Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 409644 times)

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game
« Reply #975 on: June 29, 2021, 07:37:22 am »

If nobody minds, I might need an extra day or two beyond the week to submit my files - but I'm working on it.

Was going to post my diary, but.. honestly I think I have to do it in one go.

As others have said, many people submit their save game and then post the stories later.

Also keep in mind that you can continue the story of your adventurer if you apply for another turn. If you retire somewhere you can load the same adventurer later (a few decades older, but in general still good for use).

Could you upload the save game?
I am looking forward to the story!

BluarianKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • Gimme a soul, sailor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: June 29, 2021, 11:32:14 am »

My intrepid adventurers never got to the museum - here's the save;

Toss me for a second turn at the end. I know I need to finish the story. I got really busy mid-week and that led me to do far less then hoped..

Save;
https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15586

Diary:

Times have changed for us all - that is the certainly I hold closest.

I am Helhock - most consider me an oddity in my home, my fur, snout and canine appearance holds others to consider me strange. I live in the hamlet of Sestasinur, a comfortable place dug in the plains between the great mountains and the rivers. My home is one of the most populated place within the Empire of Peeks - a rotting empire. The people here live happily however, and that is why I have lived here for most of my life. I’ve cooked for most of the people here - I’m quite a talented cook and butcher.. But as all things do, they change.

Two companions I know somewhat well - Kima, a local hunter and guardswoman, and a close companion of mine, and Sema, who is a local engineer, and the entire purpose of this venture. She has been badgering the both of us to ‘go out and adventure’ - while I find such an idea certainly interesting, Kima has been quite set on living her life comfortably, until Sema decided to plan to leave - as such, Kima had to do the same. And myself, while I enjoy my life here, those two are the only true friends I have in my home. Without them, this place would not be home.

So we’ve begun our journey - Sema has heard rumors that the greatest adventurers lay claim to various artifacts, donated to a strange museum near the center of our continent.. But before that can begin, we must make a name of ourselves. A few questions of our friends in town have led us to the local dispute between the town and of the Curious Horror - a common issue, the smaller civilizations can only truly lock between one another. I was not there for the Empire of Peeks and the goblins to start this quarrel, but it seemed to be from some dispute about animals.

It seemed a local - we’ve plenty in this town, some of them refugees from various nearby hamlets and other goblin locations, got angry.. Enraged, he started attacking a passerby - his teeth was splashed across the home, and we left in a hurry.

Another compatriot, Ithew, a local farmer, told us of native aluminum Tårem lost, the owner, Palath Begunglitters wants it returned. A long term quest, and a safe one - bandits, that sort of thing is far from the repertoire of our small lot.

- - -

We went north, to Odiekul, stopping by an abandoned building - named The Lavender Guests, nobody inside. I borrowed a copper scimitar.. Something to keep me safe.

Afterwards, Sema brought up a point of interest - a possible place of interest. The last hold of the Curious Horror - Shadmalzuglar. She has us set to head that direction, past the mountain ranges that hold the various mountainhalls that the dwarves have kept to themselves. I care little for such things - I distaste the look in her eyes. A bloodlust, almost - to want to prove a worth to herself, I suspect ill intent in the future.

It is not as if she hasn’t already proven her capabilities - while crossing the ranges, we met a multitude of wolverines and keas, striking them down to provide food for the coming trip. I suppose I simply disliked how quick she was to decapitate those animals.

We’ve stopped to rest for now - perhaps more will come of the next day.

- - -

We ran like cowards.

Sema, the damned fool - she was so hopeful, I hadn’t realized her intents until she drew first blood, striking down a goblin scribe - we had entered Curious Horrors to see the last stronghold, but we found ourselves instead attempting a daring assault. We met our match with an axewoman - she split Sema in two, and Kima and I ran like damn cowards.

Now we freeze, running south, east, north.. I’m not sure where we are, but the blazened fortresses we continue to run through is worrisome. We stole some food from a dwarven caravan.

I have no wish to let her name die so softly. Vengeance will be paid.

- - -

We found a place to rest, for me to.. Get my bearings.

I feel as if time if lost. I need to rest. Kima needs to rest.

I.. I will continue writing when I can. Perhaps I can finish this story.
A beautiful lesbian trans lass, I'll punch ya dork.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: June 30, 2021, 03:41:47 am »

Got the save. Time to get 'er going.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: June 30, 2021, 09:47:06 am »

Anyway, without further ado or rambling, I present:

Dwarf Fortress Legends Wiki

Great work. I have now included your updated map in the map section. I have also included a link there to the post where you introduce and explain the wiki. That way all the information about the site is included as well.
I might have to move some of the information around at some point. I've just been adding stuff whenever something came up, and not all of the information might be in the best possible spot.

I have also updated the turn list. Good luck Quantum Drop!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 09:50:24 am by Bralbaard »

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: June 30, 2021, 10:14:42 am »

Great work. I have now included your updated map in the map section. I have also included a link there to the post where you introduce and explain the wiki. That way all the information about the site is included as well.
I might have to move some of the information around at some point. I've just been adding stuff whenever something came up, and not all of the information might be in the best possible spot.

Thanks. I'm glad it has positive reactions.
Good luck, QD. Although we know QD makes their own luck. I don't know what can top Lonelythrall's quest, but if anyone can top it, it's QD. (No pressure. ;) )
-snip-
Interesting story. Yeah, that's Dwarf Fortress, adventurers start hopeful and emerge bitter wrecks, if they survive. You'd think we're playing Warhammer here :)

I've taken a glance through the save, I haven't seen major changes (or any changes for that matter) so far. The living adventurers I checked on (including mine and Lonelythrall) are doing the same, the rulers of Omon Obin, Adilatír and Nomal Alis (The Staff of Kissing) are the same. Even our lovely civilized mercenary leader cave dragon is doing the same.

Wonder how many kills Uja tallied so far *grumble grumble*. The thing still doesn't appear in Legends Mode, Legends Viewer doesn't say she killed anything, but LV only shows deaths of historical characters. I feel responsible for not putting her down when I had the chance.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 10:38:28 am by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: June 30, 2021, 01:20:34 pm »

Good luck, QD. Although we know QD makes their own luck. I don't know what can top Lonelythrall's quest, but if anyone can top it, it's QD. (No pressure. ;) )
Assuming I don't royally shit the bed on the writing (see: my last turn :-[) and the RNG smiles upon me... well, it probably won't top LT's run, but I'll be damned if I don't at least try on this one. I'll probably have to go for the caverns on this run if I decide to binge on MB kills; there's few easily-findable beasts on the surface as it is, while those in the world's heart are (mostly) untouched.

(Laughing gas is a bastard to come by even in regions where it's present. Anyone have any ideas how I might find it faster?)

EDIT: IIRC, LegendsViewer does keep track of non-historical character deaths by vampire (Imimi Dankhonours, for example, has 1632 'unsolved murders' to his name under his 'entity reputations' section), so I'd guess Uja just hasn't gotten thirsty enough to drain someone dry yet. But, yeah, there look to be pretty few appreciable changes beyond The Curious Horror going down to three (civilized) pops.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 10:07:54 am by Quantum Drop »
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: June 30, 2021, 04:51:31 pm »

The Curious Horror going down to three (civilized) pops.
I didn't notice that. Still, I don't trust those things. I'm just looking at their current Master and I see he was originally of The Most Sin. So they can replenish their numbers easily from TMS if worst comes to worst (like I've seen some human rump-states do to survive and not just make void dwarf-equivalents). I'm looking at their current leadership and they have 6 persons in, 3 gobs (probably those the first page talks about), 1 human and 2 necro experiments.

Besides, TCH was never about conquest, but they do some nasty damage to other civs when they put their minds to it. They give off the appearance of joke characters/rump state, but I won't trust them until I see them completely wiped. Look at this genocidal war where they wipe out 15,000 good, honest sapients with 300 monsters on the pretense of stealing an item they never owned. The "war" *cough* massacre *cough* is only topped by the life-hating necromancer who almost turned all Orid Xem into undead. At the time, TCH had only one settlement to their name. Hate the gob, cleanse the gob, don't underestimate the gob.

For comparison, Dur Badu is considered "extinct" by Legends Viewer for over half a decade, and yet still has a command structure composed of... granted, 3 humans, but still. It's still kicking. Stalconpesor too is considered extinct, but has a command structure of 9 and even if they're starting to dredge the dregs (i.e. rely on goblins to take positions), the Law-Giver is still human. I can also say after taking some look that they're original Stalconpesor loyalists and not TMS or The Knowing Deceiver plants like goblin leaders of other civs. I usually want to exterminate the filthy gobs, but in this case I can say: Good for them. It also reaffirms to me that the Creamy Confederacy gobs are definitely plants from the gob civs (which are inimical to non-gob civs).

Also feels good to talk in wiki links.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 05:58:24 pm by Lurker Z »

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: July 07, 2021, 06:16:40 am »

How's your turn' Quantum? It's been some time' quite interested in what you've been up to.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: July 07, 2021, 07:14:48 am »

How's your turn' Quantum? It's been some time' quite interested in what you've been up to.
Just finishing up my fort, going to post the save (and a summary of what's gone down, until I can write it properly) tonight.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 02:22:16 am by Quantum Drop »

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: July 07, 2021, 05:16:38 pm »

Here is the save: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15594

My submission to the Museum is the Horns of Ngaxa Slaughterssucked the Assaulted, torn from the head of the last minotaur of Orid Xem by Nethrez Rampartspiral the Quick Tunnel of Mining with his bare hands. The minotaur himself is still alive, albeit missing his horns, his pride, and (possibly) his eyes. I'm not sure if redded-out body parts on a historical figure reset when you travel away, but the guy seemed to be a pushover for my adventurer either way.

Additionally, a new fortress has been added to the map, by the name of Ironwards the Strifeful Hollows. The fortress was founded to the rough north-west of Boltspumpkin in 780 by The Walled Dye; the few rumours that the caravans have brought back indicate that it is heavily militarized, and has been conducting a number of highly aggressive campaigns against goblin presences in the Tundra of Heroes and around The Dark Fortress River.

As usual, I request to be put back on the turn list.

EDIT: And because I forgot to post them earlier:

Spoiler: Trivia and notes (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 03:25:38 pm by Quantum Drop »

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: July 08, 2021, 12:56:14 pm »

So' imperialism now? Seems the world is doomed' which is always good news. Very impressive turn.
Honestly' it's amazing' both thematically and on a meta level' how the dwarves went from a feeble rump state at the start to a great power right now' what with territorial expansion and great feats of architecture. Gotta do something about this come my turn.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: July 09, 2021, 02:44:50 am »

Dyezeal and Ironwards have been added to the map. I've also added the proposed mission to the missions section.
It's Eric's turn.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 03:00:42 am by Bralbaard »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: July 10, 2021, 06:16:34 pm »

Well, there was an adventurer, but he swam in a freezing river around dusk and died almost right away. I suppose I'll spend the week building a fort, then.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: July 14, 2021, 05:09:11 pm »

Well, there was an adventurer, but he swam in a freezing river around dusk and died almost right away. I suppose I'll spend the week building a fort, then.
Well that's sad. There's a reason my adventurers haven't swam a day under my care (it's not that, but I'll add it to the list).

Looking forward to the fortress.

So' imperialism now?

I'll leave comments for the vault later, but in the case of Malladang it seems just good old fashioned righteous payback. I'll say as many times as needed, Malladang throughout history hit way above their apparent weight. Moreover, unlike "regular" goblin civs, they don't even go for the conquest, just for the slaughter again and again and again.

They're not really down, a Master was appointed in the day one of their holdings was reclaimed by the dwarves. She's still there in hiding presumably. Still, congrats for trying and for those 6k goblin-affiliated troops that will not be missed.

Honestly' it's amazing' both thematically and on a meta level' how the dwarves went from a feeble rump state at the start to a great power right now' what with territorial expansion and great feats of architecture. Gotta do something about this come my turn.
Pop-wise they're still under the elves, who are themselves close to endangered. As long as we play the game, we know dwarves won't go extinct while the only elven civilization may be destroyed, true, but to truly make them a great power in history we'll need a lot of Legendary warrior dwarves... and those are likely as not to die of old age in half a century, which is not that much of a timespan for the player-base, or in unintentional accidents of less military-minded players. Moreover, adventurers will muddle the waters, giving near-unfair advantages either to their own civilizations or crippling other civs.

Architecturally, sure, they're set, but as an actual power? No, the dwarves will always cling in this world to survival first and foremost. They'll likely have shooting stars from the players who want to play as members of The Walled Dye specificially, but that'll be offset by everyone else who'll want to play crazy and frak up the world like giving vampirism to Law-Givers, passing on the weremonster curse or necros resurrecting Cog Omristducim. Add to that that Nusmzolak has 34k pop and are at war with The Walled Dye since 712 against the dwarves' ~650 dwarves for a total of 1000 of multi-species pop, it's always going to be an uphill battle for The Walled Dye to be better in more than the number and opulence of forts (nevermind the ability to keep them).

I've just taken a glance at Legend Viewer's historical figures... drop down menu? There are 4k dwarven historical figures ever compared to goblins' 14k (but they have abstract numbers going for them) and humans' 25k (though there are only 16k total abstract humans, that's still a lot). Let's face it, this isn't a world dwarves, as a civ or a race, can become superpowers. Survive, thrive and leave a mark on the world, absolutely, but no more than that.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 05:41:53 pm by Lurker Z »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: July 17, 2021, 11:52:07 pm »

I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 263