but otherwise they're finished. Next are good drows and their pets that I'm still not satisfied with; halflings, Hito and orcs after that, then NPC civs that will be simple as they won't need glass and gem reactions for weapons.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 07, 2019, 08:16:01 pm »

Halzkaraptor is cool, I should add them to Primal sometime.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
Re: LCM - Dungeonevened - planning for next adventure
« Reply #207 on: May 10, 2019, 05:03:51 pm »

So, uh, I haven't been working on the modpack at all, and by at all I mean AT ALL. Sure, the Animal Diversification Project is going to be in the modpack, and thanks to my work on that I learned how to fix some stuff that keeps showing up in the errorlog, but nothing directly related to the next story fort has been done.

No, I haven't abandoned the project; in fact, I've been thinking hard about it - entities, creatures, characters, story... let's start with...

ENTITIES:

'Good and "good-ish factions are going to remain the same. The "bad' faction deserves a minor tweak, namely removal of goblins. Hito are just humans of a different culture; orcs are barbaric in the others' eyes, but it's just the way they live; deep drows are evil because they stick to ancient traditions. Goblins are evil by nature, they revel in the suffering of others, and backstab their allies whenever they feel safe to do so. No reasonable civilization should be allying itself with goblins, that's why I'm moving them to the '"ugly" faction to replace dark stranglers.

About dark stranglers, I just don't agree with the direction Fortress Defense II took at a certain point. Creatures made to be a wake-up call for the player to start assembling real militia? Yeah, let's give them metal skin and master level dodging.

What about the vacant space in the "bad" faction? I considered the tigermen from Culture Shock, since I was the one who suggested them in the first place. Then I realized there are so many creatures, and the only civs that get to use exotic animals are wood elves and high elves.
I don't want a fifth human civ, but it's got to be something human-like, not too alien. Menehune from Asin's Wee Folk mod were considered, but I really can't imagine jolly hawaiian dwarves allying themselves with orcs.
I can try to make some sort of plant people - ivy for hair, large flower on top of their heads, bleeding sap, probably several castes. I'll have to do quite a bit of learning, but I think I can do that.

Deep ones... I was never really satisfied with how I handled them. They will be replaced with T'lethians, a completely new creature with five castes:
-Aquatoid - fast and agile, but small and weak. They will have weak, mind-affecting "molecular control" interactions of some sort.
-Aquatoid commander - same as aquatoid, but the "molecular control" will have stronger effect and higher chance to work.
-Gillman - scaly human-sized creature, no gimmicks.
-Lobsterman - hulking brute with giant pincers and metal-grade carapace.
-Tasoth - large creature with natural skills. They don't feel pain, don't breath and don't eat or sleep, have no bones, and the only "organs" in its body are two ceramic cells acting as brains, and an aqua-plastics power unit that probably also should function as a brain. Since they would be really squishy that way, their scales should be iron-hard.

CREATURES:

I've come up with some creatures while not working:
-Yatagacho - three-legged goose, Hito poultry
-Pig tail carrier (not final name) - a giant insect infected with fibrous parasitic fungus. Drows shear that fungus off for yarn.

I'm also dead set on giving hito a catgirl/catboy caste. Cat ears, tail, claws, great at climbing, more cat-like personality.

CHARACTERS:

High elves. Initially I wanted to do a highlander hideout, but I've changed my mind and went for long-ears again. I've already decided what the founders will be:

-The Metamagician - alchemist/teacher/manager/record keeper
-The Magician's Assistant - alchemist/teacher/grower/animal trainer
-The Collector - appraiser/gem cutter/gem setter
-The Cook - cook/butcher
-The Adventurer - spearman/liar
-The Coal Miner - miner/furnace operator
-The Stray - climber/biter

Yeah, I know some of these make little sense, but story is more important.

TO DO:

I have a lot of things to do before I can do even the very first test run:
-To make Direforged metal enchanting work, I need to give proper reaction classes to every gem DONE
-Shisa creature will use smite evil from Forgotten Realms Direforged, which works on creatures with [CREATURE_CLASS:EVIL] I'll have to find all evil creatures and tag them accordingly. Same for good creatures.
-More gem/glass/metalwood/luminous reactions. Hito have a lot of stuff, especially since I dug out that old tengu fortress mod.
-I had already made the scorrow curse, but the scorrow creature doesn't exist yet. Gotta take care of that. DONE
-Make remaining pets, plantfolk, and T'lethians
-Work on ADP until I'm stisfied
-Bug fixing all around. Now that I know my way around raws, I can fix those pesky missing horn materials.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 10, 2019, 07:18:32 pm »

During a recent world-gen, I noticed one Drow founder had a preference for Unknown seeds, so I have been slowly filtering my way through the plant raws, trying to locate which plant needs to have its seeds defined.  Might help if I knew what I was looking for, but, while in hospital, I got nothing better to do.

Lunardog15

• Bay Watcher
  • I bring hell (aka eternal PUNishment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 20, 2019, 07:51:46 pm »

sorry that i vanished for over a year. I am a lil sad that Lunardog never got his cat but also happy that they never died in some horrible way :D
everything is fine
 everything is on fire
I see no difference between these two phrases.
only at modded hell does this make sense
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]