Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18

Author Topic: STEAM: Simple Questions Thread  (Read 29050 times)

NPK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: STEAM: Simple Questions Thread
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2022, 01:31:39 am »

I have one married couple in my fortress. They had one kid 9 months after marriage and have not had another in six years. Why might that be and what can I do to make them have another?

Context:
17 dwarves, migrants now turned off. (set pop cap to 1)
5000 strict population cap, 1000 baby+child absolute cap, 30 baby+child percentage cap.
The couple have few labors turned on so they spend a lot of time socializing.
The couple is in a military squad together, but they are always off duty and have no barracks assigned, so they do not ever drill or train.
The male of the couple is in most of the managerial/noble roles, but being a small fortress, doesn't spend all that much time performing those tasks.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2022, 02:37:01 am »

Socializing in a tavern, for some reason, is not the same type of socializing where baby-making happens. Turn your tavern (and temples, guildhalls, etc) into a generic meeting area. Also suggest you make it pretty small, since they need to be in adjacent squares - a giant meeting area will never have them close enough together to mate...apparently.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2022, 03:29:41 am »

Thanks! One thing with this release... I am missing some of the screens that just give you random info like civilization, petitions, Etc. Hope some of them get added back in!

You can find the civilization a creature belongs to in the Groups tab of its sheet, and you can find a list of contacted civs in the World screen, which is the Y hotkey or a button on the lower right corner of the screen.

I've googled these and just cannot find these answers:
2. What do the two numbers of the FPS counter mean? One's probably computational and one's graphical, but which is which? Sitting pretty at 100 <47>.

Computational <graphical>

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2022, 02:00:44 pm »

5000 strict population cap, 1000 baby+child absolute cap, 30 baby+child percentage cap.
Can I buy your computer?
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

NPK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2022, 02:29:22 pm »

Well, no migrants, so I don't expect the population to even hit 50. I just set it at max just to see. Don't know if you want a midrange gaming laptop!

el Indio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2022, 07:22:42 pm »

Is there any way to save things like custom military uniforms or stockpiles?  After the first few years of a fort I never use the preset stockpiles, and making a custom uniform (or custom training schedule) isn't a big deal but would be much easier to set up once and just use it on every fort.   

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2022, 07:59:30 pm »

Is there any way to save things like custom military uniforms or stockpiles?  After the first few years of a fort I never use the preset stockpiles, and making a custom uniform (or custom training schedule) isn't a big deal but would be much easier to set up once and just use it on every fort.

My initial response would be "macros" but... I've been having trouble with a mining one (which has its own topic) and I think the answer might be that you can't use mouse clicks in a macro, and I don't remember offhand if there's a way to set up stockpiles with keyboard only. For some things though you could probably use them.

el Indio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2022, 11:56:50 pm »

My initial response would be "macros" but... I've been having trouble with a mining one (which has its own topic) and I think the answer might be that you can't use mouse clicks in a macro, and I don't remember offhand if there's a way to set up stockpiles with keyboard only. For some things though you could probably use them.
Just something like saving embark profiles seems feasible for other stuff, but I doubt it ever gets added.  Stockpiles are quite generic so I tend to get in depth when I create them, like having tallow only for soapmakers along with ash and buckets, seperating raw food materials from finished drinks and meals, as well as seperate stockpile for drink and food.  Military uniforms aren't so bad but I always need to go to the wiki to see what is possible (and I don't assign 16 cloaks and 3 mail shirts per dwarf, I just can't remember all the different layers). 

I don't really want to mess around with macros, I always used DFHack mouse functions where I could in the past.  Hopefully dfhack and/or dwarf therapist could add some QoL functions like this when they are gotten working.

NPK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2022, 10:45:30 am »

Socializing in a tavern, for some reason, is not the same type of socializing where baby-making happens. Turn your tavern (and temples, guildhalls, etc) into a generic meeting area. Also suggest you make it pretty small, since they need to be in adjacent squares - a giant meeting area will never have them close enough together to mate...apparently.

So the idea is, you turn the locations to generic meeting areas for a bit for pregnancy, then later turn them back to their normal functions?

Another question: In difficulty settings, what do the economy triggers do?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2022, 01:58:00 pm »

Exactly, yeah. The tavern thing might have been fixed, but haven't tested it myself. You could also try making a very small tavern zone so they're more likely to be next to each other for a bit.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2022, 02:59:28 pm »

Or you could presumably create other meeting areas that just aren't designated as taverns, but it would rely on them using it at the same time so it would be a crapshoot.

For the difficulty settings, I don't remember the exact numbers, but they'll influence how early you get attacked by various things based on your fort's economic output.  At least that's how it worked historically.  As your fort produces stuff, the game tracks how much value you've produced, and more value = more and bigger attacks.

Question from me: I don't know if anything has changed from earlier versions, but how do you get rid of broken up ramps that don't go anywhere?  I channeled a large section of ground and it left a few random up ramps here and there that don't lead to another level of ground since there is none.  I know older versions of the game had this problem too but I don't remember how to get rid of them.  Can you construct over them and remove the construction or something?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2022, 03:02:49 pm »

In the mining designation there's a 'remove stair/ramp' designation. I forget what it was called pre-50.01, but it was the same there.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2022, 03:31:55 pm »

Just a really small question that I think I already know the answer to: am I correct that there's just no display of (or way to change it so it does display) currently idle dwarfs? I always used to watch that as an indicator that I can throw more work that needs to be done at my dwarfs/need to find busywork/maybe I'm making my dwarfs busier than I thought/there's some problem cropping up.

Like I said, pretty sure it's just not there anymore, but I am REALLY bad with actually noticing/finding things sometimes, so thought I'd ask just in case.

Flying Teasets

• Bay Watcher
  • another nation, or a non-governmental entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2022, 03:34:13 pm »

Will the mantisbt return?
Not here at the moment

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2022, 03:52:53 pm »

A different tracker is being set up to replace it, but no indication as to when as of yet.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18