Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So does killing the president do anything?  (Read 650 times)

devilchao0

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
So does killing the president do anything?
« on: August 31, 2019, 02:36:17 am »

So first I kidnapped him and I was able to make him join my cause through beatings.  I waited a couple months and nothing really happened, so I had him go an kick in a door and surrender to the police and an interrogator turned him back to conservatism.
I then went back and snuck into the white house again and this time I just killed him and escaped.  Then the VP took over.  I'm at full Juice so I don't know if that is an action that nets you a ton of it or something.  But it didn't seem to actually do much.

IsaacG

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Engineer
    • View Profile
    • JJoseph on Deviantart
Re: So does killing the president do anything?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 05:33:19 am »

So first I kidnapped him and I was able to make him join my cause through beatings.  I waited a couple months and nothing really happened, so I had him go an kick in a door and surrender to the police and an interrogator turned him back to conservatism.
I then went back and snuck into the white house again and this time I just killed him and escaped.  Then the VP took over.  I'm at full Juice so I don't know if that is an action that nets you a ton of it or something.  But it didn't seem to actually do much.
Does nothing past that currently.

Open to ideas if you've got any.
LCS 4.12.38 Custom NewGame, Edit Savefile!
Many people, meeting Aziraphale for the first time, formed three impressions: that he was English, that he was intelligent, and that he was gayer than a tree full of monkeys on nitrous oxide.
Constitution of the Confederate States
Article I Sec. 9 4
No bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law denying or impairing the right of property in negro slaves shall be passed.

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 08:36:47 am »

Yeah, at the moment, assassinating the president doesn't accomplish much.

This is realistic - it's the reason why the president and VP are in the same party. That said, it's not LCS-y, so changing it would be good!  ;)

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 03:21:12 pm »

This is realistic - it's the reason why the president and VP are in the same party. That said, it's not LCS-y, so changing it would be good!  ;)

I've a good idea: a POTUS would have popularity tracked by the game. We could introduce the concept of radicalization, or when persons adopt a more extreme version of their ideology (Conservative to Arch-Conservative, Liberal to Elite Liberal, with Moderates going either to Conservatism or Liberalism; we would also have a heightened support for armed factions), along with the concept of selective radicalisation, with conservative radicalisation (when voters go one ster nearer from Conservatism) and Liberal radicalisation.

Of course, the LCS could never murder a Liberal POTUS.

Then, depending of the popularity, the following could occur:
  • A popular POTUS who had been murdered would bring more voters to his side, while the culprit side would lose voters by selective radicalisarion: for exemple, if Robert Jones, a popular Conservative POTUS, is murdered by the LCS then Conservative radicalisation would occur, meaning more Conservative voters, with further more of them Arch-Conservative, and less Liberal and Moderate ones, along with more support for the CCS, meaning they would have more resources.
  • However, an unpopular POTUS would see an outburst of support to the murderers for their tyrannicide but a radicalisation of his remaining partisans: if our Robert Jones was widely despised in the population then the LCS would get support and more persons would be Liberal; OTOH, the remaining Conservatives would be more radical because "our President has been assassined", meaning more Arch-Conservatives and more support for the CCS
In both cases, the authorities would get more repressive against extremists, meaning police would be tougher, along with the trial judges.[/li]
[/list]

We could even add other targets for political assassination, such as SCOTUS Justices.

The mechanism I propose would give benefits to such actions without making them overpowered: if I get more police raids after killing the President then I would be more cautious, before and after, meaning I would lay low.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Taberone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 06:58:12 pm »

In my opinion, killing the president should make people more "tolerant" of using political violence. If the LCS keeps assassinating Conservative presidents, what's keeping the CCS from assassinating any Liberal presidents in return? Maybe assassinating too many presidents could literally balkanize the country and result in something like martial law being declared? There's cut code in LCS's source files mentioning something about ENDGAME_MARTIALLAW, IIRC.

You'd think that in a game where the LCS keeps going full-on guerrilla warfare that all that violence would have consequences. But other than constantly getting raided by cops, the army, and the CCS? No consequences, and it's actually one of the faster ways to liberalize the country and win, IIRC.

I've a good idea: a POTUS would have popularity tracked by the game. We could introduce the concept of radicalization, or when persons adopt a more extreme version of their ideology (Conservative to Arch-Conservative, Liberal to Elite Liberal, with Moderates going either to Conservatism or Liberalism; we would also have a heightened support for armed factions), along with the concept of selective radicalisation, with conservative radicalisation (when voters go one ster nearer from Conservatism) and Liberal radicalisation.

Of course, the LCS could never murder a Liberal POTUS.

Then, depending of the popularity, the following could occur:
  • A popular POTUS who had been murdered would bring more voters to his side, while the culprit side would lose voters by selective radicalisarion: for exemple, if Robert Jones, a popular Conservative POTUS, is murdered by the LCS then Conservative radicalisation would occur, meaning more Conservative voters, with further more of them Arch-Conservative, and less Liberal and Moderate ones, along with more support for the CCS, meaning they would have more resources.
  • However, an unpopular POTUS would see an outburst of support to the murderers for their tyrannicide but a radicalisation of his remaining partisans: if our Robert Jones was widely despised in the population then the LCS would get support and more persons would be Liberal; OTOH, the remaining Conservatives would be more radical because "our President has been assassined", meaning more Arch-Conservatives and more support for the CCS
In both cases, the authorities would get more repressive against extremists, meaning police would be tougher, along with the trial judges.[/li]
[/list]

We could even add other targets for political assassination, such as SCOTUS Justices.

The mechanism I propose would give benefits to such actions without making them overpowered: if I get more police raids after killing the President then I would be more cautious, before and after, meaning I would lay low.

+1 to this, especially being able to do political assassinations of SCOTUS Justices.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 07:03:19 pm by Taberone »

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 10:16:01 pm »

When I get to it, I plan on adding this feature in the faction system (the more political violence there is in the news, the more factions will engage in violence with each-other)

Taberone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2019, 11:27:53 pm »

When I get to it, I plan on adding this feature in the faction system (the more political violence there is in the news, the more factions will engage in violence with each-other)

Civil War Crime Squad soon? Nice.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2019, 04:12:29 pm »

Civil War Crime Squad soon? Nice.

More like Weimar.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2019, 12:53:57 am »

I noted with the first post that having the President as a sleeper apparently didn't do anything.  That should probably get fixed first.
A simple change of the President from Conservative/whatever to Elite-Liberal (maybe with an asterisk since its not publicly known, at first).
Maybe it shouldn't be like a normal sleeper, it might require a command where the President is released from the LCS.  Maybe even another story where the President is treated for trauma (a random roll to see if the brainwashing sticks, or gets reverted).

He/She/Xe's the fucking President.  They're not going anywhere, even if their political alignment goes a complete 180.  Although, flipping a Supreme Court Justice may be more powerful in the long run.

Popular theory regarding Vice-Presidents is that they're generally not as good in some way as the President.  That is why they didn't get the Presidential nomination themselves.  So, if the Vice-President takes over as President, there should be a set of random events (News Stories) where the Vice-President fucks thing up and the country goes more in the opposite direction.  Being a game of randomness, there should also be a chance that the Vice-President as President actually does a better job of representing their party, and events that benefit their party trigger instead.
I think the word you were looking for is "monster".

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2019, 10:04:09 am »

What I'd suggest is that a sleeper president given orders to advocate liberalism should shift his alignment to L+ and start behaving like an L+ president, but that a president told to lay low, embezzle, or snoop should continue to pretend to be his actual alignment.

Sleeper presidents are useful in vanilla LCS, though, because they are of the creature class Politician, which is one of the two classes capable of leaking the CCS backer list...