Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we mod in Platinum blunt weapons and armour?

Yay!
- 0 (0%)
Nay!
- 0 (0%)
Maybe... (Please elaborate in a post)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 25, 2020, 03:39:38 am

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 24

Author Topic: Smithsoldier, Year 12: Clothes, Madness, and Beasts (And Candy) [47.04]  (Read 58285 times)

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
Re: Smithsoldier Year 5 - Succession Game (Overseers Wanted) [47.04]
« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2020, 01:23:25 pm »

Whenever I extract the file, it either spews all the .dat stuff right into the saves folder and doesn't show up in the game, or I make a folder for it and then extract it, and it still doesn't show.

Just did some testing: for some reason, making a 'new folder' then extracting into that folder causes it to no-show. If you're using Winrar, try extracting the region4 folder direct to the 'save' folder, so that the path looks something like C:\Users\Username\Documents\df_47_04_win\data\save. This should help with the second bit.

File should be here, having been reuploaded.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for being here, my time machine broke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2020, 06:17:29 pm »

Whenever I do that, all the small unit files and raws and stuff fill the file, not in a nice neat "region4" file.
And thus was the dwarven meatshield invented.
the child should serve well in the infantry (that is a horrible pun, and I already regret saying it).

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 06, 2020, 05:22:21 am »

Whenever I do that, all the small unit files and raws and stuff fill the file, not in a nice neat "region4" file.

In that case, try making a new 'region4' folder, then highlighting/mass-selecting all the small unit files, world file, and the 'raw' folder, then copying them into the new 'region4' folder. Delete the bits you've copied from outside the region4 file when you're done. That seems to work on my end.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 06, 2020, 09:16:28 am »

It's confirmed, it was the second one. I was still on 47.03 still, just had to update- though the upload did automatically make the nice neat folder. I'll start my turn today.
the child should serve well in the infantry (that is a horrible pun, and I already regret saying it).

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 06, 2020, 09:41:21 am »

It's confirmed, it was the second one. I was still on 47.03 still, just had to update- though the upload did automatically make the nice neat folder. I'll start my turn today.

Good to hear. Good luck with the siege.

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 06, 2020, 10:24:58 am »

Looking forward to your adventures!  8)

I'm tempted to volunteer as overseer. I downloaded the save (and 47.04), and I seem to have no issues...

There are some things I'd like to clear, before I officially put my name down:

1. can I use Dwarf Therapist?

2. for that matter, can I use DFHack? I'm not going to start spamming adamantine or something, but there are some subtle functionalities that really up the quality - displaying calendar on-screen, the search function in lists, and remembering the last-used material on building & the mouse position, for instance... Other than that, I use quicksave and cleanowned, and occasionally getplants to mass-designate some plant/tree.

And another thing, unrelated to any prospective overseeing: how exactly do the issues with tile sets crop up? It's my understanding that tilesets are defined in \data\init\init.txt, with graphical bits copied in \data\art? How is this supposed to impact a save?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 10:38:25 am by StrikaAmaru »
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 06, 2020, 10:25:51 am »

1st of Granite, 179
W-what? No! I don't want to be overseer- especially not now! I'm just a humble mason! Please!
What do you say? It's only my turn because DwarvenLord is inaccessible and he named me as his backup? Hmmm...

1st of Granite? 2nd, perhaps? who knows anymore
Two years. Two years stuck in this room with nothing but my thoughts and it- the beast. Oh, and I guess this chair and table. Two years since that fight where I was cursed forever. Two years since I have heard music, the domain of my god, Stistras. I should of enjoyed it more while it last. So many years, doing nothing but chipping away at the rock, years where my only memories was my pick and the stone- broken with the slightly different monotony of ore and gems. And yet I never had time to admire those wonderful gifts of the earth... only to carve them out of the never ending rock. I guess I convinced myself I liked it- enjoyed the decades  of mining, stopping only to eat, drink and sleep. Whenever there were no orders to mine- which is rare, in a fortress.
How ironic it is, I suppose, to be surrounded by rock for all time and eternity- even worse, there is nothing but mudstone. The only break in the never ending monotony is the beast- the horrible scaly thing that tears out of my body every full moon and hijacks my body- I would rather keep the endless mudstone then. At least I can't hurt anyone in here.
Wait, what's that sound?

(OOC: Small problem. I can't station any of our melee squads due to the missing people, but I can't kick the missing people out because the game won't let me. I guess we'll have to wait this one out...)

2nd of Granite, 179
Carve out the fortification! It isn't safe to let him out, but we can still communicate.

(Where's the lever that opens the front bridge? It's an emergency- the gobbo forces which include nearly 2 pages of invaders are really close, and I flipped the lever in the little alcove up front and nothing happened.)

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 06, 2020, 10:35:42 am »

(Where's the lever that opens the front bridge? It's an emergency- the gobbo forces which include nearly 2 pages of invaders are really close, and I flipped the lever in the little alcove up front and nothing happened.)

It's on level 144, south of the trade depot. There are 3 levers there, it's the left-most one. If you check [N]otes, it's called "Front Bridge Lever".

And a tip, obtained by parallel playing:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 10:37:45 am by StrikaAmaru »
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 06, 2020, 11:03:35 am »

2nd-4th of Granite, 179
Okay, now that I can talk to people, straight to business- It appears that quite a few dwarves got caught both in the tower and outside the gates- I've ordered all the doors to lock and the drawbridge is already up. I'm also walling up the door to the tower, just to be safe. I doubt any inside the tower will survive.

5th of Granite, 179
Oh, and of course the brewer is taken by a mood now. I'm also carving some fortifications into the front wall so our marksdwarves can fire at the damned gobbos. We'll have to wait them out...
(OOC: Did a small test to see if the available miltary would be able to deal with it. They weren't, and I savescummed. This is going to be messy.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 06, 2020, 01:55:02 pm »

Looking forward to your adventures!  8)

I'm tempted to volunteer as overseer. I downloaded the save (and 47.04), and I seem to have no issues...

There are some things I'd like to clear, before I officially put my name down:

1. can I use Dwarf Therapist?

2. for that matter, can I use DFHack? I'm not going to start spamming adamantine or something, but there are some subtle functionalities that really up the quality - displaying calendar on-screen, the search function in lists, and remembering the last-used material on building & the mouse position, for instance... Other than that, I use quicksave and cleanowned, and occasionally getplants to mass-designate some plant/tree.

And another thing, unrelated to any prospective overseeing: how exactly do the issues with tile sets crop up? It's my understanding that tilesets are defined in \data\init\init.txt, with graphical bits copied in \data\art? How is this supposed to impact a save?

Go ahead with 1 and 2 - as long as they work in 47.04, there shouldn't be any problem.

With the tilesets, that's something left over from before I found out they wouldn't impact the save (I think, at least. Never used one). Just haven't edited it out of the rules yet.

EDIT: DL, IIRC, you can select individuals from the squads, then station them. In hindsight, not sealing the tower was a mistake, though that wall should stop 'em. Luring them onto the bridge, then pulling the lever in the manager's office (near the main stairs, labelled 'Front Bridge' or similar) twice could screw the first wave over, though you might need the remaining military near the entrance to deal with any getting across. 

EDIT2: Oh. Well, crap.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 03:31:20 pm by Quantum Drop »

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 06, 2020, 03:18:29 pm »

I did station them and they were still crushed in the test. I'm also afraid our miltary would get caught on the bridge too, or we couln't close the bridge in time- they're waiting directly in front of the bridge.

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 07, 2020, 01:24:18 am »

With the tilesets, that's something left over from before I found out they wouldn't impact the save (I think, at least. Never used one). Just haven't edited it out of the rules yet.

Well, I played around a bit - we were both kinda right and kinda wrong: all of the above are needed to switch graphics, but there are changes required in the save too, mostly to properly paint animals and items. They all seem contained in the save's \raw folder.

I copied \art, \graphics and \init from an older save (not sure HOW old, it was a 47.03 but I think that one was modified from a 44.12 save), and it seems to work fine. So it's pretty easy to make a duplicate in a community folder, play with whatever you want, then when it's time to pass on the fort, zip the save with the 'old' raw folder.

[Edit] On a completely unrelated note, I'd like a dorfing from the migrant wave immediately before taking my turn, or nearby. That seems to be after Salmeuk's turn, and thus can wait for a few weeks; I'll make a 'proper' request after his turn starts.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 03:11:38 am by StrikaAmaru »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 07, 2020, 11:28:50 am »

StrikaAmaru, since you're new you're welcome to take my spot! I can just play after. Truly no problem since I am also journaling for Smallhands right now.

Dwarvenlord, I liked your entry about being trapped in the room for year after year. We might have to do something about that, it's practically torture!

Assuming, of course, we aren't all slaughtered by the gobbos. Is there a way to hastily wall off the inner fortress? IIRC I installed an artifact hatch cover that should seal off the surface fortress, if they're climbing over the walls.

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 07, 2020, 01:36:25 pm »

StrikaAmaru, since you're new you're welcome to take my spot! I can just play after. Truly no problem since I am also journaling for Smallhands right now.

Thank you! If it's better for you, we can swap with no issues. My schedule is fairly consistent - I'll be playing the same way, either next turn or in 2 turns.

Is there a way to hastily wall off the inner fortress? IIRC I installed an artifact hatch cover that should seal off the surface fortress, if they're climbing over the walls.

No need for such drastic measures - the fort can be adequately sealed by raising a drawbridge, and locking a door at the base of the tower. Gobbos could in theory climb the tower, and descend into the inner courtyard, but in practice I played around 2 months, with nothing like that happening.

We're proper screwed if we get any hostile fliers, though.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 02:19:08 pm by StrikaAmaru »

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 08, 2020, 04:38:07 pm »

7th of Granite, 179
Oh, a wonderful idea just appeared in my mind. The gobbos are clumped outside the gate, right?
Hehehe, this is going to be wonderful...

12th of Granite, 179
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Let's hope it's not prophetic...

21th of granite, 179
Come on, you wimps! They can't get you through the wall- Just go build that ballistics already! No? If I build a zig-zag wall so you can't see them, will you be okay then? You can't build the wall because of the enemies? Dammit!

(This is a real problem- I can't build the ballista (or do anything else in the courtyard-thing) because every time someone tries, they get scared away by the enemy outsde the walls. This also applies to the entire hallway leading into the fortress- any suggestions?)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 04:49:31 pm by DwarvenLord »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 24