Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17

Author Topic: Epic Free Game of the Week  (Read 33901 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Epic Free Game of the Week
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2022, 09:50:08 pm »

Interesting, I've only played it a little bit so far, and I did get the feeling that there was a very large rng element to the game, I'd pick up the items, mostly trying to make it so I can one shot the enemies before they hit me or if they had a good enough effect, but it felt like it was a bit of a crap shoot if I'd get the items and upgrade shrines that allowed me to stay "ahead of the curve" and proceed just smacking down everyone. Or if I'd just start to take too much damage because my stats were too low and then die. That said, I can believe that memorization of the items and where to get them and when to reroll could lead to surpassing the curve to win more often then not. In the end I've not won yet, although I did reach, presumably, the boss, but then got fucked because I didn't realize the boss was ranged in time and just got shot to death.

The games sorta not grabbed me just because it feels less obvious how to make a "build". But I guess it's probably more about just rolling with whatever you get and making it work? Tbh I think I'm probably going to play it some more to attempt to "get it" if it is indeed possible to consistently win once you have "gotten" it.

Also, they call it a card game on their website, and Robsoie called it a card game. But I think that has stretched the definition past the breaking point :P As far as I can tell there's no hand, there's no deck, there's only a card aesthetic around the gear when you pick it and the enemies have a rectangular border around them so they are "cards". If you remove that rectangular border around the enemies and the gear, there's be nothing in the game that's card gamy at all :P.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 09:53:30 pm by Criptfeind »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2022, 10:46:39 pm »

Interesting, I've only played it a little bit so far, and I did get the feeling that there was a very large rng element to the game, I'd pick up the items, mostly trying to make it so I can one shot the enemies before they hit me or if they had a good enough effect, but it felt like it was a bit of a crap shoot if I'd get the items and upgrade shrines that allowed me to stay "ahead of the curve" and proceed just smacking down everyone. Or if I'd just start to take too much damage because my stats were too low and then die. That said, I can believe that memorization of the items and where to get them and when to reroll could lead to surpassing the curve to win more often then not. In the end I've not won yet, although I did reach, presumably, the boss, but then got fucked because I didn't realize the boss was ranged in time and just got shot to death.

The games sorta not grabbed me just because it feels less obvious how to make a "build". But I guess it's probably more about just rolling with whatever you get and making it work? Tbh I think I'm probably going to play it some more to attempt to "get it" if it is indeed possible to consistently win once you have "gotten" it.

The boss is obvious; you really can't miss it. (Literally; there's a conversation/decision involved.)

It's less about particular builds, and more about the general concepts. I've pulled off a win with every stat being the dumpstat, and every stat being the primary. Certain combos work especially well, some equipment should be used for only short terms-- There's a mask that gives you +1mainstat/-1maxhp per kill... Very powerful, but unless you switch it out or have some way to generate a lot of +maxhp, you're going to kill yourself quickly. Figuring out how pieces fit together

Spoiler: Tips. (click to show/hide)
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2022, 04:16:38 am »

noticed Ring of Pain just got an update , no idea what it does, maybe related to some epic problem, as i had some difficulty to launch the game for at least 5mn after install with Legendary (as i don't use the epic launcher) it seems the game was slow to register with your epic account (once it did no more problem), one of the many reasons to dislike those DRM crap :/

Back to the game :
I feel like due to how items you find are given in a very rng-based system in Ring of Pain it seems you don't choose your build, it's the game randomness that will force you into one, at least if you try to survive with every of your playthrough or don't just let yourself die and restart until you get the early items you want for your desired build.
Maybe it's because i have not yet unlocked the best items for the best synergy, but so far i'm very far to see how to win without absurd luck :D

For achievements, the game will unlock an item/card for each of your achievements (out of a few ones), so they're worth ...achieving i guess.
Some items are really good, for a while i was looking forward getting the Misting Vessel as it gives you big stealth bonus for each empty equipment slot ( before i unlocked too many other items so it become rarer for me to obtain it as a treasure regularly ) made it so you could have 100% stealth easily, allowing you to alway succeed the left or right stealth escape, perfect for controlling those chained slime explosion and take down or hurt ridiculously strong enemies.
Also good to reach the exit doors easily when needed.

It's great but it's not totally overpowered as unfortunately some ranged monster will still shoot at you from afar and some jumping monsters will still jump attack you, and abusing the stealth to escape fights also mean less souls collected and many high end treasure mimics impossible to bribe.

The Hermit's Tiara is also fantastic, but again you need to limit your equipment (no more than 4 slots taken by items, be warned that books and scrolls count) as it allows you to freeze an enemy that you will hit, allowing you to continue to strike without fear of retaliation but make sure to strike first (speed value) to avoid getting spanked.

The more i play the more i see that out of the obvious rng (especially for the treasures) there's some nice depth

Carefull with some items that seems interesting, like that armor that reflect 3 damage from each hit on you.
I got a huge slime/blob next to another huge slime, decided to escape (because fighting would kill the slime but its explosion damage would one shot me) unfortunately my stealth failed and so the slime attacked , my armor reflected and killed the slime.
And what does a slime that die : it explode, insta killing me :D
« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 04:28:01 am by Robsoie »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2022, 07:51:51 am »

Regarding side rooms: Do as many of them as you can-- they're extra kills and loot without advancing 'deeper'. Learn what they are though, as each room's gimmick can hardcounter a specific build, or just be a bigger headache than it's worth.

I suspect that this is one of the most important thing to learn, thus far my experience with side rooms is that sometimes I just die in them, and sometimes they are easy and I just get a ton of loot and push myself above the curve. Exploring them to try to learn which is which though and what builds are good vs what areas has been the source of more then a few deaths so far :P.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 07:54:04 am by Criptfeind »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2022, 02:33:35 pm »

Some items are really good, for a while i was looking forward getting the Misting Vessel as it gives you big stealth bonus for each empty equipment slot ( before i unlocked too many other items so it become rarer for me to obtain it as a treasure regularly ) made it so you could have 100% stealth easily, allowing you to alway succeed the left or right stealth escape, perfect for controlling those chained slime explosion and take down or hurt ridiculously strong enemies.
Also good to reach the exit doors easily when needed.

The Hermit's Tiara is also fantastic, but again you need to limit your equipment (no more than 4 slots taken by items, be warned that books and scrolls count) as it allows you to freeze an enemy that you will hit, allowing you to continue to strike without fear of retaliation but make sure to strike first (speed value) to avoid getting spanked.

Misting Vessel is best used as a temporary item to let you pick the order of your fights early on and eventually replaced as your power ramps up and you run out of inventory slots. If you really want to build around it, you probably want an item that lets you phase through blockers so you can always run away and some kind of indirect offense-- building for soul damage is viable, as is that gold sword that attacks on move.

Hermit's Tiara is also either a temporary starter item, or a high-skill build-- a Hermit's Tiara win (Minimalist achievement for most people) is actually one of the trickiest things to pull off.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2022, 11:29:45 pm »

I've been really enjoying Ring of Pain. Played it pretty much all of today, getting both light and dark wins on both normal and medium with the double candle. Statistics panel tells me I'm 4/13 wins with double candle.

I've tried starting a number of times with Scavenger (+1 Clarity per kill if you have 3 or less items), but I think that I try too hard to maximize it, causing me to be too weak to actually win - I'm 0/3 with it; even though I managed to get all the way up to 50ish Clarity on one of my runs.

I think my favorite play is getting the chaotic underwear (starting with it or not), then throwing it into a wishing well for a guilt-free +10 speed.

I will note that, for entirely silly reasons, I'm very sad that I got this game through Epic instead of Steam - according to the Steam global statistics, I've already managed to get a bunch of the really low-percentage achievements (The Boulder (1.2%), Defuser (1.7%), Friend of Vermin (2.0%)); which I'd love to show off - even though no one cares.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 11:39:02 pm by AlStar »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2022, 06:55:55 am »

While i go far now (my best run was a few location from completing the whole circle), i'm still in no condition to hope for a win anytime soon

Sometime i'm just out of my depth in term of stats vs the type of opposition but i see that coming as i didn't found appropriate items until them.
But it sometime happen that i'm lucky with the items i find and i feel i may have a potential winner, but i run into some terrible bad luck like my last run in which managed to get very nice items with high attack and speed enough to be confidently intimidate or kill mostly everything (out of some monsters with insane resistance and damage) but then out of the blue on a new depth i have several mega blobs on both side hunting me without any escape possibility in sight (there was but they were beyond the blobs), the chain explosion atomized my character much to my frustration as again stealth that was my last solution decided to fail me just there :D
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 07:00:00 am by Robsoie »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2022, 04:11:54 am »

PTW I like to know about these games I can't play.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2022, 05:02:59 am »

Ring of Pain is rather light on ressource, so even on a potato you should be able to play.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2022, 05:34:50 am »

Ring of Pain is rather light on ressource, so even on a potato you should be able to play.

Definitely. A few weeks back, I was showing it to my sister on an i7-4xxx running at 200mhz.

(As it turns out, something happened to the heat sink so the CPU was running at 100C for weeks. It wasn't thrilled, but it ran! Redoing the thermal paste dropped it to a much more reasonable 35C.)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 05:58:42 am by Aoi »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2022, 05:56:43 am »

Make sure to enable vsync in case the game is running with too many fps on your system as it would make things heating more, vsync should keep things more stable temperature-wise by capping the fps.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2022, 02:12:59 am »

I'm just gonna say it's less the computer and more the lack of time.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2022, 04:52:36 am »

Ah yes the eternal problem : so many games so little time ...
Solution would be easy : just make days lasting for 26 hours, 2 more hours for daily gaming time should be enough :D

edit : let's see my Ring of Pain stats : 50 runs ... 50 deaths, oh well :D

edit 2 : to my own surprise i managed to win the daily dungeon, the one in which you have 0 attack and several equipped items that will damage who damage you.
to my own disapointement it unlocked nothing at all and there's no worthy achievement (as the "champion of the day" one does not unlock any card) for daily dungeons (i hoped the poison one as this daily dungeon is heavy on poisonning stuff)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 06:54:09 pm by Robsoie »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2022, 12:57:00 pm »

Toyed a couple of minutes with "Submerged: Hidden Depth" , one of the 2 epic store freebie of this week and found it quite nice.

It reminded a bit of Windbound but without the stressing roguelite gameplay and only the relaxing sailing and exploring part.

So far (as i'm only in very early game), the game system is  : sail on the sea toward an "island" (those islands are in fact some crumbled buildings or city parts that are in the sea and are engulfed by some massive darkened plants) , find some items to learn the lore around that specific island and a giant seed , then put that seed on a specific location on the giant plants to "heal" them (turn them green) , then locate another island with your telescope, sail to it and redo the same thing.

Meanwhile you're also learning the how, the why and etc.. of your character and her brother condition, oddities and background and what the hell happened around.
Does not seem to involve combat or survival elements in any ways so far, but it feels very relaxing with its pixar-like cartoony characters, but probably due to the lack of other things it will probably have no replay value once you have discovered everything. 

For the other freebie, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, if you sadly missed the Tomb Raider "Survivor" collection last christmas when they made it freebie, while not my favorite of the 3 , it's still a really good game and very playable on a potato with everything on low. 
I had completed it 2 times, (same as the other 2 games from the Survivor collection, my favorite is still the 1st one, Tomb Raider 2013 ) and that Shadow of the Tomb Raider had the best tombs (and DLC tombs) of the collection, and probably the largest environment of the 3 games.

Tough a bit creepy design with the very detailled realistically modelled people you see around because all men are very tall and all women are very small, there's no diversity of height and weight, sure for nearly every other games it's nearly like that, but with such character details like in that game it stroke me as much more noticable and creepy than in any other games i played :D

The version on epic store, same as in the Tomb Raider collection, is the Definitive Edition that is including all its DLC.
DLC that included more costumes and more importantly : more tombs.
Note : the DLC tombs aren't found by exploring like the default tombs, but are only accessible by taking special side quests that will teleport you to them at some point of those side quests
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 01:09:45 pm by Robsoie »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2022, 01:20:39 pm »

It's Thursday, apparently.

This week's game is Hundred Year: Winemaking Simulator. Aside from their dislike of articles (the, a, etc.), I don't know much about the game.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17