Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18

Author Topic: STEAM: Simple Questions Thread  (Read 28904 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: STEAM: Simple Questions Thread
« Reply #120 on: March 10, 2023, 12:39:22 am »

I thought they were supposed to just grab trinkets from stockpiles (or wherever they could find them), but I'm curious to hear the answer to this too since I have quite a few citizens who are unhappy about being unable to acquire new things and as far as I can tell nobody is despite hundreds of crafts lying around.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 10, 2023, 12:47:11 am »

Dwarves will only acquire crafts while taking them to the stockpile, so your piles of hundreds of crafts won't be claimed unless they need to be hauled somewhere. Bins make this harder to satisfy, as the task is usually done by one dwarf, then. You can set two stockpiles to constantly feed crafts back and forth, but that's exhausting.

I just ignore it, like missing family. A reasonable solution is to remove all crafts from stockpiles and set up a new stockpile for crafts, with no bins. If your dwarves aren't busy, they should all chip in on the movements and satisfy their need. If many still aren't satisfied, extend the stockpile some distance and remove the top portion, so a heap of hauling jobs are created again. Repeat until everyone has a new earring.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 10, 2023, 09:41:26 am »

Good to know, thanks.  That will definitely influence how I lay out my stockpiles in the future.

feorh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 12, 2023, 11:27:22 pm »

Dwarves will only acquire crafts while taking them to the stockpile, so your piles of hundreds of crafts won't be claimed unless they need to be hauled somewhere. Bins make this harder to satisfy, as the task is usually done by one dwarf, then. You can set two stockpiles to constantly feed crafts back and forth, but that's exhausting.
That's about what I (plan) to do. Create 1 stockpile for all "finished" goods; prohibit containers; remove these goods from all other stockpiles; after this stockpile is full create stockpile 2 for all "finished" goods; remove stockpile 1 so that dwarves move all stuff; repeat deleting and creating stockpiles until dwarves are a bit more happy.
I just want to find out which goods are within this "acquire something" range.

DefaultUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 12, 2023, 11:34:13 pm »

That's about what I (plan) to do. Create 1 stockpile for all "finished" goods; prohibit containers; remove these goods from all other stockpiles; after this stockpile is full create stockpile 2 for all "finished" goods; remove stockpile 1 so that dwarves move all stuff; repeat deleting and creating stockpiles until dwarves are a bit more happy.
I just want to find out which goods are within this "acquire something" range.
I tried some methods:
1. Create 3 finished goods stockpiles. Crawtsdwarf workshop -> stockpile 1 -> stockpile 2 -> stockpile 3. Stockpile 1 take from everywhere, 2,3 only from links. When needed make a cycle stockpile 3 -> stockpile 1. They will move goods indefinetily. Turn on / off last link on need. Ofc all without bins.
2. Create 2 stockpiles. Crawtsdwarf workshop -> stockpile 1 -> stockpile 2. 1st - take from anywhere, no bins. 2nd take only from 1st, with bins (to sell all later).
In terms of acquirance both work good. 2nd method works better if you want sell crafts latter.
I noticed that dwarves can acquire: rings, bracelets, earrings, amulets, crowns, scepters. Not sure about figurines in any way.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 13, 2023, 12:33:35 am »

I don't think they'll carry figurines around, but maybe dwarves with preferance for it will put them in their rooms. Wearables for sure work - rings, crowns, etc. Scepters I assume are limited to one per dwarf (to keep a free hand), though dwarves can seemingly wear a hundred crowns without issue.

DefaultUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 13, 2023, 12:59:03 am »

I don't think they'll carry figurines around, but maybe dwarves with preferance for it will put them in their rooms. Wearables for sure work - rings, crowns, etc. Scepters I assume are limited to one per dwarf (to keep a free hand), though dwarves can seemingly wear a hundred crowns without issue.
I saw dwarves with several scepters.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 13, 2023, 08:29:17 am »

Good to know. I can make a fort which only produces figurines and see if anyone satisfies their needs with that.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 13, 2023, 10:11:53 pm »

Is there a way to tell which guilds or religions have requested a formal temple or guildhall?  I see that some show up as yellow in the list, and some as blue, and it's not really clear if that's even what it indicates.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 13, 2023, 10:41:39 pm »

No easy way, as far as I know. If you dedicate a temple or guildhall to the right one, in the details it will say that you have agreed to make a temple/guildhall for the group, and inform you how much value is necessary to accomplish that.

If memory serves, blue in that list means it's for that god, while yellow is a religion based on the god. I.e., Tobul in blue is the god of volcanoes but the Fiery Doctrines in yellow is a religion dedicated to Tobul.

Gods can have multiple sects. So you might have the Fiery Doctrines and the Molten Cult both dedicated to Tobul. Either will be okay to pray in a temple to Tobul, but they won't cross over - so a temple to Fiery Doctrines won't be used by Molten Cult followers.

I don't know of any list of promised halls, though.

Rubinstein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 14, 2023, 11:23:52 am »

I wonder how certain apps like DwarfTherapist can read all these exact numbers, none of which seem to be visible to the player on the UI. Isn't that some kind of cheating? For example, I would have no idea until today that there are also homosexual dwarves (and how modern the game actually is). Or things like 85.6% agility. Where do you see that? Or did I just miss something and the UI does show these things somewhere?

Edit: I guess "cheating" is a bit harsh in this context. Replace it with "exploiting"
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 11:35:09 am by Rubinstein »

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 14, 2023, 12:09:44 pm »

I wonder how certain apps like DwarfTherapist can read all these exact numbers, none of which seem to be visible to the player on the UI. Isn't that some kind of cheating? For example, I would have no idea until today that there are also homosexual dwarves (and how modern the game actually is). Or things like 85.6% agility. Where do you see that? Or did I just miss something and the UI does show these things somewhere?

Edit: I guess "cheating" is a bit harsh in this context. Replace it with "exploiting"

Dwarf Therapist and DFHack (and other utilities) have been so commonly used for so long, that they are practically a part of the game as far as the community is concerned.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Rubinstein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 14, 2023, 12:35:14 pm »

Dwarf Therapist and DFHack (and other utilities) have been so commonly used for so long, that they are practically a part of the game as far as the community is concerned.

Yes, thanks. I wasn't so concerned about the cheating aspect (more of an academic question, really). But I'm still curious about how these apps collect their data. Are they perhaps using existing interfaces for modding?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 14, 2023, 02:15:52 pm »

They inject themselves into Dwarf Fortress by replacing one of the dynamically linked libraries it loads during startup.  DFHack works that way at least, so I assume that Dwarf Therapist does too.

By doing this, they have full access to the program's memory, and after years of careful examination and testing, they've figured out a ton of details about how the program works internally and can retrieve the values directly from memory.

It's definitely not an intended way for modding to work, but Toady doesn't push back on it.  He only doesn't guarantee compatibility with version updates, and leaves it to the community to do what they want.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 14, 2023, 02:21:43 pm »

Look in your folder containing DT and there will be subfolders containing "layout" or "map" files, and when you open one of those files, you'll see the values that tell DT how to find the start of the data chains in memory. I'm fairly sure that once the 3rd-party developers get DFhack's layout file created, they have a script to create the file for DT.

Note, that "85.6% agility" in DT is not the dwarf's agility value, it is the dwarf's agility in relation to the other dwarfs in your fort. If a few dwarfs arrive with a higher agility, that dwarf's value might drop below "85.6% agility".
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18