Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Glitch fortress succession game.  (Read 9559 times)

blademan9999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Glitch fortress succession game.
« on: February 02, 2019, 04:09:37 am »

I don't think anyone has done this but I've got an idea for a succession game involving 1-3 duplicated raws.
Those of you who understand the above sentence can skip this paragraph. If you don't, let it be said simply that the code does not like it when there are copies of the RAW files- files with the easily-modified information on creatures, civilizations and items. While it isn't fully understood, duplicating the raw files (usually by accident when modding) has been know to cause cave crocodiles to live in houses, civilizations of elephants to form, camels to wear clothes, fluffy wamblers to pull wagons, wizards to exist, and demons to get raped by elves, to name a few.

So who thinks this is a good idea?
There is a massive magma snake moving in down stairs as well as a flood and a tunnel to hell also downstairs and you are worried about me putting my feet on the furniture.
GWG you are meant to be the sane one.
Just because the apocalypse is happening downstairs is no reason to abandon manners young wizard.

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Glitch fortress succession game.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 06:25:49 am »

Sounds amusing, at the very least. And isn't that what most of the point is?
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 09:55:21 am »

I support this idea from the bottom of my raw files.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 04:29:37 am »

I like the idea, but I'm worried about the saves being unusable after a few turns because of save corruption, constant crashes or something like that.
On that note, is there some place where I can download a world with duplicated raws? Would I have to modify my DF install to see those effects?

TheBeardyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 08:07:26 am »

Civilizations of elephants are the easy level of RAW file corruption - I'm sure I remember a thread about badly modified RAW files causing an entire terrain type to turn to mucus.

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 03:50:04 pm »

Civilizations of elephants are the easy level of RAW file corruption - I'm sure I remember a thread about badly modified RAW files causing an entire terrain type to turn to mucus.

This must be done.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 05:37:06 pm »

YES.

I want in.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 03:43:43 am »

As long as we dont end up with mandates for impossible objects, or end up ruled by a sentient scepter, it should be OK.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2019, 06:16:04 am »

I will in the very least read about this world of nightmares
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2019, 08:38:16 am »

Based on my limited experimentation (in LNP 0.44.12-r05 with TWBT and Phoebus, your mileage will vary), the worst/best-case scenario would be some hellscape where the material of every tile randomly switches to another material every single computational frame, even while the game is paused,
Rocs and bronze colossuses (colossi?) form major civs (presumably possible visitors?) and are playable in Adventure Mode,
The game shows "(blank)" or "unknown" for pretty much anything,
'Great powers' now include bogeymen,
Normal, non-artifact stuff that migrants come with are made out of strange materials like nervous tissue and liver tissue (bonus points if origin of material is sentient), and,
Assuming that the game would allow for it, everything has jumbled tags, so nothing makes sense.

The very idea terrifies me, to say the least. Not even the HFS could produce nightmares this potent.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 08:40:05 am by methylatedspirit »

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2019, 08:50:05 am »

Based on my limited experimentation (in LNP 0.44.12-r05 with TWBT and Phoebus, your mileage will vary), the worst/best-case scenario would be some hellscape where the material of every tile randomly switches to another material every single computational frame, even while the game is paused,
Rocs and bronze colossuses (colossi?) form major civs (presumably possible visitors?) and are playable in Adventure Mode,
The game shows "(blank)" or "unknown" for pretty much anything,
'Great powers' now include bogeymen,
Normal, non-artifact stuff that migrants come with are made out of strange materials like nervous tissue and liver tissue (bonus points if origin of material is sentient), and,
Assuming that the game would allow for it, everything has jumbled tags, so nothing makes sense.

The very idea terrifies me, to say the least. Not even the HFS could produce nightmares this potent.
Ok, I want to be dwarfed, or whatever other creature is playble in fortress mode.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2019, 09:41:35 am »

Perhaps to ensure 'stability' it'd be best to wrap up the whole folder and share that instead of the save itself.

The more I think about this - the better it sounds.

A new migrant arrives - wearing a dwarf intestine suit.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2019, 09:46:10 am »

Perhaps to ensure 'stability' it'd be best to wrap up the whole folder and share that instead of the save itself.

The more I think about this - the better it sounds.

Probably smart idea

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2019, 10:12:22 am »

That sounds like one hell of a war trophy/item of intimidation, depending on whose intestines were used.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2019, 12:29:04 am »

Due to some strange overlap of raws, the suit is made of his own intestines.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7