Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we mod in Platinum blunt weapons and armour?

Yay!
- 0 (0%)
Nay!
- 0 (0%)
Maybe... (Please elaborate in a post)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 25, 2020, 03:39:38 am

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24

Author Topic: Smithsoldier, Year 12: Clothes, Madness, and Beasts (And Candy) [47.04]  (Read 58305 times)

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for being here, my time machine broke.
    • View Profile
Re: Smithsoldier - Succession Game [47.03]
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2020, 12:42:45 am »

Wow, never realized how weird it is to see something you've worked on in a different texture pack.
And thus was the dwarven meatshield invented.
the child should serve well in the infantry (that is a horrible pun, and I already regret saying it).

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2020, 01:34:10 am »

Wow, never realized how weird it is to see something you've worked on in a different texture pack.

If it is too much I can always switch back. I have also changed the color and that sometimes adds to the confusion.

I am dropping some of the wood (over 6500 logs lol) down a mineshaft. . . here's to day 1 of no accidents. .

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2020, 03:09:45 am »

If it is too much I can always switch back. I have also changed the color and that sometimes adds to the confusion.

I am dropping some of the wood (over 6500 logs lol) down a mineshaft. . . here's to day 1 of no accidents. .

(Thanks for the earlier welcome. Somewhat belated: great work on the fort, DL.)

Armok above, I didn't expect that many logs to be cut down. I would advise DAS-ing some with the one we have set up, if the FPS starts falling.

Using the texture pack should be fine, as long as it's switched back to the default when you go to upload the file.

Also, that little exchange about the logs is brilliant.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2020, 10:34:33 am »

Funnily, I ordered chopping down more trees because we were running out of wood. (Also, I was trying to clear a path for the caravans)
the child should serve well in the infantry (that is a horrible pun, and I already regret saying it).

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2020, 04:45:44 pm »

The Story of Doren's Year

Doren Rigòththad immigrated to Smithsoldiers in the year 176, bringing with him his family consisting of a wife and three young children. Or at least that's what he would tell you. Truthfully, it was the other way around - his wife Zon was appointed Commander of Smithsoldiers and brought her family along. Zon was an expert spearfighter who had spent long years training in the Queen's guard. On her shoulders rested the fate of Smithsoldiers, for Smithsoldiers was located deep in goblin territory and it was combat that would decide whether or not the fortress could survive. While she was necessary, he was not, and so Doren only immigrated by permission of the Queen with the favor of his wife.

Doren was a simple smith, and not a very good one at that. However, the work at Smithsoldier was much more varied than back at the mountainhome. He often found himself performing odd jobs that kept the fortress running. He worked as a mason for a time, then as a floor-smoother, then he spent a few months building walls and floors aboveground. Always he was hauling, moving goods back and forth and generally doing
everything except what he was trained to do. He didn't mind the other work, but all he thought about was his craft. At this rate, he would grow old and die before seeing his dream fullfilled: the crafting of a masterwork.

This winter brought and end to the leadership of the appropriately named DwarvenLord, and it was here that his wife suggested he control the work of the fortress and take over the role of administrator and overseer.

Certainly, if Zon suggested something in this fortress, it was not so much a suggestion as an
order, and everyone knew this. Zon had seen a steady decline in the quantity of arms and armor made by the smiths, and believed that if Doren were to control the administration for a term, he could solve the issue. Zon was much to busy with training to get involved, and she truly believed Doren had what it would take to run things, for at least a while.

And so in the spring of year 177, Doren Rigòththad has assumed the role of fortress administrator. Before him, a full year of responsibility and change. What might come of his actions? Does he carry the right kind of mind for the work? Only time shall tell.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2020, 08:00:08 pm »

Here is a unit list for those wishing to be dwarfed! And for future reference.

Quantum, did you have a dwarf you wished to name? Or was your position more. . . ethereal?
Funnily, I ordered chopping down more trees because we were running out of wood. (Also, I was trying to clear a path for the caravans)

I mean, you definitely solved those two problems lol. It's cool though, by dumping sections of the wood when the dwarves have downtime, I can keep the hauling from getting out of control. And the drop shaft saves them about a day of walking down to the mines. Minecarts are cool and all, but when you just need to move objects deeper I find dropping them makes waaaay more sense. .

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2020, 12:19:12 pm »

Here sits Monom Rigòthegeb, a skinny, middle-aged dwarf whose appearance is almost too normal. Monom is crippled by shyness, and as such has no friends and doesn't talk to his family. He believes in TOBUL THE MINE OF GEMS, a dwarven god associated with earth, but you could hardly describe him as a worshiper - he only gives token offerings when he's about to go hunting for gemstones.

He hasn't been very happy lately. Monom is the fortress jeweler, and in a fortress founded for the purposes of war and provocation, there isn't much work for a dwarf who cuts little pieces of shiny rock into even smaller pieces of shiny rock. However, his fortune  is about to change.

Journal of Monom, Early Spring 177

This place sucks. I have no idea what the recruiter was smoking but oh. my. god. this place is not at all like what I was told it would be. Sure, the mines are strewn with raw gemstones the size of my head, and unlike the mountainhome I have no competition when it comes to who gets to cut the rarest gems, but have I actually been able to practice my craft? NO!! I've been at Smithsoldiers for two seasons now, and all I've done is haul wood. That's all most of us do. No, I don't know why, all I know is that outside, it smells like moss and fresh air and blooming wildflowers. And that's terrible!

There's a new guy in charge - Doren. He's the know-nothing husband of Zon, who everyone knows is the corrupt queen's lackey. No doubt he shouldn't be here, as he's a novice in what he does (smithing, I believe). How he was allowed to take the role of administrator is anybody's guess, though I would bet my steady hands that it had something to do with Zon.

That's how this little outpost got started, by the way - the queen wanted a war to quiet the nobility back home, so Zon agreed to spearhead a preemptive strike against the goblins. I didn't know any of this before I arrived, I've just heard the talk around the tavern, but it all makes sense to me. This civilization is corrupt as hell. Oh how naive I was, to think that the lies and deception wouldn't follow me here, to think I would have a fresh start on the frontier.

I'd like to have a word with the dwarf that got me signed up for this place.

Journal of Monom, Spring 177

Doren's first move was surprisingly good - a push to discover and breach the cavern layers. All jeweler's know that the exposed rock surfaces of the caverns are the best places to hunt for veins of gemstone. If enough gems are discovered, someone might finally remember I exist.

Doren also spoke of a grand 'labor reassignment' in the next month, but wouldn't give any details - I wonder what he means?

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2020, 03:00:50 pm »

Here sits Monom Rigòthegeb, a skinny, middle-aged dwarf whose appearance is almost too normal. Monom is crippled by shyness, and as such has no friends and doesn't talk to his family. He believes in TOBUL THE MINE OF GEMS, a dwarven god associated with earth, but you could hardly describe him as a worshiper - he only gives token offerings when he's about to go hunting for gemstones.

He hasn't been very happy lately. Monom is the fortress jeweler, and in a fortress founded for the purposes of war and provocation, there isn't much work for a dwarf who cuts little pieces of shiny rock into even smaller pieces of shiny rock. However, his fortune  is about to change.

This place sucks. I have no idea what the recruiter was smoking but oh. my. god. this place is not at all like what I was told it would be. Sure, the mines are strewn with raw gemstones the size of my head, and unlike the mountainhome I have no competition when it comes to who gets to cut the rarest gems, but have I actually been able to practice my craft? NO!! I've been at Smithsoldiers for two seasons now, and all I've done is haul wood. That's all most of us do. No, I don't know why, all I know is that outside, it smells like moss and fresh air and blooming wildflowers. And that's terrible!

There's a new guy in charge - Doren. He's the know-nothing husband of Zon, who everyone knows is the corrupt queen's lackey. No doubt he shouldn't be here, as he's a novice in what he does (smithing, I believe). How he was allowed to take the role of administrator is anybody's guess, though I would bet my steady hands that it had something to do with Zon.

That's how this little outpost got started, by the way - the queen wanted a war to quiet the nobility back home, so Zon agreed to spearhead a preemptive strike against the goblins. I didn't know any of this before I arrived, I've just heard the talk around the tavern, but it all makes sense to me. This civilization is corrupt as hell. Oh how naive I was, to think that the lies and deception wouldn't follow me here, to think I would have a fresh start on the frontier.

Doren's first move was surprisingly good - a push to discover and breach the cavern layers. All jeweler's know that the exposed rock surfaces of the caverns are the best places to hunt for veins of gemstone. If enough gems are discovered, someone might finally remember I exist.

Doren also spoke of a grand 'labor reassignment' in the next month, but wouldn't give any details - I wonder what he means?

"That recruiter probably got into the Quarry Bushes. 'Divinely-inspired visions' my bony arse."

Good to see you've breached the caverns. Hopefully, Fun will come up from them. The gems and such'll all be great: with all the gold, silver, and iron we have lying around, if we start ramping up crafts production, we might as well just buy the next caravan that comes along. As in, buy both the goods and the caravan. Or just bling out the military, since silver (I think) is fairly good for war hammers.

That labour reassignment thing - something to do with the smiths? Something tells me the grumpy little Jeweller might not be too happy with what he finds. Just have to wait and see, I guess.

The writing you've done so far's quite good: I like the little bits of humour, and the characterisation's pretty good from what I've seen so far.  Keep up the good work and writing.

P.S.: I'd go with keeping my dwarf unnamed.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2020, 04:04:25 pm »

"That recruiter probably got into the Quarry Bushes. 'Divinely-inspired visions' my bony arse."

Good to see you've breached the caverns. Hopefully, Fun will come up from them. The gems and such'll all be great: with all the gold, silver, and iron we have lying around, if we start ramping up crafts production, we might as well just buy the next caravan that comes along. As in, buy both the goods and the caravan. Or just bling out the military, since silver (I think) is fairly good for war hammers.

That labour reassignment thing - something to do with the smiths? Something tells me the grumpy little Jeweller might not be too happy with what he finds. Just have to wait and see, I guess.

The writing you've done so far's quite good: I like the little bits of humour, and the characterisation's pretty good from what I've seen so far.  Keep up the good work and writing.

P.S.: I'd go with keeping my dwarf unnamed.
Platinum is the best, but you can only get platinum hammers from artifacts. Silver is the best weapons-grade warhammer material.

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2020, 04:47:43 pm »

Any news on the fort?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2020, 01:33:17 pm »

Had a busy week, now that it's the weekend expect an update later today  :D

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2020, 03:39:30 pm »

Don't really blame you- I'm pretty sure it's been a hellish week for everyone.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2020, 08:17:29 pm »

"What is your name?"

"Zuglar Idenmat, though my friends call me Zug."

"What are your skills?"

"Sir, I have made cheese for thirty years. Before me, my mother made cheese. And her mother as well. And her mother's mother, my great grandmother, was the first dwarf to milk an antelope. And do you know what she did with that milk? She made cheese from it! I have made every kind of the cheese there is, from blue to sour and even the kind with little maggots in it. I have sold cheese wheels worth more than all the wealth in this fortress. To sum it up, I am an expert in the field of cheese."

"Do you have two hands?"

"I . . . what?"

"I said, do you have two functioning hands? Any history of nerve damage?"

Zuglar looks down at his hands, who wave back at him in a profoundly functional way.

"I uh, yes to the first question and no to the second. But I can assure you, one can easily make cheese with just one arm, I used to know a guy in my hometown who did just that! His name was Gode-"

"That's enough, thank you."
With a solid thwack, the lone dwarf behind the long desk stamps a thin paper, which is then signed and place into a waiting pile to the side.

"Our migration officers have concluded their review of your information. You have been volunteered for the axe militia. You can pick up your gear on the third floor, near the smithy. Due to a need for cohesion between soldiers, you will not be assigned private quarters and will need to collect any other belongings and bring them to the first floor barracks. If you have any questions talk to Asën, your captain. Thank you and have a nice day."

Zuglar, who is so shocked he cannot move or speak (though he could probably make cheese, such is his skill), is then grabbed by a waiting burly-dwarf and kicked out of the room.

"Next!"

Journal of Salmeuk, Administrator - Mid Spring 177

I don't have much time to write, as I have another round of dwarves to interview. But this recruitment is going well - as I expected, half of the workless dwarves are fit for military duty. Some of them are even trained soliders! They are a lazy lot, but most are strong enough to take a beating. The other, weaker dwarves are being placed into one of four standardized roles, either laborer or craftsdwarf, or farmer or smith. Simply put, we don't have time for beekeeping, nor cheesemaking, nor any of the other more willowy kinds of pursuits the less practical types get up to back at the mountainhome. At least, that's what Zon tells me. She says, 'More soliders! More weapons! The goblins are coming!' and who am I to argue? I've never even _seen_ a goblin, and frankly I hope I never do. Why do you think I married Zon?

I must go, but take note - this job is not as difficult as I imagined it would be.

Journal of Salmeuk, Administrator - Late Spring 177

Working with our architects, we designed an insulated cavern pasture for our grazing animals in the event of a siege.

Construction continues down at the forges. The structures are mostly complete, but none of the ore and fuel has moved yet.

A small stoneworks has been located near the forges.

I talked with the mechanics, and they have been busy expanding our cage trap defenses. There was mention of a second layer of traps, as well.

Summer has arrived.

------------------------------------------

Tell me about it, I live in Seattle, it's a bit crazy around here to say the least. Luckily I've got DF to keep me busy inside.

here, suggest to me a new name for our hammerdwarf squad! I made two new axe squads, The Black Axee and The Crescent Blades, while Zon's Razor is a speardwarf squad.

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2020, 08:33:49 pm »

"What is your name?"

"Zuglar Idenmat, though my friends call me Zug."

"What are your skills?"

"Sir, I have made cheese for thirty years. Before me, my mother made cheese. And her mother as well. And her mother's mother, my great grandmother, was the first dwarf to milk an antelope. And do you know what she did with that milk? She made cheese from it! I have made every kind of the cheese there is, from blue to sour and even the kind with little maggots in it. I have sold cheese wheels worth more than all the wealth in this fortress. To sum it up, I am an expert in the field of cheese."

"Do you have two hands?"

"I . . . what?"

"I said, do you have two functioning hands? Any history of nerve damage?"

Zuglar looks down at his hands, who wave back at him in a profoundly functional way.

"I uh, yes to the first question and no to the second. But I can assure you, one can easily make cheese with just one arm, I used to know a guy in my hometown who did just that! His name was Gode-"

"That's enough, thank you."
With a solid thwack, the lone dwarf behind the long desk stamps a thin paper, which is then signed and place into a waiting pile to the side.

"Our migration officers have concluded their review of your information. You have been volunteered for the axe militia. You can pick up your gear on the third floor, near the smithy. Due to a need for cohesion between soldiers, you will not be assigned private quarters and will need to collect any other belongings and bring them to the first floor barracks. If you have any questions talk to Asën, your captain. Thank you and have a nice day."

Zuglar, who is so shocked he cannot move or speak (though he could probably make cheese, such is his skill), is then grabbed by a waiting burly-dwarf and kicked out of the room.

"Next!"

Journal of Salmeuk, Administrator - Mid Spring 177

I don't have much time to write, as I have another round of dwarves to interview. But this recruitment is going well - as I expected, half of the workless dwarves are fit for military duty. Some of them are even trained soliders! They are a lazy lot, but most are strong enough to take a beating. The other, weaker dwarves are being placed into one of four standardized roles, either laborer or craftsdwarf, or farmer or smith. Simply put, we don't have time for beekeeping, nor cheesemaking, nor any of the other more willowy kinds of pursuits the less practical types get up to back at the mountainhome. At least, that's what Zon tells me. She says, 'More soliders! More weapons! The goblins are coming!' and who am I to argue? I've never even _seen_ a goblin, and frankly I hope I never do. Why do you think I married Zon?

I must go, but take note - this job is not as difficult as I imagined it would be.

Journal of Salmeuk, Administrator - Late Spring 177

Working with our architects, we designed an insulated cavern pasture for our grazing animals in the event of a siege.

Construction continues down at the forges. The structures are mostly complete, but none of the ore and fuel has moved yet.

A small stoneworks has been located near the forges.

I talked with the mechanics, and they have been busy expanding our cage trap defenses. There was mention of a second layer of traps, as well.

Summer has arrived.

------------------------------------------

Tell me about it, I live in Seattle, it's a bit crazy around here to say the least. Luckily I've got DF to keep me busy inside.

here, suggest to me a new name for our hammerdwarf squad! I made two new axe squads, The Black Axee and The Crescent Blades, while Zon's Razor is a speardwarf squad.

Heh, I could probably drive to you within an hour if I really wanted to.
The Slammerlords for the squad name- it's too cheesy to pass up.
EDIT: Just learnt "Zon" means helm. Perfect.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2020, 06:49:37 am »

I fully support that Hammerdwarf squad's name.

That interview scene was quite well-written, and I'll admit I laughed at the cheesemaker's 'volunteering'. Keep up the good writing.

A second layer of traps would be good - I'd advise putting them up top, where the migrants (I think) usually come from and where our highest walls are. Would let us cover our collective rears, rather than finding a Beak Dog chomping on them.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24