Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 109

Author Topic: Smallhands - nearly 40 years and still tiny!  (Read 408877 times)

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
Re: Smallhands - a small fort for small computers (small overseers welcome)
« Reply #465 on: July 19, 2020, 10:36:11 am »

fixed my post, here I thought I was keeping on top of things...

not sure why we'd want babies (unless they are meatshields) fresh migrants are more useful.

poor KingZultan, having to work against everyone for the sake of justice. Criminals must be punished!
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: July 19, 2020, 11:28:26 am »

fixed my post, here I thought I was keeping on top of things...

not sure why we'd want babies (unless they are meatshields) fresh migrants are more useful.

poor KingZultan, having to work against everyone for the sake of justice. Criminals must be punished!

The problem is that we run the risk of running out of dwarves to have as migrants. There’s a reason I noted that the population was also irreplaceable.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: July 19, 2020, 06:06:30 pm »

Babies are small.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: July 19, 2020, 10:07:16 pm »

===+ Journal of the Undying Overseer – Autumn 162 +===

1st Limestone

The change of season announces itself suddenly with a commotion on the surface. The enemy has come once again!

Elves wearing metal armour and lead by a ghoul. Servants of the necromancers! And judging by the reanimated birds, there is a necromancer skulking about as well.

I would dearly love to crush this force, but our recent losses have stressed the need for caution. Assemble in the arena, dwarves! Let them wear out their living forces fighting the birds first. You would think the necromancers would have learned the folly of mixing mindless undead and living soldiers by now.

Ah, there’s the necromancer! Getting mauled by her own skeletal giant blackbird!  Could it be that their control over their creations is waning while we possess the slabs?

Wait, who’s that out there? Sigun, you mad fool! Get back inside!

He panicked and leapt off the battlements! We can’t just leave him to die out there. Archers, give him cover! Everyone else, prepare for battle, we’re opening the gate!

Sigun! You suicidal lunatic! What are you doing? You can’t possibly fight them; you aren’t even armed! Get back to the fortress!

By Weevilmessiah, he’s still alive somehow. I watched him take a bolt to the head, but it must have bounced off his thick skull. The necromancer has fallen, slain by her own creation. Most of the elves retreated when she died. The stragglers are engaged with the blackbird for now. Meanwhile, Sigun is just stumbling around in a daze. Will someone please pull the damn lever before he draws their attention again?

Damn, the zombie buzzard took an interest in him. Hold on Sigun, we’re coming!

2nd Limestone

That’s the last of them. Sigun’s looking pretty rough with that bolt sticking out of his chest, but I think he’ll live. His long-term mental state is a bit less certain. Clearly, we need to rethink our fortifications so that doesn’t happen again.

13th Limestone

The dwarven caravan and our outpost liaison have arrived. We still have a lot of cleanup to do following the battle, but we’ll deal with them when we can. The bloody blackbirds flock here to feast on the carrion, and they are slowing our surface operations considerably.

21st Limestone

The liaison brings good news. In recognition of Smallhands’ growing influence, it is being elevated to a duchy. He also confirmed that the new queen has yet to be murdered by goblins.

Salmeuk will be pleased with his new title, although I’m not sure he really sees himself as a member of the nobility. In fact, I don’t think he’s ever made a single demand. Watching all of your friends die around you will do that, I suppose.

The trade agreement for next year seems reasonable, but that will be up to the next overseer to work out. To be honest, I have no idea what we agreed to last year.

11th Sandstone

Tosid, my second in command, has created a beautiful white jade door. Now we just need somewhere important enough to be gated by such an ornate entrance.

18th Sandstone

Today played host to a small event we haven’t seen in quite a while. A single migrant arrived at our walls and requested entry. The merchants must have told the homelands that we had a vacancy. He brings some modest skill in most farming activities. More importantly, he is not yet affected by the vile swamp fever, a very rare and valuable attribute in Smallhands these days. I think he will make a decent recruit to help repopulate the Rainbow Raptors.

Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: July 20, 2020, 05:33:12 am »

Wow, excellent drawing of the door. If the manager was going around outside...maybe he was looking for a dwarfy death?

Our export agreement looks decent, socks crowns and scepters? Seems her majesty is looking to replenish the regalia. Come to think of it do we even have a clothes production line?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: July 20, 2020, 06:19:57 am »

I really quite like the drawings, especially when there is an artifact and the way you draw them looks way nicer than they do in my head.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: July 20, 2020, 07:29:57 am »

Same. I'm also happy to hear we have another artifact door.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: July 20, 2020, 09:29:42 pm »

===+ Journal of the Undying Overseer – Autumn 162 +===

22nd Sandstone

The first clutch of giant blackbird eggs has hatched! There are three females and a male, and the mother immediately laid another clutch.

Of course, we’ll need to make more room for them. we’ve already culled the stray turkeys and chickens, but there are a few left who were once pets to long-dead owners. The butchers refuse to take them out of some misplaced sentimentality, so I’ll have to get creative.

In the meantime, I’ve decided to take a tally of everyone who is not yet suffering from the vile fever.

• Myself
  • Avuz Salvenobles, legendary weaponsmith
  • Tosid Cloisterwads, GraveWarden
  • KingZultan, Necromancer Hunter
  • Urvad Stakeglide, the new migrant
  • Sigun Cheerfultower, manager
  • Dumed Matchgorges

That’s all. Less than a fifth of our population remains uninfected. And while it’s always been seen as something the dwarves of Smallhands just have to live with, I’m starting to think it is a far more serious problem than we’ve given it credit. Our craftsdwarves can’t concentrate on their work. Even those of legendary skill rarely produce things beyond decent quality. The fever could very well have contributed to our tactical failings during the recent raids. If only there were something we could do to alleviate the symptoms.

3rd Timber

My little gift to the Rainbow Raptors is ready. Now they’ll finally look the part.

27th Timber

Joyous news! Nomal and Vabok, both GraveWardens, have had a child! They named him Dakost Copperflicker. To my knowledge, he is the first baby to be born in Smallhands

- Random human lord

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: July 20, 2020, 10:58:20 pm »

Idea...maybe for my turn.

If we wall off the goo section - any migrants that come that way will be trapped there and could be left to die. Wagons wouldn't appear there if there's no route, right? And raids are unlikely to path to that corner, but it'd still be possible.

The only cure for the fever is death, and those infected in Smallhands are likely to die soon anyway.

Ahem... Welcome Dakost! I assume you're free of the fever!

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: July 21, 2020, 07:53:15 am »

The only cure for the fever is death, and those infected in Smallhands are likely to die soon anyway.
Likely to die? Not really, except maybe for the militia. It doesn't seem to cause bad moods. What it does do is slow them down and (according to the wiki) apply a massive 50% skill reduction. It's basically like most of our dwarves are winded all the time.

I think migrants are safe to walk through the goo as long as they wear shoes. It's getting caught in the rain that will guarantee infection. And yes, the baby is uninfected.

Also, funny thing I found while poking around legends...

The farmer's guild is inflating their membership with dead dwarves!
                        - Random human lord

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: July 21, 2020, 07:59:28 am »

Wowoo ! A migrant AND a child ! We were lucky here ! Fresh blood !

So we have 7 or 8 feverish dwarves... Fever appears to reduce Focus, and, from my adventure mode experience, Focus is important to make good things.

As for healing it, Death cures everything I guess...  So that's correct. We'll just have to deal with it (unless we roleplay some DF-hacking, but I'm against it).
Maybe we could create a barrier around the goo area, so no new sick dorfs. But it might be a little overkill.

On a lighter note, Toady's last post reminded me of Echidnas, and I just found this lovely picture !

[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: July 21, 2020, 08:14:30 am »

Would a dwarven bathtub stop the spread of the goo to inside the fortress? Also, is the goo actually inside the fort? If so we might need to up soap production to clean as much up as possible, then see about stopping any more coming inside.

Focus is a huge factor to the quality, it knocks dwarves to about 50% skill

The only other thing we could do is build a roof over the affected area while our unaffected dwarves are burrowed away

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: July 21, 2020, 08:16:50 am »

Likely to die? Not really, except maybe for the militia. It doesn't seem to cause bad moods. What it does do is slow them down and (according to the wiki) apply a massive 50% skill reduction. It's basically like most of our dwarves are winded all the time.

I think migrants are safe to walk through the goo as long as they wear shoes. It's getting caught in the rain that will guarantee infection. And yes, the baby is uninfected.

Also, funny thing I found while poking around legends...

The farmer's guild is inflating their membership with dead dwarves!
To be fair, the line between dead citizens and living citizens in Smallhands is blurrier than most fortresses.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: July 21, 2020, 08:21:09 am »

Would a dwarven bathtub stop the spread of the goo to inside the fortress? Also, is the goo actually inside the fort? If so we might need to up soap production to clean as much up as possible, then see about stopping any more coming inside.

The goo is outside AFAIK, and if it touches you. That's it ! You are cursed for a life of fever.
The fever actually cycles on and off, so cleaning it away won't cut it off.
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: July 21, 2020, 08:27:08 am »

So we have 7 or 8 feverish dwarves... Fever appears to reduce Focus, and, from my adventure mode experience, Focus is important to make good things.
You misread, those are the ones that don't have the fever. 33 of the dwarves are infected.
                        - Random human lord
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 109