Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15

Author Topic: Spookyfort: Inheritance  (Read 25969 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Boomstick - a Halloween Spookyfort (Restless Spirits Wanted!)
« Reply #180 on: October 07, 2021, 02:17:00 am »

Yeah, screw it, why not. Not exactly sure what I'll do, but I'll figure something out.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 07, 2021, 09:09:11 am »

I might be interested to give a shot after Splint.

(It's around 7 years since I last tried a succession fort (on a different forum), so hopefully I won't mess things too much if I take a turn.)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 07, 2021, 09:34:32 am »

Almost through hematite. I'm amazed the baby survived to toddlerhood.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 07, 2021, 11:56:34 am »

He thinks he can escape the company for what he did at the lake. The negligence, the poor decisions. I will have none of it. I've already whispered in his ear, and he's panicked at the idea of someone from his past a continent away chasing him, even in death. Magic might make him live, change his face. Won't let him outrun the dead.

He's ordered a back door to be dug. Winding way, circles back on itself, doors that lead nowhere. Thinks it'll confuse me.

It will not. Whispered to the workers. Open his roof, build a retracting hatch that'll blend in. Drop bones on him his bed. Simply having someone bring them there is too obvious. Thought about boulders, thought better of it. He'll suffer before the end. Unless something happens first.

The baby, Nomal, crawls about unattended. If it dies before it walks, I'll drop the dead baby on him in his sleep. Along with a bucket of water, maybe. Probably going to settle for piles of teeth wrapped in some tunics and a sock.

Turn of the year, heralded by birds. Passenger pigeons mostly. Shame it wasn't ravens. There was a huge eagle though.

Satyrs and elves came at one point. Whispered to the workers: Find some shit to sell. The stupid and the damned might be lured here with stories of wealth. They bought a giant ant and parked it on his cot.

It clicks at him in his sleep, and he's been trying to get it to move to the cabinet he installed, to no avail. An invisible woman mangled Ineth afterward, and that died from a blow to the head from the broker. Melbil also died as a result of injuries. sustained in that brawl. Forest folk didn't want to stay after that.

Whispered to the survivors. Armed themselves with hatchets and round shields. Fists can only do so much. Nothing better to hand, and the soil is too waterlogged for anything better.

Migrants came in late slate, lead by an armorer named Tun Relievedtool. There was also a doctor that Delphonso immediately pressed into service in a bid to fix Ineth. Doubt it'll do any good. Got it in their heads to try making sunflower oil after they arrived, maybe hoping to sell it over the summer or fall.

In autumn I had the teeth and remains drops. unfortunately the hatch moved a hair too quickly. Half of it ended up scattered all voer the roof of his little hovel.

Autumn came, and with it a foul wretch of a being - a foul dryad headed the caravan. I can only guess what Delphonso did to this continent to cause that. Whispered to the workers. Guns, munitions, stone and ore, ale. The things dwarves need, even if they've nowhere to put them. Had them sell his egotistical wooden totems.

The things idle hands may need in the future. But there is so little for me to do. Delphonso seems utterly unfazed by the dead laying around. The other spirits wailing at him keep him nice and horrified though, so there's that.

More fools came in late Sandstone. Just in time for the militia to be recatagorized. Manor Security, he calls them. Except Urist. Urist is just known as the Murder Merchant.

Seems they also want to try and exorcise the spirits. Problem for someone else to deal with. The company only wanted me to harass Delphonso for about a year. Whispered to the workers, left a note on the door.

"The Company knows where you are Del. You can't outrun them forever."

Right, so. That's my turn. When from late winter to early winter, simply because the overall premise just isn't something I'm able to do well or really get into, so I rolled with some shit trying to bite delphonso's ass from the last little venture he was involved in overseas. He's completely unbothered by the sight of dead bodies, but the ghosts do legit horrify him, so there's that. I'm also extremely tired, ain't been to bed as of this writing.

There's a standing petition to build a proper temple now, though I put up a shrine as a temporary placation measure. Can just assume our fair ex-CEO is calling in the priesthood to try and deal with all the ghostly shenanigans.

My contribution was mainly a meandering series of corridors dug into the mount north of the manor jammed full of doors that go nowhere, a forge, and setting up the militia to properly defend the manor grounds. Memebers of the militia are marked with the custom job of "Manor Security Dwarf." Except Urist. Urist beat up a california grizzly and seems to be quite the fiesty dwarf, so they got the title of Murder Merchant (being the broker and all.)

Far as the militia goes, they only have very rudimentary gear, but they should be able to deal with problem causing animals more effectively now that they have weapons. Isn't much, just some padded armor, wood shields and whatever hand weapons were laying around or able to be bought with cast-offs, totems and wooden junk. Mostly hatchets, with a great hammer and a spiked flail mixed in. Never pegged us for being a juggalo party house, but there you go.

I also canceled any standing managerial tasks, mainly cause they kept popping job cancellations due to lack of materials (bone specifically.)

Image of the place as of my turn's conclusion. Population is currently 25.

Good luck to whoever's next. Sorry I wasn't as creative or fun this time around.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 08, 2021, 12:21:10 am »

Loved the torture of del, Splint! A shower of bones seems pretty on brand at this point.

I might be interested to give a shot after Splint.

(It's around 7 years since I last tried a succession fort (on a different forum), so hopefully I won't mess things too much if I take a turn.)

Luckily, the whole idea is to screw up. Go for it, if you have the time.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 08, 2021, 05:58:20 am »

Ok, let's see if I'll manage to give a try during the weekend.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 09, 2021, 08:39:02 pm »

Did you manage to get a turn in?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 10, 2021, 06:00:43 am »

Did you manage to get a turn in?

Not yet, no, and it seems like I won't be able to this weekend. So, probably best if someone else takes the turn.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 10, 2021, 06:01:52 am »

I might grab the save and play a year. If anyone else claims it, feel free, otherwise I'll try to blast through it in one sitting.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 12, 2021, 11:23:28 pm »

Why am I so bad at the only game I ever play?

Astesh Cogzeg - Novice Ghost

Having seen the other spirits work their haunting magic upon the dwarves of Boomstick, I think I have a decent idea of what to do.

I influence the architect to extend a wall, adding to some original plans to build a new dormitory. The dormitory is set to be the corpse stockpile. Blinded by their paychecks, the workers don't think twice about it.

Meanwhile, I see how everyone is feeling. Surely they're at their limits!

I'm going to murder every dwarf here.

Focusing my energy, I try my hardest to summon a fear-inducing creep from the depths of hell!

Well. She's friendly, but she is much closer to what I wanted than a very cute pony.

Speaking of cute ponies. The elves arrived. Just behind them were the dryads.

A foul plot transpired! I suggested upon the feeble mind of delphonso to Pull the Lever.

Hahaha! Soon those travellers will go mad. I'd hate to be the dwarf to clean the place up afterwards! Oh, Astesh, you devilish dog.

Now, back to murder.

On the highest point of Boomstick, the dwarves get the wise idea to build a retracting bridge. A nearby lever is connected. Whispers into the dark parts of their souls tell them to Pull the Lever...now!

At exactly the last moment...
The dwarf stepped off the bridge, as did the goose.
I didn't even get to throw the goose.

Okay.
Well.
Maybe those merchants are killing each other by now. That'll cheer me up.

...Where are they?

Completely gone? How is that even possible!?

AGAIN
I DID IT AGAIN

THE SAME MISTAKE

If I weren't dead already, I'd die of frustration.

Let's just...

Let's just try the bridge again.

FINALLY SOME MEASURE OF SUCCESS!
Sort of like a wave-pool set on maximum, the lever is pulled repeatedly, juggling dwarves and pets into the air.

But I can do better.
I can do...bloodier.

Once that lever is pulled, this bridge will swing up like a catapult, sending each of these dwarves flying.

If they step off, I'm going to focus all of my energy on burning this stupid wooden mansion to the ground.

A few dwarves sail upwards and spray a little blood on the rooftop. The unlucky ones...

...end up on the first floor, guts splattered across the loam.

And while we're at it:

Just squash whoever is left. Finally, something good happened.

Hell, while I'm at it, let's lock up the human merchants. This time they won't crawl out the roof.

Huh?
What's going on down there?

Seems a dwarf failed to complete an artifact and went berserk.
Unfortunately they were right next to the training security staff.

But something's not right...

Maybe...maybe that bridge went a little too far. The dwarves have gone nuts! They're just killing each other!

Holy shit, delphonso! What the hell, man?

I'm not sure if this was a labor strike or if the security team just lost it, but about 8 dwarves died there.

Well, at least we can chalk this up to a victory.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
The save is mid-summer sometime. I wanted to play longer, but Ubuntu is doing something with my CPU to really fuck this game. I'm at like 20 FPS, and there are less dwarves than that.

Save is here!

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 13, 2021, 09:55:52 am »

Nice. Delphonso's demise is ever the closer.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 14, 2021, 03:02:39 am »

Given how fast people are dying we might not even make it to Halloween.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 15, 2021, 02:50:23 am »

Nice. Delphonso's demise is ever the closer.

It was tense trying to get the bridge to fling dwarves off the tower - I was worried he'd come to hang out in the meeting zone and just get squashed or flung.

Given how fast people are dying we might not even make it to Halloween.

The low population also prevents any big fun dangerous stuff from showing up. Both of my turns didn't have so much as a kobold! There's a lot in this pack that could kill the fort outright, especially since we only have doors blocking the way in.

Anyone interested in a turn?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 15, 2021, 03:35:03 pm »

If nobody else will go I'll at least have a look. No promises though.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 18, 2021, 02:49:25 am »

If nobody else will go I'll at least have a look. No promises though.

No worries. Above-ground construction isn't the most fun thing in the world.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15