Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 32

Author Topic: Dawnthunder: !!Fun!! with RAWs (succession game)  (Read 93887 times)

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
Re: Dawnthunder: !!Fun!! with RAWs (succession game)
« Reply #240 on: April 23, 2019, 03:00:43 am »

delphonso, what place is this? I want to teleport there with an overpowered character (read: abusing every cheat that I know of) to get the full floor plans.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 03:13:45 am by methylatedspirit »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 23, 2019, 03:39:44 am »

Machineheat way to the west. I will have the first floor revealed by my PC is basically a netbook, so it's resolution is shit. If you want to get a HD screen of the floorplan, that'd be great.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 23, 2019, 03:50:06 am »

Right, I've gotten here, and I'm using reveal all to get every floor of this place to save time. It's possible that some parts will get cut off due to the GUI getting in the way, though. Of course, I'm editing out anything that you wouldn't normally be able to see, like stone layers and a spoiler.

This is gonna take a while, I'll tell you that. EDIT2: Forgot to mention, I'll update this post with new floorplans as soon as I can get them ready.

E5: Unless I'm mistaken, these are all the notable floors of Machineheat.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 04:25:56 am by methylatedspirit »

Solitarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 27, 2019, 11:08:39 am »

I guess we won't see anything from him, then. I will thus begin my turn tomorrow. I'm not sure which save file to download, though. Can someone reupload it?

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 27, 2019, 11:17:20 am »

It's this one, from the fifth year of Dawnthunder.
Now that I realize it, those floor plans of Machineheat are out of date, since I used the savefile from the fourth year of Dawnthunder. Oops.
EDIT: Double oops, assuming that delphonso's still using the savefile from the fourth year of Dawnthunder, my floor plans probably aren't outdated relative to their adventure.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 11:22:18 am by methylatedspirit »

Solitarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 27, 2019, 01:10:59 pm »

Hmm... I'm not sure how to use this save file. Should I just copy it onto my DF folder (after making a backup, obviously) and click "yes" to overwrite?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 27, 2019, 08:36:48 pm »

Sorry about leaving everyone hanging - been crazy here lately. I might be able to get a little adventure in today - if not it'll be another several days as I run off to the hills to sleep in a cave over the holiday.

Thanks to Methylatedspirit for the maps. I'm planning to wander around as long as I can looking at statues and trying to get a bit of history from the place. Unfortunately - almost all the statues were generically of dwarves and a couple of generic animal men. The most history I came by were those coins.
But yeah, I'm playing the year 4 file - though I don't know how much would change unless someone was sending squads out to Machineheat to reclaim it.

Solitarian, this is the world file and has the raws duplicated in it already. You can just drop in in the saves file and run it like a normal game. Easy-peasy.

[EDIT]
Well, well, well - look who had some extra time...?
Kar and Tekkud left off right in front of a goblin concealed by darkness in the dead halls of Machineheat. Hesitantly, they interact with the goblin.

Seems like an alright fellow, for a goblin. What do you know about this place?

Wait...what?
This guys not making any sense. But I noticed he's holding a book that might have more information.

I ask him for it, but he refuses. The conversation went something like this:

The book is a bit less useful than I thought it would be.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I couldn't find the book he wrote earlier anywhere in the fortress. It might have been in the giant stockpile of junk - but of the things I looked at, I didn't find anything except the usual there.

Exploring all of Machineheat - I can tell the dwarves living here had a rough life. The statues become increasingly disturbing as I go.

Tekkud and I make our way through every nook and cranny. The deepest section is a purely kimberlite floor - actually very pretty.
We work our way back up to the odd 18th floor (mostly only accessible from below) and finish our exploration of Machineheat.

Hmm...
Well, best to be cautious about that. Don't want to stumble on it unprepared or anything -

Oh.

Here's Akon - The Gill of Grease
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The fight was pretty good - lots of dodging and jumping away from clouds of boiling poison.
I don't think I got caught in it explicitly - so hopefully that means I won't get any effects.

Akon ran at me, and ended up underneath me after this strike to the leg - giving me a clear shot at its head.

Quite honestly, this might be the first forgotten beast I've killed in adventure mode. I feel very proud of myself.
Machineheat is now devoid of any residents, as far as I can tell. I couldn't find the path to floor 20 - the 3rd? bedroom area. If there's something to beat up there, let me know - Meth - and I'll try to backtrack.

Did we learn anything? Not really. But that's fine. We found a shitty book, that I'm still carrying.
Oh, and for some reason the rooms around the forgotten beast had clothing fit for a human, so I am at least wearing leather armor.

Thanks for reading! I'm going to visit some of the sites around Machineheat - and use Machineheat as a sort of base of operations (still has plenty of cheese lying around to steal). I'll see if I can find more books, coins, or anything of actual interest.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 01:11:34 am by delphonso »

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 28, 2019, 02:49:22 am »

Apart from the inexplicable webs in floor 20, there's nothing notable there. If you're curious, the following is how you get to floor 20 from the central staircase of floor 19:

Solitarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 28, 2019, 02:52:05 am »

I can't seem to make the save file load. I tried copying it into my DF folder, but that did not work. Can someone explain to me how I should do this?

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 28, 2019, 02:54:30 am »

Hmm... I'm not sure how to use this save file. Should I just copy it onto my DF folder (after making a backup, obviously) and click "yes" to overwrite?
Just put this into DF Folder\data\save.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: April 28, 2019, 03:22:26 am »

The save file is compressed in .rar format. You have to extract it into DF Folder\data\save to get DF to recognize and load it.

Solitarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 28, 2019, 04:46:27 am »

Ah, I see. I was just copying it into the base DF folder instead of data/save. Very good. Thanks! I'll try not to destroy everything irreversibly.

Solitarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 28, 2019, 12:34:18 pm »

Boom! Done! How was I so fast? Because I felt certain that I would bungle everything if I tried to undertake any large projects, I thought that I would be very laissez-faire and allow the fortress to progress with little interaction from me. I built some small things and tweaked a bit, but really very little changed... except the population. It's a *little* lower now.

I did this in the form of a low-quality video which I uploaded to DFFD: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14355

So download and watch that .wmv goodness. Admittedly, the file is quite large. I thought about uploading it to Youtube, but directly downloading it from DFFD seemed more appropriate in this context. Also, I show the entire fortress in the video, as I was annoyed that other people had not shown all of it. It's a mess.

The save file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14356

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 28, 2019, 02:30:08 pm »

Ain't no rule.  ::)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 28, 2019, 03:59:49 pm »

Confusion correction list--

Spore tree farm was dug deep, because of chicken and egg problems-- Namely, you need wood to make rollers to drive minecarts... but you need the water to make the mud to grow the trees. If nothing else, this level is designed to become a power plant. the sluice is running water and can drive water wheels. The levers that control the flood gates is on the level at the top of the sluice. We can use this construction to bootstrap something closer to the surface later.

Sorry for not labeling my levers in the sluice. :$
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 32