Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 409508 times)

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
Re: The Museum III: Adventure mode succession game.
« Reply #585 on: November 26, 2020, 05:14:01 pm »

It's going okay so far...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've been focusing on playing mostly, I spent too much time writing last time. I'm close to wrapping up my adventure though, so I plan on posting the first part later today.

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #586 on: November 27, 2020, 12:28:28 pm »

I recreated one of the forms from the Empire of Peeks. It's a fairly simple form and is meant to worship Idla, the god of healing. When you hear it you should imagine a bunch of monks praying in silence while someone plays the pastro( which is just a triangle.)

https://soundcloud.com/fireblade-264/the-honesty-of-heaven/s-1rJq1d7bAcH

Idla is a fairly popular god and there is still songs being written about him. This form grew in popularity around 153 and ever since then it fell to obscurity and then back to popularity throughout the centuries.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 12:30:36 pm by Luckyowl »

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: November 27, 2020, 01:49:13 pm »

Well' this is an interesting choice. The Empire of Peeks seems like a pretty unremarkable kingdom' as far as the humans go' and I think the only one not to be the birthplace of any adventurer as of yet; but they have the oldest ruling dynasty' going back to the 3rd century' and pretty solid scientific output despite lacking any libraries in their lands. Interesting that they also left an artistic mark on the world.
Good job on the music' though! The melody itself actually makes me think of church bells' and perhaps slightly of the 'Hymn of YALORT' from the old Mardek flash games. Definitely something one'd meditate to.
The first museum did have quite a bit of supplementary lore/artistic material outside the main adventurer logs' perhaps we could collect the more interesting bits and pieces of this world's history together with some artwork in one place' too?

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: November 27, 2020, 07:51:20 pm »

Perhaps this might be used for some kind of spell, the prayers used to request aid and for the subject to be healed, held in rythm by the quiet, simple sound of the Pastro. I imagine a monk outside their tiny hut on a windy mountainside whispering a prayer and playing a Pastro in one hand, the only two sounds besides the wind in a silent world, requesting Idla to help the wounded child lying asleep on their bed inside the hut survive.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #589 on: November 28, 2020, 09:37:55 pm »

https://soundcloud.com/fireblade-264/luxuxrious-adoration/s-QimHx5bBl3a

This one is from the Empire of Peeks a form meant for entertainment.

I tried my best to recreate it but it's hard to get Musescore to replicate a glide on the Izrol(Lute). It sort of remind me of a dance especially that accent on the third beat...and to my surprise this form has a dance form....

A pretty neat dance.

Honestly I would like to see the art of Orid Xem come to life. I was having a look at Walled Dye music form and they have some pretty complicated forms.

TARGET OF MIGHTNESS

UMBER OF SILKINESS

WonderPsycho

• Bay Watcher
  • Necromancy Cultist, Any and All Pronouns
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: November 29, 2020, 03:00:36 pm »

PTW, also, is this succession world/"adventure mode succession game"'s turn list still open for a few more people? i am kind of interested in joining in this succession game
GLORY UPON THE LORDS OF DEATH, PRAISE NECROMANCY!!

Zed Apocalypse Undead Infection Mini Mod
Civs+ Mod

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: November 29, 2020, 03:19:04 pm »

The museum has opened a new wing where works of art about the world of Orid Xem can be admired.
It can be found in the post with the museum items.

Great work Luckyowl, for me those descriptions on musical forms look like they are written in chinese, so I very much appreciate someone diving in and bringing them to life.
With the game currently getting graphics and music, there's some hope that someday the musical instruments will be brought to live in the game itself..

PTW, also, is this succession world/"adventure mode succession game"'s turn list still open for a few more people? i am kind of interested in joining in this succession game
Yes it is still open, I've added you to the list.

WonderPsycho

• Bay Watcher
  • Necromancy Cultist, Any and All Pronouns
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: November 29, 2020, 03:26:57 pm »

Yes it is still open, I've added you to the list.
thanks
GLORY UPON THE LORDS OF DEATH, PRAISE NECROMANCY!!

Zed Apocalypse Undead Infection Mini Mod
Civs+ Mod

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: November 29, 2020, 03:51:12 pm »

Those are amazing luckyowl! Also, I'm sorry I haven't posted yet, it's been a very busy few days. I actually died before making it to the museum, after 300 something kills, so let that be a reminder that no matter how overly powerleveled you are, DF is unforgiving. It was a bit of an unexpected death, considering how overleveled Iden was by the time I died, so no new museum submissions.
 I'm working on a post right now, trying to do something a little different with it using my previous adventurer to tell the story of my current one. Will post it later today, along with the save, I don't think I'll be doing a fort.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 05:19:50 am by Glloyd »

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: November 30, 2020, 12:56:55 am »

Oh darn, I got too caught up in life to remember my favorite succession game. Oh well, just put me back in the cycle and I'll play when it's my turn.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: November 30, 2020, 05:03:06 am »

Because I haven't gotten around to posting any of my entries yet, and all of my companions died along the way, I want to do something different with my write-ups. So, if someone can find my corpse before my next turn, I will post the true story of my adventurer. Otherwise, I'll integrate it into my next turn. However, I don't want to leave my turn without any entries (and I didn't want to not share any pics of Emeraldcrown, Nogoodnames really outdid themself) so I put something together below as a hook for any future adventurers (or, if noone finds it, my next turn). Enjoy, and good luck Eric! Save is here: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15320

The Journal of Glloyd Ancientborn the Round

Galena 12th, 749.

It has been a long time since I've written anything down in my journal. In fact, it's been just over 22 years since I settled down in the Shelter of Adventurers, down the hill from the great museum of Boltspumpkin. 22 years... And yet it has seemed to vanish into the air. The bitter truth of being immortal is that I stay the same age, forced to watch my close companions age towards the grave. Amsir, once a great warrior, is now 74 years old, and spends his days sitting alongside the stream that flows through our home. His wife, Slenshi, is now 65. It's been 43 years since their companion Donas Silenttowers was struck down and they decided to get married. And yet, life in Orid Xem goes on. Things have been darker as of late. Ever since that wretched monkey Raki passed through Boltspumpkin, it seems as if there's been a shadow over the land, and we haven't seen a single adventurer pass through in the years since. At least I still share the company of Ishes, my erstwhile Soldier of Night companion. At 248 years old herself, she is well aware of the curse of agelessness.

On one fine summer day a few weeks ago, Ishes and I set out to Divedact. I wanted to examine some books at the library there, and we needed to pick up some supplies for the Shelter. Although Ishes and I don't eat, and we haven't seen any adventurers in a while, Amsir and Slenshi still need to eat, and it'd be cruel to ask them to hunt. After a short trip, Ishes and I found ourselves in the bustling marketplace of Divedact.

Divedact is one of the few actual living cities in this part of the world. Although it lacks any central leadership, its streets are still home to a wide array of active shops, and it is an important trading hub for the region. Because of this, a lot of traders from across the northern area of Orid Xem pass through there. While haggling with one of the goblin merchants there, he asked if I was heading north. "No, I'll be returning south to Boltspumpkin" I responded. "Smart man," he replied, "it's just not safe there anymore." Ever interested in the goings on of Orid Xem, I pressed him for more information. "Have you not heard any of the news from the Nations of Honoring?" he replied incredulously. "We don't get many visitors at Boltspumpkin these days," I said. He stared at me aghast "Well, surely you've heard of Iden Bloodinked the Mire of Cities, the bandit king of the north? Over the last two months he conquered his way through the northern towns, leaving hundreds of bodies in his wake.”

I hadn’t heard of him at all, so I asked around among the goblins in the marketplace, and they had plenty of wild tales to tell: “I heard he slaughtered the entire population of Steamdemon just for the fun of it.” “I heard he murdered the leader of the Nations of Honoring and his entire court and bathed in their blood.” “I heard he was behind the recent insurrections and deaths at Incenseorder.” “I heard he looted all sorts of treasure from the north and stashed it in a hideout near here.” “He stole the great crown of Galleyhazy from the fortress of Emeraldcrown and declared himself king of the northern lands.”

A litany of deeds, but was there actually any truth to these tales? Emeraldcrown is only a short journey from Divedact, and with Boltspumpkin as quiet as it has been, Ishes and I decided it would be good to get out on the road again, if only for a short trip.

--

A couple days of light travel later, we made it to Emeraldcrown. I had never been there before, so the sight of the fortress was certainly impressive. The entrance sported a golden brick road, interspersed with green glass tiling, and flanked on either side by green glass statues.

Passing the entrance, you enter a tunnel that winds its way upwards through the mountain, bringing you up to the main area of the fortress. A towering structure of green glass dangling over a volcano, Emeraldcrown is certainly a sight to behold.

On my earlier journey, I had mocked the current state of dwarven civilization, but this young fortress is nothing to mock.

After asking around about the titular crown of Emeraldcrown, one of the dwarves led me up one of the towers into a showroom of sorts. The room contained a number of pedestals holding various artifacts, including one prominent one that was conspicuously empty.

The dwarf confirmed the goblin’s story: Iden had snuck in during the night, knocking one of the guards unconscious and taking the crown, before vanishing into the night. A surprisingly bloodless tale, compared to those spun by the goblins at the market. This only intrigued me further, and Ishes and I decided to head northwards into the Nations of Honoring. Being back out on the road together was a stimulating experience. I'd forgotten how much I had enjoyed travelling, and the story of Iden has proven to be an interesting one indeed. Before we left, the dwarf handed me a poster with some information on Emeraldcrown, and told me to bring it to Boltspumpkin. He also asked that we do our best to find the missing crown and return it if possible.

After crossing the great dwarven construction of Razorbridge, we passed into the lands of the Nations of Honoring.

Once a great kingdom, the Nations of Honoring is scarcely a shadow of its former self. Destroyed by the massive necromancer armies of the 300s, the massive cities are now ghost towns full of abandoned and ruined buildings, a chilling reminder of the past conflicts.

The many villages and hamlets that dot the countryside suffered a similar fate, although unlike the dead cities, some survived relatively unscathed, and remain populated by humans. Elsewhere, goblins from the empire of the Most Sin to the south have settled among the ruins. All, however, face the ongoing threat of the remnants of the necromancers’ armies that still linger throughout the region.

Ishes and I stumbled across a few on our journey. Although alone they pose little threat, the old stories tell of armies numbering in the millions, and locals will swear that those legions remain, shuffling around between the dead villages of the north.

--

Necromancers’ experiments aside, we found the Nations of Honoring to be relatively peaceful, if eerie. However, people here were certainly aware of Iden. In the great dead city of Atticmuffins, a resident told us that Iden had passed through there, and robbed the Labryinthine Abbey of its legendary artifacts. He also informed us that Iden had indeed murdered the entire leadership of the Nations of Honoring at a hamlet called Drillshine, just to the southwest of Atticmuffins. It seems that the leadership of the Nations of Honoring had been taken over by goblins in recent years, and if the tales we’d heard of Iden slaughtering entire villages of goblin settlers were anything to go by, it was likely that the two were related...

OOC: I will post the rest in the morning. Sorry for the delay on my posts. I hope you like the approach I took with this, trying to uncover the story of my adventurer. I've left a few hints throughout this entry and the next about where to find my corpse, but like I mentioned, if noone finds it, I'll incorporate the "journal" of my actual adventurer into my next turn. (That's also my way of asking to be signed up for another turn)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 08:04:55 pm by Glloyd »

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: November 30, 2020, 07:28:53 am »

The artistic section is a great idea; might contribute a piece of dwarven poetry at some point.

I'm enjoying the update yet' Glloyd! some slice-of-necromancer's-life is a good framing story' and political upheaval is always desirable.

But alas' the world seems broke now.

Legends Viewer wouldn't load at all because of an arithmetic overflow error. Remember we had ~40 milion HoPs a few turns ago?
Now it's more like this:
Planegifts - 335 109 hands of Planegifts
Truthfulriddled - 330 435 175 hands of Planegifts
Hummedraces - wait for it! - 2 054 319 171 hands of Planegifts
(all data according to the sites-and-pops file)

Let me reiterate: we're approaching two and a half billion of those creatures. All of them are currently concentrated in a few hamlets in the Nations of Honoring' and their population seems to rise whenever someone travels nearby' without even loading their area (which at this point seems actually impossible). Reminds me of the exponentially increasing animal populations bug' but seems more severe' at least for me.
I vote we nuke them to oblivion at the first opportunity; it's ill-advised to take any chances at this point. Of course LV is not an essential part of the game' but it severely limits the freedom of exploration in the afflicted area' and the order of magnitute itself is concerning. We could also always try to weave a good story around the sudden disappearance. Leaving this up for discussion here.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: November 30, 2020, 07:44:51 am »

Yeah, I tried to defend them earlier, but I agree that we need to DFhack them all away now for the reasons outlined above.

That said, how would we wipe them out? AFAIK, DFHack's exterminate only targets units on the map, rather than in the world, and getting into those hamlets would be practically impossible.

Spoiler: Story suggestions (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 04:25:42 pm by Quantum Drop »
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: November 30, 2020, 11:59:42 am »

First things first' I know absolutely nothing about dfhack or coding in general; but it seems off-site killings have been done before:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=163602.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176846.0
Although of course' there is no certainty it would work in this case. Perhaps someone more competent than me could appraise the chances.

Story-wise' it's easy to build on proposal no 1:
The overpopulated territories all lie within the Nations of Honoring (not counting Cog's tower at the edge of the tundras - we should not overlook this one); one of the most prominent gods of the kingdom in question is Ala' who is associated with blight' death and balance.
Perhaps the HoPs were created by necromancers using his power' and now without them acting as funnels for magicka' and with the world being increasingly destabilized by our 'heroes' attaining forbidden knowledge' it got out of control' leading to proliferation of hoppers. Acting on the 'balance' aspect' Ala decides to even out the populations and withdraws his power' which was the only thing keeping the malformed experiments alive' leading to them dying in droves.
I personally like 3 and 5 more' though I'm not sure how it would fit in the world as-is.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: November 30, 2020, 12:38:56 pm »

Looking forward to reading the rest, Glloyd!

Regarding the hands of planegifts, if my theory about their populations growing until they overflow and get set to zero holds out, Hummedraces should pop soon. It's right at the upper edge of 32-bit signed integers now. In any case, I'm fully in support of nuking the bugged pops if we can find a way to.

You can fix Legends Viewer by opening up the world_sites_and_pops.txt file and deleting a digit or two off of the HoP population in Hummedraces.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 263