Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 307

Author Topic: Extinction  (Read 215303 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Extinction
« on: August 06, 2020, 07:31:36 pm »

Alternatively, "You are a JRPG character, the suggestion game."

In order to get this started, I need four names.

One for yourself:

one for your childhood friend:

one for a magic-using cultist:

and one for a professional soldier.

Act 1 complete!  Summary.

Act 2 complete!  Summary in progress.

Spoiler: Western Continent Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Eastern Continent Map (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 03:31:40 pm by Devastator »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Extinction
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 07:41:10 pm »

You wake up.

You're not sure where you are, and your memory is fragmentary.  You remember having parents, a home.. but it was a long time ago, and you can only see scarce fragments of them and your town, sunshine on grass, the sound of steady wind, the smell of fire..  no, nothing solid, nothing firm.

After that there is little.  The feeling of cold dirt, then hard tile.  The impression of light.  The sounds of doors, footsteps, conversation.

And now you are awake.  You're in a wooden house, surrounded by machinery that is making soft noises.  In front of you is a table covered in notes, with a cat resting on it, sleeping in the sunbeam.  Further away is a stove in the corner, next to a soft, well-worn chair and an end table, dishes and cutlery piled atop it.  To your right is a set of stairs, going up, and to your left is an open doorway to a second room.

As you look at the dust on the windowsill, speaking of calm contentment, you almost weep for a moment.  This is a home, a safe place, a place of sleeping cats and books and quiet nights of contemplation.  A place of peace and calm.

And, from what few impressions you have of your life, peace was a rare and precious thing.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 07:51:46 pm by Devastator »

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 08:19:07 pm »

Self: "Trence Colunstin"

Childhood Friend: "Willis Naver"

Cultist: "Sessha Naver"

Soldier: "Alice Nepenthe"

Edit:

I'm using this post as a knowledge repository/list of notes and links, since it's right at the top of the first page.  If you're a new reader of Extinction, I suggest scrolling past to avoid spoilers.  If you're actively playing, suggest things you think I should add here!  Or respond to some of my thoughts, I'll try and show what other people feel is important regardless of my own stance.

Alice's weapon-based skills:

Spoiler: Lance (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Mace (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Spear (click to show/hide)

Dragon form abilities:

Dragon form inherently provides a bonus to attack "equal to a +1 modifier."  Just being in dragon form is a buff.  Trence also has a passive +2 damage resist against both physical and magical damage, even in human form.

((Grants poison buff and bonus instakill rate.))

((Grants 5 MP attacks that have one extra +.  Also, freeze debuff.))

((Grants hitgroup, evade buff))

All elemental forms grant a matching elemental breath attack, which costs 10 MP, is tiring, and is a moderate strength hit-all.  If we combine two elemental forms, one of which "beats" the other, the breath attack is aligned only with said winning element, and is strengthened to "heavy" damage.  Presumably, if we form a chain of three elements, damage will be upgraded to "massive".

Elemental rock-paper scissors works like this:
Fire < Cold < Water < Wind < Lightning < Earth  (and fire beats earth)

Nature and poison are special.  Both are weak to each other.  Nature dragon would be a good thing to get.

Second-tier dragon forms:
((Strong passive damage resistance, "protect ally" skill.  Potentially excellent combo with Counter!))

((Passive damage buff, tiring hitgroup attack, and basic attack with a DoT.))

Spoiler: Training! (click to show/hide)

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 08:30:40 pm »

Is this a suggestion game or an RTD?

Or both?
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 08:53:24 pm »

Some of both.  RTD rolls will be coming up fairly often, mostly to make sure things stay interesting, but not every turn for everything.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 10:41:03 pm »

PTW, I don’t care so much about names

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2020, 11:54:27 pm »

Looks good to me.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2020, 02:28:58 am »

Self: Lance Warwing

Childhood Friend: Raven Ashroot

Cultist: Hera Nepthen

Soldier: Slab Hardmeat Dominic Mortaine
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 02:30:59 am by IronyOwl »
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2020, 02:31:47 am »

Oh, also now that the first bit is up..

What do you do?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2020, 04:04:15 am »

Read notes. Pet kitty.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2020, 04:57:13 am »

Read papers.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2020, 05:09:35 am »

Read notes. Pet kitty.
+1
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 01:23:47 pm by NJW2000 »
One wheel short of a wagon

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2020, 12:31:06 pm »

Read papers.

+1
The papers might contain important information, like where we are

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2020, 07:35:59 pm »

You pull a bundle of papers off the table and spread them out over the floor, where you can more comfortably read them.  And then you wake up the kitty.

Kitty jerks awake and jumps up impressively high, falling back on four feet.  Kitty then runs out of the room at high speed, and you can hear a thump and a crash in the next room.

Well, pet kitty time coming later.  Papers!

..The papers are boring.  The handwriting is weird and spidery, and makes your head hurt a bit to read it.  It's about an invention, called the Thaumulator.  Or the Omniscope.  In the earliest paper, it's just called the Magic Finder, so you decide to go with that.

Then there's pictures, and complicated diagrams, and ahh, it's boring.  You think you can understand, but it'll take hours!  You just woke up, and you don't have time for that!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 307