Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 31

Author Topic: Can delphonso make a commercial game?  (Read 48928 times)

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can delphonso make a commercial game?
« Reply #360 on: March 09, 2023, 02:11:09 pm »

If it fits the theme, I might try to make a diet version of DF legends. Not really a 'game', but should be manageable in 3 hours, and is an interesting project.

As for the commerical game...christ I haven't really thought about or worked on it at all. Maybe I'll try to figure out a fishing minigame instead, or just to learn the new engine features.
Text can be... quite alot of work.

Like, there's a reason most games avoid text like the plague.
Aka it's just as much work as pictures except not as cool or interesting.

Of course, now I'm back on my discord bot making something with exactly that. (and way too much boilerplate)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: March 09, 2023, 07:22:39 pm »

That's true, but I also have a lot of experience with it and know I can crank out a lot of madlib content in just a few minutes. Pictures on the other hand...take ages for me.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: March 15, 2023, 12:09:10 am »

Okay, the jam's topic comes out in 3 hours - I'll likely have a good chunk of time to work on it this weekend, and then send it off to my buddy to make music (he's also put himself in the 3 hour time limit, which is fun.)

Assuming the topic can fit this Legend-lite thing I've been thinking about, that'll be what I do. If not, well...I guess I'll need to figure something else out entirely.

I made a prototype of a fish-population legend-mode. Allowing you to click on a procgenned map and be told a type of fish there. Unfortunately the distribution is fully random at this point (as in, all oceans have the same list of fish, when in reality, I'd like both regional (northern fish and southern fish) and depth (near-shore and deep sea) discrimination. That said, it was a successful and quick project that I then set about remaking in Godot 4.

Then I realized how different Godot 4 is. It's pretty different. Maybe as different as the jump from Python 2 to Python 3. Many of the things I used are now completely different.

Some examples:
OpenSimplexNoise allows you to generate noise (like white-noise on a TV), obviously. This has been replaced by FastNoiseLite, which also has a host of different methods. Though, generating noise from a seed is still the same.

Tilemaps were fully re-written. Most of the functions you can call from a tilemap are gone or changed - including the essential tilemap.get_cell(coordinates) which would just tell you what tile is at that cell. I used this in the tactics prototype as well, so it's something I'm relying on. Tilemaps now have several different getters and they're a bit more complicated now. But far more versatile. Tilemaps now work with layers very easily, which is something that was frustrating me in previous 3.5 projects.

There's also some small changes to thing I always use such as OS.get_window_size() - which has now been changed to DisplayServer and has its own methods. A lot to learn here!

After this jam, I'll remake this fishing world gen thing and see if I can make things regional without too much work. It's a project I'm, for some reason, really into - and would be pretty good for learning how Tilemaps now work.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 15, 2023, 01:07:06 am »

Seems strange that they changed how some things worked when they updated, you'd think they'd keep already established things the same to ease people into the new version.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: March 15, 2023, 07:39:31 am »

Some were fully necessary changes. The tilemap editor in Godot 3.5 is both unintuitive and clumsy (easy to make mistakes with no clear undo capacity) - so that's a welcome overhaul. OpenSimplexNoise is also quite slow, so it required a revamp as well (noise is often used to generate things like fog and water effects).

Some shifts make less sense to me, but I haven't learned enough about them to fully understand /why/ the changes were made, which I expect will justify them.

The Jam's topic is "Madness Everywhere!" and about 40 people have joined as well! The topic made me instantly think of "Weird War" stuff, so maybe I'll make a legends-lite that's about an island that steampunk allies are trying to claim from undead nazis?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: March 16, 2023, 03:17:59 am »

That sounds pretty cool. Also what is weird war, I haven't heard of that one.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: March 16, 2023, 07:12:22 am »

That sounds pretty cool. Also what is weird war, I haven't heard of that one.
There's a series called "World War Weird" (never seen, read the listings) that covered 'out there' elements of WW2, like the Japanese fire-balloons sent against the US, vehicle prototypes that never-where but could-havehbeen and some of the odder and less well known operations in general.

Then then there's also a horror-based war-set RPG system.

But I took it as more that of hyperfanciful V-weapons (and allied equivalents), in the vein of Return To Castle Wolfenstein (and/or the mystical side of "what the Nazis might have done"). Perhaps the Red Alert (Command and Conquer) sort of thing, with factions, scope and gameplay design of whatever kind. But there's all kinds of possibilities. I shall await any announcements by the thread owner before trying to pollute their decision-making with too many of my own wilder theories as to where this could lead. ;)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: March 16, 2023, 09:43:51 am »

Yeah that's more or less what I was referring to. Mostly the Castle Wolfenstein weird tech-magic. I began work on the game - the code is quite simple and I cracked it out in about 15 minutes. Then I spent about an hour writing lines for the madlibs - which teetered a bit away from Weird War and took some inspiration from the books I've been reading lately (Solaris, Roadside Picnic, and War of the Worlds.) Everything is still a bit mad and reckless. This leaves me with an hour and a half to tie it all into a graphical interface, and build the basic architecture of scene transitions, music, etc. This is going to be tight, honestly.

I've got a timer that is keeping track of my work - total so far is 1 hour, 18 minutes.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: March 16, 2023, 12:10:02 pm »

Weird War is a nice genre! With WWI there's all manner of Lovecraftian possibilities and then with WWII all the Nazi Occult stuff (which Wolfenstein builds on).

The topic made me instantly think of "Weird War" stuff, so maybe I'll make a legends-lite that's about an island that steampunk allies are trying to claim from undead nazis?

Wouldn't that be more dieselpunk than steampunk if it's set in the interwar period? ;) (Just saying because steampunk got absolutely ruined when it became all goggles and top hats, thanks to the goths. *hisses*)

Also, undead nazis. There's a whole lot of really, really bad b-movies with nazi zombies and occult stuff.

This one I haven't seen, but the concept is quite the WTF!?:

A young woman discovers that she is the focus of an evil Nazi experiment involving selective breeding and summoned elves, an attempt to create a race of supermen. She and two of her friends are trapped in a department store with an elf, and only Dan Haggerty, as the renegade loose-cannon Santa Claus, can save them.

Edit. The list has some good ones, too. One of my favourite found footage films is Frankenstein's Army. If you're into (bad) zombie flicks, WWII and weird monsters combined, I highly recommend it!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: March 17, 2023, 02:45:26 am »

I wish more horror related things would use WWI as a back drop, so much potential yet to be used.

A young woman discovers that she is the focus of an evil Nazi experiment involving selective breeding and summoned elves, an attempt to create a race of supermen. She and two of her friends are trapped in a department store with an elf, and only Dan Haggerty, as the renegade loose-cannon Santa Claus, can save them.

Edit. The list has some good ones, too. One of my favourite found footage films is Frankenstein's Army. If you're into (bad) zombie flicks, WWII and weird monsters combined, I highly recommend it!
Those sound beautiful, I'm gonna see about watching those soon.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: March 17, 2023, 03:31:13 am »

I don't reference Nazis specifically, though I do set the dates during WWII, but obviously with some alternate timeline stuff happening (countries at war are derived from a 'government type' and then a 'country name'. So you get Kingdom of Germany, as an example).

Elves sounds like a perfect movie.

Hopefully will finish the game tonight, post it here, and send it off to the music guy.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: March 17, 2023, 04:08:46 am »

The hype, it grows!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: March 17, 2023, 10:04:41 am »

https://delphonso.itch.io/delph

A download for a 32 bit Windows version is there too!

It's up! I've got about 20 minutes left to iron any bugs out and to add in the music manager, etc - easy work, really.

It's....a lot less impressive than I hoped. But for 3 hours, this is pretty dang good, I'd say. I've come a long way since two years ago. There are still like...5 days left in the jam, so I'll wait to submit it until music is managed.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 10:07:53 am by delphonso »

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: March 17, 2023, 11:35:44 am »

So far looking good! I like that you've taken the DF route and kept the descriptions vague. Makes your imagination run wild, and there's plenty of potential to create a (mini-)campaign for some Lovecraftian WWII ttrpg. :)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: March 18, 2023, 04:36:30 am »

That thing is pretty cool, could probably use it for the base of a game if you wanted, also I'm still impressed that something like this can be made in such a short amount of time.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 31