Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 109

Author Topic: Smallhands - nearly 40 years and still tiny!  (Read 411850 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Smallhands - a small fort for small computers (small overseers welcome)
« Reply #615 on: September 20, 2020, 01:17:03 am »

Smallhands: Year 164

Summer

=Journal of Reg Pickcrab=
(definitely not 12000 bees in a trench coat)

Our continued effort to improve efficiency began to run into some difficulty as the worker drones began to wall themselves in and potentially dehydrate themselves to death. Below the hive, there are many exploratory tunnels looking for valuable pollen minerals and metals. Some were also clearly designed to be entry ways into the caverns, but were abandoned due to better judgement. I assigned several of these to be walled off totally. In 3 out of 12 instances, dwarves managed to build the wall behind themselves. We worry there is some sort of brain infection common among the worker drones. No lives were lost, though.

Inspecting the stocks, we have a multitude of statues dedicated to one of the dwarves named "Recon". This tavern drone must be very important.

Although the dwarves seemed excited to have a visitor, I was worried about the green color of their name... Elves are often overly protective of flowers and are known to swat honeybees collecting pollen. I asked KingZultan to check things out and followed the Elf closely.

Meanwhile, I noticed some of the dwarves were complaining about this:

We thought dwarves liked bones - since almost everything in the fort is made of and decorated with bones. Auze informed me that these were bad bones, though - also there were many of them. The hive began to drag them to the crushing room, to remove them from sight and also existence. There will be no bad bones in my hive.

How can this bee? Tholtig, one of the members of the fortress, acted against the interests of the fortress? I cannot comprehend it! KingZultan, do what you must! KingZultan marched off to interrogate Tholtig and arrest him. I also interrogated Auze about bad bones, but there were no results.

At the very least, we have successfully captured Lapama. We have been informed that this type of elf does not eat. I recommend just walling them into the fort forever.

Some humans arrived with big monsters filled with items they wanted to give us. But not just give us, they wanted us to give them things first. I don't understand this, so Auze took care of it. The humans also brought this news:

We are doing a great job with this overseeing business. Nothing bad is happening at all!

-=-=-=-=-

OOC:
Mysterious bone pile isn't the first time there's just been a bunch of dead things collected in one space. Was this a clean-up strategy of someone else, or is this just a weird ass bug. I also found every part of an elf in a store-room in a single pile. I also found about 100 bolts in a pile on this same level, but cleaned them up.

I'm also cleaning up and forbidding stuff in hallways or on the surface - a few dead visitors seem to have left behind some clothes and wooden weapons.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 01:20:39 am by delphonso »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: September 20, 2020, 04:02:25 am »

He is jealous of my necromancer hunting skills, I better kick his ass and throw him in jail!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: September 20, 2020, 04:29:06 am »

The mysterious bone pile is really mysterious; I don't think it's because of a dump zone, and even if it were, somebody should have marked the corpse chunks for dumping in the first place.

About the mysterious corpse-filled room in the third cavern - I guess you're talking about this one?

I recall briefly designating a corpse pile in it, after the cavern was sealed; I wanted to make more butcher's shops and let dwarves work through the backlog of skeletons. I gave up for two reasons: because my turn was close to ending, and because there wasn't that much of a benefit compared to hauling corpses up to the already-existing butchery.

The very existence of all these corpses might be a source of lag; there were reports of it, in older versions.

Now, in completely different news: for some unfathomable reason, we are at peace with the goddamn tower. Which is why I ask your opinion on what to do in my looming turn: do I, or do I not, put almost all dwarves in military squads, and send them to raze the tower? Do you want named dwarves out of this, or not? Do you want to pillage instead of raze? Do you have any other ideas?

(By the way, did you know that if you send your mayor or baron on a raid, they lose their room assignment?)
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: September 20, 2020, 05:10:40 am »

I've been thankful for the peacefulness - the tankard is completely open to the air, but probably unclimbable and doors are the only barrier to our fortress. Luckily, there haven't been zombie trolls yet... I'm installing some secondary shutdown options in case the tankard is compromised, but I'm also trying to patch up the wall another z level or two - but work is slow...

I'm open for risky behaviour but I'm a coward and won't do it myself (at least not when I'm not playing with 100% attention). If you want to send any of my named characters to their deaths, i'm open to it. Honestly we need some dwarves to die so we can refresh with a feverless population.

I think the Lone Survivor should stay safe though. I want Sal to die of old age.

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: September 20, 2020, 05:11:01 am »

Alright, sign me up for another turn, clearly central heating needs to be brought to the surface.
Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

After 3 days, the new cat explodes.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: September 20, 2020, 07:28:10 am »

The tankard was completed I think 3 or 4 Z-levels high, which is unclimbable, it is also mostly roofed now in the cup part (the handle not so much)
I make no apologies for the masses of statues of my glorious dying skills. I did not specify anything, I just demanded 100 rock statues trying to get some masterworks and apparently I made a lot of masterfully dyed items

the elf parts was me, literally. My dwarf executed the Elf prince/diplomat/necromancer to be there for trying to go to the slab chamber. She ended up dismembering his leg, arm and then a clean cut on the neck.

I've been replaced as mayor? NOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: September 20, 2020, 10:02:00 am »

The inner thoughts of an Alpaca
applet, Ex-overpaca

I finally figured it out! They do it with their face-wool!

I managed to sneak after one of them when they went to work and I saw it, they make images and text on the walls with their face-wool!

How ingenius!

...and come to think of it, I have a lot more wool then them.. therefore..

And if you think alpacas don't bounce... well.
Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: September 20, 2020, 11:52:54 am »

Now, in completely different news: for some unfathomable reason, we are at peace with the goddamn tower. Which is why I ask your opinion on what to do in my looming turn: do I, or do I not, put almost all dwarves in military squads, and send them to raze the tower? Do you want named dwarves out of this, or not? Do you want to pillage instead of raze? Do you have any other ideas?

Destroy the tower! Raze it to the ground! Slay the chief necromancer and hunt his apprentices to the ends of the earth!
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: September 21, 2020, 07:30:59 am »

Boo peace is for elves, +1 to burning the tower to the ground!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: September 21, 2020, 07:42:31 am »

bring down the tower!

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: September 23, 2020, 03:00:45 pm »

Looking at Legend Viewer, it appears that we have the majority of the world turkey population. So I guess we did at least one thing right.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: September 24, 2020, 03:31:14 am »

Looking at Legend Viewer, it appears that we have the majority of the world turkey population. So I guess we did at least one thing right.

The Animal Daycare is coming along nicely. Many animals have been put inside, for their safety and comfort.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Maybe that's not the case anymore XD
Ledpaddled

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: September 24, 2020, 03:59:52 am »

Yeah. Yeah. Puppies are dying...

But it's the DF equivalent of modern world : us, humans, are killing polar bears and koalas, but our beloved house cats are multiplying.
Here in DF, the dwarves are killing beak dogs and puppies so their beloved turkeys can thrive.

I see no problem here.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 04:02:26 am by Spriggans »
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: September 24, 2020, 05:21:16 am »

Yeah, I don't think the turkeys made the cut - replaced by beakdog meat and eggs. Look guys, they're exactly like turkeys but they're the size of a goblin and rainbow patterned. Explain to me how that's worse.

I've been crazy busy starting a new job - I'm the first foreign teacher ever to arrive at this school, so they're overwhelmed just by my presence. I'll get some time to play in a few days and will update then.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: September 24, 2020, 05:31:35 am »

Simple: beakdogs are much more dangerous if they go berserk, and we have a couple in cages (or had? I tried dumping them in my turn+the troll but couldn't get the dwarves to do it) whereas turkeys...arent. usually.

I don't want a reminder of that turkey that once killed my legendary macedwarf via peck to the liver
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 109