Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12

Author Topic: The Fortress Of Friendlytreason | OVERSEERS WE NEED YOU  (Read 34481 times)

xkcd1963

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Fortress Of Friendlytreason | OVERSEERS WE NEED YOU
« Reply #105 on: July 18, 2022, 05:50:30 pm »

Hey AvolitionBrit any news?  :D

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 18, 2022, 06:04:50 pm »

Will upload soon, didnt get far due to lag and PC upgrade.

Will upload today
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 08:05:10 pm by AvolitionBrit »
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 21, 2022, 02:01:11 am »

If Xkcd can pick up a turn, that's great. I won't be available until next Tuesday at the earliest.

(Plus, it's good to have a fort with more variety in overseers, not just have it ping-pong between two dudes).
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

xkcd1963

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 23, 2022, 01:00:22 pm »

If Xkcd can pick up a turn, that's great. I won't be available until next Tuesday at the earliest.

(Plus, it's good to have a fort with more variety in overseers, not just have it ping-pong between two dudes).

https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16015

I made it until mid-spring. FPS was between 4 and 0 so progress was very slowly. StrikaAmaru was right, dfhack exterminate undead improved FPS significantly. StrikaAmaru you and I are currently the only ones interested in solving the undead issue with conventional means, but if you agree I'm up to using dfhack exterminate.
In the meantime I dug out the obsidian casting tunnels to the west, only a zombie crundle came up but was dealt with swiftly. Opening the gates on the rightern side caused me a save-scum as the tin scorpion would bring havok.

Other things (I really like to do todo lists dodelido):
- cancel digging (i marked the ones I canceled, but its good to know that we have now 100+ rooms)
- cancel all food production (we have 8k units, i forbade the door to the farms)
- reduce military training time (all except hammer 01. We need construction workers for closing off edges, in fact I dismissed hammer 02 squad)
- give a break to stressed dwarfes (marked as profession stressed with no jobs enabled)
- renamed some hotkeys
- reduce cancelation messages
« Last Edit: July 23, 2022, 01:03:30 pm by xkcd1963 »

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 26, 2022, 10:37:20 am »

I'm not really sure if the problem can be solved conventionally; that's the main reason why I'm even trying to wrestle with the shit-tier FPS. Maybe if enough of them get burnt, the FPS will improve? On one hand, not everything is instant; maybe persistence is the correct course of action. On the other hand, definition of insanity: doing the same thing despite lack of results, and somehow expecting victory. If undead burnination does not improve FPS, then that's that, we'll acknowledge defeat and use DFHack.

The massive draft was started so that dwarves wear armor instead of clothes; that's why everybody except miners and wood cutters were shoved in squads, doesn't matter where, doesn't matter if they have weapons to pick. Armor really improved dwarf lifespan in the cavern. Heck, the squads weren't even enabled for training -- they were just supposed to wear armor.

Given the vast number of rooms, is there any expectation of population growth? AvolitionBrit wanted, contrary to his username, to end the Age of Legends; but once that's finished, the Age of Goblins is going to begin, and that's a lot worse in my opinion. So, do we go pick a fight with the gobbos? All 25,000 of them?

(They don't have demons backing them up; gobbos without demons go down like chumps. If you're willing to grind at their strongholds, they will eventually die).

The Age of Legends will fade away on its own -- Forgotten Beasts will keep dying and no new ones can be made. Eventually, there will be none.

I've picked up the save, obviously. For the near future, I'll try to care for the 2 very unhappy dorfs, and the 5 unhappy ones. Hilariously, none of the 7 sad sacks are in the actual Sad Sacks squad -- the one with armor and no weapons. That's something else to  change. I'll also do a bit of magma flooding; if no FPS improvement happens, it's time to stop trying to win 'fairly'. And with FPS recovered, one way or the other, maybe we can go to war with goblins, like a normal dwarven fort.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 27, 2022, 07:40:56 am »

Fresh from the experimentation board, I have come up with a stunning conclusion:

The vast majority of the lag is caused by Aban OarPost, the eerie mist zombie. Killing her punts FPS all the way to my personal max of 50; it's probably even bigger in actual value.

How I got there: at the start of month 5 (so about 3 months after getting the save), I've gotten beyond fed up with the extant FPS, so I made a backup and decided to use exterminate. Except I'm too stubborn to just use exterminate all, so I mucked around with exterminate it on selected targets instead.

At first, I went for the cavern and cleaned all the undead under the trees. This didn't do much, and also didn't remove all that many undead either; there's maybe 20 of them. Pretty encouraging news for the 'fair' game to come.

Next, I went for the endless dancers. And that's when I saw FPS skyrocket! So I crashed DF and focused only on these two guys.

Aban and Mistem have been fighting for... how many years now? Their skills have increased to beyond god-tier, and they're unstoppable and untouchable. Which is why I wanted to keep one of them ;)

First, I sacrificed Mistem and kept Aban. Since Aban is somewhat-part of our civilization (probably still retains fort loyalties, depending on the exact circumstances of The Incident), I obviously prefered her. For novelty if nothing else. Except this time no change in FPS happened :(

So, I crashed the game and started over. And annihilated only Aban.

And FPS magically improved.

So, here's the plan: this is the save that I'll continue playing. Aban has been sacrificed, Mistem still remains. When goblin invasions will happen, and I'll make sure they'll happen, he's going to be unleashed like the Pokemon from hell.

Going by that other third eerie mist zombie whose name I don't remember, Mistem can be trapped. Which is excellent news, because it makes him reusable. So Mistem may yet defend FriendlyTreason, in perpetuity, or until some goblin gets lucky.

If no goblin gets lucky, we may eventually even pit him against The Hidden Fun Stuff. That will probably be the death of Mistem; there's bound to be some web-spewing demon around there, and once he's webbed he's a sitting duck regardless of stats (I think?).

Just, please, don't use actual pitting for Mistem. It barely works on normal critters, for the strategic thermonuclear dwarf it's way too unreliable to risk.

xkcd1963

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 28, 2022, 05:39:38 am »

Regarding the squads I understand now. I'm not sure how else we would have dealt with the eternal dancers.

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 01, 2022, 07:46:03 am »

Part 1 (220 - 224).
The initial priorities were to continue magma floods, to improve happiness for the seven unhappy dorfs, and to train the army as much as possible. After Aban was sacrificed, two more goals were added: increase population (and then army), and fight the goblins. For now, the population cap was left at 75.

Edge obsidianizing has continued; even before Aban’s end, there had been progress on this project. I too had some zombie issues; apparently, they somehow manage to traverse one tile on the roof of the cavern, monkey bars style, to reach the stairway. The squad of skilled hammerers was kept stationed in the channel, which really paid dividends when Quula’s corpse has followed the same path:

Despite these complications, the fortifications and floodgates were eventually built, and magma was pumped as desired. Flooding the western edge with magma has dropped the number of undead to around 100, a number that has kept steady since then.

Then, after Aban’s sacrifice, the pumping was started again to annihilate a new batch of zombie spawns, and, uh, left on for longer than intended, resulting in a much bigger obsidian patch and the inner lake being completely sealed off from the edge. Interestingly, the caps for giant mushroom trees in the water have started burning too. This was not the case when flooding the northern edge, despite having near-identical conditions.

End result:

Not all water sources have been destroyed; there are two very small ones on the western edge, and to the south, the lake connects to the edge underneath large overhangs of natural stone. That one can’t be sealed, we’ll have to put up with it.

For the unhappy chaps, great progress has been made. Well sort of; two of them got killed by the dwarven justice system, but the rest are either happy, or nearly so. One of those deaths was kinda my fault: the fort had no captain of the guard when I got it, so I appointed AvolitionBrit. Except AvolitionBrit is a miner, so at the first tantrum poor Zutthan got his brains picked in a very literal way. Don’t feel too bad for ol’ Zutthan, he was making an awful mess in the library:

Then I replaced AvolitionBrit with the mayor (since he already had rooms assigned), and found out that the mayor cannot serve as a justice officer:

Makes ya wonder why he can even be appointed in the first place.

Another Forgotten Beast emerged in the first cavern’s airlock. It stepped on a webbed cage, and got trapped. There are 3 more such traps waiting for customers, and I’m not opening the airlock until they’re filled. Those cages are an irreplaceable resource.

Plus, the corpse of the web-spitting FB that made the super-traps in the first place is still there; crossbow-dwarves occasionally get stationed in the fortifications corridor to snipe at it. That zombie is the best crossbow training tool you could hope for.

In the background to all this, adamantine processing has picked up. I’ve dug as much as I dared, and built a new section near the smithy to keep the newly-made adamantine threads away from doctors:

That last bit… didn’t work, actually. I need to remember that dwarves can climb walls nowadays, especially when they get up to do something they shouldn’t do.

From the extracted adamantine, I made all the rigid armor pieces -- breastplates, helms, gauntlets, greaves, and high boots. I’ve read at some point that the best protective combo is adamantine breastplate with copper mail shirt, so that’s what people get.

Also, a dumbass metalsmith wasted 2 adamantine wafers to make a ring. He’s lucky we have so much addie, otherwise I’d have locked him in the forge and left him to die. And no, forbidding the addie was not an option -- dude would not settle for any other kind of bar:

We did get a legendary +2 metalcrafter out of it, so we can have some masterwork gold furniture, at least.

Back in the second cavern, beasts have started moving. Amas the Tin Monster has gotten in a fight with Tharumi, a FB composed of flames. None of them died, but the strip of land to the east has been thoroughly incinerated. Amas then moved away towards the west, but Flame Boi stuck around; in a single spot, actually. So I took the risk, and built fortifications near it:

Great success!

Amas went on to kill another FB composed of mud. Besides Amas itself, there are no more living FBs in the second cave; three zombie ones still exist, one under water and two stuck under trees, but that’s it.

With Tharumi dead and Amas elsewhere, the fort’s military dwarves were called to build the remainder of the east wall -- the one that was interrupted in late 219 by Amas wandering in that general direction. This time, there were no interruptions, and the Eastern edge was finally sealed.

By this point, it’s the winter of 221. The first hammer squad is almost entirely legendary; the other two progress far slower (as expected), and it’s time to look at our neighbors.

The dominant goblin civilization, the one shaped like a scorpion, is named The Nightmare of Coasts; it’s the one with 25,000 members. Their civilization is not yet visible to our fort, but Legends already ratted them out as being at war with our parent civ, and everybody else in this world.

There is a second goblin civ, the Ghoul of Grips, intertwined with the holdings of our mountain home; they number barely 900 goblins, and we've been at peace with them since 190. Let’s ask them for trade, you can always use more idiots to haul away your garbage and bring you iron for the privilege.

So, in the autumn of 221, three axe-dwarves peacefully visited HatredSabres to negotiate a trade agreement. I’m not even being facetious, they really did come in peace. They’ve been snubbed and ignored, and returned empty-handed days later.

The next two seasons pass with general fortress cleanup for civilians and hammer training for the military. The airlock to the third cavern has been opened a few times, and brought in a cave dragon and three jabberers. I have not yet trained any of them, because I’m waiting for the trainers to level up some more. They can do that by practicing on the near-endless tide of crundles and bugbats that’s also pouring from the airlock.

In the summer of 222, we are under siege! By five extremely pathetic goblins.

Really, it’s not even worth calling the army for this. Instead, I just activate the Underground burrow, and open the door. Four of the five are trapped, the last one flees. The prisoners were killed later by the least experienced squad.

This also makes another project into a necessity: surface defense can no longer be ignored. Problem is, I’m not sure how to handle it. Walls? Traps? Dwarven power? Strategic zombie deployment? All of the above?

For the time being, I’ll just build the two cages with eerie mist zombies on the surface, and connect them to levers. All cage traps outside have been dismantled, too; I don't want the uber-zombies getting themselves trapped before they’re done slaughtering my enemies.

In retaliation, our legendary hammer-dwarves are ordered to raze CleanedWraiths, the nearest dark pit belonging to The Nightmare of Coasts. In hindsight, I should have checked if the siege was indeed from the Nightmare, or if the Ghouls have gotten uppity. Either way, the Civilizations screen tells me we are now at war with both goblin civilizations.

The hammer-dwarves have brought CleanedWraith’s population from ~110 goblins to about 20. No treasures were looted from it, and no dwarves were lost, or even injured for that matter.

This misadventure has massively upended armor for all squads; all five, not just the squad that left, have dropped gear and refused to either pick it back up, or get replacements. This is a known issue with raids, and likely a side-effect of reusing migrant code to bring the squads back in the fort. At least they hauled the dropped armor back inside this time; it’s a lot worse when they completely, physically, drop their armor and other gear on the map’s edge. Since the issue didn’t fix itself during autumn, I eventually disbanded all squads, and reformed them after about a month. This finally solved any equipment glitches.

When trading with the dwarven caravan (as if any other caravan visits us) I managed to ditch the mayor’s increasingly large collection of figurines. He had just issued a mandate for two more of the stupid things, so I promptly sold the four bins of existing figurines, and delayed completing the mandate. Without a trade ban in place, we got away with it scot-free. Then crafted two figurines, after the caravan left.

At the beginning of 223, we get a halfway-decent siege!

Still not big enough to deploy Mistem the uber-dwarf, but we can use the ettin. Even unarmed, he quickly slaughters the entire siege, then is caged back without incident. Most of the goblin corpses rise as normal zombies, but that’s to be expected.

Hilariously, one of the goblins was unarmed; instead, he carried a book with him, and managed to kill a zombie wombat with it. I’m disproportionately happy to get some new reading material, our entire civilization literally has a single book, and I’m beyond sick of “DellReigned and the Universe”.

In summer, more good news: our human allies have finally sent us a caravan. Only two wagons, and fairly sparse, it was nonetheless traded with at over 300% profit, and bribed gifted with even more valuables, to rapidly increase their bad opinion of us.

In autumn, the dwarven caravan followed. It occurs to me that now that we have caravans, we don’t really need them anymore; the fort is well armed, well armored, well dressed, and has food to spare. The only thing that caravans can bring is even more iron… which we can now ‘extract’ from goblins.

Speaking of goblins… it’s time to beat on them some more. All four squads are sent to a dark pit each:

They return in the same month; all pits were fairly close after all. None of them has fallen yet, and CleanedWraiths has managed to go from 20 to 30 inhabitants, despite the slaughter. On the other hand, armor problems were nowhere near as bad this time. While all 40 dwarves did find themselves technically unarmored, they still retained armor in their inventory, and hauled it back inside the fort. There was another slight glitch where all squaddies besides the leader were regarded as civilians; this one goes away fast if the game is saved and reloaded (and I mean from Dwarf Fortress’ normal interface, not with quicksave).

Goblins retaliate very quickly; in winter, we are sieged. Still not a large siege, about on par with the previous one:

At first, they’re ignored; 40-odd dwarves need to go dress themselves, and there’s a strange mood going on too. This ends up being in our favor, because the goblins find, fight and kill yet another were-chameleon:

Then the ettin comes out to play once more. He does, of course, make short work of the invaders, but he ain’t doing too hot either: syndrome zombie or not, all these battles are taking their toll on the semi-megabeast:

Heck, you can even see his guts trailing after him:

Back into the fort: after a month and a half, the army is still not putting on all armor, despite being removed from all jobs. So, I resort to the tried and true method: disband squads, let dwarves walk around for an in-game week or so, then recreate the squads.

And that’s how winter ends: with more than half the fort getting dressed, and a surface in dire need of cleanup.

This was the turn until Sunday/yesterday. I’ll continue playing today & tomorrow, then post the second part and the save on Wednesday at the latest.

The failed trading request to the Ghouls was a gamble that didn't pan out. I sent the axe-dwarves to 'demand tribute', the only way to contact an invisible civilization without starting an outright war; Dwarf Fortress chose to start a war regardless. Oh well. There's about 900 of them, they'll get slaughtered.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 07:51:03 am by StrikaAmaru »

xkcd1963

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 02, 2022, 12:59:55 am »

It had been a cumbersome journey to the ungodly tooth as this fields were ravaged with unpassable rafts and boulders. The dry air was polluted with dust and the smell of rotting flesh. The sun and the moon here were always fogged with eerie mist. In short, nothing here was friendly to life and nobody was expected to traverse these haunted fields. Nobody, until recently. Some few dwarfs who dared to leave their encampment and had the nerves to ask our chieftain for .. what was it? Trading? Ospog Olotoso didn't understand why the chieftain would not stripe their skin right there where they had stood. The situation was altogether perplexing. The few dwarves who remained in the Land Of Brilliance were enslaved. And to see free and armed dwarves was indeed alarming. Ospog was old enough to remember the time before the time. Gruesome dwarves would kill his parents and ravage through the goblin ranks. But with cunning and endurance, their strength had diminished fast.
The strange dwarves were dismissed, and Ospog and four others were tasked to follow them and to figure out where they come from.
He had only heard spooky rumours of the order of fire. The smell of sulfur was intense. The glow of the mountain was visible from afar. A many bodies and garbage lay here. Indeed a sign of a dwarfen presence. But which reasonable living thing would come here, yet even establish something permanent? This did not make sense.
At first we were not able to locate any building or dwarf but once the heavy fog lifted, a small tower showed itself protruding the sky. We found an entrance shortly after. It was not obvious at all and somewhat well hidden.
Technically we had found what looked like an dwarfen fortress, but still one had to establish whether the dwarves were here, and how many of them lived here. My comrades head on first in the narrow tunnel. Nothing looked inordinately at glance. But a few steps inside caused the floor and walls to roar strange noices, this caused iron rods to move in the passage and entrap my comprades. I was lucky enough to be outside of the range of this new type of weapon. My comrades waned in panic but there was nothing I could do. I decided I would return and report of our mission. What fate my comrades took is unknown to me. If nothing else, exciting times lay ahead.

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 03, 2022, 01:51:44 am »

Well, my dream to finally give the save on time is once again dashed; I haven't had time to play, and I have 3 concurrent projects that are almost complete (surface cleanup, surface defenses, cave sealing). Say, Friday/Saturday?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 03, 2022, 02:19:13 am »

At first, they’re ignored; 40-odd dwarves need to go dress themselves, and there’s a strange mood going on too. This ends up being in our favor, because the goblins find, fight and kill yet another were-chameleon:

goblins making themselves useful, hmmm?

your efforts to map the world are awesome and detailed!

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 07, 2022, 01:23:33 pm »

At some point in my life, I will learn to set goals matching the time I have to execute them. That point is not now. Have part 2 of 3 of this never-ending turn of mine. Part 3 will follow tomorrow, along with the save. Right now, I'm just tired.

Year 224.

Spring was pleasantly boring, occupied with domestic tasks.

But in summer, a new siege has arrived. This one was a bit larger, closer to 60 than the 30-ish that had previously bugged us. I chose to finally release Mistem the eerie mist zombie hammer-dwarf.

The fighting mostly happened on the slopes west of the central entry. I briefly believed this would prevent any good screenshots, until I remembered multilevel exists:

Mistem ran straight into the goblins' siege, leaving a trail of goblin blood and body parts behind him. But it wasn’t an entirely one-sided slaughter: Mistem is accumulating wounds, that will never heal:

Before the battle:

After the battle:

Part of the reason might be his less-than-complete armor; he was trapped with full gear, so I do wonder if some of his armor was stripped away by dwarves, or if it simply broke while Mistem slaughtered the entire siege by himself.

Oh well, time to trap him once again. The first cages were filled with freshly risen goblin zombies, but there’s still five or six cages left to catch Mistem… oh come on, how are you trapavoid all of a sudden?!?

My only option is to call the army; there are no doors left to lock, and the inner bridge will not be raised in time. Luckily, no new eerie mist infections occur, and Mistem is killed at the cost of one dead dwarf, and five wounded who required hospitalization.

The aftermath of the siege is largely ignored; I finally figured out what I want to do for defenses. I’m going to reuse the old and cursed trade depot space, and turn it into a trap corridor; or maybe just a room to station dwarves before letting them loose. Next to it, there will be the Slaughter Tower -- a tower dedicated to processing siege results, both sentient and not.

‘Course, the first attempt at building the tower is constantly interrupted by many new zombies, rising from the summer siege. Even worse, the combination of sludge rain, zombies, and simply going outside after so long underground means that every step outside comes with a mood penalty. In less than two months, the fort goes from two almost-mended dwarves to two very unhappy dwarves and four unhappy ones. So, work is stopped, and the population is allowed to decompress over autumn.

Also, we traded with the dwarven caravan, everybody washed up thus expending all our soap, and several new stockpiles were laid down for diorite blocks (for the benefit of the tower), and for silver and copper bars (to clear out the smelteries); nothing really interesting occurred.

In winter, though… in winter we get a proper siege. Two and a half pages of invaders, including beak dogs and trolls.

Spoiler: Full Siege: (click to show/hide)

I immediately decide to let loose the ettin, for the final time; there’s no way he’ll survive this. And indeed, he doesn’t.

He does extract a heavy cost, but not enough to break the siege. No syndrome infections happened, either.

Then, the siege is free to turn its attention on the fort. The trolls especially mean that our door system is about to go kaput; likewise, the gem windows decorating the central tower. Some half of the siege makes its way indoors, through broken doors and filled traps, despite the inner bridge having been raised since the siege started; then they kinda just stop. All but one troll, who entered the central tower and started smashing windows. One by one, and all alone.

I don't know if he climbed the outer walls, or if he just went up the center stair. That's one bit I missed.

Meanwhile, the army has been assembling in the training room. Forty hammer-dwarves and ten crossbow-dwarves are about to be unleashed on the remaining goblins. The bridge is dropped, and the middling two squads are sent down the old trap corridor, to annihilate trolls and goblins alike. Meanwhile, the weakest squad is sent up the tower to kill that oversized vandal before he runs out of windows (the gems are then forbidden; don’t want dwarves wasting time hauling them to stockpiles).

The goblins break before dwarves, and retreat mostly to the west, in the same direction they’ve arrived from. In the end, I guess around 10-15 of the original siege have survived; mostly by running faster than their peers.

With the siege broken, work on the tower can begin anew. I leave a squad of hammerers on an outcropping overlooking the carnage; their job is to kill off any rising zombies. Plus, the crossbow dwarves are stationed on top of the new corridor, to deal with the ever-present and infinitely-annoying fliers that keep pestering dwarves.

But, I don’t have much luck this time. The corpses on the inside have started rotting, and I won’t risk stacking miasma debuffs on top of all the other usual debuffs. Everybody is called inside; let’s go look at that cavern for a little bit…

The cavern has already had its two last open water sources obsidianized. Incidentally, this also annihilated ole Amas the Tin Monster -- for reasons known only to the AI, it had climbed up one of the magma nozzles, and stayed there (obviously, the channel connected to the nozzle was sealed with a fortification since it was made). Amas simply melted when magma was pumped over him.

Now, there’s ‘only’ the matter of dealing with all the zombies up all the trees, and the trees themselves. Easier said than done… and a plan for the next year. It is the end of Obsidian.

Year 225.

The year begins with an abortive siege; a few goblins crop up on the northern map edge, then leave right away. With the benefit of hindsight, I’m going to say this is the second goblin civilization, declaring war upon us.

Also, a baby has been born in FriendlyTreason! Given the dying status of our civilization, that is excellent news indeed! We may yet rise to conquer the world, and in the end, isn’t that all that matters?

Back to the zombies. A room was excavated in the roof near the tree. The plan is heavily inspired by the northern tree’s clearing: to punch a single path above the tree, and let zombies come to the dwarves. This… mostly works. Two civilians manage to somehow descend on the tree’s surface; they can’t get back up in the fort, they refuse to jump down on the obsidian, and the army can’t follow them on the tree, so they both die.

I had a slight savescum here: I tried to restrain dwarf access just by forbidding all items; if there’s nothing for dwarves to get, they won’t go there, I naively thought. But of course they went there anyway, because dwarves are stupid, and I soon had 6 dead dwarves. I did not accept that, and the game died so dwarves can live.

Learning from the above, the dangerous area was removed from the Underground burrow, and locked away with magma-safe doors. I know from the other annoying tree that the undead will leave large amounts of body parts behind, so at least one magma flood will be needed.

Dwarves then carve a dedicated access path through the rock bordering the former lake; one of the squads descends, and kills off as many undead as possible. But there are still plenty sitting in the damned tree, and the corpses have already started stinking… time to withdraw, and let magma flow:

And this is where summer finds me: waiting for magma to evaporate. The human caravan has arrived, and I’ve bought most of their books in exchange for large troll clothes, and normal-size rags from goblins and dwarves.

Once that's done, I turn my attention to the second, slightly less zombie-filled area of the cave. There are supposed to be only four undead (crundles don't count) capable of free movement, currently sitting in the leaves of a spore tree. The undead blocked under various tree bits won't move until we allow them.

I figure the army can deal with the four; then, a miner can punch holes through the obsidian to release the hidden zombies, and when those are done in, woodcutters can cut the trees and the wall can finally, finally, be built.

It mostly went according to plan; the only complication was one military dwarf, who fought a crundle and dodged into a 1-deep magma pool on the first obsidian island, where he was not supposed to be. At least it resulted in some interesting game output, across the next two months, while his gear melted and cooled back down:

These strange metal lumps, and one pair of excellent steel greaves that will be reused, are all that remains of the dwarf’s gear:

That incident aside, most of the second island is sealed off. Work had to cease because of a sudden influx of undead, most of them crundles and bugbats. Through sheer numbers and dwarven stupidity, they manage to kill another woodcutter; we are now at 71 dwarves (two jumped in the zombie tree, one evaporated in magma, and now this moron). I still blame the quasi-armor implementation of miners and woodcutters for their unfounded bouts of courage.

Autumn: a siege was lucky enough to spawn directly in the depot airlock, and nowhere else. They’re far fewer than the last siege, have no trolls, and only one beak dog. I’ll have to check in Legends which of the two goblin civs is bugging us; it might be the Ghouls that I tried to trade with.

The first three hammerer squads are called to deal with them. The dwarves barely even have to slow down in the process of slaughtering the siege; by the 6th there are no more goblins in FriendlyTreason:

Ultimately, we may still lose the dwarven caravan; although the siege itself got mulched, most of the corpses are still in the corridor, and all it takes is one lucky undead to scare those chickenshit traders into leaving.

Except we get lucky, and the six wagons of the caravan pass through the corpses without any of them rising to bite. Any future undead goblins were re-killed by a strategically positioned squad, and we trade without incident. Too bad the dwarven caravan has almost nothing we need right now; I only buy some fire clay, some magnetite, and a few bits of fish. And the caravan’s luck holds because they also leave without any complications (ok, almost; one trader somehow decides to leave through the second cavern, and quickly runs into zombies; but aside from that, everybody left safely).

The rest of autumn is spent cleaning up after the siege, walling up the two little lake edges, and finishing up the non-tree bits of the obsidian island. One crossbow-dwarf dies at some point; I don’t even know when or how. Screw it, I’m done with the second cavern. It’s as safe as can be made with the dumb tree in the way, and with the unbeatable zombies holding court. So, y’know, not really safe. I'm pretty sure I'll never talk about this area again, so have some screenshots:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now, only the tower and the surface remain. And internal cleaning, I suppose. Just as well, winter starts with another siege; again a small(ish) one, the presence of elves in the troops marks them as being from the Nightmare of Coasts; they took over an elven retreat, once upon a time.

Once again, they’re being ignored for the first two months. I really cannot stress enough how much hauling there is to be done. But once that’s more or less done, the army of FriendlyTreason makes very short work of them. No casualties on our side, of course. And with a whole month left in the year, I can get more work done on the tower…

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 09, 2022, 03:41:51 pm »

As I’ve gotten in the habit, here is the save, on 228-02-21; linked both at start and end for ease of access.

Part 3: Years 226-8

Wonder of wonders, this spring, summer and autumn we don’t get any sieges. This lets me finally complete the tower without any major interruptions. Unless you count a were-chameleon in late spring to be a major interruption:

He went down to two hammer-dwarves without inflicting any bite wounds, so personally I filed him under minor interruptions. The combat log is some 2 pages of this:

However, what was a major and unsettling interruption was the game’s apparent inability to spawn this bastard on the edge. Dwarf Fortress crashed twice in the third month, after 15th but before 21st, the date of the full moon. It was only after seeing the were-chameleon that I finally figured out why.

Nothing I can do about it anyway; fast forward to autumn when the tower was sealed from the outside:

The inside still needs a few floors to be finished; I ran out of granite during construction. Then I can clean the place good and proper, and assign barracks to all squads, so they don’t cave-adapt and get nauseous when it’s time to go outside; might even build a new franchise of our tavern in a level.

Happiness has tanked correspondingly; there are now 10 varyingly unhappy dwarves, many of them drafted, and one of them an actual squad leader. This prompted a slight military reorganization; I ended up with only 3 hammer squads and the crossbow one, but at least every dwarf still drafted is doing fine.

Winter:

Time to try out the new toys:

Dwarves rocked, as expected. Now let’s see how the cleanup fares; first, the old stockpiles in the third cave are disabled and diminished, or outright deleted in the case of the corpses’ pile. Back on this level, a rapid access route is deconstructed through the fortifications, and all fortifications that have a body part in them are also marked to be torn down -- there’s no other way to get them out.

The Slaughter Tower gets its first use: a corpses stockpile is designated, and a new quantum stockpile will dump its contents into an equally new atom smasher. Later, part of this pile will be removed in favor of a small refuse stockpile, to gather up some animal corpses too; but for now, we have to process a ton of goblins and exactly one (1) beak dog.

It goes well enough; in the two+ months until the year ended, all corpses were dumped and atom-smashed; the fortifications were rebuilt, and now all that’s left is cleaning up the actual corridor; a far cry from the two-season cleanup incurred by the last siege. Which, as an aside, hasn’t yet reached the stage we’re at here: all clothes and some armor pieces are still littering the trade corridor; something else to do before I turn in the save…

To clean all the detritus from the corridor, I set up a dump in the former atrium. It’s probably going to be reused after future sieges:

I’ve considered moving the melting operation in the tower too; there are still two iron minecarts filled with magma in the smithing area. Eventually, I decided to leave the melting job where it is; even if goblin armor won’t have to be hauled, the bars still would, so I would have increased hauling jobs, not decreased them. Anyway, if anybody needs a 4-deep magma pit, you’ve got the minecarts right here:

Year 227 begins with death. Not violent death, for a change, just the normal death of old age that’s at the end of the story for all dwarves and their pets:

Better station a squad here; by sheer numbers, some will rise again before getting hauled. And oh for crying out loud, it was the caged jabberer. Dying somehow punted it out of the cage, and for a brief time, there was a zombie jabberer loose in the meat processing area. Then the squad made it dead-dead, and that was that.

Well, almost; nobody got to the sow in time, so it rezzed and killed a pet sheep; said pet sheep and a pet turkey were then hauled to the corpses stockpile up in the Slaughter Tower; being pets, they’re stored in a corpse pile, not in a normal refuse pile. Both resurrected on the way, were promptly killed again, and brought back down. Pointless work, how I don’t like you.

Once that’s done, I nearly let the dwarves outside; except an eerie mist zombie owl is flying around, and I don’t want to risk another batch of legendary dwarves getting syndrome’d. It’s then replaced with a flock of eerie mist ravens, and I give up on the surface for a while. Lemme go clean up that trade corridor I mentioned…

Partly motivated by the death of the jabberer, I finally go and train the caged animals, the one cave dragon and two jabberers. It went extremely poorly:

The fort has a grand-master animal trainer, how did he screw this up so badly? Were any of the other, less-skilled bozos also enabled? Did he just roll a 1 on competence this time? Either way, the cave dragon gets slaughtered; I won’t risk her going berserk in the middle of the fort, and her stats are garbage anyway.

The jabberers are both left in the care of the above-mentioned animal trainer; the plan was that if their training improves, they’ll be chained up in a nook and left to breed. Eventually, this does pan out; though I’ll leave it to the next overseer to usher in a new generation of tame jabberers. There are already two fertile eggs laid; we may yet supplement our army with war jabberers!

By the way, did you know jabberers have feelings too?

In summer, we get another siege; 50-60 goblins, without trolls or beak dogs. The corridor is used again, and the army does annihilate most invaders without incident. But nearly half the corpses rise as undead, which puzzles me; aren’t hammers supposed to minimize that?

The zombie goblins somehow manage to achieve what they couldn’t do while living: they kill one of the hammer-dwarves. That’s even more impressive when you remember zombies have neither armor nor weapons. I’m seriously wondering if the 1-tile corridor is a detriment to dwarves, and if it would be better to tear down the fortifications in favor of a simple room, where dwarves (and their enemies, I guess) can dodge in peace.

Anyway, for the time being the whole mess is left alone; the human caravan has arrived, and everybody is on rag hauling duty. And by the time that’s done, I decide to keep the zombies as a welcome gift for the next siege. Because nothing says “you’ve come to the wrong fortress” than being attacked by your former buddies :V

But, for the rest of my turn, no more sieges have appeared. This is oddly disappointing; I have those ~25 zombies loitering around, and no one to unleash them on. I’ll leave it to the next overseer to go to Shift-F4, station the army in the corridor to actually handle the siege, and pull this lever to let the zombies out & let the invaders in (to their deaths):

The rest of summer and most of autumn were spent slaughtering some of the more feeble animals; with animal breeding running unchecked, there were a lot of them.

Winter meant surface cleaning. For the three months of it, all corpses on the surface were hauled to the base of the Slaughter Tower; any sentients were auto-dumped into the atom smasher, any zombies were manually dumped into the same, and the animals were butchered. Then a less destructive dumping operation has started; the nearest pieces of… whatever… on the northern side of the surface have been stored in a dump zone near the entry. (the southern ones can get moved to a different pile; either by the Top Entrance, or by the Tower; whichever one is most convenient).

And "later" had turned out to be the first half of spring 228; I’d rather not leave a ton of hauling jobs for the next guy, but on the other hand my turn is never going to end if I try to do every little thing I can see. So here is the save, on 228-02-21. There is one active dumping zone in front of the depot (Shift-F5), for dwarven worn clothes; when traders arrive, you can always un-forbid that tile, and sell the old clothes for ridiculous amounts of money.

-------========= Random Gubbinz Time ==========----------

Also on the surface: I’ve cut most of the trees; besides needing the wood, they had all kinds of corpse bits stuck in them. If I’m going to really clean the surface, then they all have to go.

The top of the Slaughter Tower is somehow part of the forest biome, not the mountain; it doesn’t get covered in bitter sludge, and did manage to spawn eerie mist. Thankfully, said mist never got into the tower:

Same deal with the Top Entrance; that last vertical strip of construction can generate mist.

I’m not all that worried, the only mist zombie incidents have originated from animals, not contaminants themselves. About which, I cannot stress enough, DO NOT LET DWARVES OUTSIDE IF ANY EERIE MIST ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT.

Back indoors:

I changed the kitchen area: all stockpiles were enlarged, and fat/lye were moved in their own section. The central stockpile, by the way, is exclusively for prepared meals; this doesn’t even count the other smaller piles made in tavern locations.

In the butchery, the cage traps were replaced with weapon traps, made with 10 picks each. That’s enough for the skins, scales and wool that rises from the butchery. As for the picks, there was once upon a time a ‘make copper picks’ task that went on for way longer than it should have…

Remember Tharumi, the Forgotten Beast composed of fire that left ‘flames’ as its only body part? Well those flames are burning still, pretty frickin’ hot actually:

(Hotter than the real-life surface of the Sun, and iirc closer to a blue star like Sirius; suffice to say, the game cuts some corners with physics).

I tried mounting the thing on a golden pedestal; the pedestal was vaporized as soon as it came into contact with the ‘body part’. Good thing that kind of check isn’t done for dwarven hands, or an entire fort could be wiped out by a single dead imp.

It’s currently sitting in the bone stockpile, probably due to dwarves not being really sure what to do with it. I can sympathize, neither am I.

I’d like to introduce you to the weirdest dwarf in FriendlyTreason: our mayor (mayoress?) Moldath LashedJails. She is the only ecstatic dwarf in a fort of saner, more balanced dwarves, who tend to stay in the ‘fine’ zone of the happiness spectrum (that or be straight up unhappy, like a normal sentient forced to live in FriendlyTreason):

Depending on how her psych profile is interpreted, she is either a hopelessly naive, unjustifiably optimistic lunatic, or the beating heart of the entire fort, holding everyone together and pushing everything forwards in conditions that would have made anyone else simply lay down and die:

The ettin’s weapons have been logged in Legends; we have been accused of stealing them. Which, y’know, is actually true; I did take them from the mist-stained hands of the ettin, and planted them on a pedestal somewhere. But still, the accusation stings!

And again, the save, on 228-02-21

xkcd1963

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 12, 2022, 07:41:52 pm »

:D :D :D
I'm gonna update the front page soon. Who's interested for the next turn? Also I wanted to make a list of all ur screenshots etc.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12