Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 109

Author Topic: Smallhands - nearly 40 years and still tiny!  (Read 402587 times)

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Smallhands - a small fort for small computers (small overseers welcome)
« Reply #375 on: June 06, 2020, 07:42:23 am »

I sure hope I'm armed right now...
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: June 06, 2020, 08:21:16 am »

The inner thoughts of an Alpaca
applet, Overpaca

Dragon. Dragon. Dragonfire. The hottest thing ever. Ooh. That means.. best central heating ever!

Now, to capture it.

I start making my way down to the caves, where this dragon supposedly is, only to notice the dwarves stop panicking. I spit at a nearby fellow and ask if the dragon was captured. He doesn't react. I spit at him once again. No reaction.

I think I've found my new best friend!

I've now deduced that the dragon was in fact not captured, but killed. At first I was very disappointed with my subjects. Then I learned it wasn't a real dragon at all - didn't even breathe fire!

I track down my friend, he's making odd things out of white things. There's a lot of white things around. "Bones, bones, bones", I hear him mumble.

I express my dismay, while profusely spitting, about the dragon situation. I lounge into the topic of central heating where I orate for a good while about its virtues, only to realize my friend left some time ago.

Come to think of it, he didn't quite seem like himself, behaving more like the other dwarves. I hope he's back to his normal friendly self soon.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 08:23:59 am by applet »
Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

After 3 days, the new cat explodes.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: June 06, 2020, 08:28:16 am »

Ha! Maybe he's still got some of that undead strength after all.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: June 06, 2020, 08:53:36 am »

applet, Overpaca

I notice a dwarf heading directly for me, which is uncommon, as we close I notice a glimmer in the eyes. We pass without a sound. I turn and reflexively prepare to spit, but the dwarf is nowhere to be found. Huh.

My spit-immune friend is back - I take the opportunity to orate about how cold it is in this fort, and that we really should be doing something about that. He listens patiently, or ignores me, it's hard to tell. I decide that he is in fact listening, I love having a dwarf friend.

I see another dwarf run with that glimmer in the eyes in the distance. I wonder what thats all about.
I go back to the surface to get some food, only to find more than half the forts popluation running with furniture down into a hatch covered stair. They push me out of the way when I try to follow to find out whats going on.

After eating I go look for my friend near the "bones bones bones" as he calls it. He is not there, but I do find 2 extraordinary items.

Come to think of it, this is where both those dwarves with the eyes vanished. I wonder if there is a correlation.
Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: June 06, 2020, 10:13:04 am »

applet, Overpaca

The dwarves have called a meeting and apparently forgot to invite me. My friend was not invited either, so I don't take it personally.

I enter the room (I guess it's actually a smelting and forging area, lots of ores, bars, bags and green spirally things on the ground) just as the conversation gets going.

"There's a newly founded hillocks to the west, which is now under our jurisdiction" one of the dwarves say. "That means that we now need to have a count".

"Well, we should clearly promote the baron" I say, trying to minimize the spitting. "Then I can become the baron, it wouldn't look right with an alpaca in the highest post now, would it?".

The dwarves turn to me in silence. Then they turn back to each other.

Another dwarf mentions "We have a lot of followers of 'The Righteous Doctrines', we should establish a temple and appoint a priest".

"But we have no overseer this year" mumbles one of the dwarves. "I guess we'll have to leave it to the mayor to decide".

I clear my throat, accidentally spitting the talker all over, due to spit buildup from the last attempt to hold back. "We should grant this request, since we have shrines to other churches that have much fewer followers among us".

One of the dwarves laughs and several other giggle. I am unsure of what they find funny with what I've said.

I decide to leave the meeting, for there seems to be no more points to address as overseer.

"I can't believe he only hit you" I hear the laughing dwarf say on my way out.

I find my friend in an unfriendly mood again, he seems almost like a different personality. I worry the 'bones bones bones' are getting to him. He is very dedicated to them though.

Yet another of those glimmery eyed dwarves run past me in the stairwell. I decide to follow and see for myself if this one will make one of those extraordinary items.

On the way down I hear some excited screaming, but it's not a dwarf call. I'm too focused on keeping up with glimmer-eyes to pay much attention.

Glimmer-eyes throws out another dwarf from his workshop and proceeds to haul a rock to the workshop, then runs off. I stay, counting on that he'll come back to the workshop - and being too slow on the stairs to keep up anyway.

After a couple of runs with more things, glimmer-eyes starts working on something, but doesn't let me look. Hmmph.

I'll have to check back later I guess.

I check up on the workshop and find a strange contraption of extraordinary quality. Theres some images out of gems and bronze on the item. Looking closely I actually recognize the pictured cyclops and human.

I go upstairs to check - yes, they are sitting in cages among other caged animals, un-animals and other.. creatures.

I leave to ponder what I've just seen - the captured subjects being important enough to warrant likenesses on such an item.

Something has changed with my friend, now he listens even more patiently, even though he does wander a bit. I don't mind, he's slow and I like walking and talking.

The other dwarves look at me when we pass, not him. Curious. They do seem appreciative though, maybe he has no other friends?

Disaster! My friend is dead!

I snuggle up to his body to keep him warm while he passes to the great meadows.

Two dwarves appear, one going for my friend, the other coming straight for me.

"Come now, time to get back to the pasture" he says to me.

"What!" I say and spit to him. "I must attend my friend's funeral!"

"Hey now, theres no need for that attitude, come here." He leads me to the surface food. Oh well, maybe a snack is a good idea.

Notes to next player

Central heating has been the only real progress in the fort during my turn, it is in fact a pumpstack from the magma sea up to 1z below the surface. It should be possible to weaponize this - which was my original goal. Iron is magma safe, so dump magma on invaders, burn the stress-inducing bits, then gather up the iron for steel making.

Controls for reactor & pumpstack is here. The levers are named, with a matching floodgate/gear assembly named the same.
I actually didn't manage to start the reactor, too little water. Suggest to flip the "Fill reactor" lever and let the water build up, then release all at once to prevent evaporation. Right now it seems to evaporate faster than it fills. The reactor probably needs 2 manual pumping pumps to start, then you can flip the "on/off" switch for the stack.

You can shut off the reactor (And stop any lag) with the "drain reactor" lever. I am unsure of how much lag the pumpstack will generate, it is supposedly of a "low lag" design, but I haven't tested in this version.

I requested leather, iron ores, steel & iron anvils (for smelting), plaster from the dwarven caravan.

The cavern situation is the same as at the end of last turn, I had enough when the cave dragon showed up, together with a few mole things. So I just locked the hatch.

Clothes still need to be produced, tunics seem to be good for now, but socks, gloves, caps and trousers still need a few more. The main trouble with the clothesmaking is cancellation spam because the clothiers try to pick out of the same bin. Work orders make sure things retry properly.

Nobles are fulfilled, except that the mayor has a temporary office in jail so that he can meet stressed jailed dwarves.

In addition to the temple (which is just repurposed what seemed like an old stockpile) there was a craftsdwarf guildhall established.

We have a few too many dwarves.

Wasn't a problem in my case, but keep that in mind if you have fps issues.

On a related note, there are some stressed dwarves.

Maybe that can solve the issue of dwarfcount.

Also, I never fixed the soap situation xD.

Oh, and we have a visitor...

Save http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15103
Ledpaddled

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: June 06, 2020, 12:42:10 pm »

And with that ends the 16th decade of this world. I think I’ll check out the world in legends later...
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: June 06, 2020, 11:13:58 pm »

Rest in tiny peace, Moldath. You did great things for this fort.

Great work, applet!

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: June 07, 2020, 04:38:04 am »

That was quick applet ! Very nice round !
I guess its my turn now.
Terraria 1.4 will have to wait, this small fort needs me !
Expect an update by next week.

So we are lacking clothes ? Would it be okay to use candy for clothings ? Humm
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: June 07, 2020, 07:07:49 am »

So we are lacking clothes ? Would it be okay to use candy for clothings ? Humm

Not exactly lacking, but there's little or none to spare (depending on the type) - which is not ideal.
Ledpaddled

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: June 08, 2020, 08:13:35 am »

There we go !

OOC :
I'm trying something new with this comics' like narration.
IDK where this will lead, but I like it so far. Sadly, if I spot a typo, it's already too late to correct it.
I'm not native english, so typos will happen. Deel with it :D

See you later.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 08:35:26 am by Spriggans »

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: June 08, 2020, 09:22:31 am »

Wait, when did we take over Sinewsabres? It said it was dwarven because it was founded by dwarfs
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: June 15, 2020, 07:23:39 am »

...Spriggans? Are you there? No time-pressure, of course, but it’s understandable to be worried by a week without an update.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: June 16, 2020, 03:33:43 am »

Yeah. Work kicked in. I might get some play time by tomorrow. But we never know.
So far, I've only played like 5 days in game total ^^ I should get going ! :p

Let's say : if by the end of the week, I have not managed to get some play time, I will pass on the torch ;)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: June 16, 2020, 04:40:21 am »

Appreciate it, Spriggans. I was interested to see the comic style but if it's too much work, regular reports are fine!

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: June 16, 2020, 04:49:10 am »

Edit : Playing right now, and I have some interresting ideas. Expect an update by 16 GMT ;)
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 109