Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 32

Author Topic: Dawnthunder: !!Fun!! with RAWs (succession game)  (Read 95127 times)

Blackchibisan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dawnthunder: !!Fun!! with RAWs (succession game)
« Reply #210 on: April 06, 2019, 11:37:06 pm »

How is the turn going, Creeper?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 07, 2019, 02:02:13 am »

PTW
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 07, 2019, 05:26:06 am »

How is the turn going, Creeper?
It's going. It will be going faster when i will cease being distracted by other games. It's midsummer now.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 11, 2019, 03:46:39 am »

NOTE: I live in China, and do my best to avoid VPNs. Unfortunately, recently imgur and a few other image hosting sites were blocked (meaning to read this thread, I've got to flip on a VPN, which is why I haven't been very active in it lately). I'll do my best to attach photos - but we'll see how much of an inconvenience this becomes.

What follows is the first post in a Dawnthunder Side-story. I forked off at the most recent save - 1054, after Vindcara's turn.
As mentioned before, my contribution to this community game will be in the form of adventure mode (due to computational limitations). I'll do some illustrations along the way. Hoping that our adventurer doesn't die within the first ten minutes, I'll be taking requests for where to go next. Additionally, if anyone wants the save, just ask.

Also - whoever plays next, I'd like to be dorfed. Specifically as this dwarf:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So, let's dive in!

First, let's take a look at this beautiful hellscape: Ledirthadar, The Oracular Planet!
There's some mountains, that are a pain to traverse. And a lot of gobbo pits... Food will be an issue - gotta keep that in mind.

So, seeing as there are 11 goblin civilizations, and a single dwarven civilization consisting of the 81 dwarves in Dawnthunder and 2 other ~mystery dwarves~ and... wait what?

That's fine. The only other location once owned by the dwarves is Machineheat - to the west, currently occupied by a forgotten beast and a goblin visitor. We shall explore Machineheat! Or die trying!

------

Well... I was... sort of hoping for more choices here.

I put a lot of points into agility and dodge. Outsider was the only option, so we can't start with ranks in it - but I'm hoping to find a dwarven axe lying around.

Boy, what a name. I present to you, our hero of the hour, Ebbak Ugradbupe, "Jawbursts"!

----

Our wanderings have brought us to Dawnthunder - the only choice. For some reason, Ebbak climbed this tower before I took control of him. As soon as I start the game, I realize that I may not have opened the front gate of this fortress...This might not be great.

As Ebbak climbs down the tower, he sees a flight of stairs, which, apparently to his primitive brain are impossible to pass. He instead jumps down to the entrance of the fort. I'm confronted what I immediately think is fire, but apparently is just constantly changing substances on the ground. Flipping between types of mucus, filth, and ooze - god that must be horrifying. How do you feel, Ebbak?

Glad to hear it.

Let's explore. I figure it's good to get some company. I chat with a wide-eyed wrestler for a bit. He tells me about some monsters in the area. Queen Likot apparently also wants an artifact, but do one knows where it is. Great. Welcome to the team, Asob! I hope you're not a real S.O.B.

Asob and Ebbak search the fortress meticulously - mostly looking for a backpack or solid weapons. We run into an impossible staircase, and fearing I won't be able to get back, I march back up to the entryway. I gather a loose rusted metal gauntlet for Asob and find an iron shield and warhammer for myself. Just as we're about to leave, Ebbak notices something strange.

These animals must be from some merchants. I check if one has a backpack. Great luck! Unfortunately, you can't just pick it up from an animal.
I try a few strategies - lying under the horse and trying to pick up its items. Talking to the horse and convincing it to trade. All of these are to no avail. Finally, I decide on the simple, more dwarven approach.

I kill the horse - not noticing that it dropped all its gear the instant we started fighting. But now I feel adequately equipped for a journey.

----

After travelling for some time to the West. Ebbak and Asob stop for a drink and some food. We run into this:

Will the adventurers deal well with this horrible undead horde? Find out next time!

[There was a genuinely long time of wandering around, sorry to cut it short, but this was like 3 hours of playing. I cut a lot because it didn't result in anything. I also found a cave that was impassible because of lag and constant "IDENTIFY YOURSELF" shouts from some goblins.]

We're headed to Machineheat. I'll post again when we get close!

Solitarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 11, 2019, 10:48:40 am »

You live in China? Yeesh, that sucks. I can see why you've had difficulties. Although I can't the pictures aren't loading for me, I trust that you will bring glory to this world. Onward! Strike the undead!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 11, 2019, 07:15:28 pm »

You live in China? Yeesh, that sucks. I can see why you've had difficulties. Although I can't the pictures aren't loading for me, I trust that you will bring glory to this world. Onward! Strike the undead!

Yeah, have been for a while. I love living here. In general, the benefits of living in China outweigh the inconveniences that come up - but times like these I must admit I do think about my other options.

I uploaded the pictures to matrix.org - which has gone down for emergency maintenance for the last twelve hours or so. Hopefully these images will show back up soon. As their website is down, I can't download these pictures to re-upload them somewhere else. I might do that if this happens again - but matrix has been incredibly stable for me except right now.

EDIT: Seems there was some sort of data loss with the maintenance - and I was just unlucky enough to do it about 2 hours before the maintenance... Still hoping on some recovery. If not, I'll find a way to remake some of those screenshots.

As a humble offering, I present to you all Ebbak - done in 3 minutes in my terrible mspaint skills!

« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 09:32:59 pm by delphonso »

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 12, 2019, 02:30:00 pm »

Turn finished, update tommorow.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 13, 2019, 07:24:29 am »

Ooh, adventure in the wastes! Wonderful!
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 13, 2019, 08:45:08 am »

Get ready, Ebbak and Asob - this won't be easy. But, with a little luck, we can pull through!

Welp.
Ahem...
Time to reroll, I guess.
Greet the wonderful Kar Bupegorhax - Burstsharks!

More detail:

Things started off pretty similar. I convinced some random dwarf to join me - Momuz. I'm taking a pouch of foul soot - which I'm certain will come in handy at some point. The goods:
We're off toward Machineheat. I swear by the foul soot that I will explore that fortress!

What's that...? It's Likot's hammer! Italgethust Amkol Nakas! Obviously, I must take it with me on my grand journey.

After leaving, I realize I forgot to bring any amount of food. I quickly look for something to kill and eat - but everything is already dead and just very, very angry. I backtrack for some plump helmets or something back at Dawnthunder. But of course - on the way...

OH, and as I fight off this ogre, I see something MUCH WORSE to the north - a dusk man wrestler who has killed an ogre:

Yes! Some hope! Oh - also Momuz is already dead.

The dusk man approaches the fight - but targets the ogre first. I take a few steps away, ready to sprint - but thinking I might be able to finish off both.

Done!

And done! ALL SHALL FEAR KAR BURSTSHARKS!

I throw a bag of foul soot at a goblin - but miss. Then I squash an undead weasel on the way back to Dawnthunder for food. I stop just outside the fort and speak to this interesting fellow:

He tells me of open war with "The Puzzling Leper" - ultimately, he doesn't have much to say. There's nothing to share about Machineheat - likely because it's a dead site. Kar rests in Dawnthunder for a few moments. It's insane that Dawnthunder is a CALM place in this world - there are so many caves and constant roaming parties - travelling is exhausting.

We'll be back next time with more Burstsharks!

NOTE:
I've never been particularly bad at adventure mode - but not particularly good. I've never played in a world like this - ignoring the duplicated raws - there's just so many bad things out there. It's so hard to make progress - but damn if it isn't !!FUN!!.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 13, 2019, 12:37:38 pm »

I violated my own rule to write things down when things happen, so this update is a complete junk.

You know what? There were unfinishhed (and unfinishable) fungiwood up\down stairs on top of the entrance. And cancelling construction got me a second log for moody dwarf. Which was enough to complete a blasted artifact. Oh, me!
Queen finally died and was buried. New queen is our legendary diagnoser. Now to dig out new tomb for her. And fix mayoral quarters, she is getting upset about eating without table, among other things.
With one loss, cave hammerdwarves managed to permakill ogre, forgotten beast and other former inhabitants and were let back in.

Alcohol is finally going, but it looked like one still wasn't enough, so i built a second. Also second jeweler and clothier workshops. And farmer workshops down in caves, don't remember if i built or just let it run.

Summer
It occured to me that alcohol production will be going faster if stills were closer to food stockpile, so i moved them, along with the kitchen.

Someone has " gone missing"... in the caves? and when i opened unit list i got this.  :-\
When i reopened it, it was gone and there were proper 72 citizens.

I opened the entrance and moved the military outside, so civilians would be able to finally plug that hole i the roof and clean up some trash on the surface. Not much cleaning were had, because there were "no gathering refuse outside" order and i didn't disable it fr some reason. At least military become less cave adapted?

I ordered some things to be encrusted with gems, got this. I'm not sure if you are supposed to be able to encrust gems with gems.

A bunch of crundles got into the pasture! Apparently there was a hole in the wall near the ceiling. Apparently, i forgot to screen the whole deal.

Someone sure does like cats. Most of the statues depict 30 cats striking triumphant pose.
Autumn
Vile force of darkness! We probably can manage it. Okay, military goes to depot. Or maybe it will be better to go deeper inside...
Ah, screw that. Charge! And you better be fast.

Still no wounds, even after literally being piled up on by goblins.

I unpause and watch the slaughter. I see "Rovod Endokmafol has been found dead". I pause and look at the log.
This has gone on until sixth currently visible page, until she passed out of exhaustion.
And then they murdered her for 7 more pages.
Which means "Chilledcurls".

I actually did do this surface cleaning operation this time (i hate all those teeth lying around), two dwarves died, somehow.

That one permanently depressed trasher has  finally gone stark raving mad.

No caravan this autumn, no migrants this summer, civ heads are "merchants". Can someone check how our civ is doing?
Winter
Dead willow somehow grown up on the surface! And three spore trees grown up in the farm! Finally dwarves will get some proper beds and bedrooms.
Two of those were dug out.

Water newt! How terrifying. IT soon died somewhere in the caves.

Another moody dwarf, this time glassmaker. I don't think we can get any glass, so he gets walled in.

Meeting hall become tavern, temple was dug out near the barracks. Tavern keeper was assigned, dwarf got poisoned, tavern keeper got removed. There is an order to make some statues of gods for mason, that wasn't finished. And it turns out that you can't specify smokerock as craft material.

Summary.
Memorial hall. I wonder how much rows it will be by the time this thing ends.
Save file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14336

« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 12:39:31 pm by MCreeper »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 13, 2019, 01:35:00 pm »

Y'know a fort's messed up when it's got a legendary diagnoser...  ::)

Good solid turn. Things seem much more stable now.

Blackchibisan, you're up!

klonk
Sigtext

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 13, 2019, 11:00:43 pm »

Someone sure does like cats. Most of the statues depict 30 cats striking triumphant pose.
Guess who? Just be glad I didn't go for the several sextillion cat statue this time

Blackchibisan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 14, 2019, 06:54:10 am »

I'll pick up the save later today and get it done as fast as I can. Can't wait to walk into the flaming remains of dwarven kind only to have it explode when I touch it.*knows own luck well enough to realize that I will be lucky if this place is still standing by the time I'm done*

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 14, 2019, 07:10:08 am »

If you're so sure that you're gonna end up killing all of dwarven civilization, why not make a statue depicting 2147483647 dead dwarves, all of which are burning? Name it something good, like Deaddead the Dead Dead Dead-Dead of Dying. Just put it in the main hall or something, as a grim reminder that they're all gonna die.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 14, 2019, 07:28:56 am »

If you're so sure that you're gonna end up killing all of dwarven civilization, why not make a statue depicting 2147483647 dead dwarves, all of which are burning? Name it something good, like Deaddead the Dead Dead Dead-Dead of Dying. Just put it in the main hall or something, as a grim reminder that they're all gonna die.
That is a brilliant idea and I wholeheartedly support it.

klonk
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 32